rugbyunion
Latest News:
New Page 1

Whatever your views on Saracens, whether a Sarries fan or not, leave them here.

To leave a message on this board you must register. To register click HERE, it takes only a minute.
Non-rugby posts are welcome, but please prefix your subject header with "OT" or "Off Topic".

Thought for the Day:
HANGING BY A THREAD!

Latest: OSPREYS 15:15 SARACENS
Next SARACENS
Sat 20th Jan 15.00, Allianz
Audio: Click the link below. If it ain't there, it ain't on!
Upcoming TV: Saracens v Northampton Saints
Sat 20th Jan 2018 BT Sport 14.45

BBC Online Rugby Union Commentaries

The Fish | Rugby Union News | Fez Boys | Saracens Fixtures | The SSA

Anti Rugby...
Svenster (IP Logged)
07 January, 2018 18:53
Apparently we play 'Anti Rugby' according to some other message boards.. not quite sure what that is, or does it mean we simply win too much? (Sm100)

Re: Anti Rugby...
Highbury Saracen (IP Logged)
07 January, 2018 18:55
YES!!

European champions 2016 & 2017

dirtybertie (IP Logged)
07 January, 2018 19:05
Jealousy is just love and hate at the same time. We love it they hate it

07 January, 2018 19:13
Seriously,we didnt have backs they had today & played to our strengths!
I will remind our detractors of the two games we played against Saints this season....fantastic entertaining games!
Its a shame some supporters can only see the game with tunnel vision

Barnetsarrie12 (IP Logged)
07 January, 2018 19:36
People love to clutch at straws, also it makes it easier for people to justify their teams not winning as much as saracens to say we play boring rugby, we sign too many south africans, a favourite of the leicester board (even though when you compare the two teams in the last 5 years, one is producing world class english players, the other.....), play boring rugby, kick the ball too much, heck someone today said we sign people based on muscle mass, a bath fan from the club who have auterac and obano and lahiff in the front row, talking about muscle mass.

Anyways it's 2018 and i've decided that i will not let this stuff bother me, i'm happy maro, billy and rhodes are back and we keep winning, other fans can say whatever they want to about our team, that's their problem

london pride (IP Logged)
07 January, 2018 20:09
It's funny isn't it that when we went through that bad patch the criticism on other boards was nowhere to be seen.We come back into form and lo and behold we're blamed for everything from boring rugby to Brexit to the bad weather.One thing I have noticed is the more sucessfull Saracens are, the louder the detractors seem to get.DirtyBertie got it right....Jealousy.Carry on Sarries.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/01/2018 20:11 by london pride.

OldMarovian (IP Logged)
07 January, 2018 20:33
I don't know how I insert the link but I give you the great Jacques Burgers thoughts on the matter:

[twitter.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/01/2018 20:34 by OldMarovian.

Seany_Boy0511 (IP Logged)
07 January, 2018 20:35
Well who scored 5 tries away from home? And who contained the defence brilliantly... Was a cracking game even for the neutral fan

Convex Hull (IP Logged)
07 January, 2018 21:37
Take a look at the league points difference, Saracens is leading every other team, except Exeter, by a huge margin.

Regardez mon visage. Suis-je bovvered?

F-F-F-FEZ (IP Logged)
08 January, 2018 08:23
What's not to like about another Saracens Exeter final? (Sm128)

08 January, 2018 09:35
Not going to take any comments on attractive rugby from a side that only managed one push over try, and one run-in against a side with 13 men!

siNBin (IP Logged)
08 January, 2018 10:50
In the land of the blind-side, the one eyed man is king

DuncanS (IP Logged)
08 January, 2018 11:36
Bath dominate pre-professionalism and it's all down to paying players under the table.
Leicester dominate late 90s/early 00s and it's because they cheat at the breakdown and only have a pack.
Wasps dominate mid-noughties and it's because they are always offside and going uncontested.
Saracens dominate mid 10s and they are boring.

Goes with the territory, I'm afraid. Our (Wasps) board have even started slating Exeter for being boring. Until they won the Prem they were everyone's second favourite team!

