rugbyunion
Latest News:
New Page 1

Whatever your views on Saracens, whether a Sarries fan or not, leave them here.

To leave a message on this board you must register. To register click HERE, it takes only a minute.
Non-rugby posts are welcome, but please prefix your subject header with "OT" or "Off Topic".

Thought for the Day:
"ON THE STREETS OF PHILADELPHIA!"

Latest: NEWCASTLE FALCONS 7:29 SARACENS
Next: SARACENS v SALE SHARKS Sat 23rd Sept 15.00 Allianz
Audio: Click the link below. If it ain't there, it ain't on!
Upcoming TV: Saracens v Wasps BT Sport 14.30 Sun 8th Oct 2017

BBC Online Rugby Union Commentaries

The Fish | Rugby Union News | Fez Boys | Saracens Fixtures | The SSA

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
England v Taffs
1876-Fez (IP Logged)
21 February, 2012 12:47
Taffs Team:
WALES:

Leigh Halfpenny;
Alex Cuthbert,
Jonathan Davies,
Jamie Roberts,
George North;
Rhys Priestland,
Michael Phillips;
Gethin Jenkins,
Ken Owens,
Adam Jones,
Alun Wyn Jones,
Ian Evans,
Dan Lydiate,
Sam Warburton (capt),
Toby Faletau.
Replacements: Richard Hibbard, Paul James, Ryan Jones, Justin Tipuric, Lloyd Williams, James Hook, Scott Williams.

SUPPORT Help for Heroes:
Help for Heroes

Re: England v Taffs
Neville (IP Logged)
21 February, 2012 13:26
Rhys is unlucky again, but its better for us fro friday night.

England by 20 +(Sm159)

Tigersfan1 (IP Logged)
21 February, 2012 13:28
If only Neville!!

Plastic Welshman (IP Logged)
21 February, 2012 16:13
Sorry, but more like Wales by 20+! (Sm73)

ChrisR (IP Logged)
21 February, 2012 16:23
I fancy England for the victory, but it will only be by 1-5 points...

1876-Fez (IP Logged)
21 February, 2012 18:34
Players retained by England include Tuilagi, Flood, Lawes; those released include Palmer, Turner-Hall and Brown

Tom Palmer dropped by England,those released include Palmer, Turner-Hall and Brown

Who else?? What line up??

SUPPORT Help for Heroes:
Help for Heroes

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 21/02/2012 18:35 by 1876-Fez.

1876-Fez (IP Logged)
21 February, 2012 18:37
Full list....WELL DONE TO ALL THE SARRIES!!!

Players retained by England
Forwards (12)

Mouritz Botha (Saracens)
Alex Corbisiero (London Irish)
Dan Cole (Leicester Tigers)
Tom Croft (Leicester Tigers)
Phil Dowson (Northampton Saints)
Dylan Hartley (Northampton Saints)
Courtney Lawes (Northampton Saints)
Ben Morgan (Scarlets)
Geoff Parling (Leicester Tigers)
Chris Robshaw (Harlequins)
Matt Stevens (Saracens)
Rob Webber (London Wasps)
Backs (11)

Chris Ashton (Northampton Saints)
Brad Barritt (Saracens)
Lee Dickson (Northampton Saints)
Owen Farrell (Saracens)
Toby Flood (Leicester Tigers)
Ben Foden (Northampton Saints)
Charlie Hodgson (Saracens)
Courtney Lawes (Northampton Saints)
David Strettle (Saracens)
Manusamoa Tuilagi (Leicester Tigers)
Ben Youngs (Leicester Tigers)

The following players will return to their clubs this evening and be available for the weekend’s Aviva Premiership Round 16 and Orange Top 14 fixtures:

Chris Brooker (Harlequins)
Mike Brown (Harlequins)
Calum Clark (Northampton Saints)
Paul Doran Jones (Northampton Saints)
Tom Palmer (Stade Francais)
Joe Simpson (London Wasps)
Jordan Turner-Hall (Harlequins)
Thomas Waldrom (Leicester Tigers)

SUPPORT Help for Heroes:
Help for Heroes

McSaracens (IP Logged)
21 February, 2012 18:38
Very harsh on Mike Brown! Given 5 minutes against Scotland and then dropped from the 22 man squad. Would indicate Flood and Tuilagi on the bench.

Interesting that Palmer is dropped too.

“I believe it might have been said before, but there is something special happening at Saracens, and I want to be part of it.” - Nils Mordt

1876-Fez (IP Logged)
21 February, 2012 18:41
Agree about Brown, had ANOTHER great game for Quins v Woos....not sure what more he has to do.

