rugbyunion
Latest News:
New Page 1

Whatever your views on Saracens, whether a Sarries fan or not, leave them here.

To leave a message on this board you must register. To register click HERE, it takes only a minute.
Non-rugby posts are welcome, but please prefix your subject header with "OT" or "Off Topic".

Thought for the Day:
"ON THE STREETS OF PHILADELPHIA!"

Latest: NEWCASTLE FALCONS 7:29 SARACENS
Next: SARACENS v SALE SHARKS Sat 23rd Sept 15.00 Allianz
Audio: Click the link below. If it ain't there, it ain't on!
Upcoming TV: Saracens v Wasps BT Sport 14.30 Sun 8th Oct 2017

BBC Online Rugby Union Commentaries

The Fish | Rugby Union News | Fez Boys | Saracens Fixtures | The SSA

boring, boring Sarries
JO'G (IP Logged)
02 September, 2017 21:21
so that turgid first half - how to compare it

first half versus Clermort in the semi-final 3 years ago was almost as turgid

any other borefests to compare it to

oh (Sm161)

Park team from London
Just a park team from London
European Champions
Just European champions

Re: boring, boring Sarries
Highbury Saracen (IP Logged)
03 September, 2017 11:42
I hope we dont have to suffer another first half like that again this season! smiling smiley

Double Champions of Europe,we know who we are!! smiling smiley

Seany_Boy0511 (IP Logged)
04 September, 2017 20:04
We made too many mistakes.in that first half for my liking (Sm100)

David@Sarries (IP Logged)
04 September, 2017 20:18
For me it was as good as the first half versus Toulon away and that is praise indeed.

05 September, 2017 13:00
When was the last time we leaked 3 tries in a (home) game, and how times did that happen in the last 3 seasons ? I can only think of the Wasps debacle.

I could almost hear Alex Sanderson revving up ready for a Monday morning beasting/analysis of why an abject Saints team managed to score 3 tries. Brad looked seriously fed up when the second one went in ... I was glad he did.

Personally, (and I may be rather sad) I'd rather it had been 6 - 0 in tries rather than 9 - 3.

Conclusion = Room for improvement !

TOKS (IP Logged)
05 September, 2017 13:33
And, on a very slight tangent, doesn't it show how ludicrous the bonus point system is in this country compared to France.

Remember that in France you have to be three tries ahead of the opposition in order to get your try bonus point (yes ahead - shock horror).

On Saturday, if we hadn't eased off in the second half and BT hadn't asked Sir at half-time to keep it close, we could have had a scoreline which was closer to that being run up at 20/20 finals day. Yet Saints came within a defensive stand at the end of getting a bonus point for losing 9-4 in tries.

Crackers innit.

GazzaFez (IP Logged)
05 September, 2017 14:15
At least we were better than Pests. They scored 7 (no surprise there then) and conceded 5 (no surprise there then)! They don't make a lot of it but it must be a concern.

I agree though that 6-0 would have been preferable but I'm still deliriously happy with the result.

The reality is that when you are so far ahead the dynamic of the game changes completely and your defending tends to go out of the window a bit as a consequence.

Expect a tighter game against Barf no doubt.

OldMarovian (IP Logged)
05 September, 2017 18:27
Quote:
GazzaFez
At least we were better than Pests.

Bit of a meaningless comparison as their opposition was better too.

05 September, 2017 18:39
I'm afraid Sale away are not very good
Staggered you think they are better than Saints!!

GazzaFez (IP Logged)
05 September, 2017 19:08
Quote:
OldMarovian
Quote:
GazzaFez
At least we were better than Pests.

Bit of a meaningless comparison as their opposition was better too.

How do you figure that one? Objectively not true....Saints finished 7th on 52 points last season and Sale 10th on 40. Do you know something the rest of us don't?

OldMarovian (IP Logged)
05 September, 2017 19:19
Highbury Saracen most teams are better than Saints right now.

Objectively it was the first game of the season and I was treating it as such GazzFez rather than looking at what happened last season. Fair enough if you view it in a wider context.

I thought Sale played well and but for a couple of pretty ropey calls would have had a LBP and perhaps more. Always hard to compare two different games but for me Sale played the full 80 and were competitive throughout and I'd certainly suggest the final score flattered Wasps as the Northampton result flattered them.

05 September, 2017 21:54
Sale dont turn up for away games look at their record over last few seasons!
You wont find many on this board who rate them above saints!

AlanE (IP Logged)
06 September, 2017 06:22
Quote:
Highbury Saracen

Interesting that Steve Diamond often says things in interview like 'we were targeting this one' which seems to indicate a priority on results over performance. That's not something we have heard a lot over the last few years, from BV onwards.

I was 17 miles from Graybridge before I was caught by the school leopard

06 September, 2017 08:56
Thats true Alan!
Fair play they had a good go but are not reknown for winning away

TonyTaff (IP Logged)
07 September, 2017 20:02
However, the point that the French bonus points system is superior, is unanswerable.

I know this because New Zealand has adopted it.

No, seriously, I have been an anorak of French rugby for a while. It has been a change for the good. All jurisdictions should adopt it.

630.67 (*) donated to the Saracens Foundation due to visits to the Sarries frontpage [www.rugbynetwork.net]

Please read and submit articles for publication. (*) As at October 31, 2016.

JO'G (IP Logged)
08 September, 2017 09:58
Quote:
TonyTaff
However, the point that the French bonus points system is superior, is unanswerable.
I know this because New Zealand has adopted it.

No, seriously, I have been an anorak of French rugby for a while. It has been a change for the good. All jurisdictions should adopt it.

agree on both counts;

1. TT is an anorak
2. The French bonus system is better - especially since it means its very, very, unlikely for a team to pick up two bonus points (ok 3 unconverted tries v 6 penalties is possible)

Park team from London
Just a park team from London
European Champions
Just European champions

OldMarovian (IP Logged)
08 September, 2017 10:12
Quote:
Highbury Saracen

Well Diamond has picked a pretty weak team for the home game tonight so maybe he's switching focus?

08 September, 2017 10:27
strange guy Dimes!!!!
On paper you would've thought tonights game would be a pretty tight affair smiling smiley

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net