rugbyunion
Latest News:
New Page 1

Whatever your views on Saracens, whether a Sarries fan or not, leave them here.

To leave a message on this board you must register. To register click HERE, it takes only a minute.
Non-rugby posts are welcome, but please prefix your subject header with "OT" or "Off Topic".

Thought for the Day:
"SALE INTO THE SUNSET"

Latest: SARACENS 41:13 SALE SHARKS
Next: WORCESTER WARRIORS v SARACENS Fri 29th Sept 19.45 Sixways
Audio: Click the link below. If it ain't there, it ain't on!
Upcoming TV: Saracens v Wasps BT Sport 14.30 Sun 8th Oct 2017

BBC Online Rugby Union Commentaries

The Fish | Rugby Union News | Fez Boys | Saracens Fixtures | The SSA

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Heath Harvey has gone..
1876-Fez (IP Logged)
25 August, 2017 12:11
[www.saracens.com]

All a bit sudden.. and at the start a new season...

The Board of Saracens announce that Heath Harvey will leave his position as CEO to pursue other opportunities.

Saracens Chairman, Nigel Wray, said: “Over the past couple of seasons Saracens has enjoyed significant success on and off the pitch and we would like to thank Heath for the contribution that he has made as CEO during that period. We wish Heath and his family all the very best in the future. The club is focused on building upon recent successes and is excited about the challenges that lie ahead and the start of the new season.”

The Saracens Board have appointed Mitesh Velani to be Acting CEO with immediate effect.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 25/08/2017 12:15 by 1876-Fez.

Re: Heath Harvey has gone..
Huxley (IP Logged)
25 August, 2017 12:13
Pure speculation, but statement from the club makes it sound that this might be a sacking. I wonder if we'll find out more than what's in the statement.

T7F (IP Logged)
25 August, 2017 12:53
Heath fire

ninjafez (IP Logged)
25 August, 2017 12:53
Good luck to Mitesh, hrs comes across well...

Ninjafez - supporting Sarries and cleaning their signs since 2006!

Old Curmudgeon (IP Logged)
25 August, 2017 13:10
Will anyone notice his absence? From my experience he was all talk and no do. Good luck to his temporary and permanent successors.

primavesi (IP Logged)
25 August, 2017 13:20
He had a very different style to Ed G. Whether he was less ambitious or more realistic than Ed is open to interpretation but what is for sure is he was a lot less hands on and far less willing to engage with his customers. I do think he did a lot of good behind the scenes in terms of restructuring the club, bringing costs down etc.

Is there a chance Ed G might come back? That would certainly ruffle a few feathers.

london pride (IP Logged)
25 August, 2017 13:42
Quote:
primavesi
He had a very different style to Ed G. Whether he was less ambitious or more realistic than Ed is open to interpretation but what is for sure is he was a lot less hands on and far less willing to engage with his customers. I do think he did a lot of good behind the scenes in terms of restructuring the club, bringing costs down etc.

Is there a chance Ed G might come back? That would certainly ruffle a few feathers.

I don't think EG would come back, but if he did, following the fans forum a couple of days ago, a couple of people might be quite worried.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 25/08/2017 13:43 by london pride.

p248 (IP Logged)
25 August, 2017 14:47
[quote london pride][quote primavesi]He had a very different style to Ed G. Whether he was less ambitious or more realistic than Ed is open to interpretation but what is for sure

I don't think EG would come back, but if he did, following the fans forum a couple of days ago, a couple of people might be quite worried.[/quote]

Which fans' forum was that? I don't recall seeing any notification on the 'fish, and despite being STH's for some years, neither my wife nor I received any invitation.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 25/08/2017 14:48 by p248.

ninjafez (IP Logged)
25 August, 2017 14:52
I think he is refering to the SSA AGM this past week p248

Coughie (IP Logged)
25 August, 2017 14:54
At Tuesday night SSA remarks of Mr Duckworth...

There is a very good reason why some people are not invited to certain events......

🦑

~ You never knowingly let the facts get in the way of the story. ~

Coughie (IP Logged)
25 August, 2017 15:33
Those sad baskets who see themselves as part of the Nomenklatura, who once danced the calypso with Owen Farrell's cat....

