rugbyunion
Latest News:
New Page 1

Whatever your views on Saracens, whether a Sarries fan or not, leave them here.

To leave a message on this board you must register. To register click HERE, it takes only a minute.
Non-rugby posts are welcome, but please prefix your subject header with "OT" or "Off Topic".

Thought for the Day:
CONGRATULATIONS TO THE SEVENS SQUAD -
1st SILVERWARE OF THE SEASON!

Latest: EXETER CHIEFS 10:27 SARACENS (Aviva Premiership Final)
Next: Bedford Blues v Saracens Sat 18th Aug Goldington Rd,
Audio: Click the link below. If it ain' there, it ain't on!
Upcoming TV:

BBC Online Rugby Union Commentaries

The Fish | Rugby Union News | Fez Boys | Saracens Fixtures | The SSA

Cardboard
RustySword (IP Logged)
28 January, 2018 11:20
Congratulations Saracens on replacing the polystyrene containers at the food outlets with cardboard. An insignificant measure on a global scale maybe, but if every organisation makes that one small step...

Next, the disposable drinking "glasses" (although, technically, that's a much harder problem).

Re: Cardboard
tpr's headmistress (IP Logged)
28 January, 2018 11:55
Not being a beer drinker - would it be possible to serve that in a cardboard cup too?(Sm159)

RustySword (IP Logged)
28 January, 2018 12:01
Liquids are wet, wet cardboard disintegrates. Hence the "cardboard" used in, say, disposable coffee cups contains polyethylene which makes them a non-recyclable environmental catastrophe.

Innings (IP Logged)
28 January, 2018 12:33
The only current sustainable resources option is to sell renewable cups, ask people to use them when buying a drink, and provide somewhere to rinse them between drinks, not in the toilets areas.

As RustySword notes, 'disposable' paper cups are the worst of all worlds.They need paper making, polyethylene making and then the process to bind them together. The end result is totally useless in recycling terms.

Innings

Points win matches: tries win hearts and minds.

AP (IP Logged)
28 January, 2018 12:41
It's all very much harder to be green than people have been led to believe - for instance, paper production uses a lot of water and chemicals that may make it scarcely better than some plastics. Recycling has been largely messed up in the UK and much of what has been collected is suitable only for shipping to China which no longer wants to accept it or to continental Europe for burning for energy production (they have more such plants now than they can support, apparently). Exporting our waste is hardly a green solution but in the UK nobody would want an incinerator energy plant in their back yard. Telling supermarkets to use far less plastic packaging is obviously good - but wait a moment, that means more food waste due to increased damage in transit and in store and shorter shelf life.

Reusable plastic beer glasses and coffee cups look like a good solution, at least until someone starts worrying about hygiene risks. Same with public water fountains!

I'm afraid it all needs far more thought than industry, governments or green campaigners seem capable of offering!

Successful hills are here to stay
Everything must be this way
Gentle streets where people play
Welcome to the Soft Parade

RustySword (IP Logged)
28 January, 2018 14:37
I would hope (although I don't know) that the less-than-presentation-quality card being used in the food containers is mostly from recycled paper. Regardless, it is at least biodegradable and hence will not contribute to poisoning the oceans for millennia.

AP (IP Logged)
28 January, 2018 18:15
I understood there to be significant practical difficulties in using recycled paper to produce new food packaging, because of the chemicals present in the paper that are potential contaminants. Plastics are easier in that regard!

But my point was that the issue is not solely that we have too much reliance on one use plastics, rather we don't have the mechanisms to ensure that waste is effectively recycled.

No doubt there's someone lurking on these boards who has real knowledge of the issues and can set us straight.

RustySword (IP Logged)
28 January, 2018 19:11
Yes I understood your point, but my point stands: regardless of the ins-and-outs of manufacturing and recycling, card is at least biodegradable!

AP (IP Logged)
28 January, 2018 20:18
So are a lot of other things that I wouldn't want anywhere near my food!

Waldo (IP Logged)
29 January, 2018 07:00
The Government are encouraging supermarkets to have free water fountains so folks can top up their water bottles - that could be extended to AzP for beer, wine & cider (Sm42)

mrangry (IP Logged)
29 January, 2018 07:42
The problem with disposable beer"glasses" is that many places do not allow proper glass- can be dangerous etc- and only serve flimsy plastic containers. The original AzP hard plastic handled glasses are ideal. They can be reused ( I am into my 4th season using one) and recycled, if people do not want to keep them. The original problem seemed to be too many threw them away and they were often not kept separately, allowing proper washing, sterilising etc. More therefore a problem of logistics than recycling. Stade Francais printed theors with pictures of their Championship winning squad the season after they won, so you could keep and collect, is that a possibility for us?..

Squawker2 (IP Logged)
29 January, 2018 07:48
My last three outings (all rather brisk days) to AzP, I have (clearly to enormous self difficulty) supported the wolf pack bus and enjoyed some wild pack ale before switching to thr lager.

Problem is, at least once on each occasion the ďglassĒ has sprung a leak - reducing my supply of beer and making me even colder.

I donít know if itís pure weakness from the flimsy things or whether they donít like the cold.

