rugbyunion
Latest News:
New Page 1

Whatever your views on Saracens, whether a Sarries fan or not, leave them here.

To leave a message on this board you must register. To register click HERE, it takes only a minute.
Non-rugby posts are welcome, but please prefix your subject header with "OT" or "Off Topic".

Thought for the Day:
"SALE INTO THE SUNSET"

Latest: SARACENS 41:13 SALE SHARKS
Next: WORCESTER WARRIORS v SARACENS Fri 29th Sept 19.45 Sixways
Audio: Click the link below. If it ain't there, it ain't on!
Upcoming TV: Saracens v Wasps BT Sport 14.30 Sun 8th Oct 2017

BBC Online Rugby Union Commentaries

The Fish | Rugby Union News | Fez Boys | Saracens Fixtures | The SSA

Owen Farrell Signs for....
Seany_Boy0511 (IP Logged)
29 August, 2017 18:09
Another 5 years, locked down until 2022 (According to Twitter) let's hope other do the same!

Re: Owen Farrell Signs for....
AlanE (IP Logged)
29 August, 2017 18:39
Locked down! Stupid expression.

I was 17 miles from Graybridge before I was caught by the school leopard

29 August, 2017 18:41
Quote:
AlanE
Locked down! Stupid expression.

I agree it's a daft expression but that's Twitter for you

AlanE (IP Logged)
29 August, 2017 18:56
Indeed. My exasperated comment wasn't aimed at you Seany_Boy but at our Marketing dept.

I was 17 miles from Graybridge before I was caught by the school leopard

GazzaFez (IP Logged)
29 August, 2017 18:59
There's something special happening at Saracens winking smiley

Innings (IP Logged)
29 August, 2017 22:58
Perhaps he's more motivated by winning stuff, being the best player and person he can be than he is by money. If he's right, the money will follow anyway.
It all reads like tremendous endorsement of why players want to join Sarries and stay there.

Innings

Points win matches: tries win hearts and minds.

Stopsy (IP Logged)
30 August, 2017 07:57
Good deal for club, player and the game in general

flavman 35 (IP Logged)
30 August, 2017 08:14
Like Seanyboy said, hopefully our coaches fears of players leaving for bigger might not come true. Hopefully faz's lead will get others staying as well.

Dolph42 (IP Logged)
30 August, 2017 08:43
Arguably by signing for 5 years (likely a 3 or 4 year extension) he has left money on the table in exchange for longer term security, in a sport which is physically precarious that's got to be attractive to Faz and will save Sarries money in years 3/4/5 of the contract.

5 year contracts in rugby are like hen's teeth, so it is a significant statement of intent. It highlights our ambition, loyalty and willingness to maintain our core group of players.

TOKS (IP Logged)
30 August, 2017 09:54
Hopefully in years to come any marginal shortfall in salary that a player could get elsewhere will be made up for in endorsements or steadily increased England payments. And thus how long before the usual green-eyed monsters start saying that endorsements should be subject to a cap as well!

GazzaFez (IP Logged)
30 August, 2017 09:55
I hope that Faz's long term commitment to the club will help to influence the mindset of his England & Lions cohort when their turn comes along. One thing about winners is that they like winning and Saracens is as good a place as any to do that. Money clearly plays an important part but it's not everything.

Waldo (IP Logged)
30 August, 2017 10:40
It doesn't guarantee he will stay for that period - it just means that if anyone wants him the cost to buy him out of his contract will be considerably more.

Makes commercial sense on both sides of the coin .

30 August, 2017 12:17
Saracens would be daft to sell him after all this 'controversial' cannot afford players etc... I hope Saracens do not sell Farrell and god willing he thrives and has a good 7 or 8 years left playing top level rugby Hopefully for Saracens, England and the Lions

King Zak (IP Logged)
30 August, 2017 14:37
Quote:
Waldo
It doesn't guarantee he will stay for that period - it just means that if anyone wants him the cost to buy him out of his contract will be considerably more.
Makes commercial sense on both sides of the coin .

That was my immediate thought!

Nous sommes l'armée noir et rouge !

ninjafez (IP Logged)
30 August, 2017 22:05
I don't think it's a headline amount besides if you first/second on the England teamsheet then I would be supprised of his endorsements and England bonus will over shadow.

Who wants to have a stab at per year lol?

Ninjafez - supporting Sarries and cleaning their signs since 2006!

31 August, 2017 10:53
Quote:
Seany_Boy0511
Saracens would be daft to sell him after all this 'controversial' cannot afford players etc... I hope Saracens do not sell Farrell and god willing he thrives and has a good 7 or 8 years left playing top level rugby Hopefully for Saracens, England and the Lions

7/8? I want another 10 at least! Charlie Hodgson retired at 35, Jonny Wilkinson retired at 35, Nick Evans at 36...

Owen has been at Saracens since 2005, I would hope we could make him a one-club-man. To me the largest risk for him leaving would be Andy Farrell accepting a club DOR role at a Premiership rival - not inconceivable given his coaching record already.