Well they might have the pictures on the sewshal meedja to prove it, but the sad reality is that they know not one end of a rugby ball from another....

RobV (IP Logged)
25 August, 2017 15:44
Always found this appointment slightly odd - from managing corporate hospitality at Wembley to CEO of one of Europe's top rugby clubs. Limits of depth I feel were probably surpassed. The statement by Nige is devoid of any real comment which suggests his contribution was underwhelming at best... onwards and upwards.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 25/08/2017 15:44 by RobV.

Waldo (IP Logged)
25 August, 2017 16:01
it's a markedly different from Ed G's leaving club statement :-

The Board of Saracens and Edward Griffiths announce that following seven very successful years with the Club Edward will be leaving at the end of the season to pursue new opportunities.

Nigel Wray, Saracens Chairman said: “After seven years as CEO Edward is moving on. He has created and leaves an outstanding and beautiful new permanent home for Saracens, and a team of people with a real caring and community focus and we will build upon this legacy. Edward will forever be a Saracen and always welcome amongst his friends at Allianz Park.”

Heath Harvey leaving club statement :-

Saracens Chairman, Nigel Wray, said: “Over the past couple of seasons Saracens has enjoyed significant success on and off the pitch and we would like to thank Heath for the contribution that he has made as CEO during that period. We wish Heath and his family all the very best in the future. The club is focused on building upon recent successes and is excited about the challenges that lie ahead and the start of the new season.”

The Saracens Board have appointed Mitesh Velani to be Acting CEO with immediate effect.

Coughie (IP Logged)
25 August, 2017 19:43
Edward knows where the bodies are buried, and Heath doesn't.

The Bard (IP Logged)
25 August, 2017 22:10
He already had a new job as a hurricane in the States by the sounds of it.

kakshaks (IP Logged)
26 August, 2017 01:23
Not a bad legacy though, CEO for 2 years and 2 Euro cups and 1 Prem Final Cup

TonyTaff (IP Logged)
26 August, 2017 05:57
Quote:
kakshaks
Not a bad legacy though, CEO for 2 years and 2 Euro cups and 1 Prem Final Cup

However, as Waldo pointed out, Nicely had the opportunity to link Heath to those achievements, but chose not to.

£630.67 (*) donated to the Saracens Foundation due to visits to the Sarries frontpage [www.rugbynetwork.net]

Please read and submit articles for publication. (*) As at October 31, 2016.

flavman 35 (IP Logged)
26 August, 2017 06:45
Ironic that Ed G was at Allianz Park last night.
Stirring the pot

Waldo (IP Logged)
26 August, 2017 08:02
He's often there.I'm sure it's purely coincidental(Sm100)

Pimpernel44 (IP Logged)
26 August, 2017 11:23
In stark contrast with EG, I once dropped HH a personal email about the clubs' deplorable technology (and apparent complacency about it) and got not even an acknowledgement, let alone a response.

I didn't always see eye-to-eye with EG (not least over swingeing ST price hikes) but at least he always had the decency to reply.

I was also pretty unimpressed by HH's insistence on pre-vetting the questions at a (rare) fans forum rather than opening it up to the floor. As such it wasn't a forum at all, rather merely a rally.

PhillFez (IP Logged)
26 August, 2017 11:46
I'm tempted to respond "Will anyone notice?" He may have been active in some areas but for the majority he was anonymous. It's true Ed was a hard act to follow as his interaction with the support base was, perhaps, unusual but very welcome.

Seany_Boy0511 (IP Logged)
27 August, 2017 00:02
So... Maybe worth a poll.. buy would people have Ed G back as CEO or not?

I personally would but you know it's highly unlikely

GerryK (IP Logged)
27 August, 2017 07:05
I would like to see Andy Duckworth take on the role, perhaps supported by Gordon Banks.
Andy has made a massive contribution to getting AzP in fghting order and has a very good relationship with supporters

TonyTaff (IP Logged)
27 August, 2017 08:46
Ed G was indeed unusual in how much effort he put in with supporters. That level of engagement shouldn't be in the job description.

However, sorting out the farrago that is the supporter interface should be. The ticket allocation for the LDH being the latest incarnation.

