rugbyunion
Latest News:
New Page 1

Whatever your views on Saracens, whether a Sarries fan or not, leave them here.

To leave a message on this board you must register. To register click HERE, it takes only a minute.
Non-rugby posts are welcome, but please prefix your subject header with "OT" or "Off Topic".

Thought for the Day:
IN SEARCH OF A MIRACLE!

Latest: SARACENS 14 : 46 ASM CLERMONT AUVERGNE
Next ASM CLERMONT AUVERGNE v SARACENS Sun 17th Dec 15.15 (GMT)
ERCC, Stade Marcel Michelin
Audio: Click the link below. If it ain't there, it ain't on!
Upcoming TV: Clermont v Saracens
Sun 17th Dec 2017 BT Sport 2 15.00

BBC Online Rugby Union Commentaries

The Fish | Rugby Union News | Fez Boys | Saracens Fixtures | The SSA

England team v Samoa
Seany_Boy0511 (IP Logged)
22 November, 2017 18:36
Be interested to see who plays this weekend,

With Mike Brown back he's guaranteed to start, Will Jamie finally get his chance to start and will we see Loz and Nick Isiekwe playing?? Itoje could start at 6 also Mako, Faz and to come on in the second half?

I'd guess we will be looking to put a big score on Samoa

I'd like to see some more of our younger players given a chance, personally I'd go for a team like

15.Brown c
14.May
13.Slade
12.Lozowski
11.Daly
10.Ford
9. Care
8. Simmonds
7. Robshaw
6. Itoje
5. Eweles
4. Isiekwe
3. Cole
2. George
1. Genge

Replacements
16. Hartley
17. M Vunipola
18. Williams
19. Launchberry
20. Lawes
21. B Youngs
22. Farrell
23. Francis

Re: England team v Samoa
The Bard (IP Logged)
22 November, 2017 22:00
I'd expect Roko on the bench at least in place of Faz or Francis. Also expect Launchbury to start.

JO'G (IP Logged)
23 November, 2017 08:16
they are saying they expect Mako and Fazlet to be rested - which is hopeful for them to start on Sunday

we need all the help we can get

Park team from London
Just a park team from London
European Champions
Just European champions

23 November, 2017 08:43
That will be a massive bonus if Faz and Maro are released to us,

GazzaFez (IP Logged)
23 November, 2017 09:38
All change!!!!!!

England team to play Samoa

15 Mike Brown (Harlequins 63 caps), 14 Jonny May (Leicester Tigers 28 caps), 13 Henry Slade (Exeter Chiefs 9 caps), 12 Alex Lozowski (Saracens 3 caps), 11 Elliot Daly (Wasps 15 caps), 10 George Ford (Leicester Tigers 39 caps) co-captain, 9 Danny Care (Harlequins 75 caps), 1 Ellis Genge (Leicester Tigers 4 caps), 2 Jamie George (Saracens 19 caps), 3 Dan Cole (Leicester Tigers 76 caps), 4 Joe Launchbury (Wasps 46 caps), 5 Charlie Ewels (Bath Rugby 5 caps), 6 Maro Itoje (Saracens 13 caps), 7 Chris Robshaw (Harlequins 58 caps) co-captain, 8 Sam Simmonds (Exeter Chiefs 2 caps).

Finishers

16 Dylan Hartley (Northampton Saints 88 caps), 17 Joe Marler (Harlequins 52 caps), 18 Harry Williams (Exeter Chiefs 4 caps), 19 Nick Isiekwe (Saracens 1 cap), 20 Courtney Lawes (Northampton Saints 60 caps), 21 Ben Youngs (Leicester Tigers 72 caps), 22 Piers Francis (Northampton Saints 2 caps), 23 Semesa Rokoduguni (Bath Rugby 3 caps).

Stacky (IP Logged)
23 November, 2017 09:51
Does that mean that we will get Faz and Mako back for Sunday?