08 January, 2018 12:00
Quote:
DuncanS
Bath dominate pre-professionalism and it's all down to paying players under the table.
Leicester dominate late 90s/early 00s and it's because they cheat at the breakdown and only have a pack.
Wasps dominate mid-noughties and it's because they are always offside and going uncontested.

Goes with the territory, I'm afraid. Our (Wasps) board have even started slating Exeter for being boring. Until they won the Prem they were everyone's second favourite team!

Agree with that Duncan
I was chatting to some Chiefs fans this season & told them now they’ve won something their popularity may take a hit! smiling smiley

Barnetsarrie12 (IP Logged)
08 January, 2018 12:02
Quote:
DuncanS

I could not put it any better if i tried Duncan, Love your last sentence about Exeter, I have started seeing it on a few boards, before this season, they were loved, they play the same rugby now but because they won last year, people have started calling them boring.

Heck you see it with NZ, they only win because they cheat at the breakdown, refs favour them etc

Which Tyler (IP Logged)
08 January, 2018 12:05
People just don't like changing their minds; we see it with players all the time.
5-6 years ago, I'd say that Sarries playing boring (but effective) rugby was absolutely a valid criticism; but not for the last 2-3 years.

People just haven't changed their minds yet.

Equally, people still believe that Newcastle are perpetual relegation fodder who can't scrape a win against anyone. People believe that Abendanon is still prone to 4-5 brain farts a match and a defensive pygmy; or that Charlie Hodgson never learned to tackle, or that he just collapsed when the pressure was on.

Once someone's made their mind up, it's very, very hard for them to change it in the face of new evidence, all they'll see is their confirmation bias.

Innings (IP Logged)
08 January, 2018 14:47
Nobody likes to admit that their team isn't functioning at the level required to win titles. Therefore it's easier to blame the other sides doing better for being something unattractive, like being boring, cheats, too well-funded, too well coached, too interested in helping players through adversity, too professional or too much of a brotherhood cult.

The oddity is that when the club they support takes on one of those unattractive traits, their supporters stop complaining,

Innings

Points win matches: tries win hearts and minds.

Just (IP Logged)
08 January, 2018 15:40
Exeter are "boring" because once they have the ball they are relentless, they hit every ruck and secure the ball, they make positive drives on almost every carry and they protect the ball really well and they keep doing so until they score either by driving it or by creating space out wide, they don't let you play!

Saracens are "boring" because they make positive hits in defense and keep squashing the attack, most of the time moving it back behind the gainline, never letting up either forcing a mistake or forcing the attack to kick the ball away which they then capitalize on ruthlessly, they never let you play.

We (Wasps) are really "exciting" because we run the ball from anywhere and have exciting strike runners and score loads of trys, but we are also nice and porous in defence and make sure we have to work for the whole 80 by turning the ball over regularly and giving the opposition chances all the time, we always let you play.

I don't half wish we were a little more "boring" at times and didn't let other teams play as much [:wor kid:]

isitme (IP Logged)
08 January, 2018 16:41
Not a sarries supporter but the notion that you play boring rugby is laughable. You were deserved winners yesterday and scored some excellent tries. I suppose these anti rugby posters are the ones who think Cipriani is better than Farrell?

Squawker2 (IP Logged)
08 January, 2018 17:11
What do you mean, Cips can tackle woke busses!

-----------------------------------------------------

Stuart Barnes is a Cock Womble

To Mega Therion (IP Logged)
09 January, 2018 09:15
Quote:
Just
Exeter are "boring" because once they have the ball they are relentless,

Yes, relentless in rarely moving the ball beyond first receiver. Sometimes it's like rugby league before the six tackle law was brought in which is bound to attract the "boring" comments.

As for the "I'd rather see my team play entertaining, losing rugby than "boring" winning rugby" types : they're full of it.

https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTMpKHV_mtVeNi9mSYLq3K1i9NvBslw7N8R4UvEbLchopTFrP2k
Eparistera Daimones

saracen1971 (IP Logged)
09 January, 2018 09:37
Just show them the anti trophy from the anti doubles

Pimpernel44 (IP Logged)
09 January, 2018 10:42
It has ever been thus. Just look at recent title challenges: when Quins won the Prem their supporters banged on and on about "the Quins way" (but at least they won something, once).