£630.67 (*) donated to the Saracens Foundation due to visits to the Sarries frontpage [www.rugbynetwork.net]

Please read and submit articles for publication. (*) As at October 31, 2016.

Innings (IP Logged)
27 August, 2017 20:59
No single event more blemished his tenure of office than the utter fiasco of the Wembley game last year. The worst-organised 'home' game that can be imagined. I wrote to NW and the CEO of Allianz, pointing out that they depend on their supporters to support the club, and that the treatment of casual and long-term support alike at that game was bad business for Sarries and Allianz. Not surprisingly, I did get a reply, from HH. He phoned me, wanted to know exactly what my experience had been, apologised and promised that he'd look into every aspect of the details that I gave him. Whether I'd feel confident enough to want to risk repeating the Wembley trip, where I've had several very jolly days out and one disgraceful failure, I'm still not sure. However, this news does make it more, rather than less, likely that the trip is worth another try.

Innings

Points win matches: tries win hearts and minds.

ninjafez (IP Logged)
27 August, 2017 21:49
Quote:
Innings
No single event more blemished his tenure of office than the utter fiasco of the Wembley game last year. The worst-organised 'home' game that can be imagined. I wrote to NW and the CEO of Allianz, pointing out that they depend on their supporters to support the club, and that the treatment of casual and long-term support alike at that game was bad business for Sarries and Allianz. Not surprisingly, I did get a reply, from HH. He phoned me, wanted to know exactly what my experience had been, apologised and promised that he'd look into every aspect of the details that I gave him. Whether I'd feel confident enough to want to risk repeating the Wembley trip, where I've had several very jolly days out and one disgraceful failure, I'm still not sure. However, this news does make it more, rather than less, likely that the trip is worth another try.

I actually missed Wembley last year, what went down?

Innings (IP Logged)
27 August, 2017 22:54
No tickets arrived, despite being given allocations weeks b before hand, so told to collect at the pick-up window. After 30 minutes queueing, told am at wrong window. Walk for two or three minutes to the advised window. Told there: No, that's wrong, you should have stayed in the first queue. Queue at original window was about 45 minutes first time, and no shorter this time. Parents with fractious children, one father on his own with two young children told they can't queue with him, they must wait, unattended, elsewhere. Finally get to window, staff in pieces, girl in my window is in tears, no management in sight anywhere. The staff at the windows have had to give up on sorting allocated seats, just giving people tickets in the very top rows of the top tier. behind the goal posts. The tickets I've booked in Club Wembley are long given to someone else. Some people still arriving from the queue halfway into the first half.

Would I go to Wembley again? Only if I had the tickets in my hand before I left home, otherwise, no way. I'd not want to risk repetition of the worst afternoon I've had in watching Sarries since the dawn of professional rugby.

Innings

Waldo (IP Logged)
28 August, 2017 09:40
You won't have to worry this year - we aren't playing there.

Lets hope the London Stadium is better organised

camerounfred (IP Logged)
28 August, 2017 18:25
My vote is for David Armstrong; the guy who gave Wasps the financial strength to rise again

GazzaFez (IP Logged)
28 August, 2017 19:07
They've all had their moments. It was during Ed G's tenure that we endured the biggest cock up off all time; namely the infamous coach trips to Cardiff for the Heineken Cup Final. I was on THAT coach and the experience will live long in the memory. No excuses for that whole debacle, just an utter poorly thought out shambles.

Weeksie (IP Logged)
28 August, 2017 19:14
Is the feeling he has resigned or was sacked!

Harrow Sarrie (IP Logged)
28 August, 2017 23:23
"Invited to resign" perhaps.

To Mega Therion (IP Logged)
29 August, 2017 09:38
Did he ever arrive?

https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTMpKHV_mtVeNi9mSYLq3K1i9NvBslw7N8R4UvEbLchopTFrP2k
Eparistera Daimones

TOKS (IP Logged)
29 August, 2017 09:44
The important thing is that, for whatever reason, he's gone and that can only be excellent news.

Under his stewardship the off-field side of the club had completely collapsed. Ticketing, marketing, merchandise and website had all turned to ratsh*t. In fact, if the playing side of the club hadn't been so successful and diverted attention away from the off-field stuff, I would venture to suggest his tenure could have been even shorter. His communication skills, both verbal and written, were non-existant.

