rugbyunion
Latest News:
New Page 1

Whatever your views on Saracens, whether a Sarries fan or not, leave them here.

To leave a message on this board you must register. To register click HERE, it takes only a minute.
Non-rugby posts are welcome, but please prefix your subject header with "OT" or "Off Topic".

Thought for the Day:
IN SEARCH OF A MIRACLE!

Latest: SARACENS 14 : 46 ASM CLERMONT AUVERGNE
Next ASM CLERMONT AUVERGNE v SARACENS Sun 17th Dec 15.15 (GMT)
ERCC, Stade Marcel Michelin
Audio: Click the link below. If it ain't there, it ain't on!
Upcoming TV: Clermont v Saracens
Sun 17th Dec 2017 BT Sport 2 15.00

BBC Online Rugby Union Commentaries

The Fish | Rugby Union News | Fez Boys | Saracens Fixtures | The SSA

Quims game moved to Olympic Stadium
Armchair Saracen (IP Logged)
07 July, 2017 10:55
Quote:
Saracens are thrilled to announce that this season’s Derby Day fixture against Harlequins will be played at London Stadium on Saturday 24th March.
The game, which has become a highlight of the Saracens calendar, will see this season’s London derby played in front of 57,000 fans at the Aviva Premiership fixture to be hosted at London Stadium.

Saracens will make the move to Queen Elizabeth Olympic Park, which hosted a number of matches during the 2015 Rugby World Cup, after a successful multi year partnership with Wembley Stadium which has seen the innovative north London club take 14 Premiership and European fixtures to the National Stadium and achieve world record crowds throughout its tenure.

Saracens CEO Heath Harvey said: “As a visionary and innovative club we are delighted to be teaming up with a stadium and team that matches our ambition to create a landmark showpiece event.”

London Stadium Chief Executive Linda Lennon CBE added: "We are delighted to announce our partnership with Saracens and look forward to welcoming their supporters for a fixture of such prestige.

"We take immense pride in delivering a diverse calendar of events and look forward to building a strong bond with Saracens and their supporters."

Harvey continued, “London Stadium has become synonymous with delivering great entertainment and sporting spectacles and this opportunity is one that both parties are very excited about.

“We have enjoyed a number of successful years with Wembley Stadium however despite continued attempts over the past year to build on the long term relationship Wembley have not matched our ambition.”

Saracens are thrilled to announce that this season’s Derby Day fixture against Harlequins will be played at London Stadium on Saturday 24th March. The game, which has become a highlight of the Saracens calendar, will see this season’s London derby played in front of 57,000 fans at the Aviva Premiership fixture to be hosted at London Stadium. Saracens will make the move to Queen Elizabeth Olympic Park, which hosted a number of matches during the 2015 Rugby World Cup, after a successful multi year partnership with Wembley Stadium which has seen the innovative north London club take 14 Premiership and European fixtures to the National Stadium and achieve world record crowds throughout its tenure. Saracens CEO Heath Harvey said: “As a visionary and innovative club we are delighted to be teaming up with a stadium and team that matches our ambition to create a landmark showpiece event.” London Stadium Chief Executive Linda Lennon CBE added: "We are delighted to announce our partnership with Saracens and look forward to welcoming their supporters for a fixture of such prestige. "We take immense pride in delivering a diverse calendar of events and look forward to building a strong bond with Saracens and their supporters." Harvey continued, “London Stadium has become synonymous with delivering great entertainment and sporting spectacles and this opportunity is one that both parties are very excited about. “We have enjoyed a number of successful years with Wembley Stadium however despite continued attempts over the past year to build on the long term relationship Wembley have not matched our ambition.”

Re: Quims game moved to Olympic Stadium
Stumpy7780 (IP Logged)
07 July, 2017 11:10
From that statement sounds like a multi-year deal. As long as I get good seats then this is perfect for me, literally 7 stops away on the Central line, will be easier to get to than Wembley and possibly even Allianz Park

chris87 (IP Logged)
07 July, 2017 11:20
It will be a multi year deal as Spurs are at Wembley this season followed by Chelsea for the following 3/4 seasons. They can't have us there as with either football team they will reach the capacity limits set by the council.

Personally, the Olympic Stadium is the only ground where I walked in and was a WOW moment (the RWC). But it has really bad sight lines and if you look at Weat Ham sites, they hate it due to this.

