rugbyunion
Latest News:
New Page 1

Whatever your views on Saracens, whether a Sarries fan or not, leave them here.

To leave a message on this board you must register. To register click HERE, it takes only a minute.
Non-rugby posts are welcome, but please prefix your subject header with "OT" or "Off Topic".

Thought for the Day:
BACK ON TOP!

Latest: SALE 3:13 SARACENS
Next SARACENS v LEICESTER TIGERS
Sun 25th Feb 15.30, Allianz
Audio: Click the link below. If it ain't there, it ain't on!
Upcoming TV: SARACENS v LEICESTER TIGERS Sun 25th Feb 15.00 BT Sport

BBC Online Rugby Union Commentaries

The Fish | Rugby Union News | Fez Boys | Saracens Fixtures | The SSA

Nathan Earle to Quins confirmed
OldMarovian (IP Logged)
19 January, 2018 15:22
[www.quins.co.uk]

I wish him all the best for the future and thank him for the time he's spent with us.

Disappointed that we're letting him go. Maybe it's money and we just couldn't afford to keep him but if it's lack of game time that's certainly something that should have been addressed.

Re: Nathan Earle to Quins confirmed
Seany_Boy0511 (IP Logged)
19 January, 2018 15:26
Best of luck, I expect it's the latter and with the signing of Lewington and possible signing of Strettle it makes sense

It's a shame but these things happen

Rubz (IP Logged)
19 January, 2018 15:38
Quote:
OldMarovian
http://www.quins.co.uk/news/harlequins-sign-saracens-and-england-winger-nathan-earle/
I wish him all the best for the future and thank him for the time he's spent with us.

Disappointed that we're letting him go. Maybe it's money and we just couldn't afford to keep him but if it's lack of game time that's certainly something that should have been addressed.

I donít believe weíre letting him go. I believe we offered him a contract, and he chose to go to Quins instead. Not much we can do about that - we canít force him to stay...

HonkyTonk (IP Logged)
19 January, 2018 15:54
Didnt Jones tell him he needed more game time??

VR1997 (IP Logged)
19 January, 2018 15:57
The reasons and everyone's thoughts to the reasons don't matter now.

Good luck Nathan on your journey.

Rif (IP Logged)
19 January, 2018 16:19
Quote:
VR1997
The reasons and everyone's thoughts to the reasons don't matter now.

To be fair, that approach would basically kill-off this site.

"My kicking coach tells me to imagine I am on the beach and that's what I did. I tried to be as relaxed as possible because we had the wind in our face and I didn't want to force it." - Marcelo Bosch, 06/04/15

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 19/01/2018 16:19 by Rif.

Eric Browett (IP Logged)
19 January, 2018 16:20
I'd have preferred Nathan to stay as it's good to see academy players coming through, but Lewington is a proven Premiership try scoring winger, mostly in a struggling side, so I think long term it could be good business.

OldMarovian (IP Logged)
19 January, 2018 16:24
Quote:
Seany_Boy0511
Best of luck, I expect it's the latter and with the signing of Lewington and possible signing of Strettle it makes sense

With Ellery going, Wyles and Strettle (if he returns) towards the end of their careers it seems short-sighted to be letting a player go who has been with the club almost a decade and could be for a decade more.

Dolph42 (IP Logged)
19 January, 2018 16:59
Disappointing to lose an Academy player but he's our fourth choice wing and if Stretts signs next year would probably remain fourth choice. I hope he's getting paid a shed load and good luck to him at Quins.

The Bard (IP Logged)
19 January, 2018 17:32
A shame, as he had a genuine point of difference compared to our other wingers. We really need the others to step up and show they deserve the faith shown in them

Sara'sman (IP Logged)
19 January, 2018 17:56
I agree with OM's oft repeated disappointment at the loss of one of our promising academy products. I don't agree with his also oft repeated suggestion that we are losing a star player. Nathan may develop into a formidable winger but all I've seen so far is a fast lump with potential - a (very) poor man's Lomu if you like. I'm sure Small would love to keep Earle in the hope that he will develop, but he's not what we need now and as such worth considerably less to us than to Quins, who are rebuilding and have plenty of spare cash. We can't keep everyone and I think the club's track record when retaining or importing our needs over the past 7 years has been outstanding.