Then we had the "Bath diamond" and we heard ad nauseum about how they were coming to the Prem final to show Sarries how rugby is really played. Whoops.

The "Wasps way" is pretty much a perennial mantra now, and very impressive they are when in full flight. And maybe they'll win the Prem again sooner or later, but if so it'll be like Quins: one-season wonders, unless they learn to add more organisation, grit and cussedness.

Leicester showed the way to build a dynasty in English rugby: pragmatic, tough, organised, a little bit cynical and a little bit cheaty. Sarries can do it too. So can Exeter I believe. But the purveyors of intermittently-successful froth? Not so much.

GazzaFez (IP Logged)
09 January, 2018 13:59
A quick look at the official Aviva Prem tables (that show all the detail) confirms that we have indeed scored more tries and more points than anyone else this season, not to mention having the best points difference. If you want to try and factor in entertainment value, then I'm fairly sure at least half and probably more of those tries have been scored by the backs. Not to say of course that a rolling maul rumbling over from the 22 is not a thing of beauty! I'm not sure what else we can do to keep happy the snowflakes not bowled over by our 'anti rugby'. Utter nonsense.

AP (IP Logged)
09 January, 2018 16:21
Quote:
GazzaFez
A quick look at the official Aviva Prem tables (that show all the detail) confirms that we have indeed scored more tries and more points than anyone else this season, not to mention having the best points difference. If you want to try and factor in entertainment value, then I'm fairly sure at least half and probably more of those tries have been scored by the backs. Not to say of course that a rolling maul rumbling over from the 22 is not a thing of beauty! I'm not sure what else we can do to keep happy the snowflakes not bowled over by our 'anti rugby'. Utter nonsense.

It has been said before, but -

THERE IS NOTHING BETTER THAN A ROLLING MAUL!

Successful hills are here to stay
Everything must be this way
Gentle streets where people play
Welcome to the Soft Parade

Convex Hull (IP Logged)
09 January, 2018 18:15
Quote:
To Mega Therion
Quote:
Just
Exeter are "boring" because once they have the ball they are relentless,

Yes, relentless in rarely moving the ball beyond first receiver. Sometimes it's like rugby league before the six tackle law was brought in which is bound to attract the "boring" comments.

As for the "I'd rather see my team play entertaining, losing rugby than "boring" winning rugby" types : they're full of it.

Rugby League, before the six rule law, was indescribably boring, particularly on a muddy February afternoon!

mfc (IP Logged)
09 January, 2018 20:14
Was there league before the tackle rule, for once I feel very young

Innings (IP Logged)
11 January, 2018 11:43
Just look at the top of this page. If any supporter says he'd prefer pure losing entertainment to seeing his team in a photo like that he's either a liar or terminally stupid.

Innings

OldMarovian (IP Logged)
11 January, 2018 14:44
Innings I am pretty sure Wasps pose for a photo like that at the end of every season to celebrate playing the most exciting rugby in the Premiership (Sm115)

Convex Hull (IP Logged)
11 January, 2018 20:38
Quote:
mfc
Was there league before the tackle rule, for once I feel very young

Watching League on a muddy day, you could go out of the room, make a cup of tea, clean out the budgie's cage, fill the coal bucket, and be sure that the ball would not have moved by more than ten yards, when you got back.

AP (IP Logged)
11 January, 2018 20:51
You had a coal bucket, a budgie's cage, a cup of team and a room? We just had a cardboard box int middle of road ...

OK, I'll grant you didn't have a budgie to go in the cage.

OldMarovian (IP Logged)
12 January, 2018 06:59
... luxury!

