rugbyunion
Latest News:
New Page 1

Whatever your views on Saracens, whether a Sarries fan or not, leave them here.

To leave a message on this board you must register. To register click HERE, it takes only a minute.
Non-rugby posts are welcome, but please prefix your subject header with "OT" or "Off Topic".

Thought for the Day:
HE WHO CONQUERS HIMSELF IS THE MIGHTIEST WARRIOR

Latest: GLASGOW WARRIORS 3:13 SARACENS
Next: Saracens v Lyon Sat 20th Oct, 17.30 Allianz,
Audio: Click the link below. If it ain' there, it ain't on!
Upcoming TV: Saracens v Lyon, Sat 20th Oct 17.15 BT Sport 2

BBC Online Rugby Union Commentaries

The Fish | Rugby Union News | Fez Boys | Saracens Fixtures | The SSA

Significant win
#wolfpack (IP Logged)
07 January, 2018 16:56
Defence much more on point and clinical in attack with only
Maro’s silly offload and Sean being a bit careless and not pinning his ears back leaving points out there.

Feel that is a significant win for us. I was concerned at the start of the second half we were going to just try and defend for 40mins (like Exeter at home and Quins away) but this time we didn’t. Good stuff.

Mind you, Rhodesey and Bill make a bit of a difference don’t they.

Re: Significant win
Eric Browett (IP Logged)
07 January, 2018 16:59
Lots of smiles out there today. Good to see; looked like they were having fun.

Adey (IP Logged)
07 January, 2018 17:06
Wolfpack, spot on about Rhodes and Billy. They really make us look like such a better side when they’re on the pitch. They are the difference between the narrow losses and missing bonus points we’ve been having last couple of months and bonus point wins.

derbyshire fan (IP Logged)
07 January, 2018 17:09
Watching the post game highlights - Billy really straight back at his best; Michael continues to be a huge asset for us. Well played everyone

OldMarovian (IP Logged)
07 January, 2018 17:10
Well done team. Stuff to work on but that was a very strong performance and considering we were down to 13 for 7? minutes well managed.

Here's to them and the next couple of weeks. Also, *hat tip* to Falcons for beating Exeter and denying them a BP (Sm128)

Highbury Saracen (IP Logged)
07 January, 2018 17:15
Great performance all round!

European champions 2016 & 2017

OldMarovian (IP Logged)
07 January, 2018 17:27
PS hope Taylor is ok. Poor guy has the worst luck.

07 January, 2018 18:04
Agree OM very unlucky player....he’d get less knocks playing 2nd row!!
Big shout for Chris Wyles who I thought also had his best game for a while!! (Pun intended!) smiling smiley

GazzaFez (IP Logged)
07 January, 2018 18:34
Highly significant win definitely. Also we were the only team in the top 4 to win this weekend with losses for Exeter and Glaws as well as Wasps. In addition only Glaws managed to pick up an LBP. The table has a much better look to it going back into Europe with a decent cushion between us and 3rd place and a big cushion between us and 5th place.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/01/2018 18:37 by GazzaFez.

Mac L (IP Logged)
07 January, 2018 18:50
Good result, best game played this year.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/01/2018 18:51 by Mac L.

07 January, 2018 18:54
Quote:
Mac L
Good result, best game played this year.

Ha ha ....saw what you did there!! smiling smiley

Mac L (IP Logged)
07 January, 2018 18:59
cheers, let's hope it is bettered in the rest of this season

london pride (IP Logged)
07 January, 2018 19:47
That first ten minutes of the second half we played some great rugby, and I thought was the turning point in the game.We didn't concede any points even though we were down 2 players, The players came back and we go on and score.
I wonder how many teams have have prevented Waspies from scoring in the last 40 in the last 2 seasons?

07 January, 2018 19:51
Not many Martin!

The Bard (IP Logged)
07 January, 2018 21:13
Brilliant performance. Just watched the channel 5 highlights, we got away with an offsides for the first try when Maro knocked on at the line out and Mako picked it up in front of him. Right under Wayne’s nose!

flavman 35 (IP Logged)
07 January, 2018 22:17
That was some display today. Our tackling was back to normal. Even when wasps made half breaks somebody was there to make the tackle. Big performances from a lot of the boys.
Great to see

nicsue (IP Logged)
07 January, 2018 23:23
Was it just us who thought Billy looked younger today? Not sure what he has been up to while he has been away.

Fingers crossed for Duncan Taylor. Didn't see what happened to him.

vunipolae (IP Logged)
08 January, 2018 08:45
One thing I noticed that really.pleased me was a much better scrum today, against one of the better scrummaging teams in the league. Adding tolufua to the front row will no doubt have helped this as will the additional weight of billy at the back but I think having Maro back in the second row makes a huge difference. Eddie Jones has repeatedly said how good Maro is in the scrum such that even when he wears 6 he scrums at 5. Itoje has played at 6 or been injured for much of the season and this has correlated with a sharp downturn in scrum performance. I know correlation doesn't prove causation but hopefully having Maro back in second row will see our scrum continue to look like previous seasons

daz_71 (IP Logged)
08 January, 2018 08:50
Quote:
OldMarovian
PS hope Taylor is ok. Poor guy has the worst luck.

