rugbyunion
Latest News:
New Page 1

Whatever your views on Saracens, whether a Sarries fan or not, leave them here.

To leave a message on this board you must register. To register click HERE, it takes only a minute.
Non-rugby posts are welcome, but please prefix your subject header with "OT" or "Off Topic".

Thought for the Day:
IN SEARCH OF A MIRACLE!

Latest: SARACENS 14 : 46 ASM CLERMONT AUVERGNE
Next ASM CLERMONT AUVERGNE v SARACENS Sun 17th Dec 15.15 (GMT)
ERCC, Stade Marcel Michelin
Audio: Click the link below. If it ain't there, it ain't on!
Upcoming TV: Clermont v Saracens
Sun 17th Dec 2017 BT Sport 2 15.00

BBC Online Rugby Union Commentaries

The Fish | Rugby Union News | Fez Boys | Saracens Fixtures | The SSA

One Question
Sara'sman (IP Logged)
18 November, 2017 18:55
Is it Aussie Wine or Whine?

Cheika two days ago:

“We have made a conscious effort to change the character profile of the players and develop a different approach to the game. We needed to make it a no-excuse culture: we are not happy to be ranked third in the world or to be punching above our weight. It is about doing everything to be the best you can and owning everything, the good and the bad."
Own it then. No-excuse culture.

Re: One Question
Innings (IP Logged)
18 November, 2017 23:01
Don't expect him to be gracious in defeat. His job and reputation depend on it being someone else's fault.

Innings

Points win matches: tries win hearts and minds.

Re: Aus - One Question
Sara'sman (IP Logged)
20 November, 2017 19:04
It seems that Mr Cheika may get an opportunity to discuss the outward signs of his no blame culture with the World Rugby disciplinary officer who is looking into his conduct.

On a more serious note I long for a return to the day when television cameras were less intrusive, questions less provocative. I don't think it right to have repeated close ups of coaches' reactions to every incident, nor do I think it necessary for cameramen to be allowed onto the pitch after a try to circle the scorer, At times they are even guilty of obstructing the officials on the sidelines.

Dissent too needs stamping out - it would help if both Hooper and Beale had found their reactions met with an additional 10 minutes in the bin. And whilst he had a right to speak to the referee as captain (and point out the obstruction), Faz was overly demonstrative for my taste. There is a growing trend of backchat to referees that needs stamping out. First word - 10 yards, any more yellow, supported by all in the game.

JO'G (IP Logged)
21 November, 2017 12:31
Best 10 yard story was a game I played in under the legendary Brian Brennan from Tabard

We gave away a penalty and our second row questioned it - 10 yards. At the end of the walk the ref looked at the second row who could not shut up - another 10 yards

The ref paced them out and looked at the second row again. Enter stage right Brian Brennan who decked the second row; then apologised to the referee.

He then told the second row if he didn't shut up, he would never play for him again.

Park team from London
Just a park team from London
European Champions
Just European champions

Innings (IP Logged)
21 November, 2017 14:11
I don't get the way in which referees fail to protect their position. How about, before the game, make clear: First back-chat = penalty, and both captains told that there can only be escalation from there?

Innings

AP (IP Logged)
22 November, 2017 20:28
Do they need to do that?

Most times, it's enough if the ref just tells the player he's not the captain, so go away.

The captain has good reason to talk to the ref and a good ref will look to calm him down where necessary.

The ref is also aware that the players are working their guts out on the pitch and so are not entirely rational at all times.

Early escalation leads to a farce - you start having to give red cards because the player didn't address you with "Sir, ..."

I'm sure I read on here a story like JO'G's where the offending side got marched right back to their try line ... I'm not sure that the ref won that one.

Successful hills are here to stay
Everything must be this way
Gentle streets where people play
Welcome to the Soft Parade

The Bard (IP Logged)
22 November, 2017 21:57
Reminds me of last season when Wayne Barnes says to Mike Brown 'go away Mike,you're not the captain!'
'I am, actually ' came the reply!

Squawker2 (IP Logged)
23 November, 2017 10:58
Reminds me of a school game where
My mighty third team was getting thumped by the opposition but they still wanted every decision to got their way - about 6 mins before end this ultimately led to a 50m walk down the pitch (leading to 7/10 of our points!)

-----------------------------------------------------

Stuart Barnes is a Cock Womble

Sara'sman (IP Logged)
23 November, 2017 11:07
Quote:
The Bard
Reminds me of last season when Wayne Barnes says to Mike Brown 'go away Mike,you're not the captain!'
'I am, actually ' came the reply!

Would have caused a problem had he been substituted - how would he manage to pass on the armband?

Re: Aus - One Question
warwick5763 (IP Logged)
23 November, 2017 11:46
Quote:
Sara'sman
It seems that Mr Cheika may get an opportunity to discuss the outward signs of his no blame culture with the World Rugby disciplinary officer who is looking into his conduct.
On a more serious note I long for a return to the day when television cameras were less intrusive, questions less provocative. I don't think it right to have repeated close ups of coaches' reactions to every incident, nor do I think it necessary for cameramen to be allowed onto the pitch after a try to circle the scorer, At times they are even guilty of obstructing the officials on the sidelines.

Dissent too needs stamping out - it would help if both Hooper and Beale had found their reactions met with an additional 10 minutes in the bin. And whilst he had a right to speak to the referee as captain (and point out the obstruction), Faz was overly demonstrative for my taste. There is a growing trend of backchat to referees that needs stamping out. First word - 10 yards, any more yellow, supported by all in the game.

I agree with Brian Moore who said we don't want rugby to end up like football where the manager/coach starts ranting at the 4th official. Checks needs to pull his head in. There are always berks in the crowd and he needs not to engage with them.

TonyTaff (IP Logged)
23 November, 2017 18:55
The 10-metre walkback is insufficiently used.

Any 'chops' from a non-captain should result in a penalty, reversal or 10 metres.

If co-captains are appointed, the ref should mandate which one of them is to possess the liaison rights.

It"s not rocket science!

£630.67 (*) donated to the Saracens Foundation due to visits to the Sarries frontpage [www.rugbynetwork.net]

Please read and submit articles for publication. (*) As at October 31, 2016.

Innings (IP Logged)
23 November, 2017 18:56
Or the headmaster, watching a house game that I was watching, who called both captains over and said that on the next argument both teams would be deducted so many match points after the game that they's finish as captains of the teams with the worst-ever results in the inter-houe competition, a record that would be in the school magazine for all to see. It worked: the second half was played in a reluctant, gritted teeth sort of forced sportsmanship.

Innings

TonyTaff (IP Logged)
24 November, 2017 08:08
Tee Hee.

Sportsmanship was noticeably absent from inter-house games when I was a lad. The competition was suspended for two years!

This was the era of '99' on the Lions tour and Rollerball!

£630.67 (*) donated to the Saracens Foundation due to visits to the Sarries frontpage [www.rugbynetwork.net]

TonyTaff (IP Logged)
25 November, 2017 07:49
Tee Hee.

Sportsmanship was noticeably absent from inter-house games when I was a lad. The competition was suspended for two years!

This was the era of '99' on the Lions tour and Rollerball!

tpr's headmistress (IP Logged)
25 November, 2017 09:07
Strange delayed echo there TT.(Sm124)

TonyTaff (IP Logged)
25 November, 2017 12:14
Tbe first one was when I realised I needed to make a tackle.

The second was when I got there!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net