rugbyunion
Latest News:
New Page 1

Whatever your views on Saracens, whether a Sarries fan or not, leave them here.

To leave a message on this board you must register. To register click HERE, it takes only a minute.
Non-rugby posts are welcome, but please prefix your subject header with "OT" or "Off Topic".

Thought for the Day:
"SALE INTO THE SUNSET"

Latest: SARACENS 41:13 SALE SHARKS
Next: WORCESTER WARRIORS v SARACENS Fri 29th Sept 19.45 Sixways
Audio: Click the link below. If it ain't there, it ain't on!
Upcoming TV: Saracens v Wasps BT Sport 14.30 Sun 8th Oct 2017

BBC Online Rugby Union Commentaries

The Fish | Rugby Union News | Fez Boys | Saracens Fixtures | The SSA

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Re: Heath Harvey has gone..
TOKS (IP Logged)
31 August, 2017 10:07
In terms of all matters connected with the club let's not forget that we effectively haven't had a CEO for the past two years. I think it's a question of hoping the club get it right this time round and then getting behind the new man.

Sarries on tour do an excellent job by the way.

TimH (IP Logged)
31 August, 2017 13:16
So, basically, nobody has the faintest clue why he has gone.

We do know we are double European club champions, in a great and developing stadium.

And one of best fly halves in the world has just signed a five year contract.

Oh, yes - sorry, people are STILL moaning about Wembley... which won't happen next year.

Sigh.

Jim 55 (IP Logged)
31 August, 2017 17:16
Quote:
TimH
We do know we are double European club champions, in a great and developing stadium.

And one of best fly halves in the world has just signed a five year contract.

Oh, yes - sorry, people are STILL moaning about Wembley... which won't happen next year.

Sigh.

It is more than faintly bizarre isn't it!

nicsue (IP Logged)
31 August, 2017 17:52
Good heavens, is Andy Duckworth still there? Rude man is my interaction with him.

TOKS (IP Logged)
31 August, 2017 18:10
Quote:
TimH

1. EG leaves
2. New CEO joins
3. Off-field activities of club fall apart (masked by continuing on-field success)
4. New CEO leaves.

Not that bizarre I would venture.

AlanE (IP Logged)
01 September, 2017 09:16
Quote:
nicsue
Good heavens, is Andy Duckworth still there? Rude man is my interaction with him.

First time I have seen him at last week's SSA event.

Certainly forthright!

I was 17 miles from Graybridge before I was caught by the school leopard

TimH (IP Logged)
01 September, 2017 09:23
Quote:
TOKS
Quote:
TimH

1. EG leaves
2. New CEO joins
3. Off-field activities of club fall apart (masked by continuing on-field success)
4. New CEO leaves.

Not that bizarre I would venture.

"masked by continuing on-field success"

You make it sound as if the club has a cunning plan to 'win games' in a bid to 'cover' a few issues in the shop and the disappearance of Laverstock Pies.

Get a grip.

For the record, I have no real knowledge of HH impact at Allianz.

But I have noticed is a successful planning application for West Stand redevelopment, a first 15K home Euro quarter final and (still) booming academy set up.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/09/2017 09:26 by TimH.

TOKS (IP Logged)
01 September, 2017 09:55
"Get a grip". LOL.

I don't know whether you have deliberately misinterpreted what I said but the clear intention was to say that the functioning (on-field) side of the club tended to take people's eye off the car crash off-field stuff. There again, it would only be people who looked at the website, tried to buy tickets, merchandise etc. (ie all of us) who would really know how bad that side was. It's not just the loss of a few pies, facetiousness does you no credit.

I have no idea how much of the other initiatives you mentioned are down to him or the committee as a whole. What I do know is that in a rare recent public utterance he was outlining some ideas for the future. A few weeks later he was out. So I suspect it a)wasn't his idea and b) that those who ousted him had their reasons.

I'm not a fan of nameless chinless CEOs who don't engage with the support base and, from what I hear, didn't engage with his own staff either. Where I work we have a CEO who we practically have to lock in his office to stop him engaging! Still, I'd much rather have it that way round.