I wonder whether those complaining at the club's refusal to meet the player's demands are the same ones who complained when Auterac left for Bath that we were losing a superstar. Earle is weak under the ball, a modest passer, has little footwork, clumsy tackling technique and a poor kicking game. He may develop. But rather than read of how we've let a good'un go I'd rather see people expand on his perceived strengths.

Adey (IP Logged)
19 January, 2018 19:07
Quote:
Sara'sman
Earle is weak under the ball, a modest passer, has little footwork, clumsy tackling technique and a poor kicking game. He may develop.

This. As I mentioned on another thread itís always Ďin the coaches we trust.í That is until they let someone go. Canít think of anyone who has left the club and it has come back to haunt us. And as also mentioned above Lewington is a class act in a poor side. Imagine what heíd be capable of with plenty of front foot ball next season.

OldMarovian (IP Logged)
19 January, 2018 19:42
Quote:
Sara'sman
I don't agree with his also oft repeated suggestion that we are losing a star player.

Erm? Find me a single post where I have said that.

I think he is a player with potential who needs and needed a run of games. I also disagree with your assessment of his abilities (or rather lack of from your post) but that at least I'd agree is subjective.

Clubs are made as much or more by the great clubmen who play 20 plus games a season as the superstars and Marquee players we lose for half the season. Club players likely to stay because of their history or age profile for longer periods of time are even more valuable IMO.

We'll see how he does at Quins. I hope he does well.

Sara'sman (IP Logged)
19 January, 2018 20:17
Apologies OM, when I read my post I wished I'd written "implication" rather than "suggestion" - no wonder our politicians use such bland language! I believe this to be justified by your repeated calls over the past weeks for Earle to be played ahead of our 3 international wingers in addition to your post over on the Quins' board.

Out of interest what do ypu see as Nathan's skill set strengths and which of my opinions do you disagree with? Either way, time to concentrate on the random decisions at Kingsholm perhaps.

Edit to add: I don't think that Nathan has yet demonstrated the "finisher's" instinct that Strettle, Maitland and Williams have shown, the reading of the game that Wyles, Ash, Williams have, nor the off the ball work rate that ASh in particular demonstrated, though there have been encouraging signs of Earle developing as an inside shoulder crash ball exponent off first phase ball of late.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 19/01/2018 20:32 by Sara'sman.

GazzaFez (IP Logged)
20 January, 2018 01:33
On the Fish...

"Saracens can confirm that winger Nathan Earle will be joining Harlequins at the end of the current season.
Nathan made his first team debut in 2012 and established himself as a key member of the squad, making 32 appearances for the club."

What utter nonsense. 32 appearances over 6 years does not establish you as a key member of the squad, it simply does not and therein of course is the reason he is leaving; not enough game time. Not surprised he is leaving us frankly.

With Ellery gone, Wyles nearing the end of his career and now Earle leaving the addition of Lewington (possibly Strettle) will not be enough, especially with Maitland and Williams off on international duty.
Personally, if this is the last movement on the wings, I think overall the net result is not quite as good as before.

OldMarovian (IP Logged)
20 January, 2018 08:08
Quote:
Sara'sman
I believe this to be justified by your repeated calls over the past weeks for Earle to be played ahead of our 3 international wingers in addition to your post over on the Quins' board.

The only player I have thought he should be starting ahead of (and for quite a while) is Maitland. I'd start him ahead of Ellery too. So that leaves Williams and Wyles, the former of whom has barely played and I have never suggested Earles should start in front of and the later of whom is an excellent experienced player but nearing the end of his career and I have mentioned once (in the context of Earles getting more games) it might be nice to see Earles started ahead of. So that's basically my repeated calls over Maitland rather than all 3 of our International wingers which tbf is a bit like the difference between me saying he's a talented player IMO and he's our star player. As ever it really is easier to discuss things if it's about what someones actually said rather than your impression of what they've said smiling smiley

Ash is in a different class to the rest IMO certainly in terms of off the ball work rate. The finishers instinct you talk about is something we have seen in all those players you mention but we have also seen in Earles. The fact we've seen less of it from him might possibly have something to do with how much he's played as much as anything. I certainly remember him at age-grade and you'd never say he didn't have a finishers ability there. Ofc the game is tougher higher up and had he had an extended run I may well feel the same as you. For me we just haven't seen enough evidence either way.

