rugbyunion
Latest News:
New Page 1

Whatever your views on Saracens, whether a Sarries fan or not, leave them here.

To leave a message on this board you must register. To register click HERE, it takes only a minute.
Non-rugby posts are welcome, but please prefix your subject header with "OT" or "Off Topic".

Thought for the Day:
CHAMPIONS AGAIN!

Latest: EXETER CHIEFS 10:27 SARACENS (Aviva Premiership Final)
Audio: Click the link below. If it ain' there, it ain't on!
Upcoming TV:

BBC Online Rugby Union Commentaries

The Fish | Rugby Union News | Fez Boys | Saracens Fixtures | The SSA

Am I not worthy of Saracens?!
SARFC (IP Logged)
20 December, 2017 14:23
Having read some of the recent comments on various threads in the past couple of weeks (mostly about recent performances) I have been dismayed with some attitudes displayed.
I only properly came into rugby supporting when Saracens moved to Watford but it would seem by some posts that there is an us and them attitude towards people who supported Saracens pre & because of Watford, am I less of a supporter because my supporting history is no more than 10 years?!
Also would someone please explain to me these idiotic comments regarding football, I am proud to say I supporter of both sports but it annoys me so when people feel the need to describe something negative around rugby as 'just like football' or 'idiot football fans' etc etc etc
I realise that forums are exactly that but it is a side of some rugby fans that I just don't understand, is it really necessary?
So I am football & Rugby loving fan of just about 10 years, I will always be Saracens at heart and support the team but when I hear such negativity it does make my question and think am I excepted as a fan?!

Re: Am I not worthy of Saracens?!
1876-Fez (IP Logged)
20 December, 2017 14:38
To me and many others you are...
Doesn't bother me if you have been supporting Saracens since yesterday or 1876.
You will always have supporters ... in ANY sport... who like to bang on about being a "real fan" whatever that is and how newbies dont understand the club.

I understand why people are rightly proud of how long they have been a supporter and so they should be.. ...nothing wrong with that.

As for the football thing... most of the Saracens team are avid football fans (just look at their Twitter) so the silly remarks made by some should just be ignored.

SUPPORT Help for Heroes:
Help for Heroes

mrangry (IP Logged)
20 December, 2017 15:38
Personally I have been supporting Sarries for 30 years and was delighted when, moving to Watford, we picked up lots of new supporters. In my little group we had a real football supporter who still likes his Hornets, but is a season ticket holder. We had a businessman who has become a fanatic, now outdoing me in his support especially away, but is realistic about performances and results. The important thing is that we support through thick and thin, realise there are ups and downs, and remain loyal to the cause. You stick to your guns SARFC, you are every bit as good a supporter as I and are entitled to your opinions, and to ignore the opinions of others, if you find them inappropriate.

OldMarovian (IP Logged)
20 December, 2017 17:50
Guilty as charged (sort of) re a football comment regarding Parra last weekend but for me the comment on him and football are fair game.

Cheating and conning the referee regarding contact has been a part of football for as long as I can remember and it's been one of the things I really dislike about the sport. Rugby actually IS a contact sport and if we go down the route of players thinking it's ok to feign injury, dive, etc then our sport is over. In some regards we're already on the slippery slope with regards of a decreasing lack of respect to the ref by players on the field.

Players who indulge in that behaviour should be ridiculed and scorned just like their football counterparts should IMO. Mind you I stopped watching the round ball game about the same time Zola hung up his boots (now there was a proper player) so maybe it's not a feature of the game anymore ...

Coughie (IP Logged)
20 December, 2017 23:03
Go and ask Nigel Wray about his involvement in Nottingham Forest football club....

Not something he would want to recall, mind...

~ You never knowingly let the facts get in the way of the story. ~

EnfieldMal (IP Logged)
21 December, 2017 04:52
Quote:
SARFC
Having read some of the recent comments on various threads in the past couple of weeks (mostly about recent performances) I have been dismayed with some attitudes displayed.
I only properly came into rugby supporting when Saracens moved to Watford but it would seem by some posts that there is an us and them attitude towards people who supported Saracens pre & because of Watford, am I less of a supporter because my supporting history is no more than 10 years?!
Also would someone please explain to me these idiotic comments regarding football, I am proud to say I supporter of both sports but it annoys me so when people feel the need to describe something negative around rugby as 'just like football' or 'idiot football fans' etc etc etc
I realise that forums are exactly that but it is a side of some rugby fans that I just don't understand, is it really necessary?
So I am football & Rugby loving fan of just about 10 years, I will always be Saracens at heart and support the team but when I hear such negativity it does make my question and think am I excepted as a fan?!

