rugbyunion
Latest News:
New Page 1

Whatever your views on Saracens, whether a Sarries fan or not, leave them here.

To leave a message on this board you must register. To register click HERE, it takes only a minute.
Non-rugby posts are welcome, but please prefix your subject header with "OT" or "Off Topic".

Thought for the Day:
"ON THE STREETS OF PHILADELPHIA!"

Latest: NEWCASTLE FALCONS 7:29 SARACENS
Next: SARACENS v SALE SHARKS Sat 23rd Sept 15.00 Allianz
Audio: Click the link below. If it ain't there, it ain't on!
Upcoming TV: Saracens v Wasps BT Sport 14.30 Sun 8th Oct 2017

BBC Online Rugby Union Commentaries

The Fish | Rugby Union News | Fez Boys | Saracens Fixtures | The SSA

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Squad 2017-18
Barty II (IP Logged)
03 May, 2017 09:43
Realise it may be a little early for this with the season coming to its big finish, and the end of season party this weekend, but the rumour mill really is churning and I thought it might be good to have a central thread as next year's squad takes shape. So, here's what we know (or think we know):

Players Out
Jared Saunders - Jersey Reds
Tom Lindsay - ex Loan/Bedford Blues
Petrus du Plessis - London Irish
Jim Hamilton - Retired (Matchday Hospitality)
Faatiga Lemalu - ex Loan
Kelly Brown - Retired (Academy Coach)
Will Fraser - Retired
Brian Tuilagi - US Dax
Samuela Vunisa - Glasgow Warriors
Neil de Kock - Retired (back to SA)
Tim Streather - Retired
Chris Ashton - Toulon
George Perkins - Bristol
Andy Fenby - Retired

Players In/Academy Promotions
LP: Hayden Thompson-Stringer - Academy
HK: Tadgh McElroy - Lansdowne (Into Academy)
HK: Christopher Tolofua - Toulouse
TP: Kieran Longbottom - Sale Sharks
LK: Dominic Day - Melbourne Rebels
LK: Will Skelton - NSW Waratahs
FL: Calum Clark - Northampton Saints
SH: Tom Whiteley - Academy
C: Tom Griffiths - Academy
FB/WG: Liam Williams - Llanelli Scarlets

Dual Registration With Bedford Blues
LP: Ralph Adams-Hale
C: Dominic Morris

As it stands: Academy players

2017-2018 Squad
LP: Mako Vunipola, Richard Barrington, Titi Lamositele, Hayden Thompson-Stringer, Ralph Adams-Hale (D/R)
HK: Jamie George, Schalk Brits, Christopher Tolofua, Scott Spurling, Tadgh McElroy
TP: Juan Figallo, Vincent Koch, Kieran Longbottom, Billy Walker
LK: Maro Itoje, George Kruis, Will Skelton, Dominic Day, Mark Flanagan, Nick Isiekwe, Danny Cutmore, Joel Kpoku
FL: Schalk Burger, Mike Rhodes, Calum Clark, Joel Conlon, Matt Hankin?, Jack Nay, Andy Christie
N8: Billy Vunipola, Jackson Wray, Ben Earl
SH: Richard Wigglesworth, Ben Spencer, Henry Taylor, Tom Whiteley, Alex Gliksten
FH: Owen Farrell, Alex Lozowski, Max Malins
C: Brad Barritt, Marcelo Bosch, Nick Tompkins, Duncan Taylor, Tom Griffiths, Dominic Morris (D/R), Oli Morris
WG: Sean Maitland, Nathan Earle, Chris Wyles, Mike Ellery, Rotimi Segun, Elliot Obatoyinbo
FB: Alex Goode, Liam Williams, Matt Gallagher, Alastair Crossdale

Obviously plenty can play in more than one position, but have tried to put everyone in their 'primary' role. Will accept all criticism and abuse due to mistakes or updates!

Edited 14 time(s). Last edit at 24/08/2017 09:22 by Barty II.

Re: Squad 2017-18
Dolph42 (IP Logged)
03 May, 2017 09:55
Great list! I wouldn't be surprised to see Vunisa and Streather added to the departures, also right to have Hankin as a ? I just hope Fraser doesn't turn into a Saracens version of Tom Rees.

chris87 (IP Logged)
03 May, 2017 10:53
Quote:
Dolph42
Great list! I wouldn't be surprised to see Vunisa and Streather added to the departures, also right to have Hankin as a ? I just hope Fraser doesn't turn into a Saracens version of Tom Rees.