Flood??? just don't know

SUPPORT Help for Heroes:
Help for Heroes

Jaimoooo (IP Logged)
21 February, 2012 20:09
@ 1876-fez

interesting that Lawes is now considered a back tongue sticking out smiley

Teah (IP Logged)
21 February, 2012 22:48
England front 5 are fine.

Robshaw needs to play the game of his life against Warburton.

Start Ben Morgan at 8. He's honorary Welsh anyway, so he will have a point to prove.

Tom Croft, idle fecker, owes England a performance. Has traded on his Lions reputation for far too long.

Hope all the England backs have watched and rewatched the Ireland v Wales game. That sustained ferocity from the Welsh backs then was hugely impressive.

Maybe, just maybe, if England can hold the line for the first 20 minutes without conceding too many points (say 6), then with the Twickenham crowd behind them, might just be alright. The Sarries lads will not let us down. We saw an example of that against the Ospreys at Swansea.

If England survive the initial onslaught, get a decent share of possession, then you may see some attacking rugby from the England backs.

So many Ifs.

But it has always been my country, right or wrong, with me.

nicsue (IP Logged)
22 February, 2012 08:34
At least we English supporters have some hope now. Not so long ago we had none. Onwards and upwards.

(Sm144) Go England!

mk-fez (IP Logged)
22 February, 2012 09:10
From who is being kept on, the possible scenario (IMO) could be:

Forwards (12)

1 Alex Corbisiero (London Irish)
2 Dylan Hartley (Northampton Saints)
3 Dan Cole (Leicester Tigers)
4 Mouritz Botha (Saracens)
5 Courtney Lawes (Northampton Saints)
6 Tom Croft (Leicester Tigers)*
7 Chris Robshaw (Harlequins)
8 Ben Morgan (Scarlets)

Repl prop - Matt Stevens (Saracens)
Repl hooker - Rob Webber (London Wasps)
Repl flanker - Geoff Parling (Leicester Tigers)* *(but could be swapped)
Repl no.8 - Phil Dowson (Northampton Saints)

Backs (10)

9 Lee Dickson (Northampton Saints)
10 Charlie Hodgson (Saracens)

15 Ben Foden (Northampton Saints)
14 Chris Ashton (Northampton Saints)
13 Owen Farrell (Saracens)*
12 Manusamoa Tuilagi (Leicester Tigers)*
11 David Strettle (Saracens)

Repl C - Brad Barritt (Saracens)*
Repl FH - Toby Flood (Leicester Tigers)
Repl SH - Ben Youngs (Leicester Tigers)
*(or put Owen on the bench as versatile back-up to C and FH positions, have both Manu and Brad to start at Cs)

Innings (IP Logged)
22 February, 2012 09:56
At least they're all valid options! I've seen no mourning of the passing of some of MJ's stranger selection preferences, including among them the centre whom he described as one of the best players in world rugby.

wiganfanII (IP Logged)
22 February, 2012 10:53
15 Ben Foden (Northampton Saints)
14 Chris Ashton (Northampton Saints)
13 Owen Farrell (Saracens)*
12 Manusamoa Tuilagi (Leicester Tigers)*
11 David Strettle (Saracens)

That's just about the best back 5 that I have seen in an England strip in many a year.

Neville (IP Logged)
22 February, 2012 12:25
Manu and Owen are 13 and 12 respectively.

I reckon well start with Brad at 13 and bring the big lad on later when hopefully the Welsh are tiring, from all the tackling and chasing shadows they have had to do.......... Where is the " Flying Pig" smiley when you need it.

mk-fez (IP Logged)
22 February, 2012 12:56
ESPN Scrum also says Parling will start in the 2nd Row alongside MoBo with Lawes on the bench.

TonyTaff (IP Logged)
22 February, 2012 13:16
Dowson is more of a 'replacement 6' than '8'. Indeed, Croft seems to have disappeared when in an England shirt, and not just from the referee's view as McCaw manages winking smiley

£630.67 (*) donated to the Saracens Foundation due to visits to the Sarries frontpage [www.rugbynetwork.net]

Please read and submit articles for publication. (*) As at October 31, 2016.

AlanE (IP Logged)
22 February, 2012 14:13
Quote:
mk-fez
ESPN Scrum also says Parling will start in the 2nd Row alongside MoBo with Lawes on the bench.

Darling Parling runs the Leicester lineout (unless anyone knows differently). Can MoBo or Lawless do that? (We need someone who can)

King Zak (IP Logged)
23 February, 2012 00:19
Quote:
nicsue
At least we English supporters have some hope now. Not so long ago we had none. Onwards and upwards.
(Sm144) Go England!

Bit harsh given England won in Cardiff twelve months ago.

Nous sommes l'armée noir et rouge !

