rugbyunion
Latest News:
New Page 1

Whatever your views on Saracens, whether a Sarries fan or not, leave them here.

To leave a message on this board you must register. To register click HERE, it takes only a minute.
Non-rugby posts are welcome, but please prefix your subject header with "OT" or "Off Topic".

Thought for the Day:
IN SEARCH OF A MIRACLE!

Latest: SARACENS 14 : 46 ASM CLERMONT AUVERGNE
Next ASM CLERMONT AUVERGNE v SARACENS Sun 17th Dec 15.15 (GMT)
ERCC, Stade Marcel Michelin
Audio: Click the link below. If it ain't there, it ain't on!
Upcoming TV: Clermont v Saracens
Sun 17th Dec 2017 BT Sport 2 15.00

BBC Online Rugby Union Commentaries

The Fish | Rugby Union News | Fez Boys | Saracens Fixtures | The SSA

Well done chiefs
Seany_Boy0511 (IP Logged)
26 November, 2017 16:35
That second half was brilliant by chiefs

But.... That's disappointing

We had control in the first half lost Brits and didn't look the same in the second half

We need to batter Quins next week to get out of this losing streak at least we got a LBP

Re: Well done chiefs
ninjafez (IP Logged)
26 November, 2017 16:40
Indeed congrats to the cheifs

Why the hell we were boxkicking in the last five minutes I have no idea

Ninjafez - supporting Sarries and cleaning their signs since 2006!

Sarriebone (IP Logged)
26 November, 2017 16:43
Well done Chiefs.

We never really looked like scoring in the second half at all

samgibbo (IP Logged)
26 November, 2017 16:44
Fair play to chiefs but we were garbage in the second half.
Complete naivety in the final min. Why try and run from the half way line for the first time in the half? Stuff it up your jumper, pick and drive to try and win a penalty. Havenít felt this frustrated after a game in a long time. And donít even get me started on the scheduling of this fixture.....

Dalton86Fez (IP Logged)
26 November, 2017 17:20
Indeed well done chiefs but we did make their job a lot easier. Kicking away possession at every opportunity in the second half made the job a lot harder. Giving away the ball and inviting pressure inevitably lead to Chiefs scoring and taking the lead. Will still be going to the away fixture in March. Even though we are likely to be without a host of our best a brightest due to the 6 nations. The scheduling hasnít been the best! Just as long as we are in the mix a the end of the season!

vunipolae (IP Logged)
26 November, 2017 17:34
Not a pretty game, could've gone either way but can't say Chiefs didn't deserve it. Alex Goode was sublime again and we only ever looked dangerous when he had the ball. Tolafua on the other hand is a real concern, only hitting 75% despite targeting the front every time effectively removes our lineout as a weapon and let's other teams know that kicking the ball out creates a turnover opportunity.

Westrock (IP Logged)
26 November, 2017 18:12
Agree with above far to much kicking away possession second half allowing Exeter to run it back and usually winning the territory battle.

#wolfpack (IP Logged)
26 November, 2017 18:17
Pretty good effort really. Thought Big Will and Spenno were excellent. You just canít defend for 60 odd minutes and expect to win.

Have to say, not sure Chiefs are that good a side, but they do their basics excellently. Our basics by comparison are a bit shaky- Tolofuas line out is poor and our scrum gets pushed around a lot these days.

Expect the A team to play next week to stop the rot.

JO'G (IP Logged)
26 November, 2017 18:41
After the game today the only train home is to Exeter someone taking the @#$%&

Park team from London
Just a park team from London
European Champions
Just European champions

lechef (IP Logged)
26 November, 2017 19:23
Well done Chiefs, you wanted the win more than we did.

Roll on next week when we have our internationals back.

Any word on Brits

GerryK (IP Logged)
26 November, 2017 20:01
Cant say we should be to surprised at the result when you consider how many of our first team options are missing, : Maro/Jamie/Owen/Liam/Sean/Mako/Alex/Billy V/M Rhodes.

I cannot wait until we see a full line up once more, much as I love watching the internationals-they do somewhat disrupt our performances in the premiership

OldMarovian (IP Logged)
26 November, 2017 20:54
Quote:
ninjafez
Why the hell we were boxkicking in the last five FORTY minutes I have no idea

Corrected winking smiley

Frustrating game. Well done Chiefs but that was a dumb (sorry) game-plan for that opposition. Would have expected better from McCall & Co.

