rugbyunion
Latest News:
New Page 1

Whatever your views on Saracens, whether a Sarries fan or not, leave them here.

To leave a message on this board you must register. To register click HERE, it takes only a minute.
Non-rugby posts are welcome, but please prefix your subject header with "OT" or "Off Topic".

Thought for the Day:
3 LOSSES IN A ROW - BECOMING A HABIT?

Latest: GLOUCESTER RUGBY 23 : 17 SARACENS
Next: SARACENS v EXETER CHIEFS Sun 26th Nov 15.00
Aviva Premiership, Allianz
Audio: Click the link below. If it ain't there, it ain't on!
Upcoming TV: Saracens v Exeter Chiefs
Sun 26th Nov 2017 BT Sport 14.30

BBC Online Rugby Union Commentaries

The Fish | Rugby Union News | Fez Boys | Saracens Fixtures | The SSA

Ashton at Toulon
GerryK (IP Logged)
27 August, 2017 18:23
chris has made an amazing start to his career over there, 2 tries and a try saving tackle in his first game. Video can be accessed via Rugby Union News above

Re: Ashton at Toulon
The Bard (IP Logged)
27 August, 2017 18:37
Turned it on a couple of minutes before his first try! The tackle was probably the best bit. Toulon looked considerably sharper than they did last season.

tpr's headmistress (IP Logged)
27 August, 2017 19:49
Really, the Ashton who can't tackle...(Sm161)

Good to see him make such an excellent start at his new 'home'.

SarrieSaint (IP Logged)
27 August, 2017 21:07
Pourquoi non Ash Le Splash?

AlanE (IP Logged)
28 August, 2017 07:00
I note that 'Rugby News' tags each article line in the above link showing the rugby nation involved in the subject.

The Ashton video is tagged with a South African flag. Grrrr!

I was 17 miles from Graybridge before I was caught by the school leopard

flavman 35 (IP Logged)
28 August, 2017 11:54
Fair play to him really surprised there was no ash splash on the intercept try though.

GazzaFez (IP Logged)
28 August, 2017 15:44
Quote:
tpr's headmistress

Seems like he's spent the summer at the Jacques Burger school of face tackles.......(Sm1)

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DIQu9izXYAAYU1T.jpg

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 28/08/2017 17:57 by GazzaFez.

GazzaFez (IP Logged)
28 August, 2017 16:06
Just for your delectation....

Try number 1

Try number 2

Try saving tackle...take note EJ!

Absolutely gutted we couldn't hang on to this guy. England's loss by a mile not to mention Saracens!

28 August, 2017 16:56
It looks as though someone trod on his bonce with their stilettos!! Smarting no doubt - scars of valour or annoying his wife?(Sm67)

camerounfred (IP Logged)
28 August, 2017 17:30
Homme de match?

Adey (IP Logged)
28 August, 2017 21:45
And then you open the other eye and remember that he couldn't be arsed to defend in the euro cup final build up to Abedanon's try.

JO'G (IP Logged)
29 August, 2017 10:50
Quote:
Adey
And then you open the other eye and remember that he couldn't be arsed to defend in the euro cup final build up to Abedanon's try.

When Clermont broke down the left flank there were 2 defenders to cover the 2 attackers. Ash was placed to cover bendy. However the Clermont #6 was effective in his offload in that as well as passing to Bendy, he pushed the Sarries defender (Rhodes?) backwards to tangle up with Ash and stop him getting round.

Whether he would have done so is moot of course but he was in the position to make a tackle

Park team from London
Just a park team from London
European Champions
Just European champions

Adey (IP Logged)
29 August, 2017 12:10
You watching the same try? Ashton doesn't tackle Spedding who makes the break opening up the field. He then lets Yato passed him and only makes a tackle once he's used Faz as a speed bump and has offloaded.

SarrieSaint (IP Logged)
30 August, 2017 06:15
Looked like a very good covering tackle to me. Head on I'd suggest both from Saints and Sarries that Ash isn't the best defender but chasing a player he's as good as any. Happy for him that he's had a great start to his new career.

Coughie (IP Logged)
30 August, 2017 06:21
On a separate point tackling an opponent running straight at you is far more difficult than tackling an opponent from the side or from behind. There is considerably more force coming at you and the opponent has the best chance of spoiling your tackle with a hand off, sidestep or swerve.

Players who are good at the former type of tackle usually have no difficulty with the latter types of tackle. The reverse is not necessarily true. Smaller, lighter men (or women) may have difficulty tackling a heavier, more powerful opponent running straight at them.

Talk of recalling Chris based on one tackle is somewhat premature....

~ You never knowingly let the facts get in the way of the story. ~

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 30/08/2017 06:22 by Coughie.

GazzaFez (IP Logged)
30 August, 2017 08:48
Quote:
Coughie

Talk of recalling Chris based on one tackle is somewhat premature....

