rugbyunion
Latest News:
New Page 1

Whatever your views on Saracens, whether a Sarries fan or not, leave them here.

To leave a message on this board you must register. To register click HERE, it takes only a minute.
Non-rugby posts are welcome, but please prefix your subject header with "OT" or "Off Topic".

Will this wind be so mighty as to lay low the mountains of the eaaarth?

Next: Exeter Chiefs v Saracens, Saturday 29th November, 16:30, The splendid Sandy Park
Latest:Saracens 24-31 Saints
Audio:
Upcoming TV:Sale v Saracens, SKY Sports 2, Saturday Dec 6th, from 12:30

BBC Online Rugby Union Commentaries

The Fish | Rugby Union News | Fez Boys | Saracens Fixtures | The SSA

OT ~ Quenelle gesture! I can't see what all the fuss is about..........
CK55FEZ (IP Logged)
21 January, 2014 12:17
https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ6sWhe7Z2PfP2U1W0ZeUjmRvzGovW96E7QcBXDafyvP_KAEKB1Lw

Re: OT ~ Quenelle gesture! I can't see what all the fuss is about..........
PhillFez (IP Logged)
21 January, 2014 12:34
(Sm6)

That man should be wearing a Fez for Tommy Cooper impersonations!

Innings (IP Logged)
21 January, 2014 23:29
Not funny.

Innings

Points win matches: tries win hearts and minds.

Teah (IP Logged)
22 January, 2014 00:09
Change the channel FFS CK55fEZ.

You have clearly got the wrong pogrom.

(Sm20)

Zider Graham (IP Logged)
22 January, 2014 10:13
I thought it was quite amusing. Nothing wrong with a bit of wordplay.

"Darkness washed over the Dude - Darker than a black steer's tookus on a moonless prairie night. There was no bottom."

TOKS (IP Logged)
22 January, 2014 10:16
Storm in a teacup, only about 3 people on the planet knew what the gesture meant anyway.

Anyway, the footy world loves a good old scandal so let them get on with it.

Next.

Innings (IP Logged)
22 January, 2014 10:47
Thinking it funny depends on one's attitude to racism in general and anti-semitism in particular.

Innings

Shhh! (IP Logged)
22 January, 2014 10:54
Well I thought CK55FEZ' little pun was mildly amusing, which I'm sure is all he intended.

As for any wider issues, waaaaay OT!

Innings (IP Logged)
22 January, 2014 11:12
I don't get how a pun on someone's name attached to a photo that looks nothing like the gesture can be found funny. But if I were Jewish I'd be rolling in the aisles, of course.

Innings

GerryK (IP Logged)
22 January, 2014 11:20
With the widespread growth of anti-Semitism throughout Europe, this is not a amusing thread

Zider Graham (IP Logged)
22 January, 2014 11:29
People obviously have differing sense of humour Innings. Feel free to infer that people are racist for being amused by a pun. No-one advocated or even referred to racism and anti semitism bar you. A simple pun made to amuse nothing more nothing less.

"Darkness washed over the Dude - Darker than a black steer's tookus on a moonless prairie night. There was no bottom."

Witham Nobby (IP Logged)
22 January, 2014 12:49
I think some of you need to remove the rolled-up Guardian from your ar5es. There is a worrying trend of people rushing to be the first offended by anything mildly off-colour.

For the record, I've never heard of it before and I spent 30 years as a detective in London.

BarnetSarrie (IP Logged)
22 January, 2014 12:53
No problem with the joke here. If you are jewish and as many of you know - I am, and so are quite a few other posters on this board - you absolutely need to have a sense of humour and being over-sensitive wins you no friends and makes life very awkward. But seriously, the Anelka business is not in the slightest bit funny. It is extremely worrying.
He clearly knew exactly what it meant - he is apparently a personal friend and admirer of that monstrous French bigot and anti semite. Not surprised Zoopla withdrew their sponsorship when the club wouldn't discipline him. They shouldn't have had to ask in the first place.
The irony of course is that all this running publicity only makes this gesture more well known - so I wouldn't be in the slightest bit surprised if we see more of it.

sodslaw (IP Logged)
22 January, 2014 13:13
A bit slow - it took me a few moments to cotton on. At first I was thinking " whats so offensive about Scott Quinnell's hilarious live crab/ dead crab routine........" then I realised it was in fact a mildly amusing play on words.