JO'G (IP Logged)
01 September, 2017 10:08
I thought it was pretty well documented that after EG left, the new guy was due to focus on selling the facilities of Allianz for off-field activities to maximise revenue. This was deemed to be likely to increase overall revenue rather than a push on maximising supporter related spending. They also cut a number of contacts and staff numbers. both of these were likely to make more money for the club.

Its always unfortunate when a drive to increase profits means the level of service goes down and dissatisfaction increases but I suggest the overall decision on where to target spending and marketing focus wasn't taken by HH. I would suggest that as he was possibly too junior for the post he was chosen because he would not contest the direction but just get on with it

I think the club has missed a trick with the club shop / merchandising but it may have been impossible for HH to respond. Same with the ticketing going to a 3rd party. Its more likely that the board decided that and HH was left to implement

Park team from London
Just a park team from London
European Champions
Just European champions

ninjafez (IP Logged)
01 September, 2017 10:51
Quote:
JO'G
I thought it was pretty well documented that after EG left, the new guy was due to focus on selling the facilities of Allianz for off-field activities to maximise revenue. This was deemed to be likely to increase overall revenue rather than a push on maximising supporter related spending. They also cut a number of contacts and staff numbers. both of these were likely to make more money for the club.
Its always unfortunate when a drive to increase profits means the level of service goes down and dissatisfaction increases but I suggest the overall decision on where to target spending and marketing focus wasn't taken by HH. I would suggest that as he was possibly too junior for the post he was chosen because he would not contest the direction but just get on with it

I think the club has missed a trick with the club shop / merchandising but it may have been impossible for HH to respond. Same with the ticketing going to a 3rd party. Its more likely that the board decided that and HH was left to implement

I Agree, i have not had a bad experence with the club, does this make up for those who have had bad experiences? No of course but it shouldnt be overweighed either, HH may not have been popular but the club finances continue to improve if not very fast. i dont know about bookings but i have seen a lot more sponsorships renewed or gained so hoping for a bright future that the next one is more able to look at fan issues at a whole with the rest of the work done.

Ninjafez - supporting Sarries and cleaning their signs since 2006!

TimH (IP Logged)
01 September, 2017 13:23
Quote:
TOKS
"Get a grip". LOL.
I don't know whether you have deliberately misinterpreted what I said but the clear intention was to say that the functioning (on-field) side of the club tended to take people's eye off the car crash off-field stuff. There again, it would only be people who looked at the website, tried to buy tickets, merchandise etc. (ie all of us) who would really know how bad that side was. It's not just the loss of a few pies, facetiousness does you no credit.

I have no idea how much of the other initiatives you mentioned are down to him or the committee as a whole. What I do know is that in a rare recent public utterance he was outlining some ideas for the future. A few weeks later he was out. So I suspect it a)wasn't his idea and b) that those who ousted him had their reasons.

I'm not a fan of nameless chinless CEOs who don't engage with the support base and, from what I hear, didn't engage with his own staff either. Where I work we have a CEO who we practically have to lock in his office to stop him engaging! Still, I'd much rather have it that way round.

Certainly not being facetious! Did you ever taste the pies? They were amazing!

Look, as someone who still wears my 2001 European shirt and whose season ticket automatically renews, my focus is entirely on the squad and players coming into the squad... perhaps the ability to get a pint. So, I bow to your gripes on other matters.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/09/2017 13:26 by TimH.

Rupes (IP Logged)
01 September, 2017 13:34
This has been an interesting thread to read.

Some people have rose-tinted glasses re EG and no doubt he has this almost cult-like status. Sure, he did a lot for Saracens, but there were also things which fell short.

Whilst I don't disagree that he acted as a catalyst for many changes, he also wasn't perfect. As has been alluded to above, HH will fall into that category as well I suspect - a catalyst for many changes, but not perfect.

AlanE (IP Logged)
01 September, 2017 13:48
Rupes - I suspect it just shows how hard the life of a CEO is in this game. But the comparison of the valedictories for EG and HH is quite illiuminating (as someone else posted). Quite different in their tone.

Quote:
TimH

Certainly not being facetious! Did you ever taste the pies? They were amazing!

Tim - they were brilliant, and just as good without the Sarries' Star and Crescent. If you are ever near Laverstoke Farm (near Basingstoke) it is worth a diversion to buy some. And get some buffalo ice cream while you are there! And some buffalo steaks!

