rugbyunion
Latest News:
New Page 1

Whatever your views on Saracens, whether a Sarries fan or not, leave them here.

To leave a message on this board you must register. To register click HERE, it takes only a minute.
Non-rugby posts are welcome, but please prefix your subject header with "OT" or "Off Topic".

Thought for the Day:
PROFESSEUR BARRITT'S FRENCH LESSON

Latest: SARACENS 29:10 LYON OU
Next: Saracens v Leicester Tigers Sat 27th Oct, 15.00 Allianz, PRC,
Audio: Click the link below. If it ain' there, it ain't on!
Upcoming TV: Saracens v Leicester Tigers, Sat 27th Oct 15.00 BT Sport 3

BBC Online Rugby Union Commentaries

The Fish | Rugby Union News | Fez Boys | Saracens Fixtures | The SSA

England squad announced
GazzaFez (IP Logged)
29 January, 2018 20:09
Eight Saracens players (excluding Billy), eight uncapped players and none from Glaws or Irish. Critical for us is who will we get back?

On the face of it Wasps (3rd) and Glaws (4th) seem to benefit the most from the 6N period. As usual we are worst hit even when taking into account likely returnees.

Anthony Watson (Bath Rugby)
Henry Thomas (Bath Rugby)
Jonathan Joseph (Bath Rugby)
Sam Underhill (Bath Rugby)
Tom Dunn (Bath Rugby)
Zach Mercer (Bath Rugby)

Alec Hepburn (Exeter Chiefs)
Harry Williams (Exeter Chiefs)
Jack Nowell (Exeter Chiefs)
Sam Simmonds (Exeter Chiefs)

Chris Robshaw (Harlequins)
Danny Care (Harlequins)
Joe Marler (Harlequins)
Lewis Boyce (Harlequins)
Marcus Smith (Harlequins)
Mike Brown (Harlequins)

Ben Youngs (Leicester Tigers)
Dan Cole (Leicester Tigers)
George Ford (Leicester Tigers)
Jonny May (Leicester Tigers)

Gary Graham (Newcastle Falcons)

Courtney Lawes (Northampton Saints)
Dylan Hartley (Northampton Saints)
Harry Mallinder (Northampton Saints)

Denny Solomona (Sale Sharks)

Alex Lozowski (Saracens)
George Kruis (Saracens)
Jamie George (Saracens)
Mako Vunipola (Saracens)
Maro Itoje (Saracens)
Nathan Earle (Saracens)
Nick Isiekwe (Saracens)
Owen Farrell (Saracens)

James Haskell (Wasps)
Joe Launchbury (Wasps)

Ben Teo (Worcester Warriors)

Re: England squad announced
The Bard (IP Logged)
29 January, 2018 20:41
But only one Sarrie in the U20 , Ben Earl

AP (IP Logged)
29 January, 2018 20:42
Well, I'm pleased that George Kruis and Ben Te'o are there.

Yes, it'll be challenging even if as many as four get released back to us.

Successful hills are here to stay
Everything must be this way
Gentle streets where people play
Welcome to the Soft Parade

OldMarovian (IP Logged)
29 January, 2018 20:59
Haskell and Marler are banned so I'm not sure I get why they're in the squad? I guess Marler might be needed for live scrummaging? Surely we have enough people to hold tackle-bags that Haskells "expertise" isn't required?

Proud of the Sarries players in the team and as others have said it will be interesting to see who we get back and as importantly the state we get them back in especially with a view to the QF shortly after the 6 Nations return.

GerryK (IP Logged)
30 January, 2018 08:01
Still do not understand how Mallinder made it into the squad, he has not produced anything of note for the saints all season

primavesi (IP Logged)
30 January, 2018 09:11
I think its about giving young players a chance to experience the setup, see how the react etc. Last thing you want further down the line is to be drafting in players to cover for injuries and they have never even met half the squad.

Seany_Boy0511 (IP Logged)
30 January, 2018 10:33
Due to injuries the only players I can see coming back realistically is Lozowski and maybe one of either Isiekwe or Kruis.... That's assuming we don't get either Maitland or Taylor back from Scotland

AlanE (IP Logged)
30 January, 2018 11:00
...and Tolofua from France.

I was 17 miles from Graybridge before I was caught by the school leopard

GazzaFez (IP Logged)
30 January, 2018 12:27
Quote:
OldMarovian
Haskell and Marler are banned so I'm not sure I get why they're in the squad?