To Mega Therion (IP Logged)
12 January, 2018 09:05
When challenged about what he actually meant, the bloke on the Bath board who accused Sarries "anti rugby" went into some pathetic, long-winded explanation about how Sarrires suffocate the opposition and not let them play entertaining football. How dare they (or any other team, for that matter) Last time I looked, that was called "defence."

https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTMpKHV_mtVeNi9mSYLq3K1i9NvBslw7N8R4UvEbLchopTFrP2k
Eparistera Daimones

AP (IP Logged)
12 January, 2018 10:53
We have conceded 28 tries in the league so far this season - as many as in the whole of the last season. Exeter have conceded 27 tries (55 tries last season). So our defence is rather leaky but we're still one of the two best. Bath have conceded 41 tries and scored 36 (Exeter and we have scored 47 and 48 tries). So total tries for the three sides are 74 (Exeter), 76 (us) and 77 (Bath).

We and Chiefs seem to be getting better value out of the same entertainment!

Coughie (IP Logged)
12 January, 2018 11:05
'Back in the day' I recall some large welsh gentleman railing against Munster and their style of play. It was via the medium of a mass text message which I could adduce in evidence if required...

How the boot is on the other foot (quite literally) now that Saracens switched to the kicking for territory lark a while back....

FWIW, I have always preferred the Leinster style of rugby, the Clermont style, the Llanelli Scarlets style...

However, each team must play to its strengths. You all know what those of Saracens are.

~ You never knowingly let the facts get in the way of the story. ~

JO'G (IP Logged)
12 January, 2018 11:06
Quote:
Pimpernel44
It has ever been thus. Just look at recent title challenges: when Quins won the Prem their supporters banged on and on about "the Quins way" (but at least they won something, once).
Then we had the "Bath diamond" and we heard ad nauseum about how they were coming to the Prem final to show Sarries how rugby is really played. Whoops.

The "Wasps way" is pretty much a perennial mantra now, and very impressive they are when in full flight. And maybe they'll win the Prem again sooner or later, but if so it'll be like Quins: one-season wonders, unless they learn to add more organisation, grit and cussedness.

Leicester showed the way to build a dynasty in English rugby: pragmatic, tough, organised, a little bit cynical and a little bit cheaty. Sarries can do it too. So can Exeter I believe. But the purveyors of intermittently-successful froth? Not so much.

I heard an interesting call about watching Wasps v Sarries on Sunday

basically Wasps tactics were to throw the ball around ad-nauseum until they finally managed to create a one-on-one where a bit of individual skill or a mismatch allowed someone to score a try. Reasonably true - but if you don't allow a 1-on-1 or mismatch they can't really score

Sarries on the other hand deliberately created scenarios where the defence was stretched. it wasn't just pass and hope

Park team from London
Just a park team from London
European Champions
Just European champions

Coughie (IP Logged)
12 January, 2018 21:30
Scarlets played some rugby tonight. You need the skill levels to play like that.

~ You never knowingly let the facts get in the way of the story. ~

12 January, 2018 21:54
They were very impressive

OldMarovian (IP Logged)
12 January, 2018 22:20
Quote:
Coughie
Scarlets played some rugby tonight. You need the skill levels to play like that.

You also need passive defence and an opposition with no game plan. Bath were woeful and yes Scarlets were brilliant but so are most teams if you let them play their own game.

It frustrates me as a rugby watcher when teams are so poorly prepared for a team known to play in a specific way. Feel for the Bath fans as they're better than that.

Innings (IP Logged)
13 January, 2018 01:19
But if you're playing at home, perhaps you should impose your own game and let the opposition be the ones trying to work it out. Bath were woeful because they had no idea how to impose their style, and allowed Scarlets to run the entire game according to their plan.

Innings

GazzaFez (IP Logged)
13 January, 2018 11:48
Quote:
Innings
But if you're playing at home, perhaps you should impose your own game and let the opposition be the ones trying to work it out. Bath were woeful because they had no idea how to impose their style, and allowed Scarlets to run the entire game according to their plan.

A masterclass in anti rugby from Scarlets smiling smiley

David@Sarries (IP Logged)
13 January, 2018 13:05
The Scarlets were an absolute joy to watch last night. The way that the forwards and backs interchanged was fantastic - a lock forward side-stepping an international fullback, who would have thought that would happen?

Blackadder was not happy with the performance which is understandable but the lack of a game plan and not adapting to the Scarlets game plan must be down to the coaches...

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net