I would of liked the new WHL for a long term deal as we could of played on there 4G/NFL pitch

Stumpy7780 (IP Logged)
07 July, 2017 11:26
Quote:
chris87
It will be a multi year deal as Spurs are at Wembley this season followed by Chelsea for the following 3/4 seasons. They can't have us there as with either football team they will reach the capacity limits set by the council.
Personally, the Olympic Stadium is the only ground where I walked in and was a WOW moment (the RWC). But it has really bad sight lines and if you look at Weat Ham sites, they hate it due to this.

I would of liked the new WHL for a long term deal as we could of played on there 4G/NFL pitch

We say Wembley wouldn't commit to building on the long term relationship. Head of Olympic stadium says "look forward to welcoming their supporters for a fixture of such prestige" Could that mean that this is a one year deal and we will see how it goes down before choosing where to go next year. By which time WHL will be open for business.

Probably won't happen like that at all.

GazzaFez (IP Logged)
07 July, 2017 11:41
I think you could be right Stumpy. No point in committing to a long term deal without trying it out first.
Personally I welcome a change and undoubtedly, just like Wembley, a lot of people will show up just to see what it's like so almost guaranteed to be commercially successful.

Look on the bright side...at least it's not Twickenham with its dreadful transport links. Access to the olympic park is very good and the missus can take in a spot of retail therapy at the shopping centre.

Good move I reckon......however I would still prefer it at AzP!

Sara'sman (IP Logged)
07 July, 2017 11:43
No Chris! Spurs new artificial pitch is 1.65m below the grass pitch to enable fans to see over the hordes on the sidelines - American Football pitches are much narrower. It will be unsuitable for rugby as the near touchline (and c5m of the playing area) will be obscured from the sides.

I don't think the number of matches with over 50k capacity at Wembley is an issue - the limit on the number of full capacity events has been raised. But with Spurs playing there, there may be concern over pitch usage. I suspect selling out a 57k stadium will raise greater revenue than Wembley did, though I also think we'll all be pining for Wembley's sightlines. And proximity to the pitch!

Stumpy7780 (IP Logged)
07 July, 2017 11:48
Quote:
Sara'sman
I also think we'll all be pining for Wembley's sightlines. And proximity to the pitch!

I think it depends on where you are, I went for the RWC and had the worst view I have ever had at a rugby match, behind the sticks on the second tier. But someone I know who is a WH season ticket holder says that he has a great view from the sidelines and as our STH will have priority seating I am hoping for something quite good. Although the padded seating and armrests of Club Wembley will be missed haha.

paulglynn (IP Logged)
07 July, 2017 11:53
Also there are more pubs in the area around Wembley

TimH (IP Logged)
07 July, 2017 12:16
Don't underestimate the drinking spots around London Stadium, particularly Tap East and bars on Hackney Wick. The Leyton Star and Leyton Technical are a 15/20 minute walk from the stadium. And the ale on offer inside my last visit (Depeche Mode) was significantly better than Wembley. This is a serious upgrade on the Home of Football.

Seany_Boy0511 (IP Logged)
07 July, 2017 12:33
Different, sounds good to me though, but let's get the double header done with first

mfc (IP Logged)
07 July, 2017 13:07
Loving the thought of Stratford, much easier to access door to door on the same train

MickyWiz (IP Logged)
07 July, 2017 14:20
We went to the RSA v Arg RWC 3rd/4th place playoff there, great game, average stadium. Easy to get to but not a great view, unless you're in the bottom 20 rows or so it's a long way from the pitch due to the track covering and the enormous triangular floodlight supports that were such an iconic image in the Olympics have been inverted so they now point downwards. They don't actually interfere with your eyeline to the other side of the pitch but you're aware they're there in your vertical peripheral vision, if that's a term. I preferred Wembley.

Adey (IP Logged)
07 July, 2017 14:26
The main problem with the Olympic stadium is that it's nowhere near a tube station!

AlanE (IP Logged)
07 July, 2017 14:33
Quote:
Adey
The main problem with the Olympic stadium is that it's nowhere near a tube station!

Stratford (Central Line/DLR)?? Is it really that much further platform to seat compared to Wembley (which is pretty good).

I was 17 miles from Graybridge before I was caught by the school leopard

MickyWiz (IP Logged)
07 July, 2017 14:49
Jubilee line too. No, not much more of a walk through Westfield to the stadium.

