rugbyunion
Latest News:
New Page 1

Whatever your views on Saracens, whether a Sarries fan or not, leave them here.

To leave a message on this board you must register. To register click HERE, it takes only a minute.
Non-rugby posts are welcome, but please prefix your subject header with "OT" or "Off Topic".

Thought for the Day:
IN SEARCH OF A MIRACLE!

Latest: SARACENS 14 : 46 ASM CLERMONT AUVERGNE
Next ASM CLERMONT AUVERGNE v SARACENS Sun 17th Dec 15.15 (GMT)
ERCC, Stade Marcel Michelin
Audio: Click the link below. If it ain't there, it ain't on!
Upcoming TV: Clermont v Saracens
Sun 17th Dec 2017 BT Sport 2 15.00

BBC Online Rugby Union Commentaries

The Fish | Rugby Union News | Fez Boys | Saracens Fixtures | The SSA

Fans Forum
Westrock (IP Logged)
06 November, 2017 07:57

Re: Fans Forum
ninjafez (IP Logged)
06 November, 2017 08:34
theres never much notice really with these anymore, can we at least get the audio recorded like last time for those not in a 20 mile radius

Ninjafez - supporting Sarries and cleaning their signs since 2006!

To Mega Therion (IP Logged)
06 November, 2017 08:50
Why not just play a repeat of the last one? These things tend to be the same questions and answers every time. That's why I don't bother going any more.

https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTMpKHV_mtVeNi9mSYLq3K1i9NvBslw7N8R4UvEbLchopTFrP2k
Eparistera Daimones

Westrock (IP Logged)
06 November, 2017 14:39
Was hoping we might hear about the new west stand progress. If anyone can make it please let us know what happened

AlanE (IP Logged)
06 November, 2017 17:53
Yes - feedback please if possible. On this occasion I won't be able to go - it is MrsE's birthday and I don't think she would be too amused.
(Sm159)

I was 17 miles from Graybridge before I was caught by the school leopard

Coughie (IP Logged)
08 November, 2017 16:52
Where's Heath now?

He would have been absolutely gutted to have missed this.

~ You never knowingly let the facts get in the way of the story. ~

Westrock (IP Logged)
09 November, 2017 08:04
Did anyone manage to get to this? Any feedback?

Gryff (IP Logged)
09 November, 2017 10:34
I'll try and summarise there were probably only 30 people there with Mitesh, Andy Duckworth and Gordon Bamks in the hot seats so effectively the 3 top honchos. Overall theme was stability with them pointing out Gordon had been there 12+ years Mitesh 7 and Andy 6

West Stand planning in place cost about 20m High Performance Centre land found in ST Albans currently being purchase overall another 15-20m. Currently sorting finaancing for 35-40m between shareholders funds and structured debt. Using the delay to get onerus clauses removed from West Stand planning.

West Stand will have expensive seats like the platinum ib East so some people might be displaced.

Contracts mostly done sorting last few plus Coaches who they are expecting to announce shortly and tie in to 2022 and beyond. They are happy with squad there will be some retirements but unlikely to be any big name signings.

Looking to improve profile of Womens game and Storm games. They will try to live stream both and also have doubleheaders whenever possible. They are looking at opening bars and concessions for the women and Storm games as they've been surprised at numbers.

Saracens School all ahead Senior opening in temporary accom in 2018 and primary in 2019. Both already over subscribed. A new premise being built and should be ready 2020.

London Stadium is a one year deal sales going beyond predicitons with 25K sold already. They think Wembley is too big and want a 55-65K venue for a one off match.

They were working hard with Barnet to sort parking and traffic problems.

Whilst there was still a global network the current emphasis was to make Barnet the home of Saracens to get local and further recognition.

America isthe target market it was explained all that went on the week before the Philly match and that Prem Rugby had missed out in promoting this.

Mitesh took some time trying to explain the proposed Global season and stated that there had been a lot of lazy journalism. Built in are rest periods and the overall limits of 32 games stands.

They discussed the problems with keeping the squad together as an example they said Sale could play one player a fortune as their other players were on a lower scale. That doesn't happen at Sarries with 12 current internationals a number of recent internationals etc. They stated many players had had offers of much larger salaries from France and even UK cubs but most had chosen to stay at Sarries for the added value.

The SSA was praised for it's growth of membership, it's contacts and relationships with other Clubs and it's support for the Sports Foundaion singled ut with the Glasgow events and the support for the Three Coasts Challenge mentioned. The Club want to help this grow

I think that's about it maybe someone can remember what I missed

Sara'sman (IP Logged)
09 November, 2017 10:55
Many many thanks Gryff. Any hint as to when the Wray Stand may open?

Gryff (IP Logged)
09 November, 2017 11:00
Re West Stand still hoping for 2019 and said it wasn't impossible that bulldozers would be seen before end of the season

VR1997 (IP Logged)
09 November, 2017 12:22
Thanks Gryff. Much appreciated.

Westrock (IP Logged)
09 November, 2017 12:23
Thanks very much Gryff

1876-Fez (IP Logged)
09 November, 2017 12:47
Thanks..
Wonder if other boars will read the bit about players staying for less money. .. doubt it!

SUPPORT Help for Heroes:
Help for Heroes

kakshaks (IP Logged)
09 November, 2017 12:49
Cheers Gryff. Fingers crossed Maro is a contract extension announced shortly.

colinmiddx (IP Logged)
09 November, 2017 13:24
Andy also explained how the Prem fixtures are planned.
Have to wait for round ball fixtures so Irish etc know when they can play.
Add in planning restrictions, we cant play Fridays.
Special requests, we play Quins when London Stadium available.
etc.
then put in algorithum to keep home/ away games separate and top club games outside Internationals but it doesn't eork perfectly.