I thought I heard on Saturday on the interviews that both Tim and Vunisa was off but I couldn't work it out if I was misunderstanding it

Barty II (IP Logged)
03 May, 2017 11:02
Quote:
chris87
Quote:
Dolph42

I thought I heard on Saturday on the interviews that both Tim and Vunisa was off but I couldn't work it out if I was misunderstanding it

Certainly wouldn't be a shock. Recent seasons departures have been confirmed at the awards night as those on their way out are thanked for their service - sadly I can't go so if anyone gets the inside info then post away!

flavman 35 (IP Logged)
03 May, 2017 11:30
I thought Tim was going to be our next nils mortgage. Leading and guiding the next generation. Shame if he goes really like him

Waldo (IP Logged)
03 May, 2017 11:44
I thought I heard in the interview at the game on Saturday the interviewer ask Tim Streather what memories he would take away from Saracens - but it wasn't clear and no one else seemed to have heard it - perhaps it's those voices in my head (Sm105)

McSaracens (IP Logged)
03 May, 2017 11:52
Yep Streather and Vunisa definitely leaving.

Great list btw.

“I believe it might have been said before, but there is something special happening at Saracens, and I want to be part of it.” - Nils Mordt

McSaracens (IP Logged)
03 May, 2017 11:55
Based on the above it looks an amazing squad. Possibly if anything you would say we need a third choice tight head to cover injuries & possibly a centre?

“I believe it might have been said before, but there is something special happening at Saracens, and I want to be part of it.” - Nils Mordt

SarrieGirl (IP Logged)
03 May, 2017 17:18
I keep hearing rumours of Val Rapava-Ruskin joining for next season. And Worcester confirmed his departure yesterday but didn't state where he was off to !

Waldo (IP Logged)
03 May, 2017 17:22
Quote:
SarrieGirl
I keep hearing rumours of Val Rapava-Ruskin joining for next season. And Worcester confirmed his departure yesterday but didn't state where he was off to !

Was reported by the BBC in Jan that he is going to Gloucester

Gryff (IP Logged)
03 May, 2017 17:36
So that squad would make our Finals team something like

LP: Mako Vunipola,
HK: Jamie George,
TP: Vincent Koch,
LK: Maro Itoje, George Kruis,
FL: Schalk Burger, Mike Rhodes,
N8: Billy Vunipola,
SH: Richard Wigglesworth,
FH: Owen Farrell,
C: Brad Barritt, Duncan Taylor,
WG: Sean Maitland, Liam Williams
FB: Alex Goode,

Bench: Richard Barrington,Schalk Brits/Christopher Tolofua, Juan Figallo,Will Skelton,Calum Clark/ Jackson Wray, Ben Spencer, Alex Lozowski, Nathan Earle,

Not too shabby

ninjafez (IP Logged)
03 May, 2017 17:48
Shame for Streather, he was looking good and just kept on picking up niggling injuries, i do also wonder about Wills future...

Ninjafez - supporting Sarries and cleaning their signs since 2006!

tpr's headmistress (IP Logged)
03 May, 2017 19:13
Quote:
Waldo
Quote:
SarrieGirl

Repeated in an article about Wuss departures today "James Johnston may join Brive, while fellow prop Val Rapava Ruskin's move to Gloucester had already been announced."

Adey (IP Logged)
03 May, 2017 19:15
I've heard a whisper that Fraser's last op which was to try and fix him permenantly wasn't that successful. So yep, he could be our Tom Rees, but without the caps unfortunately.

GazzaFez (IP Logged)
04 May, 2017 08:29
Quote:
Waldo
Quote:
SarrieGirl

He's going to the Sin Bin. Just banned for shoving Greg Garner in the back.

Seany_Boy0511 (IP Logged)
04 May, 2017 10:17
I've also heard. Whispers Will is possibly retiring due to Injuries, however even if he didn't he would have a hell of a battle to get into the squad ahead of Wray, Burger, Clark, and possibly Conlon now

Barty II (IP Logged)
08 May, 2017 08:07
Quote:
chris87
Quote:
Dolph42

Word from the Big Bash is that is correct so have edited the squad list above

Barty II (IP Logged)
09 May, 2017 08:04
Quote:
Barty II
Quote:
chris87
Quote:
Dolph42

Word from the Big Bash is that is correct so have edited the squad list above

Edited again with the confirmation that Brian Tuilagi is also leaving.

So... we need a tighthead, and maybe an extra back rower..

Barty II (IP Logged)
09 May, 2017 12:54
Also updated with Tom Lindsay confirmed at Bedford

JO'G (IP Logged)
09 May, 2017 17:15
2017-2018 Squad
HK: Schalk Brits
TP: Juan Figallo, Vincent Koch
LK: Dominic Day
FL: Schalk Burger, Mike Rhodes, Calum Clark
SH: Richard Wigglesworth
C: Brad Barritt, Marcelo Bosch
WG: Sean Maitland, Chris Wyles
FB: Alex Goode

I make only the 13 players having any question marks over them about being too old after next season - and to be honest apart from the 2 Schalks there isn't really anybody who I'm expecting to be their last season

That does mean that the bulk of our squad have at least 3/4 years in them - potentially 5+

Park team from London
Just a park team from London
European Champions
Just European champions

CT (IP Logged)
09 May, 2017 17:54
Bit harsh with some of those! Clark, Koch and Maitland won't even be 30 at the end of next season.