I should really go this afternoon.

I was 17 miles from Graybridge before I was caught by the school leopard

TOKS (IP Logged)
01 September, 2017 14:07
Tim, don't bow to anything of mine! We all have our opinions! And yes, the pies were amazing.

EG really did do extremes, good and bad. But he was accessible, communicative and prepared to admit when he had made a mistake. From those who attempted to contact the recently-departed CEO they found instead a wall of silence and a very carefully managed Fans Forum.

And I suppose it's that that gets my goat. With Nigel, EG, Small, Brad etc being eminently approachable (within normal boundaries) having someone at the top who made every effort to remain aloof and anonymous was irksome.

But on we go. Let's see who comes along next!

boomer! (IP Logged)
04 September, 2017 18:55
Quote:
beshocked

Saracens are the best team in Europe with multiple internationals but the attendances of only averaging 9k and poor away support are something that has yet to be addressed.

In terms of support, Saracens had a lower average than the relegated Bristol.

There's still a significant holes in the finances.

Can the new CEO address this?

To be frank I don't care if you disagree - I am right.

If the new CEO can do this he'll make Saracens a great club, not merely a great team.

Saracens being the best team in Europe might be enough for many of you. I want Saracens to the best club in Europe.

TBH, how many grounds would you really care to visit?

Sandy Park? certainly.
Bath? Yes.
Why, because match days can be rolled into weekenders.

The others? Toon, maybe. Anywhere else, for me?, not really.

And then even with Bath, who has ever got a half decent ticket for the Rec?

saracen1971 (IP Logged)
05 September, 2017 07:58
Wow. There are some very well informed people on here with very long memories. Ed may have done a lot right but also did a lot wrong. It's very easy to say just need to... and then offer no substance. if it's that easy do you REALLY think we wouldn't have tried?

Lots of keyboard CEOs I'm sure the club will welcome your applications for the post.

Highbury Saracen (IP Logged)
05 September, 2017 08:39
On away support theme what are figures based on?
Sometimes we dont even ask for an allocation of tickets (leicester away) last year
I would suspect Sarries on tours allocation is not taken into account or buying from home club online!
The final in edinburgh is an example where rhere were clearly more sarries than asm but their colours stand out more!
I travel to a lot of away games and think away support has increased significantly smiling smiley

Double Champions of Europe,we know who we are!! smiling smiley

Pimpernel44 (IP Logged)
05 September, 2017 09:06
Quote:
saracen1971
Wow. There are some very well informed people on here with very long memories. Ed may have done a lot right but also did a lot wrong. It's very easy to say just need to... and then offer no substance. if it's that easy do you REALLY think we wouldn't have tried?
Lots of keyboard CEOs I'm sure the club will welcome your applications for the post.

When it comes to improving the fan base I wouldn't presume to advise as I know the club has tried all sorts of things and made strenuous efforts over the years. The ridiculous one-off ticket price hike a few seasons ago (between 20% and 80% despite EG's patronising spin to the contrary) obviously didn't help at all, but that's becoming old history now.

When it comes to improving supporter services, the website, ticketing etc. I have decades of experience in membership, subscriptions and payments systems and websites, I know that Sarries' efforts are crap (the ever-helpful staff on the 'phone excepted), and I know it could be done vastly better (and how). I have explained this to Harvey, Duckworth et al but I have been ignored.

JO'G (IP Logged)
05 September, 2017 09:39
Quote:
Pimpernel44
Quote:
saracen1971

When it comes to improving supporter services, the website, ticketing etc. I have decades of experience in membership, subscriptions and payments systems and websites, I know that Sarries' efforts are crap (the ever-helpful staff on the 'phone excepted), and I know it could be done vastly better (and how). I have explained this to Harvey, Duckworth et al but I have been ignored.

Exactly this; there are probably at least 10 individual supporters who would be proud / happy to help the club out with their Website / App (we don't even have an app) for probably no real money - a free season ticket, upgrade to Fez club, could of training days...

