rugbyunion
Latest News:
New Page 1

Whatever your views on Saracens, whether a Sarries fan or not, leave them here.

To leave a message on this board you must register. To register click HERE, it takes only a minute.
Non-rugby posts are welcome, but please prefix your subject header with "OT" or "Off Topic".

Thought for the Day:
IN SEARCH OF A MIRACLE!

Latest: SARACENS 14 : 46 ASM CLERMONT AUVERGNE
Next ASM CLERMONT AUVERGNE v SARACENS Sun 17th Dec 15.15 (GMT)
ERCC, Stade Marcel Michelin
Audio: Click the link below. If it ain't there, it ain't on!
Upcoming TV: Clermont v Saracens
Sun 17th Dec 2017 BT Sport 2 15.00

BBC Online Rugby Union Commentaries

The Fish | Rugby Union News | Fez Boys | Saracens Fixtures | The SSA

Game v Glos
1876-Fez (IP Logged)
17 November, 2017 19:09
Hearing:
Jackson Wray has picked up an injury. Kruis at 6, Clark 7, Burger 8... eeek

SUPPORT Help for Heroes:
Help for Heroes

Re: Game v Glos
King Zak (IP Logged)
17 November, 2017 19:23
Why isn't Conlon starting???

Nous sommes l'armée noir et rouge !

Highbury Saracen (IP Logged)
17 November, 2017 19:52
What a cowfield of a pitch!
Have we had s lot of rain??!!

Double Champions of Europe,we know who we are!! smiling smiley

1876-Fez (IP Logged)
17 November, 2017 20:02
All that possession and territory... and only winning 6-3..

SUPPORT Help for Heroes:
Help for Heroes

AB (IP Logged)
17 November, 2017 20:06
should be at least 20- points clear

1876-Fez (IP Logged)
17 November, 2017 20:13
Last 5 meters ...AGAIN!!

74% possession
86% Territory

Frustrating...

SUPPORT Help for Heroes:
Help for Heroes

Severus (IP Logged)
17 November, 2017 20:16
Quote:
Highbury Saracen
What a cowfield of a pitch!
Have we had s lot of rain??!!

Cheeky @#$%&. That’s the hallowed Kingsholm turf.

Seriously though the water table at CG is quite high and we really need an artificial surface. Quite pleased to be only 6 down at the break through a combination of great defence and your guys just not quite managing to convert close to the line. Thought Karl Dickson is having a good game with the whistle.

17 November, 2017 20:25
Ha ha welford road its not!! :£

Severus (IP Logged)
17 November, 2017 20:31
Quote:
Highbury Saracen
Ha ha welford road its not!! :£
Aye, Kingsholm is a far superior ground to ‘The library’

17 November, 2017 20:46
One of most one sided games Ive ever watched & we are losing....unbelievable!

GazzaFez (IP Logged)
17 November, 2017 20:51
We have a HUGE problem with this '5 metre syndrome'.

GK needs to go back to rugby school and learn how to catch and hold onto a ball. It's becoming absolutely blatant now...game after game it's the same thing. A big hole in his otherwise great ability.

GazzaFez (IP Logged)
17 November, 2017 20:57
Jeez 5 metre failure yet again!

Saracens23 (IP Logged)
17 November, 2017 21:00
Don't post often, but this has to be one of the worst saracens games I have ever watched. They have been terrible in possession in the 22. So bad.

wombles222 (IP Logged)
17 November, 2017 21:04
Have to say i can see why Eddie sent Kruis and Lozowski back to you guys this week. Kruis especially! He was ineffective against Argentina, and tonight looks off the pace and making mistakes in attack and defence! These lads are quality, but Lozowski blows hot and cold, and does not have the ability or maturity to manage a game and maintain high levels of kocking week in week out, hopefully he will get there.

