rugbyunion
Latest News:
New Page 1

Whatever your views on Saracens, whether a Sarries fan or not, leave them here.

To leave a message on this board you must register. To register click HERE, it takes only a minute.
Non-rugby posts are welcome, but please prefix your subject header with "OT" or "Off Topic".

Thought for the Day:
Winter DRAWS on

Latest: Scarlets 22:22 SARACENS
Next: SARACENS v RC Toulon, Sat 21st Jan 15:15 Allianz Park
Audio: Click the link below. If it ain't there, it ain't on!
Upcoming TV: Saracens v Toulon BT Sport 2 15:00 Sat 21st Jan 2017

BBC Online Rugby Union Commentaries

The Fish | Rugby Union News | Fez Boys | Saracens Fixtures | The SSA

Calum Clark to Saracens
nickthesarrie (IP Logged)
12 January, 2017 10:31
Jonny Fordham of the Sun is reporting:

"Northampton Saints flanker Calum Clark wanted by #saracens from next season to bolster their back row"

This was previously reported by the Rugby Paper so it appears there are growing rumours here...

My only question is this: WHAT ON EARTH ARE WE DOING?!?!

I know that we have made some slightly controversial signings in the past (Schalk Burger/Matt Stevens) in most recent years who have gone on to prove great successes at Sarries but Clark is a whole new level imo.

I would be intrigued what fellow Sarries fans think... Happy to ignore the horrific disciplinary history if he plays well for us or don't want him near the squad?

Re: Calum Clark to Saracens
Dave Berko (IP Logged)
12 January, 2017 10:35
Wasn't there a thread about this before Xmas?

Roger G (IP Logged)
12 January, 2017 10:47
Quote:
nickthesarrie
... Happy to ignore the horrific disciplinary history if he plays well for us or don't want him near the squad?

Trust the coaching team. All previous "undesirables", as you say, have turned out alright, so if the coaches believe they can exorcise any skeletons then so be it.

Zider Graham (IP Logged)
12 January, 2017 10:53
I'm sure that this comment will attract derision, but I will never support him. Schalk Burger's 8 wk ban for the Fitzgerald incident was deemed as unintentional by the judicial officer. Matt Stevens was fond of a bit of Bolivian Marching Powder was caught, banned and then regularly tested. Breaking someone's arm with full intent is a different kettle of cod. In my opinion His action was premeditated and he should have been banned for life.

"Darkness washed over the Dude - Darker than a black steer's tookus on a moonless prairie night. There was no bottom."

Jim 55 (IP Logged)
12 January, 2017 11:05
Quote:
Roger G
Quote:
nickthesarrie
... Happy to ignore the horrific disciplinary history if he plays well for us or don't want him near the squad?

Trust the coaching team. All previous "undesirables", as you say, have turned out alright, so if the coaches believe they can exorcise any skeletons then so be it.

+1

Neville (IP Logged)
12 January, 2017 11:25
I would far rather that we had signed Sam Underhill, but it looks as though Bath we going to get him.

There is no doubt we need another open side and Calum Clark is a very fine player indeed.

We all know what he did. It was appalling. But he has been punished and as far as I'm concerned that's the end of it.

Our coaching staff have a track record that is second to none and if they think, and it is still "if" it's not been confirmed, he is worth a punt then I am happy to go along with them and will welcome Calum if he comes to us.

I can't envisage anybody having it in for a newly signed Saracens player,whatever his rugby past

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/01/2017 11:40 by Neville.

#wolfpack (IP Logged)
12 January, 2017 11:43
I'd rather we didn't sign him.

daz_71 (IP Logged)
12 January, 2017 11:47
He wouldn't be my first choice based on reputation but I agree with the sentiment that we should trust our coaches. Other players with 'shaky' reputations have come good for us. In terms of the current squad we are all aware of Burger's indiscretions but no one has mentioned Jim Hamiltion. For large parts of his career he was better know for his fighting rather than his rugby but he has been excellent for us in the role he has played (both on and off the field).

samgibbo (IP Logged)
12 January, 2017 11:57
Get him into a settled environment with good people around him and I think he could be a great signing. No point in dwelling on the past and, if controlled, he is just the type of abrasive player we need to maintain dominance in our pack. Big Jims done ok, no?