Park team from London
Just a park team from London
European Champions
Just European champions

boomer! (IP Logged)
05 September, 2017 14:44
[quote JO'G ]Lots of keyboard CEOs I'm sure the club will welcome your applications for the post.[/quote]

When it comes to improving supporter services, the website, ticketing etc. I have decades of experience in membership, subscriptions and payments systems and websites, I know that Sarries' efforts are crap (the ever-helpful staff on the 'phone excepted), and I know it could be done vastly better (and how). I have explained this to Harvey, Duckworth et al but I have been ignored.[/quote]

Exactly this; there are probably at least 10 individual supporters who would be proud / happy to help the club out with their Website / App (we don't even have an app) for probably no real money - a free season ticket, upgrade to Fez club, could of training days...[/quote]

When we were an amateur club we relied heavily on the skills & trades of the members.

Who fixed the plumbing & showers at Bramley Road (I know), who painted the clubhouse over the summer break, who ran the kitchen, catering, the bar and of course The Olde Club Shoppe.....

No we are a professional club we take money in & pay money out and now seemingly ignore the skills and services many of its members could offer.

A sad testament to professionalism.

To Mega Therion (IP Logged)
05 September, 2017 15:52
So, enlightened people, what makes a good club a great club?

https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTMpKHV_mtVeNi9mSYLq3K1i9NvBslw7N8R4UvEbLchopTFrP2k
Eparistera Daimones

Adey (IP Logged)
05 September, 2017 17:05
Quote:
To Mega Therion

The fans. So we're totally @#$%&. Most of ours either want to have a moan about the club, or want to play the victim card with other clubs.

Pimpernel44 (IP Logged)
05 September, 2017 17:13
Quote:
JO'G
Exactly this; there are probably at least 10 individual supporters who would be proud / happy to help the club out with their Website / App (we don't even have an app) for probably no real money - a free season ticket, upgrade to Fez club, could of training days...

Indeed. I am semi-retired now and would certainly be willing to help on a "mates rates" sort of basis. But before you can accept help you need to accept that you need help. It's the complacency that grates the most.

Someone on here reported a comment from Duckworth over the Rewards4Rugby fiasco: "Oh well, there are bound to be teething troubles". No there bloody aren't, not if you plan it, manage it and test it properly!!! But if you are willing to accept teething troubles you are guaranteed to get them!

There used to be an app, I tried it then uninstalled it 'cos it simply didn't work. Has it disappeared completely now? I haven't checked since.

Pimpernel44 (IP Logged)
05 September, 2017 17:23
Quote:
To Mega Therion

Saracens is already a great club, that's why I support it. But that doesn't mean it couldn't be greater still.

Innings (IP Logged)
05 September, 2017 22:20
Great side, certainly
Great support, but limited in numbers, certainly
Great match day experience, most times, except the 'away' home games, certainly
Great rapport between the non-rugby employees of the club and the supporters. certainly not.

Therefore:
Great club, certainly not at the moment.

Innings

Points win matches: tries win hearts and minds.

beshocked (IP Logged)
06 September, 2017 12:16
Quote:
Adey
Quote:
To Mega Therion

The fans. So we're totally @#$%&. Most of ours either want to have a moan about the club, or want to play the victim card with other clubs.

Really? I think you'll find that most of the fans who moan as you call it are simply more realistic.

Not just blindly accepting everything is up to an acceptable standard.

I would agree that sometimes fans can be overly critical but then again the club won't improve if they ignore legitimate criticisms.

Perhaps you are happy and that's fine but clearly not every fan is.

Duncan96 (IP Logged)
06 September, 2017 13:36
I have a theory based on near zero evidence but here it is:

Based on the last SSA AGM/Fans Forum there appears to be a potential battle for funding between the new stand and a new training ground.

If that's right I can see the difficulty in resolving it.

On the one hand perhaps the coaching team are saying that if we are to keep this squad together within the constraints of the salary cap we need to treat the players better in every way we can. An elite, state of the art training ground would be part of that and nothing is more important to grow Saracens support than a successful team.

On the other hand, we could have the best CEO and MD in the history of Rugby but the supporter base which attends matches will just not grow, no matter how good the team, if the majority of people attending matches (or at least a significant part) are subjected to sitting in the decrepit old stand and temporary stands in the wind and rain with no proper bar etc.