Wayoutwest (IP Logged)
23 November, 2017 09:55
Mako and Faz back!

Worcester must be rubbing their hands together with tigers having 5 in the England playing squad

GazzaFez (IP Logged)
23 November, 2017 10:00
Balance still favors Chiefs though. We lose 2 Lions players and 2 fringe players to this match and they lose 3 fringe players.

beshocked (IP Logged)
23 November, 2017 10:01
Don't Mako and Farrell have to act as waterboys for England?

Pretty sure they aren't released.

Mccall won't be pleased.

SarrieGirl (IP Logged)
23 November, 2017 10:29
Surely if a player is ‘rested’ from International duty due to player welfare & their ‘Lions workload’, then playing for their club would go against all that ?

If they were available for club rugby, wouldn’t they have been released on Tuesday with the rest of the non-selected players to give them some training time with their club ?

Mako & Owen haven’t trained at Saracens for a month !

Sara'sman (IP Logged)
23 November, 2017 10:52
SG - Faz and Mako will be the "travelling reserves" on Saturday - used should someone be injured in the warm up, so not strictly rested. As of Sunday they are back to being their club's employees I believe, so available for selection. To this old man it doesn't seem that long ago when a certain Pests' No 8 played for England on Saturday then Wasps the following day.

Faz has had two weeks off already, I think we'll see him start. Mako more probably on the bench. Whilst you're right regarding the need for rest periods, the club (in liason with Jones) will decide when this will happen. Jones has probably chosen not to select them in part in order to enhance the experience of a wider squad.

Whilst I agree that you're right to highlight their absence from training, I'd suggest that Saracens DNA is so deeply ingrained (in Faz in particular) that they will still be very useful in such a depleted squad.

kakshaks (IP Logged)
23 November, 2017 14:08
For the record - Loz has, IMHO, been handed a real bad deal. Playing alongside Ford is not what a new, young player should have to deal with. We saw how Slade faired 2 weeks ago and now loz is handed the baton.

F-F-F-FEZ (IP Logged)
23 November, 2017 15:06
Quote:
kakshaks
For the record - Loz has, IMHO, been handed a real bad deal. Playing alongside Ford is not what a new, young player should have to deal with. We saw how Slade faired 2 weeks ago and now loz is handed the baton.

I have a feeling that Yoda will be alive to that and will assess Loz accordingly. If I was Faz I'd drop the water bottles at every opportunity!

Parcdeprince (IP Logged)
23 November, 2017 15:28
Quote:
kakshaks

Don't understand this comment at all!
Are you saying Ford is rubbish and it's unfair to put a youngster outside him?
Or alternatively is the suggestion that Ford is on another planet in terms of vision and ability and it's too much to ask any inexperienced player to see and outside him?

Either way I think you're very wrong, lots of people seem to do pretty well playing 12 to Ford, has a habit of creating opportunities for those outside him.
For the Argentina game two weeks ago suggest the problems were collective, but accented on our back row -still an area which needs sorting. Seem to recall things went pretty well for the summer tour games though!

Roger G (IP Logged)
23 November, 2017 15:51
IMHO Ford's not so good when his pack isn't doing so well....so Loz should be OK at the weekend.

primavesi (IP Logged)
23 November, 2017 16:36
Quote:
kakshaks

Owen started his international career playing outside Ford at U20 rugby and it didnt seem to do him any harm.

Ford is a top class 10 with excellent distribution, i´d imagine any center would be happy playing outside him. The fact that slade had an off day could be more down to him being played out of position.

TonyTaff (IP Logged)
23 November, 2017 18:07
Yoda has certainly done us no favours by keeping our two lads back - they should have been released on Tuesday.

Not allowing either of our two fly-halves to train with the squad is hardly being sympathetic to their club!

I hope Slade goes well in his chosen position of 13, at Twickers. (This midfield trio started the first test in Argentina, but Slade has yet to impress at home).