The Bard (IP Logged)
26 November, 2017 21:06
Certainly don't think Chiefs wanted it more than us,our defence was bordering on heroic at times today. Jackson Wray, Burger and Goodey excellent and Nathan Earle decent too.
What bothered me was the scrum struggling against against a team who aren't renowned for it, and the second half kicking.
You might argue that the one time we carried it back we got penalise, but it was the worst I've seen us use the kicking game in years.
I just hope this fourth consecutive lost lead doesn't drain the confidence, as the fixtures get even harder!

VR1997 (IP Logged)
26 November, 2017 21:20
As usual we have the 'Lets have a go at one of our players brigade'.
Today it is Christopher Tolofua.

One line out not straight, remaining 3 good accuracy.That's a real concern.(Sm161)

Also Exeter didn't kick any of those lineouts into touch didn't see any chance of a turnover opportunity.

Still if you don't like a player he's not going to do anything right, but he's one of ours
so support him.

We lost to a better team in the end, well organised and persistent with power.

Lets get our world class/International players back and smash Europe and hopefully be in a position to win the Premiership even though to me it is devalued by playing matches during Internationals and any team winning the Premiership then has to try and win it again through the playoffs. Amateurish.

flavman 35 (IP Logged)
26 November, 2017 21:35
That 2nd half game plan was shocking. As said would expect better from our back room.bben was having a good game shouldn't have taken him off.
What was max Malone doing out there? Poor bloke just stood there for the 2nd half never got a pass from woggy.
Really disappointed with wiggy.
Will really looked like he has made big steps forward.
Brad and Jackson never let us down.

fatheralice (IP Logged)
26 November, 2017 21:49
The loss of Brits really hurt you. Hope he is OK - 2 blows to the kidney area looked nasty. He really is such an amazing player, Sarries are so much more of a threat with him on pitch to spark something.

Sarries noticeably tiring in the second half. Chiefs bench was stronger, and I think that told in the end.

Some heroic defence. Both sides will know about it in the morning

FezOnaBike (IP Logged)
27 November, 2017 10:49
Agree with all of the above, the second half was poor, and not great for the Blood
Pressure. As mentioned above you cannot kick away possession from the half way line and
expect to win points, and with with ninety seconds left on the clock, think 'I know
I'll run with ball'

C'mon boys, there can be no more excuses. We need to make a statement v's Quins,
traditionally not an easy fixture. See rule No.5 and apply it please, especially in
the second half!

Keepers of the Cog - Follow the rules!

daz_71 (IP Logged)
27 November, 2017 11:06
100% agree with the comments below. Regarding Chris Tolufua the coaches knew he had a weakness with his lineout throwing hence why he was signed as a 3rd choice hooker for this season with the aim of our coaches working with him to have him ready to step up next year when Brits has retired. If you actually watch his throwing yesterday he has already made massive steps from earlier in the season. Give the guy some time.

And in terms of the criticism of the constant kicking I didn't see anything different from our game plan yesterday than our normal game plan - i.e.if we are still in our half after 2 phases the ball gets kicked - same gameplan we have had for 5 years.

The difference between the 2 sides yesterday was we had 8/9 influential players unavailable (including 2 who were nominated for world player of the year). Exeter were not as disrupted. Even with all the disruption we lost by 2 points to the champions. Not quite sure it's time to panic everyone! Maybe our support has got far to use to the recent success that we now need to 'slag' off our own players and coaches after one home defeat. We seem to be turning in to football supporters!

Quote:
VR1997
As usual we have the 'Lets have a go at one of our players brigade'.
Today it is Christopher Tolofua.

One line out not straight, remaining 3 good accuracy.That's a real concern.(Sm161)

Also Exeter didn't kick any of those lineouts into touch didn't see any chance of a turnover opportunity.

Still if you don't like a player he's not going to do anything right, but he's one of ours
so support him.

We lost to a better team in the end, well organised and persistent with power.

Lets get our world class/International players back and smash Europe and hopefully be in a position to win the Premiership even though to me it is devalued by playing matches during Internationals and any team winning the Premiership then has to try and win it again through the playoffs. Amateurish.

