rugbyunion
Latest News:
New Page 1

Whatever your views on Saracens, whether a Sarries fan or not, leave them here.

To leave a message on this board you must register. To register click HERE, it takes only a minute.
Non-rugby posts are welcome, but please prefix your subject header with "OT" or "Off Topic".

Thought for the Day:
"SALE INTO THE SUNSET"

Latest: SARACENS 41:13 SALE SHARKS
Next: WORCESTER WARRIORS v SARACENS Fri 29th Sept 19.45 Sixways
Audio: Click the link below. If it ain't there, it ain't on!
Upcoming TV: Saracens v Wasps BT Sport 14.30 Sun 8th Oct 2017

BBC Online Rugby Union Commentaries

The Fish | Rugby Union News | Fez Boys | Saracens Fixtures | The SSA

Contract extensions and motivation
Wayoutwest2 (IP Logged)
28 February, 2012 11:11
Now that the magnificent 18 contract extensions are all out in the open have we made a mistake?

Look at who we currently need to get us through the tough 6 nations period to cover for the players away on international duty. Then look at the players who have not had their contracts extended....

Mordt

Powell

Tagi

Kameli

Given the importance these players are to us on our run in and I hope they have their heads in the right place...

Re: Contract extensions and motivation
bazster (IP Logged)
28 February, 2012 12:21
Their contracts might not've been up for renewal.

ChrisR (IP Logged)
28 February, 2012 12:40
I am sure they already know what they will be doing next season, be it with Sarries or not.

McSaracens (IP Logged)
28 February, 2012 13:07
Is Nils out of contract? Hopefully he'll still be with us, not least for the versatility he offers.

I believe it might have been said before, but there is something special happening at Saracens, and I want to be part of it. - Nils Mordt

kakshaks (IP Logged)
28 February, 2012 13:09
Even if they are leaving, Im sure they would rather leave as squad members of the Heineken Cup Winners/Aviva Champions 2012.

Tythingrun (IP Logged)
28 February, 2012 13:51
Isn't Adam Powell coming to Sixways ? (Sm14)

Bluntiger (IP Logged)
28 February, 2012 13:56
Quote:
kakshaks
Even if they are leaving, Im sure they would rather leave as squad members of the Heineken Cup Winners/Aviva Champions 2012.

Great to see that there is still a sense of humour in Watford.

Roger (IP Logged)
28 February, 2012 14:02
Come back home Bluntiger. They, at least, are in with a chance of the double. We're not. Unless the LV= suddenly counts.

nicsue (IP Logged)
28 February, 2012 14:31
Can someone remind me the situation with Hugh?
Is this definitely his last season or is he to continue part-time?

tpr's headmistress (IP Logged)
28 February, 2012 14:59
Bluntiger, always there with the razor sharp wit.(Sm111)

ChrisR (IP Logged)
28 February, 2012 15:18
Hugh was kind of part time this season, so presumed it was his last, not confirmed though.

Wayoutwest2 (IP Logged)
28 February, 2012 17:13
You are missing the point I am trying to make Bazter, Chris R...

They are playing in a team where most of their comrades have just had their contracts extended....But not them....

We need them to be fully motivated at Sarries NOW[u][/u] or else it could lead to not having any silverware to look forward this year...

Not sure the 18 in 18 was the right way to motivate them right now that's all...

The Bard (IP Logged)
28 February, 2012 17:17
They've played the last 4 games and I can't see any trace of lacking motivation. After this weekend presumably the heavy artillery take over anyway.
Having said that, I do believe it has been a concern of Toby Booth that players who know they are leaving may not be fully motivated to give their best.

bazster (IP Logged)
28 February, 2012 17:50
Quote:
Wayoutwest2
They are playing in a team where most of their comrades have just had their contracts extended....But not them....

No, you are missing the point.

The contracts that have been extended were extended because they were expiring shortly, probably at the end of the season.

For all we know the players you listed have contracts which are NOT expiring shortly, hence no renewal/extension is called for.

Or maybe not, but either way we simply don't know, because it's the club's policy not to publish the lengths of players' contracts.

Or to put it another way: 18 contract extensions were announced, but there are approximately 40 players in the senior squad. Are we to take it then that about 22 players will shortly be out-of-contract and hence leaving? I don't think so....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 28/02/2012 17:52 by bazster.

kakshaks (IP Logged)
28 February, 2012 17:55
Its also somewhat insulting to suggest that a player who is maybe moving on, lets his standards/motivation drop. Certainly didnt see that from Mikey T on Friday.

Wayoutwest2 (IP Logged)
28 February, 2012 18:16
Yes The Bard...we lost the last two games in the last few minutes when concentration and motivation are everything....

Against tiggers and sinners again on Sunday the margins will be very tight....One slip up could cost us the game.

Lose on Sunday and we are in a right bun fight...

JO'G (IP Logged)
28 February, 2012 18:20
depends if the leaving player had a place to go yet
-
if not, they will be trying to impress in every game they play as Sarries is their shop window

bazster (IP Logged)
28 February, 2012 18:21
Quote:
Wayoutwest2
Lose on Sunday and we are in a right bun fight...

You're not wrong there.

phil_t (IP Logged)
28 February, 2012 18:22
Quote:
bazster
Quote:
Wayoutwest2

No, you are missing the point.

The contracts that have been extended were extended because they were expiring shortly, probably at the end of the season.