Is Duncan and the knocks to the head becoming a bit of a worry? Isn't that his last 2 appearances he's been forced from the field having failed a HIA? I hope it's not serious but Al Hargreaves demise (if that's the right word) started with constant knocks to the head.

tpr's headmistress (IP Logged)
08 January, 2018 09:27
Quote:
nicsue
Was it just us who thought Billy looked younger today? Not sure what he has been up to while he has been away.

Yes I thought so too - perhaps he's had a shave and got rid of that 'designer' facial hair. He certainly looked shiny and new.(Sm125)

chinjy (IP Logged)
08 January, 2018 11:18
Massive massive win.

Thought that seven min period down to 13 men won us the game. And just shows what we can do if we are patience, hold the ball and not try too many offloads.

I don't know what other people think, but I'm not very impressed with Burger this season. He did score but gave penalties away, a needless yellow card and just threw offloads that just weren't on. I expected more from such experience.

Thought Loz did very well too after coming on 24 mins in.

primavesi (IP Logged)
08 January, 2018 11:21
Quote:
vunipolae
One thing I noticed that really.pleased me was a much better scrum today, against one of the better scrummaging teams in the league. Adding tolufua to the front row will no doubt have helped this as will the additional weight of billy at the back but I think having Maro back in the second row makes a huge difference. Eddie Jones has repeatedly said how good Maro is in the scrum such that even when he wears 6 he scrums at 5. Itoje has played at 6 or been injured for much of the season and this has correlated with a sharp downturn in scrum performance. I know correlation doesn't prove causation but hopefully having Maro back in second row will see our scrum continue to look like previous seasons

I agree 100% with that, I think Maro makes a huge difference in the scrum. It is not just front rowers that can be destructive there, and was noticeable that the players all went to him after one of the scrums that we won.

08 January, 2018 11:30
I actually thought Burger did ok yesterday
He got carded agreed but I thought his overall contribution was good
He cant do 80 mins though & when Jackson came on after approx 50 it was right decision
Our replacements all did well when they came on

AlanE (IP Logged)
08 January, 2018 11:34
I thought it was a good call to take Burger off; great player and did some good things yesterday but he does tend to go high and came very close to a high tackle a couple of minutes before his substitution. If that had been a second yellow card (and therefore red) it could have had an influence on the result as the score was still 18 (or 21, I forget) to 15 at the time.

I was 17 miles from Graybridge before I was caught by the school leopard

flavman 35 (IP Logged)
08 January, 2018 12:26
I think Nathan earle needs a mention, nothing got past him today and he was up against one of the deadliest finishers in the league.

MyCupRunnethOver (IP Logged)
08 January, 2018 12:43
Quote:
flavman 35
I think Nathan earle needs a mention, nothing got past him today and he was up against one of the deadliest finishers in the league.
Agreed, he looked good in attack as well, he seemed to be looking for work much more rather than standing off and waiting for the ball to come to him.
I hope that all the talk of him moving on ends up being not true.

Sully08 (IP Logged)
08 January, 2018 14:45
Nathan looked at home in that strong team and showed defensive qualities and hunger to get involved that has not been so evident previously.

He is successfully making the transition into a regular for the first team squad and the England training experience must have helped increased his confidence too

Pimpernel44 (IP Logged)
08 January, 2018 15:32
Quote:
nicsue

We thought slimmer.

08 January, 2018 15:38
Quote:
Pimpernel44
Quote:
nicsue

We thought slimmer.

A lot slimmer ......must’ve eased up on the nando’s! smiling smiley

OldMarovian (IP Logged)
08 January, 2018 16:35
Quote:
flavman 35

He'll be disappointed not to have scored a try but such is the bounce of a rugby ball. Agree about good defence but thought he was on Watsons wing? (who he chased down a couple of times) I also really like that after a tackle he almost always tries to counter-ruck. Limited reward so far but it almost always means the opposition have to chuck in an extra player to clear him out. I'm a fan and hope he stays.

Also thought Tolofua was excellent. He'll keep working on his lineout throwing and the rest of his contributions including the ball over his shoulder to Goode were first class.

MyCupRunnethOver (IP Logged)
08 January, 2018 16:52
Quote:
OldMarovian
Also thought Tolofua was excellent. He'll keep working on his lineout throwing and the rest of his contributions including the ball over his shoulder to Goode were first class.

I missed that...I will need to watch ALL OVER AGAIN (Sm100)

villagesarrie (IP Logged)
08 January, 2018 17:18
We also thought Billy was looking slimmer and more "defined" for want of a better word.

AlanE (IP Logged)
08 January, 2018 17:53
Maybe Billy had swapped shifts with Ugo Monye who was certainly filling his coat well.

I was 17 miles from Graybridge before I was caught by the school leopard

Pimpernel44 (IP Logged)
08 January, 2018 17:56
Quote:
Highbury Saracen
Quote:
Pimpernel44
Quote:
nicsue

We thought slimmer.

A lot slimmer ......must’ve eased up on the nando’s! smiling smiley

Losing a bit of timber can only be good news for his troublesome knees!

Seany_Boy0511 (IP Logged)
08 January, 2018 18:35
He has clearly worked on losing his weight and it's not effected Billy's Ball carrying whatsoever, Aside from Burgers Yellow card(rightly so as well) he had a reasonable game, Faz also (barring a definite yellow and couple of Dodgy kicks) controled that game well, Nathan Earle was brilliant out there and also Maro playing out of his skin yet again, great result let's hope we take that momentum onto Europe now !

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net