Adey (IP Logged)
07 July, 2017 16:08
It's a lot longer than Wembley!

paulglynn (IP Logged)
07 July, 2017 16:19
And also a nightmare to get out from as well

TonyTaff (IP Logged)
07 July, 2017 17:05
An olympic quality quim? What's not to like?!

£630.67 (*) donated to the Saracens Foundation due to visits to the Sarries frontpage [www.rugbynetwork.net]

Please read and submit articles for publication. (*) As at October 31, 2016.

Adey (IP Logged)
07 July, 2017 17:11
Quote:
paulglynn
And also a nightmare to get out from as well

+1

Larraldo (IP Logged)
08 July, 2017 21:58
Quote: Look on the bright side...at least it's not Twickenham with its dreadful transport links.

Twickenham doesn't have dreadful transport links, it's just that you started from the wrong place.

GazzaFez (IP Logged)
09 July, 2017 09:10
Quote:
Larraldo
Quote: Look on the bright side...at least it's not Twickenham with its dreadful transport links.
Twickenham doesn't have dreadful transport links, it's just that you started from the wrong place.

I live in London. Wrong place?

Twickenham station is utterly inadequate to cope with the number of people exiting after a match. Queuing in the rain for over an hour to even get on the platform is not acceptable.

Both Wembley and Olympic Park are on the tube - exiting is never a problem and you never have to wait more than a few minutes.

I now always drive to HQ. Much the lesser of the evils on offer.

Larraldo (IP Logged)
09 July, 2017 10:23
Perhaps I should have said "you started from the wrong place :-) "

Fezzes Are Cool (IP Logged)
09 July, 2017 15:17
Quote:
mfc
Loving the thought of Stratford, much easier to access door to door on the same train B

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/07/2017 19:17 by Fezzes Are Cool.

Fezzes Are Cool (IP Logged)
09 July, 2017 19:38
I don't go to many games now since I moved out to Kent but this is an easy one for me and Mrs F.A.C to get there.

TOKS (IP Logged)
10 July, 2017 14:13
[quote GazzaFez][quote Larraldo]Quote:
Twickenham station is utterly inadequate to cope with the number of people exiting after a match. Queuing in the rain for over an hour to even get on the platform is not acceptable.[/quote]

Go to Whitton, old chap. Much easier and you are getting on at the stop before Twickers on the way home.

VyvyansNo1Fan (IP Logged)
12 July, 2017 12:07
Completely@#$%&stadium in one of the most run down parts of London.

Awful decision and we will struggle to fill it.

The views are terrible and watch out for the muggers on the way out.

Unbelievable we would go here...one to watch on the TV I think.

warwick5763 (IP Logged)
13 July, 2017 08:03
Quote:
VyvyansNo1Fan

Blimey guv.
Its a fine stadium, the only down side is you have to be patient getting to the station as you have a full on shopping centre in operation as well. But its a safety thing so mustn't grumble. Best not bring Phil and Kirsty with you though.

steviebas (IP Logged)
13 July, 2017 08:44
Quote:
VyvyansNo1Fan

Wow...I hope you are on a wind up !!! . As a Sarrie and a Hammer I have been there loads . The stadium is excellent , the views are fine , { from where I sit anyway }.
We will have no trouble filling it . The capacity is just under 60k and we get 80k at Wembley , so I don't see a problem there .
And as for MUGGERS , what on earth is that supposed to mean ..?
I'm afraid everyone can't afford to live in Totteridge or Mill Hill or the like , where I presume you reside .

But yeah , maybe you should watch it on tv .

SiBolton (IP Logged)
16 July, 2017 08:00
As a Quins supporter have to say glad it's moved from The atmosphere Hoover,went twice and that was enough.
Will go to this game,and hope it's a good one
That being said would like to go to Allianz park and watch a game when everyone is there for the rugby

Stumpy7780 (IP Logged)
16 July, 2017 10:54
Quote:
VyvyansNo1Fan

Went Friday for the Para Athletics

The Olympic park and Westfields are lovely and rejuvenated. One of the nicest parts of London. Much better than having a stadium in the middle of an industrial estate.

Views have the potential to be bad but I'm sure they'll be priced accordingly and as STH you'll have the pick of the best seats.

As for muggers nlt a single one on sight and the Athletics finished MUCH later than the Rugby will. There was also a good police presence.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net