Well done to the board on taking the decisive action that was required. As for a successor I will completely trust them but let's have a slightly closer look at the CV next time. With the popularity of footy in this country selling corporate space at Wembley is about as challenging as selling a bottle of cold water to a bloke in the desert. Whilst EG is an almost impossible chap to replicate let's see if we can get a real "achiever" in.

Coughie (IP Logged)
30 August, 2017 07:09
Let us toast the death of hyperbole.

The simple rhetorical devices used by some on this site are so blatantly subtle.

I am constantly amazed.

beshocked (IP Logged)
30 August, 2017 11:41
The elephant in the room is

Players before supporters. Team before the fans.

No CEO has yet been able to solve this.

Saracens are the best team in Europe with multiple internationals but the attendances of only averaging 9k and poor away support are something that has yet to be addressed.

In terms of support, Saracens had a lower average than the relegated Bristol.

There's still a significant holes in the finances.

Can the new CEO address this?

To be frank I don't care if you disagree - I am right.

If the new CEO can do this he'll make Saracens a great club, not merely a great team.

Saracens being the best team in Europe might be enough for many of you. I want Saracens to the best club in Europe.

Squawker2 (IP Logged)
30 August, 2017 12:31
Hardly subtle, Beshocked, but I do like your final line.

And Coughie, while we are at it, we could consider the issues of incorrect synecdoche regarding team for club

-----------------------------------------------------

Stuart Barnes is a Cock Womble

Coughie (IP Logged)
30 August, 2017 12:45
We could, but there is no apparent malice or apparent falsehood contained within the latter....

Whereas with the former, it appeared to me to be from a mentally unstable individual who really needs to keep taking his or her medication....

Seany_Boy0511 (IP Logged)
30 August, 2017 12:58
Beshocked, how on Earth can you expect a CEO to put the fans before anything else, there is probably only a handful of true Saracens supporters and most of them probably go to as many games as possible, I can't see how any can do anything about away support if the fans won't go to away games... It's Ultimately up to them not up to the club to arrange this is it... Yes maybe the club could get a discount for us to attend away games but ultimately the players have to come first, they are who play every week and they have to be looked after to keep performing and wanting to perform for Saracens

beshocked (IP Logged)
30 August, 2017 13:17
Funny isn't it seany boy.... other clubs don't seem to have the same issue getting fans to travel to away games.

Discounting is an option sure but alone I doubt it would lead to a serious increase.

It's good though that you acknowledge that the base of core supporters is low.

The first step to solving a problem is admitting there is one.

Do the players have to come first? That attitude will of course hold Saracens back from becoming more than a good team. Surely the players themselves would even benefit from having a bigger support base.

Coughie that's the type of condescending comment I expect from one of many fans who too often have their heads stuck in the sand, thank you for matching expectations.

Instead of reasonably telling me why I am wrong, you say I need medical attention which is an insult to those who truly need help.

Duncan96 (IP Logged)
30 August, 2017 15:15
" The core base of supporters is low"

To offer the counter view, that was certainly the case through many years at Watford and the early years in Mill Hill. This season they have had to put a cap on the sale of season tickets to allow some match day tickets to be available.

Of course that is largely down to having such a great team but it's helped by the fact that the match day experience (other than queuing for the bar at pre-season games!) is so good and well organised.

I think a little balance is in order here ! smiling smiley

beshocked (IP Logged)
30 August, 2017 15:50
Quote:
Duncan96
" The core base of supporters is low"
To offer the counter view, that was certainly the case through many years at Watford and the early years in Mill Hill. This season they have had to put a cap on the sale of season tickets to allow some match day tickets to be available.

Of course that is largely down to having such a great team but it's helped by the fact that the match day experience (other than queuing for the bar at pre-season games!) is so good and well organised.

I think a little balance is in order here ! smiling smiley

Not sure you can compare the Watford days when Sarries were playing in a football stadium and generally mid table.

The excuse of low attendances could be put down to not winning as many matches and playing in a football stadium.

In that sense, Saracens are in a much better place - own stadium and performing better as a team but commercially and in terms of attendances still not doing well enough.

It's not as if the stadium is full every game. Should be hitting 10k every game and the away support should be greater than the paltry number.