Both of them will be available (i.e their bans will have expired) after the first two matches. I guess Marler is there on merit but in my view Haskell is past his sell-by date. Much better options available so I think he's just taking up a squad place now.

For better or for worse, I wouldn't be surprised to see Maro playing at 6 for England more often than not. I think EJ just likes the flexibility it brings him when it comes to bringing the subs on.

Wayoutwest (IP Logged)
30 January, 2018 12:38
Only 4 from Exeter....That's a blow. We need them as knackered as our players will be at the end of the season!

TonyTaff (IP Logged)
30 January, 2018 15:19
Haskell is half of the Brains Trust, there to counteract any tricks that Conor's men might play (Sm22)

676.97 (*) donated to the Saracens Foundation due to visits to the Sarries frontpage [www.rugbynetwork.net]

Please read and submit articles for publication. (*) As at October 31, 2017.

Matty Sarrie (IP Logged)
30 January, 2018 20:53
Quote:
AlanE
...and Tolofua from France.

The FFR have tonight said that Tolofua is out of the Six Nations with a neck injury (Sm10)

Harrow Sarrie (IP Logged)
30 January, 2018 21:13
Anyone know when Britsy is due back?

paulglynn (IP Logged)
31 January, 2018 00:14
Hopefully asap

PotNoodleHorn (IP Logged)
31 January, 2018 07:39
Quote:
Harrow Sarrie
Anyone know when Britsy is due back?

Not sure you'll see him until March / April

RustySword (IP Logged)
31 January, 2018 09:47
Apparently Can't Pass, Won't Pass has recovered so that frees up Whatnot to play on the wing and hopefully increases our chance of seeing Nathan back at some point.

Saraken (IP Logged)
31 January, 2018 10:11
Brits said at the Dragons game that it could be a couple of weeks

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 31/01/2018 10:15 by Saraken.

GazzaFez (IP Logged)
31 January, 2018 11:59
Quote:
TonyTaff
Haskell is half of the Brains Trust, there to counteract any tricks that Conor's men might play (Sm22)

The Hask has just announced he is leaving Wasps at the end of the season when he's out of contact. Aged 32 my guess is a pension trip to possibly Bristol or France.

primavesi (IP Logged)
31 January, 2018 12:42
He is making a fortune from his book so he doesnt really need a pension trip but he would be a great signing for Bristol in my opinion.

Innings (IP Logged)
31 January, 2018 13:09
He might to go on playing rugby for a year or two more, even if not at the highest level, because he loves the game, which has defined his whole life. He'd like the added bonus of the money from his books, but that might be less of a short-term driver than you cynics would like to believe.

Innings

Points win matches: tries win hearts and minds.

TonyTaff (IP Logged)
31 January, 2018 13:19
I'm intrigued. What appeal does the book offer?

This is a serious question, but comedic responses are also welcome. I will try to distinguish the two!

676.97 (*) donated to the Saracens Foundation due to visits to the Sarries frontpage [www.rugbynetwork.net]

Please read and submit articles for publication. (*) As at October 31, 2017.

primavesi (IP Logged)
31 January, 2018 13:37
I have no doubt that he loves the game Innings, I just mean that when he picks his next club it does not necessarily have to be for a big payoff.

TT, his book is a fitness and nutrition book, called rugby fit. Its a 12 week exercise and nutrition program. I have been following his youtube channel for a few years and done some of the workouts. They are actually quite good.

GazzaFez (IP Logged)
31 January, 2018 16:16
Quote:
The Bard
But only one Sarrie in the U20 , Ben Earl

Announced as U20 captain.

Nick Isiekwe is still U20 qualified but has obviously moved up several steps in one go. A lot of our other England U20 players are now just a few months over the age limit e.g Max Mallins and Dom Morris but they both had a couple of years in the U20s.

GazzaFez (IP Logged)
31 January, 2018 19:01
Nick Isiekwe and Alex Lozowski are NOT retained by Eddie Jones.

The other six are. The announcement doesn't seem to explicitly state that they are released back to the club, but I can only assume that they are. Obviously doesn't make any difference for this coming weekend though.

Dolph42 (IP Logged)
31 January, 2018 20:41
England can only retain 25 players past Thursday of a Test week so yes the other players are all released.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net