Sarriebone (IP Logged)
17 November, 2017 21:06
Urgh the frustration, so much possession in the 5 and no points to show for it.

vunipolae (IP Logged)
17 November, 2017 21:08
A very poor game, Gloucester's defence was just about the only quality thing on display from either side. Have said it before but Goode and Spencer are both much more reliable kickers than Lozowski and should be kicking ahead of him

AB (IP Logged)
17 November, 2017 21:08
only ourselves to blame should have won that by a distance and only a lousy losing bonus point to show for it!

camerounfred (IP Logged)
17 November, 2017 21:11
Quote:
wombles222
Have to say i can see why Eddie sent Kruis and Lozowski back to you guys this week. Kruis especially! He was ineffective against Argentina, and tonight looks off the pace and making mistakes in attack and defence! These lads are quality, but Lozowski blows hot and cold, and does not have the ability or maturity to manage a game and maintain high levels of kocking week in week out, hopefully he will get there.

that's exactly what he does do....far too much kocking. but fair's fair 50% kicking conversion is probably near his average ..... if not above

GazzaFez (IP Logged)
17 November, 2017 21:14
Thank God for Spenno to take on and nail the pressure kick at the end for the LBP. I assume that was Brad's call. 3 out of 6 for Loz just not good enough at this level and they weren't that difficult either.

Anyone know when we last lost three games in a row?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 17/11/2017 23:29 by GazzaFez.

Red Rooster (IP Logged)
17 November, 2017 21:17
A reminder of the Steve Diamond era at Sarries. Of course, no need to panic after a second loss in the AP with some of the internationals away but two things struck me:

Firstly, in soccer parlance Gloucester seemed to want it more

Secondly, After the two Anglo-welsh performances and this, there is the nagging thought that the support cast at Sarries i.e the non-internationals and those coming through the system are not as good as in previous years.

Need to bounce back against the Chiefs next Sunday.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 17/11/2017 21:17 by Red Rooster.

The Bard (IP Logged)
17 November, 2017 21:23
We badly missed Jacko. I don't think Schalk Burger is anywhere near dynamic enough these days as a ball carrier, and it certainly isn't George Kruis' strong point either.
Suspect we'll have Loz and George next week too, but you can't tell with Eddie.
Somewhat surprised Ben Earl didn't get called up to the bench.
Third week in a row we have let a half-time lead slip badly away..

F-F-F-FEZ (IP Logged)
17 November, 2017 22:17
And on the 26th we entertain the Chiefs - could be uncomfortable. Keep the faith.

#wolfpack (IP Logged)
18 November, 2017 09:11
Why is it that in “lesser” games we increasingly seem to struggle? We never just turn up and put someone away in the league.

It can’t just be that we’re missing Farrell, Itoje and the Vunipolae.

They keep saying “we don’t pick and choose” which games to perform in but I think the evidence of the last few seasons is they do.

grunter (IP Logged)
18 November, 2017 10:42
I must say that you guys don't seem to take defeat very well at all. Do you never give any credit to a worthy opposition? There weren't many of you at Kingsholm last night, not even to show support for the top side in the league....shameful. Sarries must be one of the worst supported sides when it comes to away games. I suppose it would be a little strange going to real rugby stadiums that don't go in for dancing girls and carnival atmosphere, and just concentrate on good old fashioned rugby atmosphere.

#wolfpack (IP Logged)
18 November, 2017 10:53
Quote:
grunter
I must say that you guys don't seem to take defeat very well at all. Do you never give any credit to a worthy opposition? There weren't many of you at Kingsholm last night, not even to show support for the top side in the league....shameful. Sarries must be one of the worst supported sides when it comes to away games. I suppose it would be a little strange going to real rugby stadiums that don't go in for dancing girls and carnival atmosphere, and just concentrate on good old fashioned rugby atmosphere.

Might have something to do with the game being on a Friday night and people having jobs?

grunter (IP Logged)
18 November, 2017 11:00
I understand what you are saying Wolfpack but there are never many of your fans who bother to follow the team at Kingsholm, even an untelevised 3pm kick-off on a Saturday in bright sunshine.

Convex Hull (IP Logged)
18 November, 2017 12:22
Over the years there have been more adverse comments about Kingsholm on this board than any other ground, which hardly encourages any Sarries fan to spend their time/money making a trip. There are plenty of opportunities to watch Sarries playing better teams at nicer venues throughout the season.

Regardez mon visage. Suis-je bovvered?

tpr's headmistress (IP Logged)
18 November, 2017 13:10
That's a bit harsh CH, although the 'good old fashioned atmosphere' is less than welcoming and the seating arrangements leave a lot to be desired (of course that's a result of there being a lot of ST holders). It's expensive and a long drive, especially on a Friday. Enjoying a sunny Saturday afternoon with braying donkey noises just isn't fun .... Definite pass in our house nowadays. I don't recall a whole lot of Glos supporters attending AP either.