I have been ridiculed on social media for “only” having a season ticket since 2002 although I have supported Saracens since Enfield Football club days. It got very out of hand at the weekend. Going on our losing streak seems to have bought out the worst in some “supporters” on social media. If you can’t take the losing as well as the winning they are not a real supporter as that involves good & bad performances,

As for the football references i don’t follow football I don’t like the segregation in the stadium & the fake injuries & falling over. It was sad to see it happening in France over the weekend in the Clermont game.

Everyone of us who support Saracens are important

EnfieldMal (IP Logged)
21 December, 2017 04:52
Quote:
SARFC

I have been ridiculed on social media for “only” having a season ticket since 2002 although I have supported Saracens since Enfield Football club days. It got very out of hand at the weekend. Going on our losing streak seems to have bought out the worst in some “supporters” on social media. If you can’t take the losing as well as the winning they are not a real supporter as that involves good & bad performances,

As for the football references i don’t follow football I don’t like the segregation in the stadium & the fake injuries & falling over. It was sad to see it happening in France over the weekend in the Clermont game.

Everyone of us who support Saracens are important

emmas42 (IP Logged)
21 December, 2017 07:50
I started watching sarries in 2011. I'm just a newbie, but I love my team and will always follow them.
The whole "real fans" thing reminds me of Hipsters trying desperately to be unique. "My favourite band? Oh you won't have heard of them, I've been following them since they first played at... blah blah blah"
I ignore and get on with things. Without new fans we wouldn't be where we are now.
Worth remembering.
Have a lovely Christmas, new and old fans alike.
Hope we bring back a win on Sunday.

Coughie (IP Logged)
21 December, 2017 08:03
I seem to recall that Watford supporters were offered dirt-cheap Saracens season tickets for the first 2 seasons at Vicarage road....

Wayoutwest (IP Logged)
21 December, 2017 08:28
There is a difference IMHO between football and rugby for me and its the foundation that our game is built on. It's called respect. Whether it's for the referee, the opposition and the opposing fans in general rugby has this at its heart.

Long may it continue.

TimH (IP Logged)
21 December, 2017 09:11
I would stress the attitudes outlined tend to be isolated to message boards and the brave keyboard warriors of Twitterati. That is still a small minority.

My wife and I started watching rugby in our first season at Watford after getting disillusioned with the price and atmosphere at my football club (Southend United).

I still watch a lot (more than probably healthy) of non-league football - particularly Dulwich Hamlet and Oxford City - surprise, surprise the non-segregated fans behave in the same welcoming way as rugby supporters.

The difference between both sports on the terraces is hugely exaggerated. Stick football fans in the same pub and you would generally see the same kind of behaviour as in a rugby environment. I see it week in, week out.

Coughie (IP Logged)
21 December, 2017 10:47
It may be down to the large Police presence and segregation of football supporters..

Football stats

I must say, in my many years of working for the CPS and with the Met police, never once did I need to communicate with the Rugby Intelligence Unit and apply for a Rugby Banning Oder in Court....

Maybe because they don't exist. I really did apply for Football Banning Orders and communicate with the Football Intelligence unit. Oh, the millions of pounds spent and the ones that got away....

Oh Nick Hornby of Fever Pitch fame. You loser, granted, rich loser.

CB1959 (IP Logged)
21 December, 2017 10:55
Quote:
mrangry
Personally I have been supporting Sarries for 30 years and was delighted when, moving to Watford, we picked up lots of new supporters. In my little group we had a real football supporter who still likes his Hornets, but is a season ticket holder. We had a businessman who has become a fanatic, now outdoing me in his support especially away, but is realistic about performances and results. The important thing is that we support through thick and thin, realise there are ups and downs, and remain loyal to the cause. You stick to your guns SARFC, you are every bit as good a supporter as I and are entitled to your opinions, and to ignore the opinions of others, if you find them inappropriate.

+1

Coughie (IP Logged)
21 December, 2017 10:57
Cheap Saracens season tickets for Watford suporters!

For at least the first 2 years.

And plenty of Hornets fans didn't like the groundshare - rugby studs cutting up the pitch, etc...

Give the whole picture,MR B!

TimH (IP Logged)
21 December, 2017 11:02
Football fans are only segregated in the top four divisions in England. But, just like in rugby, choose to congregate with friends and switch ends to improve volume etc.