Quote:
Sara'sman
Out of interest what do you see as Nathan's skill set strengths and which of my opinions do you disagree with?
He is very quick. Jonny May/Anthony Watson quick and is more physical than either. I haven't seen much of his kicking game but his passing game is fine. More importantly, he knows when to pass and does so when the chance is on for players around him rather than getting tunnel vision and blowing try-scoring chances. This season he's not been great under the high ball but again which of our wings (not Goode) have? lastly his defence is as good in fact clearly better than many of our current choices. He gets bounced occasionally when he actually makes tackles on bigger players (something few of our backs do) and he has shown great pace and technique in making covering tackles including one against I think Glaws where he took the player into touch but it was still given. His try-scoring rate is better than any of our other wingers based on time in play and full stop than Mailtland. Hard to draw to much from because of the different opponents but he certainly has made far fewer mistakes than some of the finishers you mention in terms of botched try-scoring chances.

As I've mentioned I just hope that this isn't a trend and Tompkins, Malins, etc are next

Anyway smiling smiley as you said moving on ...

Duncan96 (IP Logged)
20 January, 2018 10:00
My guess is that weíve used up a large part of our salary cap capacity with new deals for Owen Farrell, Jamie George et al. Quins freed up a large part of theirs with the offload of Marlon Yarde so they can offer a much bigger salary to a winger than we can.

That plus more game time makes it a no brainer for Nathan.

It must be a difficult business running a rugby club with current wage inflation: produce top class players, lose them to England for long periods then you canít afford to keep them.

VR1997 (IP Logged)
20 January, 2018 10:41
Rif. Fair point

The only comment I can see which is attributed to have come from Nathan is on the
Official Harlequins website.

" I would like to thank Saracens, specifically the players and coaching staff, for helping
create so many great memories throughout my nine years at the. Further I would like to thank the fans for their continued support. They have made the decision to move extremely difficult"

Gryff (IP Logged)
20 January, 2018 11:09
My understanding is that Nathan was offered a contract and he wanted to stay but Quins offered a significantly higher salary that Sarries couldn't match due to Cap and wage structure. This is first signs of what Alex Sanderson and Mark McCall talked about recently that we wouldn't be able to keep everyone.

Sorry to see him leave but have always rated Lewington so quite excited to see him

BarnetSarrie (IP Logged)
20 January, 2018 20:20
Gryff that is mainly correct - but there was also an element of this, which was that they left him hanging whilst other players were signed up around him and wondering what was going to happen - whilst Quins and one or two other clubs came knocking - and in the meantime quite a while ago in actual fact, we signed Lewington which didnt exactly make him feel appreciated. Then we turned round and said we wanted to keep him, but by that stage he had already pretty much agreed the Quins deal and it was a no brainer - they could afford to make a generous offer.
I do unfortunately think this is one of those times when this is going to bite us in the bum. Nathan is a hungry and very capable winger and a great finisher (Sorry I do not agree with you Sara'sman). He is also someone who really wanted to stay. The club have said they want to keep the nucleus of academy players in the same way as the Jamies, Georges, Owens etc have formed the team core. This sends a bad message.
I am admittedly biassed because I have known him very well since the early days and I have seen just how motivated he is for success and how much he has improved - and grown both in terms of physicality and skill. I dont like to see him leave, wanting to prove himself against us. Quins are very very lucky to have him - and I genuinely believe for once we have handled this badly. Those of you on the Quins board - this is an excellent signing for you and one I believe we have mishandled - probably unintentionally - though there are those on this board who will hear no word against those in charge here.
Nonetheless it remains to be said - Nathan Earle - you are a very bright, talented, intelligent and charming young man and have been an absolute credit to this club and a real pleasure to know. I could not be more certain than to say that you will do well at Quins and almost certainly with England, but remember you are always welcome and we will always be happy to see you. Good luck - but you know that.

OldMarovian (IP Logged)
20 January, 2018 21:24
That's interesting but also disappointing BarnetSarries. Sounds like we both messed him around a bit and could have kept him with better communication.

I'd echo your other thoughts too.

Waldo (IP Logged)
21 January, 2018 08:36
Ditto

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net