rugbyunion
Latest News:
New Page 1

Whatever your views on Saracens, whether a Sarries fan or not, leave them here.

To leave a message on this board you must register. To register click HERE, it takes only a minute.
Non-rugby posts are welcome, but please prefix your subject header with "OT" or "Off Topic".

Thought for the Day:
CHAMPIONS AGAIN!

Latest: EXETER CHIEFS 10:27 SARACENS (Aviva Premiership Final)
Audio: Click the link below. If it ain' there, it ain't on!
Upcoming TV:

BBC Online Rugby Union Commentaries

The Fish | Rugby Union News | Fez Boys | Saracens Fixtures | The SSA

Spenno
Rif (IP Logged)
06 January, 2017 14:25
Good Telegraph article on Spencer and being patient. The club obviously expect big things.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/rugby-union/2017/01/06/patience-paying-ben-spencer-saracens-learns-scrum-half-masters/

"My kicking coach tells me to imagine I am on the beach and that's what I did. I tried to be as relaxed as possible because we had the wind in our face and I didn't want to force it." - Marcelo Bosch, 06/04/15

Re: Spenno
Harbinger (IP Logged)
09 January, 2017 19:39
Looking at the little playing time he has had this season and bearing in mind he is in the England EPS squad, I cant see him staying at the club for much longer. Hes a big talent but I dont think there is room for him and wiggy (who is the preferred S/H). He got 10 mins on Saturday out on the wing and never touched the ball once and IIRC this has happened before.

samgibbo (IP Logged)
09 January, 2017 20:00
Nonsense. He's progressing nicely and clearly trusts the coaches. He will recognise there are still areas of his game which require improvement. Take the Newcastle match for example where who took the wrong option or was unable to execute a move on a couple of occasions. He'll be our first choice in the 2018/2019 season.

Harbinger (IP Logged)
09 January, 2017 20:43
He may be 'progressing nicely' as you put it, but its not doing his England chances any good and he looked thoroughly p***sed off walking off the pitch on Saturday.

McSaracens (IP Logged)
09 January, 2017 21:04
Spencer is signed up long term. He is starting to bear the fruits of being patient. Reminds me very much of Jamie George. No chance of him leaving.

I believe it might have been said before, but there is something special happening at Saracens, and I want to be part of it. - Nils Mordt

Highbury Saracen (IP Logged)
09 January, 2017 21:07
Probably not as p**sed off as Maitland though!!!
Saturday was exceptional circumstances and Ben has risen from no.3 SH to no.2 SH this season!
I'm sure he is here for long term

European champions 2016 & 2017

Eric Browett (IP Logged)
09 January, 2017 21:24
If you looked at the stats re game time I'd imagine it would look like 60-40 in terms of playing time between Wiggy and Ben. He's been on the pitch much more this season.

Roger G (IP Logged)
09 January, 2017 21:49
Quote:
Harbinger
Looking at the little playing time he has had this season and bearing in mind he is in the England EPS squad, I cant see him staying at the club for much longer. Hes a big talent but I dont think there is room for him and wiggy (who is the preferred S/H). He got 10 mins on Saturday out on the wing and never touched the ball once and IIRC this has happened before.

Did you read the article?

Harbinger (IP Logged)
10 January, 2017 10:19
I have. Most if not all of the quotes are re-cycled ones from previous articles so there is nothing new there.
My point is he's been sat on the bench for 6 years, what is there to learn from watching someone else play, in my opinion the club are holding him back by not giving him equal rotation.

Roger G (IP Logged)
10 January, 2017 10:34
Quote:
Harbinger
....what is there to learn from watching someone else play.

He's also spending time on the training field with them and getting the benefit of the best club coaching team in the country, if not Europe, if not the world. If Sarries have done nothing else over the last few years, we have given youngsters a chance to shine very early in their careers. Some have stepped up straight away (e.g. Faz, Maro), some have taken longer to develop (e.g. Jamie, Wray), but all have succeeded. Those who have moved on have not shot to stardom with more game time elsewhere (e.g. Auterac, Short).

Signsurfer (IP Logged)
11 January, 2017 21:52
Quote:
Eric Browett
If you looked at the stats re game time I'd imagine it would look like 60-40 in terms of playing time between Wiggy and Ben. He's been on the pitch much more this season.

FYI....

out of 19 games so far, he has started 5

total minutes of play 521 (but 26 minutes were playing on the wing!)

31.8% playing time compared to wiggy

Waldo (IP Logged)
12 January, 2017 15:18
Quote:
Signsurfer

31.8% playing time compared to wiggy

interesting - it seems like much more than that

mfc (IP Logged)
12 January, 2017 15:42
I believe it would have been higher had Owen not been injured at the start of the season. Having Ben & Alex starting together would have left us short of experience.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net