1876-Fez (IP Logged)
23 February, 2012 10:17
England: Charlie Injured....(.. finger)
Foden
Ashton
Tuilagi
Barritt
Strettle
Farrell
Dickson
Corbisiero
Hartley
Cole
Botha
Parling
Croft
Robshaw
Morgan
Eng bench: Webber Stevens Lawes Dowson Youngs Flood Brown

SUPPORT Help for Heroes:
Help for Heroes

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 23/02/2012 10:21 by 1876-Fez.

chris87 (IP Logged)
23 February, 2012 10:24
That is a England team that I was hoping to see (now we just need Aston to get form or be dropped and same with Flood).

Hoggers (IP Logged)
23 February, 2012 10:33
Front row ; no problem. We need a really agressive performance from ALL of the half backs who are going to have to tackle for ther lives and be ultra competitive at the breakdown, make the most of the ball we get and DO NOT kick away posession. Kick sensibly for territory and we CAN compete and win our own lineouts and disrupt theirs! Also the backs need to look for work and make the best use of the ball they will see I think!
I am going and tbh wasn't looking forward to seeing us lose by 10 to 15 BUt I think with my England hat on we can get a result !!! That's me done on the subject. Also the game will look a little better after several beers in and around TWix!!

ChrisR (IP Logged)
23 February, 2012 10:52
Charlie with a cut and sprained finger according to RFU twitter.

Seany_Boy0511 (IP Logged)
23 February, 2012 10:53
can't charge down with a sprained finger (Sm100)

King Zak (IP Logged)
23 February, 2012 11:17
Quote:
chris87
That is a England team that I was hoping to see (now we just need Aston to get form the ball or be dropped and same with Flood).

Nous sommes l'armée noir et rouge !

AlanE (IP Logged)
23 February, 2012 11:22
The breakdown is going to need to be good - time for Croft to step back up.

VyvyansNo1Fan (IP Logged)
23 February, 2012 11:53
Almost perfect selection...I would have had Huge for Parling...but other than that looks about the best we could put out.

Expecting a narrow win for England!!!

Tomo (IP Logged)
23 February, 2012 12:14
I would hope that back line stands upto the welsh "big" backs better than the Irish did. They shouldn't gte much change from Farrell Brad and Manu. Hopefully Manu gives us a bit more cutting edge than we've shown so far (albeit it in pretty woeful conditions).

Not sure Charlie will get back into the 22 if no more injuries

ChrisR (IP Logged)
23 February, 2012 12:15
On current form I would still have Charlie in the squad over Flood, albeit on the bench with Faz at 10.

McSaracens (IP Logged)
23 February, 2012 13:10
Pleased with that team and although I was initially calling for Flood to play 10, after his performance for Tigers I think they've made the right call to stick Farrell in at 10.

Looking ahead to the Saints game it'll be interesting as to whether Hodgson/Flood is released from the squad.

“I believe it might have been said before, but there is something special happening at Saracens, and I want to be part of it.” - Nils Mordt

matabass (IP Logged)
23 February, 2012 19:45
For the first time in about 3 years I actually agree with the entire England selection!!! Very exciting to think of how good this team could be with a couple of years experience under their belts. As for Saturday, although Wales are favorites it will be their toughest match so far and I don't think they'll find it quite so easy to punch holes through the midfield. If both teams play to their full potential then it is anyone's game and should be a cracker. Can't wait!!!

Allez les blancs!!!

saracens4life (IP Logged)
23 February, 2012 20:56
Still don't see what Croft offers but I can appreciate that they don't want to rush Courtney straight back in. I'd hope the latter starts at 6 in future games, till Tom Wood returns.

Otherwise - great selection. Glad he's had some guts with the midfield selection.

bazster (IP Logged)
24 February, 2012 09:33
Quote:
1876-Fez
England: Charlie Injured....(.. finger)
Foden
Ashton
Tuilagi
Barritt
Strettle
Farrell
Dickson
Corbisiero
Hartley
Cole
Botha
Parling
Croft
Robshaw
Morgan
Eng bench: Webber Stevens Lawes Dowson Youngs Flood Brown

'tis the team I woulda picked, now can they play a bit?

WoodfordDave (IP Logged)
25 February, 2012 04:07
So today is the day that defines Lancasters leadership and sets out his stall for keeping the job, the day that defines his team as wannabees or a real force, great selection and I believe we can win, hopefully Lancaster will hammer it home that the past counts for nothing the future means nothing all that matters is that England win the most important fixture in the annual World rugby Calendar, no excuses tolerated none whatsoever.

As Mr Churchill said ENGLAND EXPECTS, go do it boys, Fazlet you are the next Johnny Wilkinson/Dan Carter, go prove it beyond doubt.

