rugbyunion
Latest News:
New Page 1

Whatever your views on Saracens, whether a Sarries fan or not, leave them here.

To leave a message on this board you must register. To register click HERE, it takes only a minute.
Non-rugby posts are welcome, but please prefix your subject header with "OT" or "Off Topic".

Top of the Pool!

Next: Munster v Saracens, Friday 24th October, 19.45, Thomond Park
Latest:Sarries 30-23 Clermont
Audio: no commentary
Upcoming TV: Munster v Saracens, BT Sport 2

BBC Online Rugby Union Commentaries

The Fish | Rugby Union News | Fez Boys | Saracens Fixtures | The SSA

Transfer rumours 2012/13 season
saracenangel (IP Logged)
04 January, 2012 11:01
I know Chris Ashton has been heavily linked to us and we signed Joel Tomkins mid season, but where do we need cover for next season? I personally think that we need a replacement for Deon Carstens in case Smit or Gill are injured, especially with the latter being linked with a move back to his native Wales. Also, as Huge is only wth us part time now, maybe we could do with another lock? Any other rumours about?

Re: Transfer rumours 2012/13 season
kakshaks (IP Logged)
04 January, 2012 11:36
There was mention of Miles Benjamin on ESPN over Xmas.

ChrisR (IP Logged)
04 January, 2012 11:39
Miles looking to sign for Leicester if reports are true (and sometimes they are I guess, statistically speaking)...

saracenangel (IP Logged)
04 January, 2012 11:41
All I can find on Miles Benjamin is that Northampton are keen on him and Leicester have secured his signature. Nothing to do with Sarries, really.

dazzyb (IP Logged)
04 January, 2012 11:48
Not exactly a rumour but what is the latest news on Schalk? Isn't his contract up at the end of the season?

McSaracens (IP Logged)
04 January, 2012 13:16
Getting Schalk to be re-signed has to be the number one objective to the coaches and management. Aswell as him we need to get other out of contract players signed up - is Wyles out of contract?

Ashton appears to be a certainty if you read the reports and I would suspect he would be the only back coming in. Prop will be the area that needs strengthening with Deon now gone and Carlos possibly retiring. As for second row we've had Eoin Sheriff on trial for quite a while now so perhaps he'll come into the squad?

I believe it might have been said before, but there is something special happening at Saracens, and I want to be part of it. - Nils Mordt

FezUnite (IP Logged)
04 January, 2012 20:01
I really hope Ashtons not going to happen, wing is one of the easiest positions for youngsters to come into and we have some good wingers already. Prop is a big problem right now. Having another lock might be useful but Kruis is making the step up so maybe another academy lock could start making the step up.

Until we see how many are leaving though we can't speculate too much.

Gold Rugby Runner (IP Logged)
05 January, 2012 10:01
I definetly think prop is an area Sarries need to strengthen. With Nieto being 35 and potentially in his last year signing a quality tighthead should be paramount to the coaches.

A loosehead may be needed but if Gill has one more season after this then there is enough depth and quality with Smit looking to be deployed there more reguarly, Mako Vunipola up-and-coming and Matt Stevens a replacement if needed.

IMO second row looks settled as Kruis is stepping up impressively. His performances throughout the season have been strong. He looked imposing in the BG4 and with Hayden, Borthwick and Botha there is a strong contingent there.

Looks as though Ashton is definetly coming so wing is pretty much secured now with Short, wyles and Streele there too. Very sceptical over the Ashton move as I feel he is a divise personality who has the potential to think he is bigger than the club.

Tim (egb) (IP Logged)
05 January, 2012 10:23
Tight-head prop = the were a lot of rumours during the RWC that Dan Cole was fed up with Leicester - Castro resigned when Italy was beckoning, and they've a great prospect poached from Newcastle - Brookes(?), so he's not sure of a place in the 23, let alone starting berth.

FezUnite (IP Logged)
05 January, 2012 10:27
Cole just signed a new contract a couple of weeks a go.

Maybe we could dip into a developing nations prop?

Rupes (IP Logged)
05 January, 2012 10:38
top rumour - SBW wants to play in the Northern Hemisphere; you heard it here first...

Wayoutwest2 (IP Logged)
05 January, 2012 11:43
Sorry SBW?

Rupes (IP Logged)
05 January, 2012 11:46
Sonny Bill Williams

beshocked (IP Logged)
05 January, 2012 11:54
Gold Rugby Runner I am pretty sure Mako Vunipola is a tight head prop.