For all we know the players you listed have contracts which are NOT expiring shortly, hence no renewal/extension is called for.

Or maybe not, but either way we simply don't know, because it's the club's policy not to publish the lengths of players' contracts.

Or to put it another way: 18 contract extensions were announced, but there are approximately 40 players in the senior squad. Are we to take it then that about 22 players will shortly be out-of-contract and hence leaving? I don't think so....

I don't think all the contracts renewed were due to expire. Example, I believe Owen Farrell was one of those renewed last season, and then again this season. I doubt this was because we gave him a 1 year deal.

bazster (IP Logged)
28 February, 2012 18:26
Quote:
phil_rich tea_now in leeds
I don't think all the contracts renewed were due to expire. Example, I believe Owen Farrell was one of those renewed last season, and then again this season. I doubt this was because we gave him a 1 year deal.

Maybe, but Faz' status has changed so dramatically that there were probably plenty of reasons for writing him a new contract besides the duration.

Nevertheless my point stands: the fact that 18 players have had contract extensions doesn't indicate that the other 20-ish are either in need of a new contract or about to leave.

xxx88 (IP Logged)
29 February, 2012 08:41
It's because not ALL the players have the same contract duration. In this instance only Tagi, Nils and Powell's contracts are up...Ratty's isn't...

Wayoutwest2 (IP Logged)
29 February, 2012 08:52
OK

Lets just hope we win on Sunday. The players I listed were ones that did not have contract extensions last year so were probably on 2/3 yr contracts.

beshocked (IP Logged)
29 February, 2012 10:18
Wayoutwest2 there's still the incentive of the players' wanting to prove their worth.

Anyone know the current contract situation in regards to Wigglesworth?

It looks likely Strettle is leaving but where I wonder.

Bluntiger (IP Logged)
29 February, 2012 11:11
Quote:
beshocked
It looks likely Strettle is leaving but where I wonder.

Where? That is simple. To whatever club that will pay him more money ..... and he will tout himself around every club as he did last time. So I would suspect he will be heading to France.

Roger G (IP Logged)
29 February, 2012 11:13
Quote:
beshocked
It looks likely Strettle is leaving......

Why?

(Sm26)

bazster (IP Logged)
29 February, 2012 11:18
Apart from the occasional unsubstantiated suggestion here, I have seen/heard nothing anywhere to suggest that Stretts is leaving.

But if he does leave at the end of his contract (whenever that his) he will have fulfilled his side of the bargain and I'm sure we'll all wish him well. Can't see anything wrong in a young man with a short career trying to maximise his income, I used to move around to the highest bidder a fair bit when I was his age.

JO'G (IP Logged)
29 February, 2012 12:50
I suspect that the club do not publish the length of players contracts now so that we the supporters don't go through this dance at this time of year putting undue pressure on players because they are leaving

see the effect its had on Chris Ashdon

bazster (IP Logged)
29 February, 2012 13:01
The club doesn't publish the lengths of contracts so that agents don't know when to come sliming and sniffing around.

McSaracens (IP Logged)
29 February, 2012 13:04
I was under the impression Strettle signed a three year deal.

I believe it might have been said before, but there is something special happening at Saracens, and I want to be part of it. - Nils Mordt

xxx88 (IP Logged)
29 February, 2012 13:04
If Stretts, Tagi and Powell are not part of the 18, then they are most defo leaving since they due tis season sad smiley Most players sign for 2 yrs with the exception of a few...

bazster (IP Logged)
29 February, 2012 13:07
"Most players sign for two years except those who don't" is not a particularly helpful statement...

danilo2 (IP Logged)
29 February, 2012 13:22
Twice when talking about the Copthall pitch has Edward G used the phrase "it will suit wingers like David Strettle" - it may not be much, but indicates to me that there is an expectation we will see him playing there.

Of course, I am assuming he will be wearing black and red when he does so!

Fezmonkey2 (IP Logged)
29 February, 2012 16:30
[quote Roger G][quote beshocked]It looks likely Strettle is leaving......[/quote]

Why? (Sm26)[/quote)

Becaue his lack of first team appearances have limited his oportunity to be selected for England, where of course all the tries he scores will count(Sm161)

Dave is currently coming to the end of the second year of a three year contract FWIW.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 29/02/2012 16:33 by Fezmonkey2.

Roger G (IP Logged)
29 February, 2012 16:42
Fezmokey - it looks like you may have misunderstood my "why". I meant why does it look likely, not why's he leaving. I don't believe a word of it.

Fezmonkey2 (IP Logged)
01 March, 2012 09:50
Roger - no missunderstanding, I was just attempting to inject a bit of humour into the proceedings.

As I stated Strets is in the second year of a three year deal, and therefore I too do not understand why people here sudenly think he is leaving.

tpr's headmistress (IP Logged)
01 March, 2012 10:24
Perhaps there's speculation about Strettle because of the arrival of Ashton.(Sm26)

phil_t (IP Logged)
01 March, 2012 10:43
How do we know how long Strettle signed for? Have just googled articles of when he signed and none seem to specify a contract length. Could have been he signed for 4 years...???

JO'G (IP Logged)
01 March, 2012 13:12
Given Stretts injury problems, he may have signed for 50 games ..... however long that is

TOKS (IP Logged)
01 March, 2012 13:36
Crumbs, if Luger had done that we'd still have 43 of them to call upon....

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net