Tens of thousands of supporters watch matches at lower levels and share same bars, terraces and company. No fighting, no abuse and good natured (I hate this word) banter ensues.

Rugby and football fans - hold the front page - not that different!

Coughie (IP Logged)
21 December, 2017 11:04
You can't polish a Turd, Tim.

SARFC (IP Logged)
21 December, 2017 11:17
What exactly is your point?

Wayoutwest (IP Logged)
21 December, 2017 11:43
But the way the sport is conducted on the pitch surely is different? Again, I go back to the word respect. Diving, feigning injury like they have been shot by a sniper, confronting the referee. These are all things that I don't want to see in Rugby and in most cases don't.

The fans maybe the same but the games have different values at the top of the game.

Football is a very successful game. It generates a lot more tribal support and people are very passionate about it, its still our national game. Just not for me.

CT (IP Logged)
21 December, 2017 11:54
Most of those probably happened last weekend, with a headbutt and shoulder to the head thrown in too.

Westrock (IP Logged)
21 December, 2017 12:18
Quote:
CT
Most of those probably happened last weekend, with a headbutt and shoulder to the head thrown in too.

I thought that the head butt was a Cricket welcome when meeting Australian players

Brighty_Fez (IP Logged)
21 December, 2017 12:36
your not wrong SARFC there has been a hell of a lot of people feeling that they have to tell the world about how long they have been following the club which has not been needed.
I get that the last 2 months has been frustrating with the way results have gone on the pitch but no fan is a bigger fan than anyone else. We have been spoilt for the last 9 years with what the club has done when you compare it to the history that goes before it and its been a great journey that I for one hope we continue on if not this year then in years to come.

are you any less a support because you haven't been around 10 years or more???? No we all have the same passions and all want the same 15/23 players to achieve the same thing week in week out

keep the faith and keep on cheering

Eric Browett (IP Logged)
21 December, 2017 12:44
But the expectations of those supporters who've been following Sarries for 5-6 years might be very different from those who've been following for 10 years+. Just an observation, 'not a 'my dad's bigger than your dad'.

Regarding the football comparison there is still a world of difference, in my opinion, between the behaviour of footballers and rugby players. There are exceptions of course, but the general attitude is a chasm. And I like football.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 21/12/2017 12:47 by Eric Browett.

SARFC (IP Logged)
21 December, 2017 14:41
[dailym.ai]
An interesting read considering some posts on recent forums

Jim 55 (IP Logged)
21 December, 2017 15:06
Quote:
SARFC
http://dailym.ai/2oX83n3
An interesting read considering some posts on recent forums

And the Principality Stadium. Those who think Rugby does not have a problem are wearing their blinkers!

Coughie (IP Logged)
21 December, 2017 15:18

TimH (IP Logged)
21 December, 2017 15:49
I am not sure what this means to be honest...

Quote:
Coughie
You can't polish a Turd, Tim.

The original post rightly points out that derogatory comments about 'football' by some rugby fans are idiotic.

In my East Stand row at Sarries we have an Arsenal fan, Southampton follower, Spurs season ticket holder and me (as previously mentioned, a Southend supporter). One thing in common - all Sarries' season ticket holders.

I reiterate not much difference between most rugby and football fans in how they behave on matchday, and - from what I see on these forums - not much difference online either.

Coughie (IP Logged)
21 December, 2017 16:28

Coughie (IP Logged)
21 December, 2017 16:29
For the avoidance of any doubt, none of the Sunday Hackney Marsh football spectators were charged with any criminal offences....

Coughie (IP Logged)
21 December, 2017 16:33
Football @#$%&.

1876-Fez (IP Logged)
21 December, 2017 18:21
Ahhh you worked for the CPS for many years, that explains a lot.... nothing else to be said. Case closed. (Sm122)

SUPPORT Help for Heroes:
Help for Heroes

RustySword (IP Logged)
21 December, 2017 23:01
Quote:
TimH
Tens of thousands of supporters watch matches at lower levels and share same bars, terraces and company. No fighting, no abuse and good natured (I hate this word) banter ensues.

When St. Albans City play Hemel Hempstead the "fans" are segregated. All 500-odd of them (us). Anyone who thinks there is equivalence in behaviour (players, management or supporters) between rugby and football is indulging in a spectacular act of self-delusion.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 21/12/2017 23:03 by RustySword.