Zider Graham (IP Logged)
12 January, 2017 12:07
Again though, Jim pushed Paice in the back which turned into a big team brawl which led to his and Paice's ban, over zealous and niggly, and not afraid of handbags, can't find much else to put him in the same category as CC.
Happy to be corrected on Jim's record, but can't find much else apart from the usual handbags.

"Darkness washed over the Dude - Darker than a black steer's tookus on a moonless prairie night. There was no bottom."

Innings (IP Logged)
12 January, 2017 12:24
If all of us defined our futures by the most unpleasant single thing we'd ever done, all of us would have checked out years ago.

Innings

Points win matches: tries win hearts and minds.

Zider Graham (IP Logged)
12 January, 2017 12:35
Single thing yes. Banned for breaking an arm, Banned for head butting, banned for attempting to smash an elbow into someone's face, does that not show a repeated propensity for violence?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/01/2017 12:40 by Zider Graham.

Ricardo121 (IP Logged)
12 January, 2017 12:38
Quote:
Innings
If all of us defined our futures by the most unpleasant single thing we'd ever done, all of us would have checked out years ago.

+1

mfc (IP Logged)
12 January, 2017 15:12
In deed a fine player, I've watched a number of MOTM performances for the Saints against us.

I'd give him a chance, but show displeasure if he messed the bed in our colours

kakshaks (IP Logged)
12 January, 2017 20:31
Not another Stains thug! I mean, look at Ashton smiling smiley

NickL (IP Logged)
12 January, 2017 21:02
Quote:
Roger G
All previous "undesirables", as you say, have turned out alright.

With the exception of a certain Welshman?

My worry is that Clark's reputation might mean referees are reaching for a card, and TMOs and citing panels taking a close interest, when others might get the benefit of the doubt.

Roger G (IP Logged)
12 January, 2017 22:06
Quote:
NickL
Quote:
Roger G
All previous "undesirables", as you say, have turned out alright.

With the exception of a certain Welshman?

Yes but he wasn't undesirable due to a violent record. He was just a kn0b.

ninjafez (IP Logged)
13 January, 2017 09:07
more and more reports coming in from other sources about the 'rumour' looks like its going to happen. as always I remain to be convinced but will welcome him if he joins...

Ninjafez - supporting Sarries and cleaning their signs since 2006!

Seany_Boy0511 (IP Logged)
13 January, 2017 09:23
Hmm interesting, if he plays more minutes than he is banned then ok.. now I think if he sorts out his attitude he will be superb for Saracens. If he doesn't he will be banned every other week and potentially for long periods of time...

I trust the coaches and as always I will welcome any new player to the club but Clark will have to prove himself more so than any other signing. If it happens of course.

Dolph42 (IP Logged)
13 January, 2017 09:54
He would be an excellent signing, still only 27 years old and probably still motivated to get into the England team. I don't we should put too much emphasis on his past, one bad incident doesn't define a player. His most recent citing mentions him as being a leader for Saints in their local charity work and working with rugby clubs in Sierra Leone, hardly the actions of a mindless thug.

Thrupp artist (IP Logged)
13 January, 2017 12:19
Always thought he would end up captain at Saints - he is the polar opposite of a mindless thug.

tpr's headmistress (IP Logged)
13 January, 2017 12:48
Unfortunately he has been labelled by his actions on the pitch. It may be unfair but no doubt some Saints' supporters have been less than reasonable about some other teams' players too. If he comes to Saracens he will be under the microscope and hopefully prove his reputation to be unwarranted (it's only human nature to see one of your own in a rosier light).

Thrupp artist (IP Logged)
13 January, 2017 13:54
Yes the reasonable use of language is important in respect of friends and foes alike - perhaps we will all have an opportunity to consider this over the next few years?

SaintED (IP Logged)
13 January, 2017 16:43
Quote:
Seany_Boy0511
Hmm interesting, if he plays more minutes than he is banned then ok..

