Latest news:

Next Game: Premiership Cup Sat 21st Sep Away v Worcester Warriors ko 3:00pm
Game After: Premiership Cup Fri 27th Sep Home v Exeter Chiefs ko 7:45pm

All 6 Tigers in England RWC squad
Discussion started by Stopsy , 12 August, 2019 13:46
All 6 Tigers in England RWC squad
Stopsy 12 August, 2019 13:46
Beeb Even if Guscott seemed to suggest Ellis wasn't going.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/08/2019 13:55 by Stopsy.

Re: All 6 Tigers in England RWC squad
Tom Paine 12 August, 2019 14:35
All deserve their selection. But the overall squad poses a few questions, particularly about the scrum half position. First, only taking two is a risk and second is whether Heinz really is the second best (qualified) English SH. I'd have plumped for Spencer who is a lot quicker than Heinz.
I'm also not sure about Daly at Full Back - he is not a strong tackler and the manner in which the back row let the Welsh through in the 2nd half suggests we need one.
Final thought - how come a team can boast 6 World Cup players and finish bottom but one in the Premiership?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/08/2019 14:36 by Tom Paine.

Stopsy 12 August, 2019 14:46
I wonder how many games all 6 appeared together for us last season?

Brownian Motion 12 August, 2019 14:53
The belief is that Ford, and others, are capable of stepping in at 9 if necessary. Plus if you're going to play a whole-court game, almost any player should be capable of taking the ball on from a ruck and popping a pass.

I'm another who'd have taken Spencer instead of Heinz, the latter was shown up for pace a couple of times yesterday - a quicker 9 would have scored that try, and wouldn't have been stepped so easily by Liam Williams around the ruck on the counter.

I'm also not convinced by Daly at 15, I'd swap him and Watson.

SK 88 12 August, 2019 15:24
Never mind taking two scrumhalves, taking only two tightheads is a massive risk. None of those looseheads have played 3 at all from my memory and a simple HIA in the first game rules you out for the second one.

While risking a, generally, low-injury-risk position at scrum half is debatable, being a first minute concussion from having Dan Cole play 80 minutes twice within 4 days is bananas!

tigersimon 12 August, 2019 17:54
Squad unbalanced - Six back three players (plus others who could cover in an emergency) but only 5 props and 2 SHs??

Yorkie 12 August, 2019 21:51
Don't get the prop decision. Thought you had to name a tighthead prop to start and one on the bench. If you can't do that then you forfeit the match don't you? As SK says, an injury or HIA to opne of the two tightheads and we're stuck!

http://www.jakehowlett.com/tuckshop/wrappers/chocolate/plain/yorkie-nutter.jpg

Jon T 12 August, 2019 22:39
Eddie has just said Marler is the emergency 3 cover, have never seen him move across but the coaches know more than me.

I am a little excited about this squad in a way that I don't know if I would be by seeing Hughes and Robshaw etc... though we could bomb spectacularly. I'm looking forward to the ride.

I do think at least 6-7 of the squad won't be there in the squad, due to injury, by time its over for us. I think HIA protocols will gut squads like never before.

TonyMay 13 August, 2019 05:04
I'd prefer a tighthead who can cover loosehead in emergency to a loosehead who can cover tighthead. Number 3 is a much more difficult position to play than Number 1.

tigersimon 13 August, 2019 05:40
Not sure about the reduction to 31 so early, injuries as Jon says will happen. Surely far better to keep those players on the fringes who are going to be on standby within the squad?

We all know what contributions for example Cole and Youngs provide so why not look at Spencer and Williams in Cardiff. Especially the case at SH where Eddie has ditched 3 of the 4 ‘regular’ players from the last couple of seasons (Care, Robson, Wigglesworth).

This weekend’s game will not involve Curry, Underhill, Nowell, Slade so picking a 23 from a maximum of 27 available players! Also maybe Mako V unavailable.

Edit: Underhill may be available for the weekend.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 13/08/2019 06:10 by tigersimon.

Fat Boy 13 August, 2019 08:31
I had taken the early announcement as a step to ensure that the squad are tactically settled and can start focusing on who will be doing what come the tournament rather than trying to win selection. Which is all good in my view. The fact that I quite like the squad and think they are there with 5 or 6 others that could realistically win this year, is a bonus.

While this may just be Jones' way (not sure when he decided on/announced the Japan team last time?!) I think there's an element of the pendulum swinging the other way after the last two tournaments where Lancaster was trying to change the approach/composition last minute to accommodate Burgess, and (to a lesser extent) MJ seemed to shift last minute from a more attacking to a more defensive focus after his final 6 nations thrashing by Ireland -with detrimental effects on the success of the team both times.

Tiggs 13 August, 2019 08:44
Others will be drafted in for injuries, but as we don't know who will be injured no point in guessing and having the cover now. Cover all of the knowns now and see what happens. Less props makes sense as they will allow any number of extra props so that games aren't forfeited.
As long as the backups know, they can be selected on form as they will be playing anyway.

http://v4admin.sportnetwork.net/upload/103/103_0_1529059667.jpg

Brownian Motion 13 August, 2019 09:33
What's the betting Harry Williams is going to, say, the Philippines on holiday for a month?

Duncan Keene 13 August, 2019 10:38
Have they actually sent the other players home \ back to their clubs or are they saying, 'this is the 31 selected for the world cup' but keeping the other players for training purposes before then?

As Fat Boy says, the big advantage of this approach is getting the team settled unlike previous times when there's been a massive amount of uncertainty until the last minute, the players are normal human beings and i think sometimes previously they have been treated more like characters in a computer game.

But it does seem extreme if it means Sinckler and Cole have to play all the warm up minutes and all the time at the tournament, i am expecting some injury cover call ups outside of the 31 for at least one of the warm up games without that meaning the squad changes and i think that makes sense.

SK 88 13 August, 2019 11:19
I understand they have retained all the players, plus called up Kvesic for this week. This is just to let the players know where they stand.

I think it is in someways a good move. If you are Harry Williams you are gutted now, 100% but its better to be gutted now and start getting over it than be gutted on Sept 8th then desperately needed in Japan on Sept 20th.

Similarly if we get an injury to a scrum half I bet he calls up Care or Wigglesworth. They will have got over the disapointment of missing out and just be psyched to be there, if he is needed.

Duncan Keene 13 August, 2019 12:39
In which case, i think i'm in favour of it. I like the way Jones seems to think about the psychological aspects of the overall squad and what the role of the 8 players in the world cup squad but not in the first choice 23 actually is.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net