Pimpernel44 (IP Logged)
27 November, 2017 11:36
Some terrible decision-making. We must've thrown away 9 or 12 points in the first half by sending perfectly kickable pens into the corners instead of between the posts - and then we kick one from half-way?!?!? OK, so Bish Bash landed it with about half-a-mile to spare but where's the logic? It's not as if Spenny is a dodgy goal kicker: quite the opposite in fact. And if you want to warn the oppo not to give pens away anywhere up to your own ten-metre line, do it early and not just before you remove your Howitzer from the field!

Just about the worst half I've ever seen Wiggy play.

Still, it's not the end of the world in the context of the season, I'm more concerned about Schalla. Was on crutches at the end.

Pimpernel44 (IP Logged)
27 November, 2017 11:39
Quote:
daz_71
And in terms of the criticism of the constant kicking I didn't see anything different from our game plan yesterday than our normal game plan - i.e.if we are still in our half after 2 phases the ball gets kicked - same gameplan we have had for 5 years.

Yes but usually we execute it rather better so we're not doing the same thing all over again 30 seconds later!

David@Sarries (IP Logged)
27 November, 2017 12:18
We lost Brits yesterday and lost; Glos targeted Brits last week and we lost. Is there a pattern?

Baxter out-coached Mark yesterday; his half-time advice and guidance completely changed the game and this is the second week where we won the first half only to lose the second and the game. The Quins game reallyiq a must-win now.

Essex-Sarrie (IP Logged)
27 November, 2017 12:34
The second half we seemed to change our game plan and I can't work out what the reason was.

Only scoring 3 points in the second half is pretty poor. Given the squad Exe have and the number we had absent it wasn't a disappointment on the result more the way in which we brought it on ourselves from a strong position at the break.

My word doesn't Tempest have a knack for making scrum time a horrific bore and slowing the game down wherever possible.

GazzaFez (IP Logged)
27 November, 2017 13:19
Quote:
Pimpernel44
Some terrible decision-making. We must've thrown away 9 or 12 points in the first half by sending perfectly kickable pens into the corners instead of between the posts - and then we kick one from half-way?!?!? OK, so Bish Bash landed it with about half-a-mile to spare but where's the logic? It's not as if Spenny is a dodgy goal kicker: quite the opposite in fact. And if you want to warn the oppo not to give pens away anywhere up to your own ten-metre line, do it early and not just before you remove your Howitzer from the field!
Just about the worst half I've ever seen Wiggy play.

Still, it's not the end of the world in the context of the season, I'm more concerned about Schalla. Was on crutches at the end.

Agree with all of that. Tactically we were very naive. I mean it's not like we were playing the domestic champions with 10 or 11 of our first choice players missing or anything was it? Golden opportunity to chase a TBP when playing such poor opposition in the circumstances.

Why was Spenno subbed so early when he was playing very well, not to mention being our kicker on the day? Not sure if it was coincidental, but it went pear-shaped at about the time Wiggy came on.

Strongest possible team required for next week and Spenno to start again.

Roger G (IP Logged)
27 November, 2017 13:37
Quote:
Essex-Sarrie
The second half we seemed to change our game plan and I can't work out what the reason was.
Only scoring 3 points in the second half is pretty poor. Given the squad Exe have and the number we had absent it wasn't a disappointment on the result more the way in which we brought it on ourselves from a strong position at the break.

My word doesn't Tempest have a knack for making scrum time a horrific bore and slowing the game down wherever possible.

Just out of interest Essex, do you have the ref link thingy. If not I recommend it - I used to be sceptical of Tempest but, having listened to the intelligent way he interacted with both captains, and other team members, I've got a new-found respect for him.

BarnetSarrie (IP Logged)
27 November, 2017 14:04
Agree with most of the above - its hard not to.
My additional worry is that we did much the same against Glaws - I came away from that match shouting that 'its all about possession' and it was the same in the last third of the game yet again yesterday. I was SCREAMING at Wiggy to stop kicking the ball upfield and just handing possession back to them so they could attack - it wasnt even as if they were doing so from deep, because we were having to play so much in our third of the pitch. Our forwards busted their guts winning the ball back - and then he just booted it straight back and gave them the job of having to do so all over again. Of course they were tiring! Anyone would! We just hadnt learnt the lessons of the last game, had we?
If that was something Wiggy had been told to do by the coaching staff, then they really made a massive error yesterday. Much more sensible in the first half when they were kicking to touch and at least allowing the lineout and a more controlled, settled competition. Maybe it was because of Chris' dodgy throwing, but I actually think he has improved quite a bit the last few times Ive seen him - and I think it wont be long before he has ironed out those problems. I am actually impressed with him otherwise.
As for Max - I am full of praise for how he coped with this baptism of fire. I was very very impressed with him. Goodey was superb. Nathan very brave and determined - Jackos work rate was astonishing.