Tbf he has three "incidents" One where he lost the plot as a junior (the head-butting) the one with Hawkins and the most recent one. Not ideal of course but he's not a Hartley type, unavailable for all but a handful of games for their club.

I also understand that the Hawkins incident has created a reputation that he carries about but I have watched him for years and he isn't a dirty or even niggly players in terms of week in week out.

For me the recent madness was really dispiriting as I thought he had that side of things under control but maybe he never will and its just a case of managing it? I do think he is a very good player though and if he leaves us then wherever he goes I hope he's given a fresh start and makes the most of it.

StPo (IP Logged)
13 January, 2017 16:54
I offer a saints perspective, if you care for it winking smiley

I'm gutted that Calum is leaving us. He's all heart, has a terrific work rate and will do a fine job for you guys. A change of environment will bring out the best in him, and I think it's a tidy bit of business.

Seany_Boy0511 (IP Logged)
13 January, 2017 16:57
Very fair points SaintED, I also believe he is a very good player, and I do hope he proves that whether its with us or of he stays with Saints, and you are probably correct about his temprement needing to be managed, I also have faith in the coaches to do that, I do have a worry though that especially with these new law changes he could be in a lot of trouble if he becomes out of control...

whyisitnevereasy (IP Logged)
13 January, 2017 17:04
There is an article in the Northampton Chronicle confirming Callum is leaving at the end of the season and naming us as his likely destination (cant do the link).

The ship may now enter harbour negative oilskins

1876-Fez (IP Logged)
13 January, 2017 17:24
This

[www.northamptonchron.co.uk]

SUPPORT Help for Heroes:
Help for Heroes

King Zak (IP Logged)
13 January, 2017 17:31
He's undoubtedly a very good player and I've no doubt that a change of environment would benefit him immensely. My major concern is his injury record - and I don't mean the ones inflicted on others!

Nous sommes l'armée noir et rouge !

13 January, 2017 17:35
Many thanks 1876

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 13/01/2017 17:36 by whyisitnevereasy.

McSaracens (IP Logged)
13 January, 2017 17:35
I think he would prove to be a good signing. Kelly Brown is retiring at the end of the season, this looks to me a like for like substitute in terms of versatility and quality.

Two new second rowers plus Clark, Tolofua and Williams would look good business. Only other potential requirement would be a young prop to come through.

“I believe it might have been said before, but there is something special happening at Saracens, and I want to be part of it.” - Nils Mordt

Adey (IP Logged)
13 January, 2017 17:37
Give the guy a chance before assuming he's going to be banned for most of the season.

Even if he is, we'll still get more minutes out of him than we do from Fraser.

Dave Berko (IP Logged)
13 January, 2017 17:39
Quote:
whyisitnevereasy
There is an article in the Northampton Chronicle confirming Callum is leaving at the end of the season and naming us as his likely destination (cant do the link).

Greg. Get the train and buy it. You'll be quicker haha

13 January, 2017 17:52
Quote:
Dave Berko
Quote:
whyisitnevereasy

Greg. Get the train and buy it. You'll be quicker haha

Dave that is so true ......

Quinten Poulsen (IP Logged)
13 January, 2017 18:07
Quote:
Zider Graham
I'm sure that this comment will attract derision, but I will never support him. Schalk Burger's 8 wk ban for the Fitzgerald incident was deemed as unintentional by the judicial officer. Matt Stevens was fond of a bit of Bolivian Marching Powder was caught, banned and then regularly tested. Breaking someone's arm with full intent is a different kettle of cod. In my opinion His action was premeditated and he should have been banned for life.

Great, so when judging Burger you cite the judicial officer's opinion but when judging Clark you use your own. That's intellectually dishonest.

He's known for 3 incidents in about 8 years or so, the latest of which would barely have warranted a mention had it not been for the Hawkins horror show, even though it was 4.5 years on.

PotNoodleHorn (IP Logged)
13 January, 2017 18:55
THUG,

Should have been banned for life.