Adey (IP Logged)
09 May, 2017 18:12
Bit harsh on Brits and Burger as well. They've been excellent this year and haven't looked off pace at all.

Barty II (IP Logged)
10 May, 2017 08:25
Quote:
JO'G
2017-2018 Squad
HK: Schalk Brits
TP: Juan Figallo, Vincent Koch
LK: Dominic Day
FL: Schalk Burger, Mike Rhodes, Calum Clark
SH: Richard Wigglesworth
C: Brad Barritt, Marcelo Bosch
WG: Sean Maitland, Chris Wyles
FB: Alex Goode

I make only the 13 players having any question marks over them about being too old after next season - and to be honest apart from the 2 Schalks there isn't really anybody who I'm expecting to be their last season

That does mean that the bulk of our squad have at least 3/4 years in them - potentially 5+

Remind me never to endorse you as Head of Recruitment! The day we question players aged 28-29 about being too old is the day we lose half the squad and the experience needed to help develop the rest of the talented young players. Utter madness.

12 May, 2017 10:05
Wow I'm nearly 28, i will be by the end of 2019... So will Farrell almost... I don't think he will be too old in 2019, he will be at his prime!!

Although I half see the point as allegedly you are past your best when you get nearly 30, but with Saracens they seem to get better with age, so yeah the experience they pass onto the young academy boys is precious and makes our younger stars the special players of the future, just look at what De Kock, Brits and Brown have done for players like Spencer, George and Wray.... Now 3 exceptional players for Saracens who had to bide their time, and with the experience they have now gained, in 6 or 7 years when they take a back seat and think about possible retirements they pass down their experience to more up and coming players, and then so forth, it's a production line and at the moment an exceptional production line.

Barty II (IP Logged)
30 May, 2017 08:05
Latest update - Samuela Vunisa joins our friends at Glasgow

Highbury Saracen (IP Logged)
30 May, 2017 09:27
Think thats on another thread Barty?!

Double Champions of Europe,we know who we are!! smiling smiley

Barty II (IP Logged)
30 May, 2017 10:43
Quote:
Highbury Saracen
Think thats on another thread Barty?!

It is, but this is more for updates on the main squad list at the top of the post (see other updates!)

30 May, 2017 11:38
If Billy gets injured next season Jackson will be flogged to death again so would like to see a non international no. 8 sign

Graeme D (IP Logged)
30 May, 2017 18:42
Also Joel Kpoku - Signed into the full academy at lock.

Graeme

Barty II (IP Logged)
31 May, 2017 08:22
Quote:
Graeme D

Have you got a link for any academy promotions Graeme? As far as I could tell Kpoku is still just part of the Under 18s

JO'G (IP Logged)
31 May, 2017 15:02
sorry I came across as a bit harsh on the retiring thread and probably didn't make the point I was trying to

I meant to say that at the end of the 2017/18 season I'm not expecting any more retirements than the 2 Schalks. And even then, they may keep going. Comparing that to the 12 players who left this year

I believe that the squad as it is, will be together for 2 years for almost all; with the vast majority having another 5 years at least in the tank

Park team from London
European Champions
Just European champions

31 May, 2017 16:02
Think that might be Mr Britts' last season hoping we can get Zmr Burger to do at least another year smiling smiley

Dolph42 (IP Logged)
31 May, 2017 16:19
I could see Wiggy, Bosch and Wyles calling time soon - they'll be 35, 34 and 35 at the start of the 2018 season.

I think this is one of the strengths of having Charlie at the club, he'll be looking 6 - 24 months out for recruitment (or succession planning if you will) e.g. Tolofua will have an impact this season, but has also been signed with one eye on when Brits leaves (assuming he isn't awesome and a French club buys out his contract!!)

31 May, 2017 18:29
It depends with Brits if his body is up for it he may well continue, it will be a sad day when he retires, hes just an all round legend and love the fact he never stops smiling

CT (IP Logged)
31 May, 2017 20:42
I think he'll continue as long as he can play the game his way, he won't want to be plodding around the pitch like some other hookers.