Not really balanced if you are another person who doesn't acknowledge there's a problem.

It's not all doom and gloom but come on..... you also need to think how Saracens should look to grow.

To Mega Therion (IP Logged)
30 August, 2017 16:25
Quote:
beshocked

It's not all doom and gloom but come on..... you also need to think how Saracens should look to grow.

What would your suggestions be?

https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTMpKHV_mtVeNi9mSYLq3K1i9NvBslw7N8R4UvEbLchopTFrP2k
Eparistera Daimones

ultrasarrie (IP Logged)
30 August, 2017 17:13
The issue of attendances and support base is an issue that the new CEO undoubtedly needs to address (Mark McCall has already stated publicly that the players deserve better support). For a club that has experienced extraordinary success in the last 5 years there has not been a significant increase in attendances, and I agree that for a club (not team) to be the best in Europe this has to change. However, it is not like the club has not tried its very best to change this. The extensive community programme, holiday rugby camps, partner rugby clubs in the local area, Wembley games, tournaments for juniors before every game and at half time at AP, have made little difference. Perhaps a new west stand will increase attendances, and as time passes maybe the support base more locally will grow, but if things don't change I can see the club losing players such as the likes of Ashy and Strettle to French clubs where the issue of attendances and atmosphere are not an issue: these are the environments players want to play in.

beshocked (IP Logged)
30 August, 2017 17:39
To Mega Therion surely that's the new CEO's job?

Perhaps take a leaf out of Edward Griffith's book but without the more controversial stuff.

Not trying to wind up the opposition for example.

Others have mentioned it - it's not really rocket science.

Improve customer service. Improve the infrastructure like the car park situation (haven't been in a while, is it still shocking?)

Deliver consistently good service - don't have debacles like Cardiff for example.

Improve the marketing, merchandise, improve relationships between players and supporters - don't make it us and them.

Oh and of course strive to understand how they can get more away fans and new supporters.

The market is there, just need to tap into it.

It's not just about getting them to come - it's about retention.

If a prospective fan goes to Wembley, what would make them become a long term fan?

There's lots that can be done.

ultrasarrie thank you for seeing my point of view. I am not saying that efforts haven't been made.

It's just not be working well enough - the question has to be: Why? Also what can be improved?

Innings (IP Logged)
30 August, 2017 18:09
All this raises the interesting problem that Sarries are based at their own stadium, good news. Unfortunately, that stadium has the very obvious problem that no amount of marketing, success on the field or any other positive factor can increase the availability of seats on. regular basis. So why would any marketing seek to expand the support base who actually attend games when the ground now sells out more or less every game?

In my early moments of seeing the move to AzP, which is a great place for a rugby day experience, I did wonder whether all the commitment to the ground might be a short-term success but a long-term brake on the club's ability to break through into real growth of support. That situation seems to have arrived early.

Innings

Adey (IP Logged)
30 August, 2017 19:29
Beshocked, is it just the car park you haven't been to in a while or the ground?

Pimpernel44 (IP Logged)
31 August, 2017 06:17
Quote:
GerryK
I would like to see Andy Duckworth take on the role, perhaps supported by Gordon Banks.
Andy has made a massive contribution to getting AzP in fghting order and has a very good relationship with supporters

God I hope not. He is the person responsible for the club's abysmal technology and is utterly complacent about it.

emmas42 (IP Logged)
31 August, 2017 08:44
Speaking of Technology, I've been unable to find the main Sarries website for 2 days...
I can get on the shop website, I can get on the ticket website, but the main site with news etc. seems to have vanished!
I've googled "Saracens" "Saracens Rugby" "Saracens RFC" I've changed Browsers...
am I going mad?

*Edit*
I found it by typing saracens.com into the address bar...
I would expect it to be the top result on Google for a search though!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 31/08/2017 08:46 by emmas42.

Essex-Sarrie (IP Logged)
31 August, 2017 08:51
I'm not too sure what beshocked is expecting in attendances when the max capacity is 10K?

Away support is definitely growing, Sarries on Tour are doing a great job to organise travel and discounted tickets. I appreciate that the club should be helping with these things but it needs commitment from the fans and if that comes via Sarries on Tour i'm sure they will work together in the near future.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net