No place in this game for him

</EOM>

andysaint (IP Logged)
13 January, 2017 19:27
I think he will do well for you but I also think it's time for Saints and Calum to part. He's been injured for a good part of 2 seasons, has had issues with discipline and aligned to the fact that we are struggling at the moment, we need fresh blood. I think a couple more other senior players will also leave the club but that is not slight on them more of a view that we need freshening up. As an England fan would I like to see Calum in an England shirt? For me no, I don't think he has developed some parts of his game that EJ will want to see. You will however get a bloomin dedicated player and hard tackler. He will front up for you.

Wolfpack Mozart (IP Logged)
13 January, 2017 20:08
Quote:
Neville
I can't envisage anybody having it in for a newly signed Saracens player,whatever his rugby past

I will. If this turns out to be in any way true, I will be severely disappointed in the club for endorsing such a despicable individual. Matt Stevens' issues were not rugby related and Burger went through hell and back to get off his own death bed. This guy came back and immediately got banned for dropping a forearm into a defenseless player's face. That's if you can even forgive what he did originally, which I can't.

An absolute disgrace to rugby who belongs in a prison cell, not a Saracens shirt.

andysaint (IP Logged)
13 January, 2017 20:28
Since the Hawkins incident he went through to 2016 collecting only 1 yellow card IIRC for a technical infringement. He's won trophies, received MOM awards and I believe was quite involved in Movember which the Saints heavily supports. The panel also decided in the Worcester incident that it was not premeditated.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 13/01/2017 20:30 by andysaint.

13 January, 2017 20:31
Quote:
This guy came back and immediately got banned

4 years and 8 months is immediately is it?

13 January, 2017 20:36
Quote:
Quinten Poulsen
Quote:
This guy came back and immediately got banned

4 years and 8 months is immediately is it?

Came back from injury. Feel free to read the obvious context into the sentence instead of the stupid one.

13 January, 2017 21:14
Pardon me for not seeing any relevance whatsoever in him being injured!

SaintED (IP Logged)
13 January, 2017 21:37
Quote:
Wolfpack Mozart
Burger went through hell and back to get off his own death bed.

Not wishing to be provocative but what has that got to do with his gouging of Fitzgerald? Maybe I am missing context but you seem to be offering that as mitigation? If not, why include it.

13 January, 2017 21:55
Quote:
SaintED
Quote:
Wolfpack Mozart
Burger went through hell and back to get off his own death bed.

Not wishing to be provocative but what has that got to do with his gouging of Fitzgerald? Maybe I am missing context but you seem to be offering that as mitigation? If not, why include it.

What Burger went through showed numerous admirable characteristics and moreover he has come back a far more respectable and cleaner player, was what I should have properly stated, apologies. Not mitigation as such, but rather that he has learnt and changed. Clark hasn't.

13 January, 2017 23:16
I'll trust our scouts and coaches on account of their form and make my judgement of the chap when he's in a Sarries shirt.

Welcome to Sarries if true.

twitter.com/cjonesy77

Saintalex (IP Logged)
19 January, 2017 12:18
You guys are extremely lucky to have him... Great Guy, done a cashton though and jumped ship for more money, cause obviously you keep all your squad in the salary cap... NOT

Wayoutwest (IP Logged)
19 January, 2017 12:21
Quote:
Saintalex
You guys are extremely lucky to have him... Great Guy, done a cashton though and jumped ship for more money, cause obviously you keep all your squad in the salary cap... NOT

Yawn....

tpr's headmistress (IP Logged)
19 January, 2017 13:14
Quote:
Saintalex

Saints' board are more than lucky to have you - please feel free to stay there. Of course you are in a job that's so well paid you wouldn't have to move on for a better offer .... (Sm16)

1876-Fez (IP Logged)
19 January, 2017 13:47
Quote:
Saintalex

Obviously you know this is a fact?
I mean Saints may have not chosen to renew his contract. .. but that obviously wouldn't fit in with your rant.

SUPPORT Help for Heroes:
Help for Heroes

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net

Saracens Poll

WHAT DOES ASHY DESERVE?

See results > Submit >>