Now maybe (and as I say I have no evidence for this) Heath Harvey was saying "I can't do my job without a new stand" and he was overruled by the most important people in the club, the coaches, meaning all felt, including himself, that he had to leave.

As I say, just a theory.

Dolph42 (IP Logged)
06 September, 2017 13:53
Duncan - remember the new stand is not just for supporters/hospitality it will mean the players no longer change in a portakabin and better warm up, recovery and medical facilities.

To Mega Therion (IP Logged)
06 September, 2017 14:01
Quote:
Essex-Sarrie
I'm not too sure what beshocked is expecting in attendances when the max capacity is 10K?
Away support is definitely growing, Sarries on Tour are doing a great job to organise travel and discounted tickets. I appreciate that the club should be helping with these things but it needs commitment from the fans and if that comes via Sarries on Tour i'm sure they will work together in the near future.

If SOT are doing such a great job, why are they blocking Saracens supporters on Twitter?

https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTMpKHV_mtVeNi9mSYLq3K1i9NvBslw7N8R4UvEbLchopTFrP2k
Eparistera Daimones

Adey (IP Logged)
06 September, 2017 14:41
Beshocked, we've won back to back European championships, a league and European double the season before. 6 of our current squad were Test Lions this summer. We're generally accepted as the benchmark for club rugby in the Northern Hemisphere at the moment.

Regardless of all of this there's a bunch of supporters who will just never be happy. 'they've taken the pies away', 'my seats weren't the same at HQ as at Allianz' and 'I can't get a replica shirt in XXXL'. And the weekly favourite when the ref gets announced for the weekend. Without him they'd be no game, but none of the current officials are ever good enough. Not to mention trawling other boards looking for any anti Sarries comment to take offence to.

I support the club, I pay my money to watch a sport I love. The couple of hours I'm at Allianz every other week I won't be looking out to see if the CEO is mingling with the crowds, or writing to him if cider is not available behind the bar. There's a game of rugby going on FFS, that's what you pay to see. Pay in as much as Nigel & Co do and then perhaps you can tell them how they should be running the club.

beshocked (IP Logged)
06 September, 2017 15:05
Quote:
Adey
Beshocked, we've won back to back European championships, a league and European double the season before. 6 of our current squad were Test Lions this summer. We're generally accepted as the benchmark for club rugby in the Northern Hemisphere at the moment.
Regardless of all of this there's a bunch of supporters who will just never be happy. 'they've taken the pies away', 'my seats weren't the same at HQ as at Allianz' and 'I can't get a replica shirt in XXXL'. And the weekly favourite when the ref gets announced for the weekend. Without him they'd be no game, but none of the current officials are ever good enough. Not to mention trawling other boards looking for any anti Sarries comment to take offence to.

I support the club, I pay my money to watch a sport I love. The couple of hours I'm at Allianz every other week I won't be looking out to see if the CEO is mingling with the crowds, or writing to him if cider is not available behind the bar. There's a game of rugby going on FFS, that's what you pay to see. Pay in as much as Nigel & Co do and then perhaps you can tell them how they should be running the club.

Oh look how great the team is doing so let's ignore the club structural issues.... right.... it's called papering over the cracks.

Adey you just don't get it. Also that's very insular of you - as long as you're happy....

Perhaps you don't realise it but it's a big commitment to go regularly and costs a lot of money and time. That's part of your life dedicated to supporting a club.

Do the fans always feel appreciated? I am not sure they do.

I have a lot of respect for Nigel Wray and what he's done for the club but surely the whole point is to improve the club?

You have clearly intelligent people on here wanting to help the club improve.

What exactly is wrong with that?

Just because you are happy doesn't mean things cannot improve.

Rupes (IP Logged)
06 September, 2017 16:19
So would a "good" club be:

a) one that makes lots of money, is fairly self-sufficient but wins nothing. ie is run purely as a financial concern.

or

b) one which wins lots of trophies, but is struggling financially and may run the risk of financial ruin as it's living beyond its means?

No implication on any club via those two statements by the way.

Adey (IP Logged)
06 September, 2017 16:34
9k average crowd at Allianz on matches days and there's a handful of people on here who can't work the website or buy tickets in the exact seats they want for their mates, brothers hairdresser. No wonder the club ignores them.

