rugbyunion
Latest News:
New Page 1

Whatever your views on Saracens, whether a Sarries fan or not, leave them here.

To leave a message on this board you must register. To register click HERE, it takes only a minute.
Non-rugby posts are welcome, but please prefix your subject header with "OT" or "Off Topic".

Thought for the Day:
CHAMPIONS AGAIN!

Latest: EXETER CHIEFS 10:27 SARACENS (Aviva Premiership Final)
Audio: Click the link below. If it ain' there, it ain't on!
Upcoming TV:

BBC Online Rugby Union Commentaries

The Fish | Rugby Union News | Fez Boys | Saracens Fixtures | The SSA

New winger (or an old one)!?
McSaracens (IP Logged)
18 December, 2017 11:34
According to Tim Cocker of BT sport Alex Lewington to Sarries is a done deal for next season. Suggestions of Wyles being out of contract and Earle potentially to Quins. Saying that I would expect Ellery to seek pastures new at the end of the year so possibly Wyles staying on?

“I believe it might have been said before, but there is something special happening at Saracens, and I want to be part of it.” - Nils Mordt

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 14/01/2018 08:17 by McSaracens.

Re: New winger?
chris87 (IP Logged)
18 December, 2017 11:37
Chris did a interview at the start of the season (i found it on a random YouTube channel) in which he said he was going to decide in December if he is going to retire.

ultrasarrie (IP Logged)
18 December, 2017 15:22
Still think Chris can offer us so much. He's so consistent, virtually never makes a mistake and is an impressive finisher. Him and Liam Williams would be my first choice wingers, so it would be sad to see him retire at the end of the year.

On the subject of wingers, I've been disappointed with Maitland over the last few weeks. Granted, nobody in the team has been great, however he seems to be vulnerable under the high ball, weak defensively, and lacks the raw pace of someone like Earle.

The Bard (IP Logged)
18 December, 2017 16:18
His latest injury certainly seems to have slowed him up, and he does seem to pick up more than his share of injuries. But he’s a great finisher so hopefully he will get his mojo back. Really hope Earle isn’t off, he just has that look of a thoroughbred sprinter!
Wyles has been fantastic, but a back line with him, Cello, Brad and Wiggy is struggling for pace

OldMarovian (IP Logged)
18 December, 2017 18:39
At the right price Lewington would be an excellent addition to the squad but I'd not want to see him at the expense of Earle (although I appreciate that's not the likely swap)

Speaking of which like ultrasarrie I have expected more from Maitland and despite Earle making the odd mistake, I would still start him over Maitland based on recent form.

If Wyles extends that would be good and he's been excellent for the club but I'd guess he's getting to the age where he will be cover rather than a starter?

Liam Williams at fullback is a call which could be a game-changer for me although I am not expecting to see that anytime soon.

Hugo.LI (IP Logged)
18 December, 2017 18:48
Lewi has been brilliant for us over the past 4 years or so. Really deserves his shot at a big Club like you guys. Fantastic with ball in hand and is a great finisher. We'll take earle off your hands if he's available.... winking smiley

olw131 (IP Logged)
18 December, 2017 19:35
What Hugo said. He's our best player and deserves better.

Wouldn't be surprised if England started knocking on his door if he does move to you guys; he played for the Saxons v SA but did his knee in 20 mins in so didn't really get a chance.

And yes - I and other Irish supporters were largely disappointed with Maitland too...

Waldo (IP Logged)
19 December, 2017 06:25
I think in the last few games both Wyles and Maitland were a bit off the boil - although they are not alone there ! Maitland has perhaps come back from Injury too early ?

I would have started Earle - but then again I'm not the coach !

RustySword (IP Logged)
19 December, 2017 18:35
Maity started brilliantly for us, so the talent is to indubitably there. He is far from alone in being a bit below par lately.

Seany_Boy0511 (IP Logged)
20 December, 2017 09:31
Ellery to move on probably.. Wyles to retire likely. If he doesn't retire I can see wyles becoming a bit like de Kock did and becoming a bit part player to tie us over during international periods for instance.

I'd happily take Lewington, but definitely not at the expense of Nathan Earle... His time is definitely now

GazzaFez (IP Logged)
20 December, 2017 12:05
Lewington always reminds me of Shorty (James Short now with Chiefs) with a very similar style.
His departure was one I never thought was good for Saracens, although possibly worked out well for him in the end.

Highbury Saracen (IP Logged)
22 December, 2017 11:53
Regarding another player we were linked with CJ Stander has signed a three year deal with IRFU!!
The rugby paper must get a nice little payout from all players agents when print these rumours smiling smiley

European champions 2016 & 2017

ultrasarrie (IP Logged)
24 December, 2017 12:44
Heard that Earle was definitely considering leaving earlier this season and may have signed for Quins. Really hope this is not true, but could explain why Maitland is starting over him today.

