rugbyunion
Latest News:
New Page 1

Whatever your views on Saracens, whether a Sarries fan or not, leave them here.

To leave a message on this board you must register. To register click HERE, it takes only a minute.
Non-rugby posts are welcome, but please prefix your subject header with "OT" or "Off Topic".

Thought for the Day:
DOUBLE CHAMPIONS OF EUROPE!

Latest: EXETER CHIEFS 18:16 SARACENS
Next: THAT'S ALL FOLKS UNTIL NEXT SEASON!
Audio: Click the link below. If it ain't there, it ain't on!
Upcoming TV:

BBC Online Rugby Union Commentaries

The Fish | Rugby Union News | Fez Boys | Saracens Fixtures | The SSA

our group Champions Cup
gandg (IP Logged)
11 January, 2017 17:09
This the way I see it. As we are ravaged my injuries and suspensions, and allowing for potentially more injuries this weekend;

Toulon will be licking their lips, they are at home against Sale, so I would guess a 5 pointer bringing them up to 15 points. They then play us at home.

Scarlets; probably will also beat Sale in their last game, so they'll know if they beat us on Sunday they are through.

Therefore we need a win this Sunday!!! if not......

Re: our group Champions Cup
JamieP (IP Logged)
11 January, 2017 18:11
Well Scarlets will need two BP wins and for us to get no BPs in either game to get the same number of points as us (18). There is also a PD of +98 to overhaul so it's a big ask.

Toulon can get to 20 points with two BP wins so it's more doable for them.

In short, a BP loss on Sunday will put us out of reach of Scarlets, as would them not scoring 4 tries.

We need 3 points from the two games to be 100% certain of topping the group. Two from the two would possibly still be enough.

I think.......and I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong!

Roger G (IP Logged)
11 January, 2017 18:35
Come on Sale!! (Sm105)

NomadicScot (IP Logged)
11 January, 2017 20:36
My prediction for the last 8 in order would be as follows:

1. Clermont
2. Leinster
3. Saracens.
4. Wasps.
5. Munster.
6. Connaght.
7. Glasgow.
8. Toulon.

Sarries to play Connaght at AP

Rif (IP Logged)
12 January, 2017 09:59
That would work quite ideally for us....

"My kicking coach tells me to imagine I am on the beach and that's what I did. I tried to be as relaxed as possible because we had the wind in our face and I didn't want to force it." - Marcelo Bosch, 06/04/15

Brighty_Fez (IP Logged)
12 January, 2017 10:13
or we look a little more positively and think we will bea the scarlets this weekend and continue our unbeaten run, although it would be nice to avoid toulon in the knockouts

primavesi (IP Logged)
12 January, 2017 10:15
I dont see us losing to Scarlets. Toulon will be tough with the players out but at home and with them not having a great season id say we have a decent chance there as well.

Roger G (IP Logged)
12 January, 2017 10:24
I think last Saturday's exploits by 14 men, some of them not first choice players, against the AP's in-form team should give us confidence that we can win both.

CB1959 (IP Logged)
13 January, 2017 12:31
The Toulon thinking according to my Toulon supporting boss is they need 9 points to qualify. They expect 5 this weekend and are gearing up to beat us st AP.

Seany_Boy0511 (IP Logged)
13 January, 2017 17:01
Have faith! We can definitely continue our unbeaten run, and the noise we will make At AzP on 21st Jan will be the loudest yet hopefully! That always gears our lads up, now we are labelled the 'best team in Europe' lets go and prove it!

JO'G (IP Logged)
13 January, 2017 18:13
Saracens have almost certainly already qualified in 8th place already - even if they get no more match points as I can't see Leinster losing at home to Monpellier, or Ulster getting 10 points from their last 2 games

winning in Wales makes us top of the group but not certain of a home 1/4 final even with a losing bonus point against Toulon

we need to win both our games and be the #1 seeded team

Park team from London
Just a park team from London
European Champions
Just European champions

Westrock (IP Logged)
13 January, 2017 21:09
[quote JO'G ]Saracens have almost certainly already qualified in 8th place already - even if they get no more match points as I can't see Leinster losing at home to Monpellier, or Ulster getting 10 points from their last 2 games

winning in Wales makes us top of the group but not certain of a home 1/4 final even with a losing bonus point against Toulon

we need to win both our games and be the #1 seeded team[/quote

Leinster 31 Montpellier 3 so far 😀

NomadicScot (IP Logged)
14 January, 2017 09:23
Hugely impressive from Leinster (57 - 3) - back to their old selves even though it was against 14 men Montpeiller. On 21 points already and qualified, I reckon Leinster are a shoe in for a home QF in 2nd or 3rd place in the rankings. Its critical that Sarries get something out of Sundays game at Scarlets. Maybe a Losing BP and the a win at AP against Toulon will be enough for Top Four FINISH.