A big commitment? No it's not. It's fun. Or at least it's supposed to be. I go with family, we meet friends, if one of us can't go we offer the ticket around. We're not married to the club, we can't miss a game for fear of being disowned by it.

When we were sh!te everyone had an issue with the players or the coaching, most notably the expensive imports who never performed. Now they can't gripe about that side of the club they're off on one about the website or the bar. The club is never going to please every single person, it'll never be perfect. No club will be, but I know I'd rather be watching the quality rugby and the world class players we have now than some of the@#$%&we used to turn out.

Don't forget, we spent a lot of money of the move and development of Allianz. When Stains and Quims spent a load on developing their grounds they didn't spend on the squad and got relegated. Sarries didn't. They had one of the top squads in the league and won the Premiership.

Duncan96 (IP Logged)
06 September, 2017 16:47
Quote:
Dolph42
Duncan - remember the new stand is not just for supporters/hospitality it will mean the players no longer change in a portakabin and better warm up, recovery and medical facilities.

That's correct Dolph and as I said I have zero proof for my perhaps wild musings. However, the team spend 17 ish days in a year at AP and something like 220 at the training ground. Plus the portakabin they have at AP is a very grand portakabin.

On that basis the training ground is more important to them?

Waldo (IP Logged)
06 September, 2017 17:12
Not intending to be a pedant - but I expect they spend more than 17 days (ish) at AzP . They do also train there as well as OA's but i do remember Smally saying he didn't want AzP to house THE training facility as he wanted going there to be an occasion for them . I can see the logic in that .

colinmiddx (IP Logged)
06 September, 2017 17:32
Quote:
Duncan96
Quote:
Dolph42

That's correct Dolph and as I said I have zero proof for my perhaps wild musings. However, the team spend 17 ish days in a year at AP and something like 220 at the training ground. Plus the portakabin they have at AP is a very grand portakabin.

There is no conflict between the new stand and training ground. They want to fund both from one financial package. They are waiting for the coaches and players to decide what they want in the training ground, where it will be and then a cost before putting a financial package in place.

Wayoutwest (IP Logged)
07 September, 2017 12:07
We all want the club to be more self sustaining but I am not sure getting more people to games is the big answer as long as we play at AZP and its limited capacity.

More people coming to games and just buying a ticket and a pint is not the financial answer as long as we play at AZP....

The average attendance at AZP last season was 9,587 for the 11 AP home games. The lowest attendance was 7,982. Generally its the cheaper uncovered seats that are not taken up so the club are losing about 413 seats x 30 for the games we don't sell out.

The only way to take up some of the financial deficit from the fans is to have them pay more for the match day experience as we are nearly selling the ground out now with an average attendance of 9,587 per game. Numerous ways of doing this, it can be purchases of THIS SEASONS kit or hospitality etc.

That's why the club needs to offer enhanced match day experiences (The "corporates" coughie!) so they can charge those people more.

The club doesn't just need people willing to buy normal match tickets it needs people willing to pay more for the experience.

saracen1971 (IP Logged)
07 September, 2017 13:07
AzP needs to be busy more than once a fortnight for 9 months of the year. Commercial revenues are vital like it or not. Sustainability and the drive to profit is way more than bums on seats

Duncan96 (IP Logged)
07 September, 2017 13:40
Quote:
colinmiddx
Quote:
Duncan96
Quote:
Dolph42

There is no conflict between the new stand and training ground. They want to fund both from one financial package. They are waiting for the coaches and players to decide what they want in the training ground, where it will be and then a cost before putting a financial package in place.

Perhaps there is no conflict Colin but, if that were the case the training ground would be given a budget and told to find something for that. At the moment your comments show that the training ground is uncosted. So, if the final cost means there are not enough funds for both?

Duncan96 (IP Logged)
07 September, 2017 13:45
Quote:
Wayoutwest
We all want the club to be more self sustaining but I am not sure getting more people to games is the big answer as long as we play at AZP and its limited capacity.
More people coming to games and just buying a ticket and a pint is not the financial answer as long as we play at AZP....