TOKS (IP Logged)
31 August, 2017 11:41
Quote:
ninjafez
I don't think it's a headline amount besides if you first/second on the England teamsheet then I would be supprised of his endorsements and England bonus will over shadow.

Who wants to have a stab at per year lol?

350K?

(Which makes him as good as Nick Evans was 5 years ago! Value for money??? LOL)

Squawker2 (IP Logged)
31 August, 2017 11:57
Certainly value for money in that case!

On 5 years, you'd anticipate something to take passage of time in as well

I just feel I'd be lucky to get within 75k if I guessed

-----------------------------------------------------

Stuart Barnes is a Cock Womble

nedrichards (IP Logged)
31 August, 2017 12:20
A thing I've idly wondered about in long contracts is how the payments are spread. If, say, the five year deal was for £5m (to make the maths easier) but rather than £1m a year it was £250k for four of the years and £4m in one of them (for which you'd obviously use the 'homegrown' marquee player slot, thus being outside the salary cap) that would significantly help in fitting into £7m a year. You could time this to take in a different player each year and sidestep some of the base salary concerns of a top squad whilst also locking them down to long contracts.

This is the kind of thing (signing bonuses, voidable years, wildly fluctuating salaries) they get up to in 'hard' salary cap leagues like the NFL all the time, but there we have the Collective Bargaining Agreement and Salary Cap rules as public documents and the key details of player contracts are also publicised. If Premiership Rugby wants to build trust in their salary cap they're going to have to start thinking of the same sort of things.

Dolph42 (IP Logged)
31 August, 2017 12:41
I'd imagine he's in the range of low to mid £400k, as previously mentioned he'll have left some money on the table for long term security and also by signing early when he's not a free agent. He presumably he has escalators to account for increases in the Cap or other changes.

Ned - such attempts to circumvent the Salary Cap are covered in the regulations, in your example only £1m (i.e. the annual average) of the final year salary would be excluded from the Cap.

The regulations are public but it's unlikely that player salaries will ever be.

#wolfpack (IP Logged)
31 August, 2017 15:23
I personally think we will struggle to keep our headline players in the next few years purely because we won't have the cash to satisfy them all.

nedrichards (IP Logged)
31 August, 2017 16:26
Thanks Dolph!

JO'G (IP Logged)
01 September, 2017 10:13
I was also given to understand that Fazlet had his commercial income as a totally separate entity from the club and thus the cap. As a result his salary was not deemed to be significantly high given his position.

I do know this is at odds with other players of a similar level at other clubs. There he would be treated as a marquee with his commercial stuff in his salary level and a cut of the commercial payments being retained by the club

It was over arrangements such as this that our 'spending over the cap' was mostly comprised.

Park team from London
Just a park team from London
European Champions
Just European champions

01 September, 2017 10:17
Players are more than capable of having outside sponsorship - see Maro's sponsorship by Adidas - that I wouldn't expect has anything to do with the club or the cap.

this will be the case with Faz's Beats by Dre sponsorship - it's a personal thing based off being an England star, neither England Rugby now Saracens are involved with the deal.

Dolph42 (IP Logged)
01 September, 2017 10:40
Schedule 1 of the Salary Cap Regulations has quite an extensive section on how endorsements should be considered and when they are excluded from the Cap, there are 16 factors for clubs to consider on this one point alone. With the likes of Farrell or Itoje it is arguable that any sponsor is contracting them due to their selection for England or the Lions rather than Saracens anyway.

ninjafez (IP Logged)
01 September, 2017 10:40
Quote:
Superman wears Schalk Brits pyjamas
Players are more than capable of having outside sponsorship - see Maro's sponsorship by Adidas - that I wouldn't expect has anything to do with the club or the cap.
this will be the case with Faz's Beats by Dre sponsorship - it's a personal thing based off being an England star, neither England Rugby now Saracens are involved with the deal.

Hes been sponsered by Beats since 2013ish i they pay out, it might now be Williams or LeBron sized but he may well be payed more by them soon!

Ninjafez - supporting Sarries and cleaning their signs since 2006!

Innings (IP Logged)
01 September, 2017 11:57
what's this voyeuristic fascination with what players are paid?

Innings

Points win matches: tries win hearts and minds.

beshocked (IP Logged)
07 September, 2017 09:14
I am not surprised that Farrell Jr wants to stay as the club has treated him incredibly well.

He is seen as the most important player at the club so it's perfectly understandable.

TOKS (IP Logged)
07 September, 2017 09:40
What we need is another spreadsheet on the Quins board. Then we will instantly and accurately know what ALL of our players are paid, not just Faz.

TonyTaff (IP Logged)
07 September, 2017 20:24
[quote TOKS]What we need is another spreadsheet on the Quins board. Then we will instantly and accurately know what ALL of our players are paid, not just Faz.[/quote

You are Confucious, and I claim my five guineas winking smiley]

£630.67 (*) donated to the Saracens Foundation due to visits to the Sarries frontpage [www.rugbynetwork.net]

Please read and submit articles for publication. (*) As at October 31, 2016.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net