ChrisR (IP Logged)
25 February, 2012 17:35
Ben Youngs should never be allowed near an England shirt again, ever!

Blindside Jim (IP Logged)
25 February, 2012 17:47
Youngs was a heap of $hit! Dickson is our 9 now.

Neville (IP Logged)
25 February, 2012 17:55
Steve Walsh.I wouldn't put him in charge of a pile of sand

Stone wall pen to us ie England in the first minute becomes a pen to them.

Missed a VERY important Welsh knock on in the second half..... and in the final minute.....Im sure stretts scored and if I try hard enough I wil find a way to blame walsh for not giving it!

Fair play to Wales. Excellent score to win it

All the starting Sarries did us proud, but Owen was brilliant.

Owen for Prime Minister!

McSaracens (IP Logged)
25 February, 2012 18:10
Gutted that England lost, but a brilliant performance at last! Must say I have been critical of the game plan in the first two games, however if England continue with that game plan they will trouble the best sides. Farrell was excellent and I hope they continue with that centre partnership gpoing forward.

IMO the first 15 is now pretty must settled and there shouldn't be too much tinkering. Botha deserves to start at lock ahead of Lawes for me, while the only other changes could potentially be Wood to the bench (Dowson) and then the question, do you continue with Ben Youngs!

JO'G (IP Logged)
25 February, 2012 18:17
What happened to the penatly try in the last minute: England maul steaming towards the line - deliberately dropped - penatly awarded

Innings (IP Logged)
25 February, 2012 18:20
There are still two problems.

Is Ashton ever to recover his appetite for work and ability to turn up on the shoulder of the tackled man in time to take a scoring pass?
Is Youngs going to get his game going before he's permanently displaced by Spencer?

mk-fez (IP Logged)
25 February, 2012 18:50
We lost it soon after Fazlet went off injured and Lawes was robbed of the ball by that superb (for the Welsh) solo effort from Scott Williams. I hope the RFU don't panic and give Lancaster the chance to take the team further.

Innings (IP Logged)
25 February, 2012 20:04
I'd defy any other would-be England coach to show how he would have taken the material at his disposal and made a better go of it today.

For me, the two players who kept England in the game were Brad in defence and Faz in his game management. Interesting that Brian Moore, who would rather have his appendix removed
without anaesthetic than be complimentary about England, was positively enthusiastic about both!

AnnieF (IP Logged)
25 February, 2012 20:17
Congratulations to Endland for a fine game - especially the Sarries boys who did themselves, Saracens and England proud. Faz Brad Stretts and MoBo were brilliant. Great to see England showing some pride and spirit again and preventing a good Wales side from playing the way they've shown they can. Very best of luck for the match against France - we know you can do it!!!

FezUnite (IP Logged)
25 February, 2012 20:18
Thought Ashton got his hands on the ball a lot more than previously, but most of the time when he was about a yard or so from contact anyway so had no chance to build up any speed or do anything but get tackled. If we can build on this today and get the back three involved in space more we should be able to win the next two.

Youngs is woeful at the moment, and none of the subs really contributed anything IMO. So frustrating as like last night a few too many, or the wrong subs took the momentum out of the team.

Plastic Welshman (IP Logged)
25 February, 2012 21:49
Well I was dreading the game today, being an ardent supporter of both Wales and Saracens.

However, neither disappointed, Wales won a close fought game & all the the Sarries contingent played superbly for England!

Faz & Brad in particular were immense and Faz should retain the no 10 jersey for years to come.

In my opinion England lost the game after Faz & Mobo were subbed,up until then the game could have gone either way.

I also think that at the moment both Youngs and Ashton have lost the plot & should not feature again in this years 6 nations!

mk-fez (IP Logged)
25 February, 2012 22:26
Ash didn't see much ball so you can't criticise his performance. Wuss fans in the pub highly rate Fazlet and Manu, and Brad's defensive qualities

McSaracens (IP Logged)
25 February, 2012 22:28
Agree re. Ashton who is in really poor form at the moment and could perhaps benefit from being dropped to the bench. Personally I would like to see Charlie Sharples or Jonny May get a chance in any case.

ExLoosehead (IP Logged)
25 February, 2012 23:04
Six Nations: England 12-19 Wales
Saes losers, "Oh dear, how sad, never mind" smiling smiley
(Sm103)

Steve Robo (IP Logged)
25 February, 2012 23:13
Releaved Wales won, pleased Sarries players came through with distinction.

If the RFU have any sense, they should award Stuart Lancaster and his coaching staff a permanent England job with immediate effect - They've proved their woth without a doubt

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net