rugbyunion
Latest News:
New Page 1

Whatever your views on Saracens, whether a Sarries fan or not, leave them here.

To leave a message on this board you must register. To register click HERE, it takes only a minute.
Non-rugby posts are welcome, but please prefix your subject header with "OT" or "Off Topic".

Thought for the Day:
A COMEDY OF ERRORS

Latest: SARACENS 34 ; 22 WORCESTER WARRIORS
Next: Saracens v Sale Sharks Sat 17th Nov, 13.00 Allianz, PRC,
Audio: Click the link below. If it ain' there, it ain't on!
Upcoming TV: Leicester Tigers v Saracens, Sun 25th Nov 15.00 BT Sport 1

BBC Online Rugby Union Commentaries

The Fish | Rugby Union News | Fez Boys | Saracens Fixtures | The SSA | Rugby on TV

jonny lion's yes/ no
steven coombs (IP Logged)
28 April, 2013 22:07
On what you sarries fans saw today should jonny be on the lion's tour ?

Re: jonny lion's yes/ no
Chilham (IP Logged)
28 April, 2013 22:21
Yes.

primavesi (IP Logged)
28 April, 2013 22:22
For me yes BUT not because of one game and not because the media are no doubt going to make out that Farrell is useless because of one game. However I have seen quite a lot of him in the super 14 and Europe this season and to me he has to go.
So he won't be able to join up with the squad for the first game, who cares. Gatland should pick the best players available and everything else will work itself out.

saracens4life (IP Logged)
28 April, 2013 22:48
Quote:
primavesi
For me yes BUT not because of one game and not because the media are no doubt going to make out that Farrell is useless because of one game.

This.

No criticism of this thread - but I'm sick and tired of the Jonny eulogising already, and have been for days. And it will only get worse after Tuesday if he does get picked.

But to reiterate - I think he probably does deserve to go and he played the perfect game today.

DuncanS (IP Logged)
29 April, 2013 01:08
Whilst sentiment should play no part in selection, could there be a more fitting end to the career of such a rugby legend than to steer the Lions to a series victory over Australia?

That's a yes from me.

RobV (IP Logged)
29 April, 2013 06:50
Outside of the fact he's been playing well, fellow players can't emphasise enough the example he sets, how hard he trains, how he brings people up to his level of commitment. I'd imagine even if he isn't starting FH these qualities are enough for him to tour, just for his influence on the squad. Plus he scares the bejesus out of the Aussies. Gangland would be mad not to take him.

LeicesterTigger (IP Logged)
29 April, 2013 07:07
Matt Giteau response to the question says it all.
-I'm australia so I say no.

There is no better all round 10 in the world.
To have him and Sexton playing the tests is pretty much guaranteeing a 3-0 victory.
For me watching Jonny all season, he has to go.
Forget history and sentiments being a reason for him to go, he is the best we have got!
All IMO of course

maynas (IP Logged)
29 April, 2013 07:15
Its a shame the French season makes it hard and Gatland has suggested he wants his squad together before the tests, but Johhny is playing so well and with his reputation in Australia it would be a good positive to have him along.

Jim 55 (IP Logged)
29 April, 2013 07:35
Best 10 I've seen this year. Kicking. Passing, tackling, ball from hand. In reality be mad not to pick him.

ChrisR (IP Logged)
29 April, 2013 07:42
Problem is he offers everything Faz does, pressure goal kicking, good game management, hard tackling, and probably a little bit better due to his experience.

The thing that is working in his favour is that Toulon will be busy for a while yet.

kiwisarrie (IP Logged)
29 April, 2013 08:01
Definitely. All oppo teams are nervous when Johnny is playing - they have to change their game plan therefore you've screwed them already!

Johnny should go because he is the best - - he's has more experience than any other No. 10 even Dan Carter who is chasing hard!

Owen's time will come - he's very good but JW is excellent. Playing with Johnny will have been a huge learning experience for Owen and on the day experience won over youth and enthusiasm. I repeat though Owen's time will come just don't push him too hard too soon.

Wayoutwest (IP Logged)
29 April, 2013 08:36
Has to be Yes. Big game player...Even if its to make sure we have cover and to play the warm ups.

Also it winds up the Aussies given his 2003 drop goal!

Blindside Jim (IP Logged)
29 April, 2013 08:37
Yes

AlanE (IP Logged)
29 April, 2013 08:39
It's a 'Yes' from me. The comparisons are a bit tricky because JBW [even more'B' after yesterday] was playinmg behind a pack which got over the gain line just about every time, while we seemed to hit the line and bounce back.

Faz did not have the platform that Jonny did - but still a 'Yes'

McSaracens (IP Logged)
29 April, 2013 08:40
Oui.

Just hope that we see Kelly Brown and Owen Farrell make the squad aswell.

Gatland said he would only take two flyhalves, after yesterday I think we'll see Wilkinson joining Sexton and Owen.

I believe it might have been said before, but there is something special happening at Saracens, and I want to be part of it. - Nils Mordt

dazzyb (IP Logged)
29 April, 2013 09:16
If he does take Jonny does Gatland have to change his initial mindset and take 3 FH given that Jonny will be joining up with the tour party late?