So - many congratulations the the Chiefs (Sm152)- they absolutely deserved to win that. They played smart - and we were really stupid tactically when Ben went off. You dont say that about Saracens often these days - but we simply didnt adapt. Normally we do. I suppose I should be encouraged that it wasnt a cricket score, bearing in mind the extra pressure there has been on the squad with so many absentees in the last few weeks - but after the first half performance (plus a bit of the second half), which was so encouraging and admirable, considering, I was even more disappointed that we lost.

On the other main question - I really really hope that isnt the last time we see the wonderful Mr Brits playing for us. Noises off suggest it is really not great. I wish him a speedy recovery and hope he isnt feeling too sore, though I suspect there's little chance of that. Just to remind everyone on these boards that his Testimonial Dinner is on Wednesday 21st March at the Brewery. The theme is 'The boy that never grew up' -him being the Peter Pan of rugby, of course. It will an evening you wont quickly forget - hosted by Flats and with quite a few surprises and players from many clubs, not just Sarries! The SSA are also hosting a Testimonial Event for him for their members, which I am sure they will be publicising pretty soon ....

You can buy up to 5 individual seats on shared tables at the Brewery - or there are various prices for tables of 10 for those booking more. If you want more details, do feel free to PM me -

BS

Essex-Sarrie (IP Logged)
27 November, 2017 14:34
Quote:
Roger G
Quote:
Essex-Sarrie

Just out of interest Essex, do you have the ref link thingy. If not I recommend it - I used to be sceptical of Tempest but, having listened to the intelligent way he interacted with both captains, and other team members, I've got a new-found respect for him.

No I don't have a ref link but I should get one.

I don't have a problem with his decision making and I'm sure we contribute to the pace of the restart but sometimes I feel like he allows too much time between resetting scrums which slows the spectacle of the match.

boomer! (IP Logged)
27 November, 2017 15:36
Kicking the ball to the opposition hoping they will make a mistake in their half is a tactic that has served us very well in the past BUT not when the opposition gathers the ball on the halfway line.

Saracens allowed Chiefs to have possession and play in our half for 40mins and the only surprise is we lose by only 2 points.

I'd like to think we could get revenge down at Exeter but given that Aviva fixture is on 3rd March and is straddled by Scotland vs England on 24th Feb and France vs England on 10th March, then we are likely to not be at full strength for that Sandy Park fixture either.

Roger G (IP Logged)
27 November, 2017 15:37
Quote:
Essex-Sarrie

No I don't have a ref link but I should get one.

I don't have a problem with his decision making and I'm sure we contribute to the pace of the restart but sometimes I feel like he allows too much time between resetting scrums which slows the spectacle of the match.

I definitely recommend ref-link then. Tempest called time off a number of times at scrum time and, on one occasion late in the match when Chiefs were ahead and dawdling about getting their front row in place, he actually said to them that there'd be no time wasting and promptly stopped the clock until the scrum was ready to go again.

Chiefs (IP Logged)
27 November, 2017 18:42
Chief in peace.

Any news on Schalk Brits injury guys.

Pimpernel44 (IP Logged)
27 November, 2017 20:33
Quote:
Chiefs
Chief in peace.
Any news on Schalk Brits injury guys.

'Fraid not, but your concern is appreciated. Poor beggar's last season too, really hope that isn't it for him now.

OldMarovian (IP Logged)
27 November, 2017 21:52
Quote:
daz_71
Regarding Chris Tolufua the coaches knew he had a weakness with his lineout throwing hence why he was signed as a 3rd choice hooker for this season with the aim of our coaches working with him to have him ready to step up next year when Brits has retired. If you actually watch his throwing yesterday he has already made massive steps from earlier in the season. Give the guy some time.