5.JonnyComeLately (IP Logged)
14 January, 2017 09:39
Quote:
NomadicScot
Hugely impressive from Leinster (57 - 3) - back to their old selves even though it was against 14 men Montpeiller. On 21 points already and qualified, I reckon Leinster are a shoe in for a home QF in 2nd or 3rd place in the rankings. Its critical that Sarries get something out of Sundays game at Scarlets. Maybe a Losing BP and the a win at AP against Toulon will be enough for Top Four FINISH.

Yes Leinster were good but Montpellier were woeful. Epitomised by their number 8 trying a chip over the top to himself 5 metres from his own try line. He got turned over and Leinster scored.

That was going to be a hammering with 15 v 15.

When French teams give up, they do it with panache.

twitter.com/cjonesy77

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 14/01/2017 09:47 by 5.JonnyComeLately.

AnneGran (IP Logged)
14 January, 2017 17:54
I can't see us loosing to Scarlets tomorrow. Our ability to grind out wins (as evidenced last week) will see us through. As for next week's game, Wasps-Toulouse game today underlined the French inability to travel well. Home quarter, job done, I'll be crossing the Irish sea for that!!

AnneGran xxxx

Seany_Boy0511 (IP Logged)
15 January, 2017 00:05
We will have to play like we did last week but this one with 15 men please! I too believe we are strong enough to beat Scarlets and hopefully with the immense crowd at AzP next week enough in the tank to beat Toulon! Exciting Times!

JO'G (IP Logged)
15 January, 2017 13:57
seems to me that each group has a clear winner - but there doesn't seem to be the second team coming through (apart from Connacht) to take places 6-8

really important we win both our last games to keep the top seeding as coming 5th seed could be a bit of a challenge (and I would rather it was Wasps)

Park team from London
European Champions
Just European champions

derbyshire fan (IP Logged)
15 January, 2017 15:07
so if Sale can avoid conceding four tries in France this afternoon, we could be confirmed top of pool irrespective of next weekend

Sara'sman (IP Logged)
15 January, 2017 15:20
Sadly the side Sale have put out will struggle not to concede four by half time.

If you want some wit to take your mind off the meaning of it all, pop across to the Sale site and have a read of the OT "panic" thread - each of the first four posts made me smile in this world of hyperbolae.

Coughie (IP Logged)
15 January, 2017 15:21
Toulon 5-nil up on Sale after 2 minutes.

Hmmmm

~ You never knowingly let the facts get in the way of the story. ~

1876-Fez (IP Logged)
15 January, 2017 15:31
...... 5-7!!!!

SUPPORT Help for Heroes:
Help for Heroes

15 January, 2017 15:42
And Toulon now a man down. Come on Sale

NomadicScot (IP Logged)
15 January, 2017 15:55
Think we are already guaranteed one of the Best Runners Up slots with 20 points. We now have to win next week against Toulon to get a Home QF. Even 3rd or 4th in the ranking otherwise we could end up Away in France or Away against Munster.

Coughie (IP Logged)
15 January, 2017 16:01
La la la la la la la la, Say ul Say ul etc

40 minutes to hold out. Giteau's arrival imminent...

bargepole (IP Logged)
15 January, 2017 16:06
Quote:
NomadicScot
Think we are already guaranteed one of the Best Runners Up slots with 20 points. We now have to win next week against Toulon to get a Home QF. Even 3rd or 4th in the ranking otherwise we could end up Away in France or Away against Munster.

By my calculations, a QF between Sarries and Wasps looks the most likely scenario.

Assuming we get a 5-pointer against Zebre next week, taking us to 22 points, it will come down to Sarries' result against Toulon. If you guys win that, we'll be coming to AZP. If you don't, we'll be welcoming you to the Ricoh.

Wasps supporter and ex-player since 1964

JO'G (IP Logged)
15 January, 2017 16:40
with any luck Sale can hold out and deny Toulon a bonus point. Means we have secured top of our group

Park team from London
European Champions
Just European champions

Coughie (IP Logged)
15 January, 2017 16:43
Sale supporters making themselves heard now.

Toulon 15:12 Sale

Adi Nako (IP Logged)
15 January, 2017 16:53
Hard to see Toulon scoring two more tries in the last 8 minutes.

Seems actually more likely that Sale win than that happens.

15 January, 2017 16:59
No way that was a yellow card against Sale

Coughie (IP Logged)
15 January, 2017 17:00
That was never a yellow card for the Sale lad.

The Toulon player was jumping the tackle.