Barnesy (IP Logged)
01 June, 2017 03:46
Quote:
Barty II
Quote:
Graeme D

Have you got a link for any academy promotions Graeme? As far as I could tell Kpoku is still just part of the Under 18s

This article on future English U20's to watch shows tweets of Joel Kpoku and Andy Christie signing their Senior Academy contracts. It also has some good write ups on some of our other U18's likely to make the step up to the U20's.

Barty II (IP Logged)
01 June, 2017 07:39
Quote:
Barnesy
Quote:
Barty II
Quote:
Graeme D

This article on future English U20's to watch shows tweets of Joel Kpoku and Andy Christie signing their Senior Academy contracts. It also has some good write ups on some of our other U18's likely to make the step up to the U20's.

Excellent work, thank you!

02 June, 2017 20:49
It's tough to choose our best XV next season with no injuries

That's a nice problem to have, I'd probably say our best available XV would be along the lines of:

15. Goode
14. Williams
13. Taylor
12. Barritt c
11. Maitland
10. Farrell
9. Wigglesworth
8. B Vunipola
7. Wray
6. Rhodes
5. Kruis
4. Itoje
3. Figallo
2. George
1. M Vunipola

Replacements
16. Brits
17. Titi
18. Koch
19. Skelton
20. Burger¹
21. Spencer
22. Lozowski
23. Bosch*

*Tough decision because Wyles, Earle and Tompkins would not be out of place either
¹ Clark/Fraser could be here easily as well

Barty II (IP Logged)
04 June, 2017 07:57
Updated with Tadgh McElroy confirmed as senior academy hooker

King Zak (IP Logged)
04 June, 2017 09:55
I'm not sure Tolofua is coming to just be 3rd choice. I would expect him to be involved in the 'big' games - assuming he settles in okay. Brits could end up doing the Big Jim role - the hard work at the start of the season and during international periods

Nous sommes l'armée noir et rouge !

JO'G (IP Logged)
04 June, 2017 12:24
that would make sense to try and string Brits out for 2 seasons by limiting to those periods where Jamie wasn't available and for injury cover

We should expect there to be 33 serious games per season plus 5/6 LV and Jamie will be missing for around 6 of those and another 6 on rotation. Toloufa will need another 6 rotation as well - so around 20 games a season for Brits.

Park team from London
European Champions
Just European champions

Barnesy (IP Logged)
04 June, 2017 20:19
I wouldn't be surprised to see George & Tolofua rotating as starters with Brits coming on as an impact sub for 20-25mins to run around worn out opposition players and keep him going for a couple more years while McElroy develops.

Barty II (IP Logged)
06 June, 2017 14:01
Another update to the original post, Brian Tuilagi confirmed as signing for US Dax in the French D2

David@Sarries (IP Logged)
09 June, 2017 19:06
And I don't think that Clark has joined to be 3rd choice 7 either; I expect him to be first choice with Jackson covering the back row from the bench.

Callum is a much more destructive and makes more turnovers than Wray.

I also expect Tolofua to be in the matchday squad with Brits playing much more of a De Kock role as per King Zak's post.

Dolph42 (IP Logged)
09 June, 2017 22:40
Clark has to be available every week to be a starter for us. Probably Wray's best quality is his durability (closely followed by his consistency), so I would expect him to start the season as first choice.

JO'G (IP Logged)
11 June, 2017 12:28
The only concern would be that Clarke would rediscover his form well enough to bounce above Wood and Harrison in the England standngs and therefore be called up for duty.

Although on the game last night he may have to beat others as well - more Exeter players for England I say

Park team from London
European Champions
Just European champions

JO'G (IP Logged)
19 June, 2017 12:34
there was a thread about the Lions impact on the 2017/18 season in the Grauniad in the Itoje article

I really felt that only Saracens would be unduly impacted amongst the English teams but then I looked at the off-season changes to the side and realised that our new imports were in the positions where we had lions - given a full pre-season to integrate Clarke, Day, Skelton and Tolofua I'm pretty sure the pack will be not far short of the average Premiership level - with a top-up after the Autumn internationals when the Lions plays should make their full returns

The backs will be less impacted with Loz and Malins excellent back-ups for Fazlet and Williams can be slotted in after the AIs

Park team from London
European Champions
Just European champions

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 19/06/2017 12:39 by JO'G .

Dolph42 (IP Logged)
19 June, 2017 14:00
Day and Skelton play their last regular season matches on 14/15 July and are currently outside the knockout places so they won't have a full pre season. Clarke, Day and Tolofua were nursing injuries so hopefully they'll be fully fit for the start of the season - ditto Chippi, Fraser etc.

Barty II (IP Logged)
06 July, 2017 07:54
Update number 1238935 - Kieran Longbottom's return added to the squad list

Waldo (IP Logged)
06 July, 2017 12:32
Just think we have a 3rd of the Lions starting test line up in our squad - how good is that (Sm13)

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net