The way I see it:

Loosehead:Jared Saunders,Rhys Gill.John Smit (as cover),Auterac

Tighthead:Matt Stevens,Carlos Nieto,Mako Vunipola,Du Plessis

Hookers: Brits,Smit,George,Spurling, Allen

Locks:Hayden Smith,Borthwick,Botha,Kruis,Jubb, possibly Eoin Sherriff, Vyvan.

Backrow:Brown,Burger,Saull,Melck,Wray,Fraser,Joubert,Hankin

Scrum halvesgrinning smileye Kock,Wigglesworth,Spencer,Baldwin,JBB and Stringer (on loan)

Fly half: Hodgson,Farrell,Mordt,Hougaard (?)

Centres:Barritt,Powell,Ratuvou, Tomkins,Stanley,G.Sella,

Wingersconfused smileytrettle,Short,Maddock,Watson,Tagicakibau (what's happening with him?)

Full back:Goode,Wyles,Ransom

Have I missed anyone obvious?

I actually think fly half is a weakness. Biggest strengths in my opinion hookers,locks, backrow and scrum halves. Tighthead isn't actually bad in my opinion.

I personally feel we need a high profile loosehead to replace Deon Carstens, possibly another fly half and that's it really. Next season I think we'll need a quality tighthead to replace Nieto.

JO'G (IP Logged)
05 January, 2012 13:04
Fly-half isn't a weak point

Charlie, HooHaa and Fazlet with back-up from Mordt, Wiggy, Goode and Barrit at a pinch

loose head prop is the risk area

McSaracens (IP Logged)
05 January, 2012 13:05
Beshoked that looks a pretty comprehensive list. From my perspective we look fine at flyhalf, especially if we get Derick back to full fitness.

Loosehead prop needs a direct replacement for Deon, tighthead depends on what is happening with Nieto.

I believe it might have been said before, but there is something special happening at Saracens, and I want to be part of it. - Nils Mordt

Wayoutwest2 (IP Logged)
05 January, 2012 13:13
Thanks

beshocked (IP Logged)
05 January, 2012 13:18
Charlie Hodgson is the equivalent of Glenda - the complete package. An excellent all rounder.

Farrell is an excellent kicker and defender but in my opinion lacks the attacking and vision which Hodgson has. Sometimes he doesn't pass the ball when the overlap is on.

Hougaard enjoys kicking the ball a lot and is good at it but lacks a plan B. It also makes Saracens very predictable.

Is Mordt good enough?

When Hodgson is injured, the Saracens gameplan is very predictable as shown against Gloucester.

It's the fly halves like Glenda and Hodgson which best utilise the whole team.

If Farrell could become more attack minded and work on his distribution he would be a real force.

Also in regards to Farrell what is his chosen position? Is it 12? 13? 10? Being cover for all three is not ideal for his development.

I believe Farrell's ideal position should be no 12. He could then rotate the jersey with Barritt.

FezUnite (IP Logged)
05 January, 2012 13:42
Quote:
Rupes
top rumour - SBW wants to play in the Northern Hemisphere; you heard it here first...

I also read he's "bored" with rugby union and a switch back is possibly on the cards... although we wouldn't sign him (although I'd like to) surely it'll be France again with all the money, not to mention wasn't he going to return to Toulon if he came back?

Gold Rugby Runner (IP Logged)
05 January, 2012 13:47
Beshocked,

I can assure you Mako is definitely a Loose Head prop. He may be able to play TH but he is a loose head first and foremost. Below are some links:

[www.espnscrum.com]

[www.espnscrum.com]

A new class TH is needed to plug the whole left by Nieto

beshocked (IP Logged)
05 January, 2012 14:23
Fine gold rugby runner you got me there. I apologise.

I personally could not see SBW coming here.

He's more likely to carry on boxing.See the funny link below:

[
">www.youtube.com
]

saracens4life (IP Logged)
05 January, 2012 15:42
Quote:
beshocked
Tagicakibau (what's happening with him?)

Just said hello to his first child, according to Sailosi on twitter.

Otherwise he's been injured.

Plenty of good, young English looseheads around. Corbisiero, Waller, Lahiff, Mullan, Marler, plenty of others I can't think of right now. Any could become top-class internationals.

camerounfred (IP Logged)
05 January, 2012 22:22
Definitly need more imagination and inspiration.

Perhaps we should try to get Care....he's full of spiri(s) apparently

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net