1876-Fez (IP Logged)
03 January, 2018 14:32
Hmmm Andy Goode stating on Rugby Pod that deal fallen through for Lewington...

SUPPORT Help for Heroes:
Help for Heroes

RossM (IP Logged)
03 January, 2018 14:59
Hmmm Andy Goode stating on Rugby Pod that deal fallen through for Lewington...

Wasps fan here. I have also heard from another source that Lewington is not now going to Sarries. Should Josh Bassett leave (as is rumoured) then I would not be disappointed if he came to Coventry.
Always held him in high regard.

Seany_Boy0511 (IP Logged)
03 January, 2018 15:12
That's a shame but if that news means we have kept Nathan Earle then no biggy really,

David@Sarries (IP Logged)
04 January, 2018 21:23
Quote:
RossM
... Should Josh Bassett leave (as is rumoured) ....

Bassett is a really good player; where’s he rumoured to be going?

RossM (IP Logged)
04 January, 2018 22:08
I'm not sure if a destination for Josh has been hinted. Possibly he has been slighted by Elliot Daly's return to the wing. Josh was then benched.

ukms (IP Logged)
04 January, 2018 22:42
Quote:
David@Sarries
Quote:
RossM
... Should Josh Bassett leave (as is rumoured) ....

Bassett is a really good player; where’s he rumoured to be going?

Rumoured to be heading to Saints as a replacement for North !

Adey (IP Logged)
07 January, 2018 16:15
Quote:
Seany_Boy0511
Ellery to move on probably.. Wyles to retire likely. If he doesn't retire I can see wyles becoming a bit like de Kock did and becoming a bit part player to tie us over during international periods for instance.
I'd happily take Lewington, but definitely not at the expense of Nathan Earle... His time is definitely now

What makes you so keen to keep Earle? He really seems to be struggling at Premiership level.

Roger G (IP Logged)
07 January, 2018 17:04
Quote:
Adey
What makes you so keen to keep Earle? He really seems to be struggling at Premiership level.

If that's your opinion I respect it, but don't agree with it. He's not a star performer yet, but his track record as a youngster, and in his stint down under, mark him out as having huge potential and the Sarries are pretty good at releasing that potential in most cases. I think he shows flashes of what he's capable of and would agree that he needs to show it more often, but I wouldn't write him off just yet.

Eric Browett (IP Logged)
07 January, 2018 17:17
I think Earle will be an important player for us if he stays. I also like to see us keeping our academy players if they are of the required quality.

TonyTaff (IP Logged)
07 January, 2018 18:24
I defer to the coaches, most of the time, in any case.

With wingers, it's particularly difficult to divine talent from the stands. The extent of opportunities that a winger gets is determined by loads of stuff that he can't control.

Nathan looked good in NZ, but he wasn't conspicuously productive.

I imagine that SuperKev will make the right call.

£676.97 (*) donated to the Saracens Foundation due to visits to the Sarries frontpage [www.rugbynetwork.net]

Please read and submit articles for publication. (*) As at October 31, 2017.

Rolls (IP Logged)
08 January, 2018 22:05
Alex Cuthbert leaving Blues at the end of the season when his contract expires. No club mentioned. BBC sport post. Mm......

AP (IP Logged)
09 January, 2018 04:39
He won't want to leave Wales as he's 27 and on 47 caps, but if he has to, then Gloucester might be interested.

Successful hills are here to stay
Everything must be this way
Gentle streets where people play
Welcome to the Soft Parade

TonyTaff (IP Logged)
09 January, 2018 11:35
Quote:
AP
He won't want to leave Wales as he's 27 and on 47 caps, but if he has to, then Gloucester might be interested.

That's about 48 caps too many!

£676.97 (*) donated to the Saracens Foundation due to visits to the Sarries frontpage [www.rugbynetwork.net]

Please read and submit articles for publication. (*) As at October 31, 2017.

paulglynn (IP Logged)
13 January, 2018 23:22
Just seen the headline in the rugby paper that strettle is on his way back to us

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 13/01/2018 23:25 by paulglynn.

The Bard (IP Logged)
14 January, 2018 00:36
Sounds a very surprising move, as much as I loved stretts when he was with us before

Re: New winger (or an old one)!?
tpr's headmistress (IP Logged)
14 January, 2018 08:58
I read something a couple of weeks ago which seemed to suggest he was going to Bristol.

Found the article

Bristol swoop for Clermont Duo

Re: New winger (or an old one)!?
OldMarovian (IP Logged)
14 January, 2018 09:28
Hopefully just Agents chat. That said we do need to recruit on the wings.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net