Asking to double glass my beer seems rather counterproductive ecologically - as said something like the original sarries pint glasses would be excellent!

-----------------------------------------------------

Stuart Barnes is a Cock Womble

RustySword (IP Logged)
29 January, 2018 08:29
I was under the impression that the re-useable plastic mugs were only issued for the Sarries Ale, and the various varieties of fizzy pish had always been served in the basic disposable beakers?

siNBin (IP Logged)
29 January, 2018 09:26
I have had a bamboo coffee cup which fits our high st branded coffee machine at work for the last 18 months and it is still going strong. A Sarries branded pint pot would be a great pressie for a lot of us. Tougher and lighter than glass but re-useable.

The problem is that for most of our lives we have been used to beer being served in transparent containers and we need to embrace the change.

Brighty_Fez (IP Logged)
29 January, 2018 12:49
I have always found if you ask for it to be poured into a plastic handled cup they will do.

Like at twickers, bath, saints and Leicester people pay £1 for the cup and can take it home or get a refund on it after the game. you see very few left after a game compared to us who when we did them on mass the first season didn't charge so they ended up in the bin (or my kitchen!!!!!!!!)

Squawker2 (IP Logged)
29 January, 2018 12:51
But wouldnít such a thing get unbelievably sticky - at least 8k or so leaving st once in a full game.

You couldnít put enough taps to allow a rinsing out if any significant fraction had them.

And while some people have short commutes so a quick chuck in dishwasher etc on return isnít a problem, anyone with tube travel or decent drive/trek makes it rather unviable

-----------------------------------------------------

Stuart Barnes is a Cock Womble

Waldo (IP Logged)
29 January, 2018 13:32
Well they do have that thing of taking 6 back and getting a free pint !

It's certainly an incentive for some to hoover them up .

mrangry (IP Logged)
29 January, 2018 15:37
Have 4 Sarries handled "mugs" two of which I bought, two "sceounged". All wash well at home after a two train journey of about an hour, no residual taste etc. Use for beer at home too, very useful. Might be an idea for merchandisaing. Never have 6 Waldo, just one refilled often, Wolfpack don't do freebies it seems.

JO'G (IP Logged)
29 January, 2018 15:53
Quote:
AP
It's all very much harder to be green than people have been led to believe - for instance, paper production uses a lot of water and chemicals that may make it scarcely better than some plastics. Recycling has been largely messed up in the UK and much of what has been collected is suitable only for shipping to China which no longer wants to accept it or to continental Europe for burning for energy production (they have more such plants now than they can support, apparently). Exporting our waste is hardly a green solution but in the UK nobody would want an incinerator energy plant in their back yard. Telling supermarkets to use far less plastic packaging is obviously good - but wait a moment, that means more food waste due to increased damage in transit and in store and shorter shelf life.
Reusable plastic beer glasses and coffee cups look like a good solution, at least until someone starts worrying about hygiene risks. Same with public water fountains!

I'm afraid it all needs far more thought than industry, governments or green campaigners seem capable of offering!

The sensible option is to encourage everyone to carry around drinking vessels which can be filled with ale and then taken home by the individual. But that's a bit eighteenth century.

29 January, 2018 17:43
May be they should get a Sarries' version of these

Pocket Pint

OldMarovian (IP Logged)
29 January, 2018 18:03
tpr's headmistress I used to have something similar over a decade ago for camping. The things ability to collapse whilst containing a beverage was quite impressive!

29 January, 2018 18:39
A good excuse to drink up quickly (and refill ....).(Sm128)

TonyTaff (IP Logged)
29 January, 2018 20:54
Jeremy,

That's what I do at Otley, and have done so for 15 years.
When they banned glass glasses from leaving the clubhouse and insisted one use flimsy plastic, I demanded a full pint in a glass glass, then decanted into a pewter pot, and waltzed past the Elf n Safety Gestapo at the entrance to the stand.

No risk of contamination to others, proper drinking experience for me, and not exactly an appalling chore to wash the thing up when I get home.

I have a large collection of pewter pots from my youthful sporting exploits - none of which relate to rugby, however!
Quote:
JO'G
Quote:
AP

The sensible option is to encourage everyone to carry around drinking vessels which can be filled with ale and then taken home by the individual. But that's a bit eighteenth century.

£676.97 (*) donated to the Saracens Foundation due to visits to the Sarries frontpage [www.rugbynetwork.net]

Please read and submit articles for publication. (*) As at October 31, 2017.

Wayoutwest (IP Logged)
30 January, 2018 09:56
I think some are missing the point with the Sarries stackable plastic cup that the club use.

It IS recyclable, washable and reusable. The club either wash and re use or if damaged they put it in the recycling bin.

Don't know if you have noticed the fans collecting the cups and taking them back to get the deposit back? That way they don't get put in landfill bins.

Seany_Boy0511 (IP Logged)
30 January, 2018 10:30
There is no reason Sarries cannot just give out those reusable handled mugs for all types of beer.... Or (without charging) use those plastic ntype ones you get at Twickenham... There is plenty big ways to cut waste on plastic and cardboard for that matter

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net