The Bard (IP Logged)
18 November, 2017 13:17
I would have gone but the hotel prices in the whole area were outrageously high, probably because of racing at Cheltenham. Hotels we have used before that cost around £40 were upwards of £100. Holiday Inn Express was £140!
I really enjoy Gloucester and have been several times, but I couldn't justify that price.
Don't think anyone is understating how well Glos defended last night (and at other times this season). We'd have been proud of that display ourselves.

flavman 35 (IP Logged)
18 November, 2017 13:52
Hello grunter. Can I ask when was the last time you came to ours?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 18/11/2017 13:53 by flavman 35.

batfordboy (IP Logged)
18 November, 2017 14:29
Sadly gave up going to Kingholm a few years back as the atmosphere was becoming more unpleasant year on year, On my last visit the verbal abuse I received was so bad I moved seats only to find myself sitting next to some charm merchant who threatened to duff me up unless I stopped shouting.
Went into a pub for a beer after the game only to be subjected to a further tirade of abuse
All teams have a minority of unpleasant idiots including Sarries but Gloucester seem to have a lot more than most.
Shame, as it's a nice town and a "proper " rugby club.

Adey (IP Logged)
18 November, 2017 17:11
I go down and stay with a mate who lives in Cheltenham. Meal, few beers, go to the game, night out after. Next year we’ve decided to do all of the above but not go to the game.

Gloucester is not a nice town. It’s a sh*thole of a council estate.

The fans don’t give Kingsholm an atmosphere. They’re knuckle dragging @#$%& mutants. And that’s to quote my mate who is a Glos fan.

JO'G (IP Logged)
18 November, 2017 17:35
Quote:
grunter
I understand what you are saying Wolfpack but there are never many of your fans who bother to follow the team at Kingsholm, even an untelevised 3pm kick-off on a Saturday in bright sunshine.

really annoyed all week that FGW don't run any trains from london that arrive before 7:15 that don't leave before I can get to Paddington or even from Reading. Was fine when I worked in Newbury; Friday games no problem.

However now i'm glad I didn't go - at least I didn't have to face the Kingsolm 'banter'

Park team from London
Just a park team from London
European Champions
Just European champions

Jim 55 (IP Logged)
18 November, 2017 18:45
I've heard the stories so never went however time to sample the venue so was there last night. Didn't hear a bad word, good conversation with Glos fans, everybody around the ground was pleasant and helpful.
Destroyed all my preconceptions thoroughly enjoyed the evening - apart from the rugby of course......
Must say I thought the home support, once they got going, was tremendous.

Seany_Boy0511 (IP Logged)
18 November, 2017 20:15
Gloucester deserved to win, they took their opportunities we didn't, I think losing this will spur us on next week back at AzP come on Sarries, let's get back to Winning ways!

Innings (IP Logged)
18 November, 2017 22:58
I try to go to the Glos away game every year. I've had good times with the local support, and been abused on other occasions. Overall, I think it's a very poor substitute for the sporting welcome at places like Tigers, Saints or Chiefs, where sitting among the local support gives interesting chat about players, the game and so on. IMHO, if Gloucester don't welcome away support, they should be grateful if it doesn't go there.

Innings

Points win matches: tries win hearts and minds.

AB (IP Logged)
19 November, 2017 09:46
Surprised no-pone made any remarks about the very m noisy Gloucester fans who tried to put Spencer off his kick

Innings (IP Logged)
20 November, 2017 00:06
Noisy fans? Wait until Clermont's noise when their own kicker is lining up. That's noise!

Innings

Points win matches: tries win hearts and minds.

Wayoutwest (IP Logged)
20 November, 2017 08:52
Next week is a big game...

It will show whether the ability is there to be in the mix for some silverware this season. The desire is there but the application especially within the oppo's 22 does seem to be a bit flaky this season and as the game goes on it zaps confidence.

You could see the resolve of the players dissipate as the 1st half went on and opportunity after opportunity was lost. Then when we kicked for goal only 50% were on target which again undermines confidence. At the same time you could see glos lift in confidence as we butchered opportunities and fair play they took theirs.