+1
This is how you get to afford to buy quality young players. You get them at a stage where there are still kinks in their game that need to be ironed out. I remember watching the lineout drill before the Sale game and they basically stopped it after a couple of overthrows but already in this short time he is showing improvements and will benefit further from playing with and learning from Brits and George.

Axe Chief (IP Logged)
27 November, 2017 22:56
I'd just like to make 3 points from my Chiefs perspective.

1. There'll be plenty of Rugby supporters who echo the thoughts about Schalk Brits. He is your most inspirational player, plays the game in the right manner and is an important part of Sarries more attacking style?
2. Sarries probably lost out more by unavailable players, but not by much. Chiefs only had 4 [fit] Internationals missing, BUT 6 injured ones as well. What is perhaps more relevant is the comparative squad strengths. Sarries have always had [and still have?] an enviable squad and Academy, but The Chiefs over their 7 years in the AP have noticeably built their own, which is arguably as good , if not equal or better than Sarries.
3. I felt McCall made a big mistake using Max Malins for THIS game. I'm a big fan of young Max, but why not use Goode at 10? He was wasted at 15. You had plenty of alternatives there, and Malins was noticeably sidelined in the 2nd half, so that made for a limited game management.

Wayoutwest (IP Logged)
28 November, 2017 08:53
Axe,
I can't agree more. The Chiefs academy should be applauded. I think it is where we were about 5 or 6 years ago. You have a generation that has come through and through good coaching you have filled the holes in your team.

I also agree that putting Max into that game was a mistake in the short term. We didn't have a game plan that relived the pressure and turn the waves of Exeter shirts in the second half. However the lad needs big game experience and as we have found the faster you accelerate real talent the better the player becomes.

Lets see where this ends up at the end of the season....

Seany_Boy0511 (IP Logged)
28 November, 2017 11:11
Max didn't play badly, one poor kick from him That went a little be short when clearing his lines, otherwise I thought he did well for his debut, I believe that in the context of the game McCall wanted his best full back at full back rather than at for half and I agree that was probably the right call, Max will only improve and now he's actually got some experience playing with the first team against the current Champions one hell of a task for him, and a brilliant memory,he will get better, I hope he features again this season in the Premiership for us at some point he is ready to step up now,

Although we lost 4 in a row I would not want to be Quins next week because Saracens are going to come put flying and it should be a full strength team (Barring Injuries) if Tolofua isn't quite ready why not put Spurling on the bench v Quins??

I know it's early on to predict a team but I'd hope it will be something like

1. M Vunipola
2. George
3. Koch
4. Itoje
5. Kruis
6. Clark
7. Burger
8. Wray
9. Spencer
10.Farrell
11.Maitland
12.Barritt
13.Bosch
14.Wyles
15.Goode

Replacements
16.Spurling
17.Barrington
18.Figallo
19.Isiekwe
20.Conlon
21.Wigglesworth
22.Lozowski
23.Earle/Tompkins

Graeme D (IP Logged)
28 November, 2017 12:51
Very similar to my team . Would have HTS ahead of Baz. Thought he was very good when he came on at the weekend especially around the field.

Graeme

Gryff (IP Logged)
28 November, 2017 14:22
if you think Tolofua has throwing problems Spurling has been very bad in recent games don't want to see him anywhere near the team at moment

VR1997 (IP Logged)
28 November, 2017 15:38
Liam Williams if fit. Tolofua, Will Skelton,Chris wyles and Baz if fit all on the bench.

We must put out the squad this week that's going to play against Clermont (home & away) to get some rhythm and structure in our play. Only S.B to change that if he makes a recovery during the next 3 weeks.

GazzaFez (IP Logged)
28 November, 2017 20:49
Any word on Liam Williams? I had hoped he would be fit for this coming weekend.
He hasn't played much in the last few weeks either.

For me as above except....

4. Skelton
6. Itoje
16. Tolofua for Spurling
20. Clark for Conlon

Wayoutwest (IP Logged)
29 November, 2017 08:50
I would have wiggy on from the start and when the gaps start appearing then bring Spenno's strike running on.

Adey (IP Logged)
30 November, 2017 12:06
Iíd have Iseiwke on from the start instead of Kruis. Donít think George is at his best currently.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net