The average attendance at AZP last season was 9,587 for the 11 AP home games. The lowest attendance was 7,982. Generally its the cheaper uncovered seats that are not taken up so the club are losing about 413 seats x 30 for the games we don't sell out.

The only way to take up some of the financial deficit from the fans is to have them pay more for the match day experience as we are nearly selling the ground out now with an average attendance of 9,587 per game. Numerous ways of doing this, it can be purchases of THIS SEASONS kit or hospitality etc.

That's why the club needs to offer enhanced match day experiences (The "corporates" coughie!) so they can charge those people more.

The club doesn't just need people willing to buy normal match tickets it needs people willing to pay more for the experience.

It was stated a couple of years ago at a fans forum that if AP sold out with the new stand, with the higher prices that would bring, together with the corporate income throughout the year, then Saracens would be self sustaining.

I think the big unmentioned is that, at the moment we have permission for 1 15,000 event. Were we to be sold out regularly I think we'd see a push for permission for more 15,000 events

Zider Graham (IP Logged)
07 September, 2017 14:02
Quote:
Adey

Your priggery is stupefying.

"Darkness washed over the Dude - Darker than a black steer's tookus on a moonless prairie night. There was no bottom."

cwrich (IP Logged)
07 September, 2017 22:21
don't really agree with Adey's tone ... however as a season ticket holder / supporter since 98/99 and someone who has very occasionally contributed but who also knows personally family / friends who work in the club ... I think much of what he says here is actually fair comment . we all like to think we know best at the end of the day just like with most other types of entertainment etc we each have the ultimate control i.e. the on / off button .

I for one am thankful for all the efforts of EG / HH / BV / MM etc to get us from where we were in the early 90s to where sea re now ... all the gripes are just noise ... it is in the end about what is happening on the pitch that matters

Pimpernel44 (IP Logged)
08 September, 2017 07:59
I'll give you some small examples of why the "noise" has a material impact. How much you think that impact matters is up to you, but it's undeniably there.

I went to the game against Munster in Dublin last season. I got my tix through the Saracens website as soon as they went on sale. For my first attempt I selected two of the highest-priced seats in the front row of the relevant block. When I attempted to check out, the website barfed up an error at me.

On the assumption that this wasn't happening to everyone (otherwise there'd have been uproar in this place) I figured that the only thing I'd done that most probably hadn't was to attempt to use some spare club cash as part-payment. So I went back and did it again, ignoring the option to use club cash, and hey presto, it worked! Only by now, the seats in the front row were no longer available and I could only get seats a fair few rows further back. So, thanks to Sarries' technological ineptitude (offering options on the website that don't actually work) I got worse seats than were warranted by my prompt efforts to purchase.

I tried the same thing later in the season for other matches and proved the point beyond doubt: attempting to use club cash to buy tickets doesn't work (or it didn't last season).

Another issue, that this time cost Sarries, not me: I attempted to use that spare club cash to place an order in the online shop, paying for the entire order with the club cash. Nope, error. Well I'd used club cash in the online shop before, so I figured that this time it was probably trying to pay for the whole order with club cash that was the problem. So I went back and paid 50p on a credit card, and the rest with club cash. Success! Financially this was no skin off my nose, but Sarries finished up paying a card processing fee for no reason other than their cr@p technology.

Another example that costs Sarries: before moving to the latest ticketing system, me and Mrs. P. had linked accounts. This meant that when buying tix during a ST holders' privileged window, either of us could buy tix online for both of us. During the move to the new system, our accounts got unlinked. There is no longer any way of linking them online, and supporter services can't do it either (I've asked). So, we can no longer buy such tix online, and we have to 'phone (and I know we're not the only ones who've encountered this issue). Not really a big deal for us, I find them very efficient on the 'phone, but at a time when all businesses are trying to nudge customers towards virtually-cost-free online shopping, Sarries are pushing up their own costs by leaving us no option but to take up someone's expensive time on the 'phone.

Yes it is (nearly) all about what happens on the pitch, but when it comes down to it I am a customer buying entertainment, and as with any other service or product I buy I will call cr@p service when I encounter it. Sarries are still in a privileged position: at least I cannot (and will not) take my custom elsewhere, but I'd rather they didn't take unnecessary advantage of that privilege!

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net