It's a big game on Sunday against the league leaders, if we can't get up for that and show more application in the last 5m then IMHO it says a lot about the this season's end point.

Roger G (IP Logged)
20 November, 2017 09:05
Quote:
Wayoutwest
It's a big game on Sunday against the league leaders, if we can't get up for that and show more application in the last 5m then IMHO it says a lot about the this season's end point.

I disagree. I know other clubs are also missing players but some of our absentees are IMHO world class (Faz, Maro, Billy) and leave a bigger hole than just the numbers would suggest. I'm confident that, come the end of the season and with our best team out, we are capable of beating anybody, and likely to win the big games more often than not. There are no guarantees of success, but to write off our chances at this stage of the season and during an international period seems very premature.

Ken I L Worth (IP Logged)
20 November, 2017 09:37
Quote:
AB
Surprised no-pone made any remarks about the very m noisy Gloucester fans who tried to put Spencer off his kick

They weren't actually trying to put him off, it was last chance exuberance of a totally unexpected victory especially after the first half. But quiTE convinced if roles had been reversed you wouldn't have heard the end of it!

I've often asked top level kickers about noise, generallY the response is that they prefer background noise to help them focus, especially on big kicks.

One told me he hates pin drop silence...the only noise he can hear is his pulse racing through his head!

Wayoutwest (IP Logged)
20 November, 2017 10:59
Roger, you have to be in the top four come the end and this year is even tighter than last.

We brought in players to make the squad stronger than last to get us through the international window.

My main worry was the impact that our 5m issue is having on confidence. You could see it evaporate as the match went on and I think it gave glos added momentum. I worry that confidence is eroded over time and players start to over think when they get inside the 22.

It's not just this game that I am talking about, think about all the chances we have blown in the last 5m this season. Some of these were covered up by scoring 4 tries but in most of those games we have struggled when the match should have been dead and buried by half time.

We need a win on Sunday to keep up momentum.

Roger G (IP Logged)
20 November, 2017 11:19
WoW - yes I get that, and I think I remember Alex Sanderson referring to the 5m problem in one of his BT sport in-match interviews, so I'm sure the coaches are working on it - we're missing some pretty effective carriers in the forwards right now. Also we've often stuttered a bit during the AI and 6N periods and still made the top four, on all but one occasion reasonably comfortably, and usually come very strong towards the end of the season (last year being an exception of course). As it stands with over 1/3rd of the season gone, and having had some significant injury and international absentees we're sitting 7 points ahead of 5th place, so I see no need to be pessimistic at this point. Mildly concerned with the 5m issue, but not pessimistic due to a narrow loss against a fast-improving Glaws.

beshocked (IP Logged)
20 November, 2017 11:35
Lozowski had an opportunity to put some pressure on Farrell but didn't take the opportunity.

Two things Farrell does very well - control and goalkicking, Lozowski didn't.

If Lozowski wants to be playing for England regularly and making a bigger impact at Saracens he needs to get those two aspects up to speed.

The forwards gave the backs a very nice platform in the first half, Lozowski needed to pull the strings better.

TimH (IP Logged)
20 November, 2017 12:21
Quote:
Saracens23
Don't post often, but this has to be one of the worst saracens games I have ever watched. They have been terrible in possession in the 22. So bad.

Thanks for this - made me laugh - many of us have suffered way, way worse!

JO'G (IP Logged)
20 November, 2017 15:42
I've noticed that 5m defending is now a little better. You often see the critical guy on guard on the way the ball is flowing on his haunches, toes behind the line, leaning forward and held up by one of his teammates. Putting his hands less than a metre from the ball and his vision unblocked to go at the correct time.

When he buries the ball carrier, there is plenty of time for the guard at the next breakdown to be in similar position. What might help is a carry not to make ground, but simply to disrupt the defence, with the ball being available seconds later for another to pick and go. That second player with no pre-set guard has more chance of making the line

Park team from London
Just a park team from London
European Champions
Just European champions

warwick5763 (IP Logged)
21 November, 2017 16:07
Quote:
grunter

Always loved going to Glos but at 100 miles, 2 1/2 hours to get there and the oxford ring road in the way and the M25 , its not going to happen. Friday night games are only going to be local. If they played Saturday I would be there.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net