Coughie (IP Logged)
15 January, 2017 17:02
Now Sale are down to 14 the 4th try is possible....

15 January, 2017 17:05
very sorry for Sale today; they nearly did what we wanted - no shame to them

Adi Nako (IP Logged)
15 January, 2017 17:05
Quote:
Adi Nako
Hard to see Toulon scoring two more tries in the last 8 minutes.
Seems actually more likely that Sale win than that happens.

Spoke too soon!

Coughie (IP Logged)
15 January, 2017 17:06
And Toulon get the 5 points.

Sale did not deserve that.

NomadicScot (IP Logged)
15 January, 2017 17:08
Now Toulon have everything to play for at Aliianz Park !! They will throw the French Kitchen Sink at us. This is going to be a classic.

GazzaFez (IP Logged)
15 January, 2017 17:12
Clancy basically handed that to Toulon. Longbottom went in with both arms and the Toulon player clearly jumped over him. All the tv pundits agreed that was the case. Shameful. 5 points to Toulon they didn't deserve. Will certainly make next week a bit tasty.

1876-Fez (IP Logged)
15 January, 2017 17:14
Terrible decision against Longbottom... never a Yellow..

SUPPORT Help for Heroes:
Help for Heroes

15 January, 2017 17:18
given how low the Toulon player was going into the tackle, there would now appear to be no legal way he could have been tacked.

Adi Nako (IP Logged)
15 January, 2017 17:37
Looked like a clear dive to me.

whyisitnevereasy (IP Logged)
15 January, 2017 17:45
I guess we remain top unless Toulon can beat us by 61 points Saturday is that correct ????

The ship may now enter harbour negative oilskins

Adi Nako (IP Logged)
15 January, 2017 17:49
No, if toulon score 5 tries and deny Saracens any bonus points then the aggregate "pool" points score would be Saracens 4 - Toulon 5. The head to head comes before points difference.

whyisitnevereasy (IP Logged)
15 January, 2017 17:55
Cheers Adi that's cleared that up then......

The ship may now enter harbour negative oilskins

JO'G (IP Logged)
15 January, 2017 19:27
the 1/4 finals are looking like Leinster, Clermont and Munster playing the 3 second placers

with Sarries probably hosting Wasps - or the other way round or maybe even Wasps Toulon

Two of the 3 second placers would seem to be Connacht / Toulouse and Toulon / Saracens

The last second place will probably be Glasgow but they need to get something at Welford Road. Failing that Monpellier can thrash Saints or Exeter get the result of the tournament at Clermont

The only 3 games between teams both with a chance - and thus will be the TV focus:

Sarries / Toulon
Toulouse / Connacht
Clermont / Exeter (may be academic by kick-off)

Park team from London
European Champions
Just European champions

Sarriebone (IP Logged)
15 January, 2017 22:16
The Champions Cup Facebook page have posted the group table which has us marked as qualified, I had assumed we weren't yet based on the above comments

Table here : [www.facebook.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 15/01/2017 22:18 by Sarriebone.

15 January, 2017 22:32
We are definitely qualified, Sarriebone - since even if we lose without a bonus point against Toulon on Saturday, we will still be a 'best second place' side.

Sarriebone (IP Logged)
16 January, 2017 09:50
Ah ok, so it's just the home Semi that's still up for grabs. That makes sense

5.JonnyComeLately (IP Logged)
16 January, 2017 12:13
Quote:
Sarriebone
Ah ok, so it's just the home Semi that's still up for grabs. That makes sense

Home quarter final up for grabs.

Home semi final is decided by wind direction and tea leaf patterns.

twitter.com/cjonesy77

Sarriebone (IP Logged)
16 January, 2017 12:15
D'oh, getting ahead of myself (Sm111)

primavesi (IP Logged)
16 January, 2017 12:32
It would be great if we could avoid a game against wasps in my opinion. To do so we would probably need a 5 point win, not impossible but not easy considering they still have it all to play for and we are not in the form we were in a month or so back.

AlanE (IP Logged)
16 January, 2017 13:32
Quote:
Adi Nako
No, if toulon score 5 tries and deny Saracens any bonus points then the aggregate "pool" points score would be Saracens 4 - Toulon 5. The head to head comes before points difference.

Almost but not quite right. If we both end up on 20 points then everything is based on head to head. First match points (so Toulon would be top); second points difference (currently 31-23 Sarries, not the 61 points in the pool); finally tries scored (currently 3-2 Sarries).

Our 4th try (with the bonus point) wins the pool for us whatever else happens.

I was 17 miles from Graybridge before I was caught by the school leopard

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net

Saracens Poll

How many tests will the lions win?

See results > Submit >>