£630.67 (*) donated to the Saracens Foundation due to visits to the Sarries frontpage [www.rugbynetwork.net]

Please read and submit articles for publication. (*) As at October 31, 2016.

23 November, 2017 18:28
Ford seems to have found his Mojo again, maybe that's because he's back at Tigers, I think Loz is more than capable of playing well with any world class fly half outside of him, hope Loz and if Nick gets on go well (we know Jamie and Maro will) I'm hopeful for a big English win this weekend

The Bard (IP Logged)
23 November, 2017 19:46
Quote:
SarrieGirl
Surely if a player is ‘rested’ from International duty due to player welfare & their ‘Lions workload’, then playing for their club would go against all that ?
If they were available for club rugby, wouldn’t they have been released on Tuesday with the rest of the non-selected players to give them some training time with their club ?

Mako & Owen haven’t trained at Saracens for a month !

I can imagine a deal that says we'll play him on Sunday but rest him for the Worcester game on a few weeks

SarrieGirl (IP Logged)
23 November, 2017 20:59
I'd certainly take that ! We've got a very tough run between now & that Worcester game - need our strongest side out there in every game in my opinion !

AP (IP Logged)
23 November, 2017 22:16
Quote:
primavesi
Quote:
kakshaks

Owen started his international career playing outside Ford at U20 rugby and it didnt seem to do him any harm.

Ford is a top class 10 with excellent distribution, i´d imagine any center would be happy playing outside him. The fact that slade had an off day could be more down to him being played out of position.

Ford and Farrell were playing together long before that. Ford seems to play well with Farrell - could it be that not having the kicking duties takes some pressure off him?

I'm glad that different combinations are being tried, but I wish Watson had been given another start at 15 particularly given Mike Brown's concussion history.

OldMarovian (IP Logged)
24 November, 2017 07:58
Shame to see that Jones is making statements about Hartleys captaincy going through to the 6 Nations basically showing the start for Jamies is a sham in terms of him being given a chance to fight for the start.

primavesi (IP Logged)
24 November, 2017 09:56
Quote:
OldMarovian
Shame to see that Jones is making statements about Hartleys captaincy going through to the 6 Nations basically showing the start for Jamies is a sham in terms of him being given a chance to fight for the start.

Its been working pretty well bringing Jamie off the bench, he always seems to always make a big impact. I don´t see a problem with Jones sticking to a winning formula.

BarnetSarrie (IP Logged)
24 November, 2017 13:15
It isn't much good if you are Jamie though, is it? What exactly does he have to do to start in a meaningful game? If you compare the stats for the two he is better than Mr Hartley in virtually every department. Including leadership and temperament. And I say that as someone who has heard Jamie mentioned as a future Captain of Saracens for many many years now. If Eddie is trying to demoralise Jamie he is doing a first rate job. He's good at demoralising people and causing us to lose superb players. First Stretts, then Ashy. I just hope the same isnt going to be true of Goodey but honestly you wouldnt and couldnt blame him if some French club offered him the bucketful of Euros. As for Mike Brown - well, honestly..... I keep hoping at some point we will see evidence of why he justifies that place. I've been waiting for a long long time now. Maybe this week? One can dare to dream.....

primavesi (IP Logged)
24 November, 2017 15:38
His job is not to keep Saracens players happy, it is to win matches for England and he is doing that.

Why do you think Jamie would be unhappy? Jones has gone out of his way to emphasise that the last 20 minutes are as important as the first 60, if not more, and that being a "finisher" is no less important than starting. I hope, and am sure, that Jamie is a team player and is delighted at winning so many games for England and playing such an important part. Of course he would probably like to start but i´d hardly say he is likely to be demoralised. If he has a world cup winners medal around his neck in 2 years time then he certainly wont be complaining.

Until England start losing games, I don´t see any reason for Jones to change the line up he has in his mind for the world cup.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net