TimH (IP Logged)
22 December, 2017 09:12
Now you are overreacting and spectacularly missing my point, which is very simple - MOST sports fans are cut from similar cloth and can behave in a cordial and friendly manner, no matter which teams they support. Arrests at football grounds around the country are very low when compared with the number of people in attendance.

I reiterate my point about non-league football - ironically, I was at St Albans for an Oxford City game last weekend, great old style ground, no segregation and chats with home fans before the game and in the pub. Exactly the same at Notts County in the FA Cup a few weeks before. Not a hint of aggression.

We'll have to agree to disagree. I have been a season ticket holder at Saracens for 20 years and watch a lot of football. I just don't see the chasm of difference in behaviour you speak of, sorry.

TonyTaff (IP Logged)
22 December, 2017 10:29
A moderator writes: Our policy is not to sanction derogatory references to football its players or supporters.

However, we take a dim view of insults aimed at individual users on this site whether they concern football allegiance, length of tenure as a Sarries fan, or anything else.

We don't intend to change.

If you like this policy, please continue to use this forum.

If you prefer a more laissez-faire approach, there are other outlets for you.

£676.97 (*) donated to the Saracens Foundation due to visits to the Sarries frontpage [www.rugbynetwork.net]

Please read and submit articles for publication. (*) As at October 31, 2017.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 22/12/2017 10:31 by TonyTaff.

Seany_Boy0511 (IP Logged)
22 December, 2017 13:24
What I don't like about football us the fact when you support a team most people (ordinary fans) are ok but come out with oh he's Cr@p or he's not worth my spit (aimed at another player for a different team) most people I'm sure are good natured but naturally the more numpties you have the more trouble and unfortunately with football that happens more often than not (at a top level admittedly) also the fact football is now a business and not a sport in my opinion... Look at England how many youngsters in football have won their age level world cups? And realistically how many will play for the likes of Chelsea, Arsenal, Spurs and Liverpool and Man city in 2 years... Not many I bet...

So for the fact rugby at a top level has respect for fans and players and mostly officials i will always follow the sport, hopefully it will never get to the stage football has where there is only like 4 English players in each top team....

Back on point to the thread now... Everyone here is worthy of Saracens and we will come out of this slight blip, Let's all give that extra 5%!

CT (IP Logged)
22 December, 2017 14:34
If you're going to say Football is now a business rather than a sport then you have to say that about Rugby and most sports at the top level.

While there is an issue with young English players getting a chance, it is not an issue exclusive to Football, just look at the French Rugby clubs.

RustySword (IP Logged)
23 December, 2017 17:02
Quote:
TimH
I reiterate my point about non-league football - ironically, I was at St Albans for an Oxford City game last weekend, great old style ground, no segregation and chats with home fans before the game and in the pub.

Are you denying that supporters are segregated when Snorbens plays 'emel 'empstead? If so, come along to Clarence Park on Boxing Day and see for yourself. Hopefully you will NOT see the kind of behaviour that leads to the segregation, but you never know: the segregation is there for a reason.

RustySword (IP Logged)
23 December, 2017 17:02
-

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 23/12/2017 17:04 by RustySword.

F-F-F-FEZ (IP Logged)
23 December, 2017 22:02
In professional sport winning comes before entertaining and profit comes before everything. New (pointless) team strip this year sir?
It's sad but true and a bit of a generalization but let's not get too doe eyed about it.
Faith in numbers is only visible ante-post so let's see what the crowd stats are when it gets really grim - not for some time I hope.
Privileged supporter of a fine club!

RustySword (IP Logged)
23 December, 2017 23:04
Actually you don't need to attend Clarence Park on Boxing Day, simply referring to St. Albans City FC's website suffices: "Crowd segregation will be in place for the visit of Hemel Hempstead Town on Boxing Day."

Lest anyone be tempted to say "so what?", allow me to point out that this is SEGREGATION at a non-league match, between two very ordinary teams, attended by a few hundred, at a poxy little "stadium" in a place as genteel as St. Albans. And there is no reason to doubt that this segregation is replicated at non-league derby matches across the country (Snorbens v. Boreham Stiff is certainly a bit dodgy too).

I know what it's like. I grew up among these thugs. Me and the missus are related to some of them. I have been spattered in their blood whilst trying to separate them. Football supporters the same as rugby supporters? Pull the other one, it's got (Christmas) bells on it.

And don't get me started on the on-field shenanigans.

Have a great Crimbo, and see you at Clarence Park on Boxing Day - if you are prepared to attend an event where segregation is in operation.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 23/12/2017 23:19 by RustySword.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net