I am afraid some people just manage to find offence where absolutely none exists. If those of a fragile disposition really want to be offended I suggest they pop over to the Ulster forum and read the first three pages of "How many Saracens fans will come over"

Linky thing

derbyshire fan (IP Logged)
22 January, 2014 13:15
there was a good piece on the quenelle gesture in The Times this morning; it is clear that the so-called comedian who initiated the gesture is out and out anti-semitic; and intends the gesture to mean the same thing. So Anelka should indeed have the book thrown at him.

But there was also a rather amusing (well I found it so!) piece in the diary column, discussing the foodie definition of quenelles, describing someone's experience in a Parisian restaurant where a rather small portion was served - 'four quenelles' was the reported response of the upset diner

Shhh! (IP Logged)
22 January, 2014 13:21
Some people seem to have forgotten that it's a British trait to find some humour in the darkest of scenarios, and long may it continue.

Tigergeezer (IP Logged)
22 January, 2014 13:25
They should try my 'kinell gesuture on for size. It's in honour of Gordon Ramsay and involves forks, emblematic as they are of fine eating.

And on the subject of fine eating, I remember having quenelles of pike once. Basically a rather meh version of gefilte fish.

See that girl
Watch her scream
Kicking the dancing queen

BarnetSarrie (IP Logged)
22 January, 2014 13:52
TG - what would we do without you? smileys with beer
(Personally - you can keep Gefilte fish, except my grandma's. It usually comes out all anaemic. I'd rather have chopped & fried - my mum does it superbly BTW!).

Shh - spot on. And taking the @#$%& out of something is always the best way of dealing with it.
Le ridicule, - c'est absolument comme il faut.

PhillFez (IP Logged)
22 January, 2014 14:41
The gesture, the footballer and the French comic are abhorrent and deserve full admonishment. The play on words at face value is amusing.

Neville (IP Logged)
22 January, 2014 14:53
My mum made the best gefilte fish BS, no question(Sm14)

Now that really is worth arguing about!

Shhh! (IP Logged)
22 January, 2014 15:25
Quote:
PhillFez
The gesture, the footballer and the French comic are abhorrent and deserve full admonishment. The play on words at face value is amusing.

The French are a very odd people and no mistake. A great bunch and a great country in so many ways, but with a dark undercurrent. I shall be holidaying in La France this summer as usual though.

WoodfordDave (IP Logged)
22 January, 2014 16:10
Wonder what the man Scott Quinell feels about the way his photo has been use completely out of context ans the mini stir being created as a result.

Shhh! (IP Logged)
22 January, 2014 16:15
Can I be the first to mention Hitler on this thread PLEEEEZE?

WoodfordDave (IP Logged)
22 January, 2014 16:28
If you must guess its a free world, unsure as why you would want to though

Zider Graham (IP Logged)
22 January, 2014 16:28
Seconded

Teah (IP Logged)
22 January, 2014 16:53
Glad nobody commented on the program for pogrom wordplay then.

Tigergeezer (IP Logged)
22 January, 2014 17:06
Quote:
WoodfordDave
Wonder what the man Scott Quinell feels about the way his photo has been use completely out of context ans the mini stir being created as a result.

He probably enjoys a good pun and would be appropriately mildly amused. If not, then he smells of old quenelles.

Incidentally, I thought that Dutch speed skater was a bit hard done by. Lost his medal for doing the chopsticks gesture in honour of Ken Hom.

See that girl
Watch her scream
Kicking the dancing queen

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net