No one has mentioned or indeed alluded to this at all anywhere on this page, except you. Why on earth do people have to try and turn a thread praising the great start to the season for one of our ex-players into something it is not; I really don't understand the motivation of some people.

TOKS (IP Logged)
30 August, 2017 08:50
Adey, I'm sure there are other Saracens players who made mistakes that day, so I would suspect that there are other things one of our most consistent detractors can focus on.

Us supporters will keep...err...supporting, I guess. Sometimes with two eyes, but usually only with one (Sm100)

Coughie (IP Logged)
30 August, 2017 11:52
Oh look, posts chopped and changed by other contributors. Now there's a surprise....

~ You never knowingly let the facts get in the way of the story. ~

Adey (IP Logged)
30 August, 2017 15:50
Quote:
TOKS
Adey, I'm sure there are other Saracens players who made mistakes that day, so I would suspect that there are other things one of our most consistent detractors can focus on.
Us supporters will keep...err...supporting, I guess. Sometimes with two eyes, but usually only with one (Sm100)

I've no doubt. My point was in reply to the sarcasm about him not being able to defend. Ashton will score tries whoever he plays for, he always done it and he did it in rugby league. It could be argued that anyone surprised that he's moved on and is doing well and scoring tries doesn't rate him when attacking...

CambridgeSarrie. (IP Logged)
01 September, 2017 20:00
I've noticed he tweets slot in French. Has Ashy got someone managing his account or can he actually 'do' francais? Good on him though, I've a real soft spot for him and am convinced he'll be back at AzP one day.

Here we go! Dah. Dah-dah-dee-dah....

Darraghgirl (IP Logged)
03 September, 2017 16:41
Looks like he scored again today although Toulon lost to Clermont

JO'G (IP Logged)
04 September, 2017 08:35
Quote:
Darraghgirl
Looks like he scored again today although Toulon lost to Clermont
was he playing against Stretts

Park team from London
Just a park team from London
European Champions
Just European champions

Darraghgirl (IP Logged)
04 September, 2017 08:39
Apparently not, Strets doesn't seem to have been in the ASM team - is he injured?

Just checked ASM's "Infirmerie" and he's not there so presumably didn't make the team

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/09/2017 08:41 by Darraghgirl.

Barnesy (IP Logged)
04 September, 2017 19:35
Quote:
Darraghgirl
Apparently not, Strets doesn't seem to have been in the ASM team - is he injured?
Just checked ASM's "Infirmerie" and he's not there so presumably didn't make the team

Last week when their game was on sky stretts was listed as injured so he might be just getting back to training or they might have hired the same person who used to keep the injury list on the 'fish upto date (Sm163)

Quinten Poulsen (IP Logged)
09 September, 2017 11:32
Quote:
tpr's headmistress

Please forgive me for being mischievous smiling smiley

[www.youtube.com]

09 September, 2017 20:01
Consider yourself slapped! (Sm151) Slight difference in body bulk but tackling isn't his forte - doesn't mean we can't praise him when he occasionally makes a good one.

Darraghgirl (IP Logged)
09 September, 2017 21:06
Toulon/Toulouse is on Sky tomorrow

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/09/2017 21:06 by Darraghgirl.

Darraghgirl (IP Logged)
20 October, 2017 18:59
Interesting team selection - Ashy starts at full-back v Treviso!

viewfromthe22 (IP Logged)
21 October, 2017 15:18
He's not enjoying himself. Just ha kick charged down and has incurred the wrath of Sir more than once.

F-F-F-FEZ (IP Logged)
22 October, 2017 08:19
One of the narrower victories between poorly matched teams!

Darraghgirl (IP Logged)
30 October, 2017 18:53
Ashy update - spent first half marooned on the wing and didn't touch the ball (have his practical jokes upset all his team mates?) Went hunting for it like the old Ashy in the 2nd half, scored a superb try from his own half showing pace and a good ol' splash and another when Radradra reluctantly gave him the try-scoring pass.

cwrich (IP Logged)
02 November, 2017 13:08
what a player radradra looks !

TonyTaff (IP Logged)
04 November, 2017 19:42
Sublime one-two with Tuisova (sp) for a try on 7 minutes. Playing 15 again. Not had his positioning tested yet.

630.67 (*) donated to the Saracens Foundation due to visits to the Sarries frontpage [www.rugbynetwork.net]

Please read and submit articles for publication. (*) As at October 31, 2016.

TonyTaff (IP Logged)
04 November, 2017 20:19
Ah, he has been found wanting both in positioning and tackling, but he finished the half with a fine try.

630.67 (*) donated to the Saracens Foundation due to visits to the Sarries frontpage [www.rugbynetwork.net]

TonyTaff (IP Logged)
04 November, 2017 21:00
Hatrick on 65 minutes!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net