I'm still not convinced Gatland will take him. He may have him on the reserve list in case of injuries.

Duncan Keene (IP Logged)
29 April, 2013 09:44
Above post just seems the obvious solution to me. Lions coaches can make their own rules, if you were taking 37 then take 38 or whatever the figures are and have Wilko as a 3rd fly half.

oliverc7 (IP Logged)
29 April, 2013 10:22
Morning all, just dropping through.. Gatland did say he would take 2 FH, but he also said he'd take someone that could fill in there, talk of Laidlaw going as a 9/10.. personally I would not take Laidlaw, take Wilko instead and Faz Jr can be that utility player.. he's played at 12/13 for you chaps hasn't he?? hope they don't leave Wilko out, but Faz for me has done enough to be there as well. Thoughts??

AP (IP Logged)
29 April, 2013 18:58
I wonder if Jonny still has it at international level, particularly behind a pack under pressure. I doubt that he wants to go to play in the midweek games.

He might like a nice, relaxing French summer before one more (last?) French season.

Whatever he does, good luck to him.

It is not surprising that we Sarries supporters were applauding him throughout the game (through gritted teeth).

Successful hills are here to stay
Everything must be this way
Gentle streets where people play
Welcome to the Soft Parade

1876-Fez (IP Logged)
29 April, 2013 19:27
Well it mad me smile...even if I hope it's not true...

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BJCrh8_CEAAVjj7.jpg

SUPPORT Help for Heroes:
Help for Heroes

at-sarrie (IP Logged)
29 April, 2013 20:36
i swear people were saying his career was reaching an end after he apparently a bad performance for toulon against montpellier in the heineken just goes to show how a couple of months is a long time in sport, i'd take wilkinson along with sexton and farrell but before last weekend it was flood instead

Eif Jones (IP Logged)
30 April, 2013 02:08
Owen Farrell is nowhere near an international standard no 10 at this time not even the best 10 at Saracens, having him as reserve to Sexton would be a tremendous risk for Gatland. Wilkinson has had his day though, but an alternative to Farrell has to be found.

Convex Hull (IP Logged)
30 April, 2013 04:49
The Lions tour is irrelevant. It only exists to milk the punters - and they will lose.

Let him go.

Regardez mon visage. Suis-je bovvered?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 30/04/2013 04:55 by Convex Hull.

Convex Hull (IP Logged)
30 April, 2013 04:50
Mad mobile

Regardez mon visage. Suis-je bovvered?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 30/04/2013 04:59 by Convex Hull.

30 April, 2013 05:33
Quote:
AP
I wonder if Jonny still has it at international level, particularly behind a pack under pressure. I doubt that he wants to go to play in the midweek games.
He might like a nice, relaxing French summer before one more (last?) French season.

Whatever he does, good luck to him.

It is not surprising that we Sarries supporters were applauding him throughout the game (through gritted teeth).

Some would argue Heineken Cup matches are as intense as internationals. Also he performs very well behind a back going backwards.
I agree with Eif Jones, that Farrell is not an international 10 YET

Jim 55 (IP Logged)
30 April, 2013 05:41
Whichever way you look at it he was a pleasure to watch on Sunday. Now I've got over It and have watched some of the game on the TV it must be said he was inspirational for Toulon and you really can see why they love him.

30 April, 2013 05:51
Quote:
Jim 55
Whichever way you look at it he was a pleasure to watch on Sunday. Now I've got over It and have watched some of the game on the TV it must be said he was inspirational for Toulon and you really can see why they love him.

Love him? they absolutely worship him. We met a few Toulon supporters that referred to him as god!

Duncan Keene (IP Logged)
30 April, 2013 06:40
Are you all just ignoring Eif?

For a "non-international" 10 Farrell did pretty well to beat the all blacks, no? He's certainly better than Biggar.

Not always my favourite player but one I'd always rather have on my side than against me.

30 April, 2013 07:00
Quote:
Duncan Keene
For a "non-international" 10 Farrell did pretty well to beat the all blacks, no? He's certainly better than Biggar.

Not always my favourite player but one I'd always rather have on my side than against me.

Yes he is better than Biggar, but Biggar would be no where near my Lions team nor would Farrell. Back to the subject...Jonny, Awesome, yes

Waldo (IP Logged)
30 April, 2013 07:05
I think Charlie should go (Sm13)

WOTAFLANKER (IP Logged)
30 April, 2013 12:40
You've got to have at least two Jo(h)nnys for such a long trip!!

Shhh! (IP Logged)
30 April, 2013 12:43
Quote:
Duncan Keene

We were trying to.

Foxtrot Echo Zulu (IP Logged)
30 April, 2013 12:49
Ben Foden @ben_foden
Jonny W will definately be getting a late call, 2 tens for 10 tests??? Not fooling anyone!

I tend to agree with Foden's latest Tweet, it will gain great media momentum to include him latterly.....

TonyTaff (IP Logged)
30 April, 2013 12:59
This DOES seem to be the plan!

676.97 (*) donated to the Saracens Foundation due to visits to the Sarries frontpage [www.rugbynetwork.net]

Please read and submit articles for publication. (*) As at October 31, 2017.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net