Rupes (IP Logged)
09 November, 2017 14:14
Given the mention of players value, did the conversation take a slight sideways turn and the question then asked what the agreement was between Prem Rugby and the clubs regarding the issue of alleged breaches of the salary cap 18m or so ago?

Gryff (IP Logged)
09 November, 2017 15:33
Funnily enough no it didn't Rupes although I'd say Mitesh was stressing that we were being restricted by both cap and affordability. He was asked about medical jokers and made the point that it wasn't just a case of finding a replacemnt. in this case for Billy, but also the money to pay them

chris87 (IP Logged)
09 November, 2017 17:10
Quote:
Gryff

London Stadium is a one year deal sales going beyond predicitons with 25K sold already. They think Wembley is too big and want a 55-65K venue for a one off match.

Well the new White Hart Lane is due to open next year at 62k.......

GazzaFez (IP Logged)
09 November, 2017 17:15
Quote:
Gryff

They were working hard with Barnet to sort parking and traffic problems.

Did they elaborate on what they meant by this? I wasn't aware of any specific problems on either count.

saracen1971 (IP Logged)
09 November, 2017 17:18
Mainly the cars dumped anywhere on Sunday and the blocked pavements. The enforcement of yellow lines and the entrance and exit of the site safely and quickly

Sara'sman (IP Logged)
09 November, 2017 18:25
I had a chat with a resident in Featherstone Road when walking back to my car after the Irish game, specifically asking him "Does the rugby cause you any problems?" and "what about the parking?". He was very positive, said "none at all", "better than football" and that "the wardens sort out any illegal parking".

Correction: Irish, not Sale game!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/11/2017 18:28 by Sara'sman.

OldMarovian (IP Logged)
10 November, 2017 00:02
Thanks for the feedback Gryff and colin.

ninjafez (IP Logged)
13 November, 2017 18:58
Was there a mention of finances in general? Ie year to year

Ninjafez - supporting Sarries and cleaning their signs since 2006!

Gryff (IP Logged)
14 November, 2017 09:26
Quote:
ninjafez
Was there a mention of finances in general? Ie year to year

There was! If can remember right there was talk about how there had been a double digit increase in income year on year. There was also talk about how income was made up and how they think they've reached their Season Ticket level and will cap it at approx 5500. They talked about the last 3 in a row home matches and how London irish had sold out, they'd had a great turn out for a horrble timed fixture for Ospreys and well into the 9000s for Quins AW. They were very happy as regards tickets

Sara'sman (IP Logged)
14 November, 2017 10:38
Thanks again Gryff. I've recently looked at tickets left for the next three home games (Ex, Clermont and Wuss). Seems all 3 are heading for sell outs, though Clermont may return some tickets of course. Our players certainly deserve to play in full grounds.

Surprised at capping season tickets at 5.5k, I'd expected 7-7.5k. But I suppose they get more per seat on average this way if we sell out and it probably suits a large proportion of the fan base who have other regular commitments.

Regarding the double digit (percentage?) increase in revenue. Can you recall if this was for ticket revenue or overall. If the latter it's less impressive if it includes the increased BT funding. As others have said, with our higher profile, ground naming rights may see a significant increase when they are renewed.

Gryff (IP Logged)
14 November, 2017 11:03
The point was made that income from tickets and in particular season tickets was limited and therefore keeping the season ticket at a relatively modest level would allow them to maximise income by charging more for the floating tickets. They appeared shocked and thrilled by the Ospreys, LI and Wuins AW matches which had clearly exceeded forecasts.

The question was asked why didn't we look to increase the Stadium size when the West Stand was built. The answwer was that they are still tied by planning regultions they went for up to 10,500 and one a year of 15,000 as having best chance of success they belived that anything larger would have seen the planning dismissed without consideration.

They did point ut that the West Stand would result in platinum and gold seating so would bring in more revenue in addition to 500 extra.

The double digit was just on income from ticket sales

OldMarovian (IP Logged)
14 November, 2017 11:53
In the first meeting of the year they mentioned that the planning restrictions have changed so that we can have 15K once a season without having to jump through extra hoops. Which I seem to remember was regarded as a step in the right direction.

I was at Barnet Copthall yesterday and I always pop have a quick look at the stadium when I do and not for the first time wondered what it costs us every season to put up and take down the North and South stands?

I know that crowds are actually much less important as revenue streams that TV rights and advertising but I'd love the club to be able to accommodate 15K+ for regular games.

colinmiddx (IP Logged)
15 November, 2017 19:30
Quote:
OldMarovian
I know that crowds are actually much less important as revenue streams that TV rights and advertising but I'd love the club to be able to accommodate 15K+ for regular games.

The problem here is that we have to keep lanes clear on the track during the winter for athletics training.
The 15k seating covers the track. This is accepted on a one off basis but not longer term.

OldMarovian (IP Logged)
15 November, 2017 20:27
I get the whys and wherefores (sp?) just think it's frustrating.

Graeme D (IP Logged)
18 November, 2017 09:33
Quote:
OldMarovian
I get the whys and wherefores (sp?) just think it's frustrating.

I agree and was the person who asked why we couldn't have pushed for more. It would be great to see crowds of 15k every week with the odd 20k ones but that's not going to happen whilst the running club is based there.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net