rugbyunion
Latest News:
New Page 1

Whatever your views on Saracens, whether a Sarries fan or not, leave them here.

To leave a message on this board you must register. To register click HERE, it takes only a minute.
Non-rugby posts are welcome, but please prefix your subject header with "OT" or "Off Topic".

Thought for the Day:
HE WHO CONQUERS HIMSELF IS THE MIGHTIEST WARRIOR

Latest: GLASGOW WARRIORS 3:13 SARACENS
Next: Saracens v Lyon Sat 20th Oct, 17.30 Allianz,
Audio: Click the link below. If it ain' there, it ain't on!
Upcoming TV: Saracens v Lyon, Sat 20th Oct 17.15 BT Sport 2

BBC Online Rugby Union Commentaries

The Fish | Rugby Union News | Fez Boys | Saracens Fixtures | The SSA

Anglo-Welsh Cup
AP (IP Logged)
02 February, 2018 06:08
BT are showing the Saints - Quins game tonight. If Saints win this, they definitely win our pool. Saints have ten points, Worcester and we have seven points.

While other permutations are possible, we probably need (i) Saints to lose, or draw without a try bonus point, (ii) Sarries to gain a bonus point win over Exeter, and (iii) Worcester not to get a bonus point win or, if they do, we score four more tries than they do.

Hope springs eternal!

Successful hills are here to stay
Everything must be this way
Gentle streets where people play
Welcome to the Soft Parade

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/02/2018 06:09 by AP.

Re: Anglo-Welsh Cup
The Bard (IP Logged)
02 February, 2018 09:48
Saints gone in full strength, would be amazed if they donít win by several

Waldo (IP Logged)
02 February, 2018 11:04
Yeah but the Quins team isn't too shabby .

Quins: 15 Aaron Morris 14 Ross Chisholm 13 Joe Marchant 12 Henry Cheeseman 11 Alofa Alofa 10 James Lang 9 Dave Lewis 1 Mark Lambert 2 Joe Gray 3 Josh McNulty 4 Stan South 5 James Horwill 6 Archie White 7 Luke Wallace 8 James Chisholm (capt) Replacements 16 Charlie Piper 17 Cameron Holenstein 18 Josh Ibuanokpe 19 Sam Twomey 20 Mat Luamanu 21 Jono Kitto 22 Ian Prior 23 Cadan Murley

Come on Quins !

ninjafez (IP Logged)
02 February, 2018 13:58
trying to pick a team to root for is almost like this yearws superbowl...

Ninjafez - supporting Sarries and cleaning their signs since 2006!

JO'G (IP Logged)
02 February, 2018 15:38
I'm expecting a Saints win with a Quins losing bonus point

basically finishing off both pools

Seany_Boy0511 (IP Logged)
02 February, 2018 17:22
Saints need this to keep their season credible out of Europe and going to struggle to get top 6... Can fully understand why they have gone full strength

stevieR (IP Logged)
02 February, 2018 20:07
19-0 at 28 mins

stevieR (IP Logged)
02 February, 2018 20:09
BP for Saints at 30 mins

AP (IP Logged)
02 February, 2018 20:28
26 - 5 at half time - Come On You Quins!

Now I'll wash my mouth out.

Successful hills are here to stay
Everything must be this way
Gentle streets where people play
Welcome to the Soft Parade

Highbury Saracen (IP Logged)
02 February, 2018 21:19
This is a pointless competition unless all participating sides have some restrictions on who plays

European champions 2016 & 2017

fatheralice (IP Logged)
02 February, 2018 21:52
There are plenty of faults in the competition,

My main gripes are

# Welsh sides add nothing -they have got worse year on year - Not really blaming them, as they have so denuded of personnel when the matches take place
# Losing BP should not be in place as there is no incentive for the winning team to prevent them. If they are to be retained, then I think that the French system of 3 clear tries would be a much better idea in this format, as it keeps both teams honest.
# Officiating can be very average - with a lack of technology at many games making things even more random.
# Discrepancy in squad selection is also a problem, -although I don't mind this too much - different teams are in different stages of their evolution, and have differing injury loads etc. It is clearly not a top tier competition, but it has a value for the better managed sides.

Personally, I would rather see a proper competitive A league programme, but the way some teams treats that suggests that is a long way off. That said, I can't see the AW Cup competition lasting once the season restructuring finally gets sorted.

GazzaFez (IP Logged)
02 February, 2018 23:27
So a dead rubber for us tomorrow then. All the more frustrating as Wuss actually lost to Dragons, which I didn't see happening. Had Saints not won, then we'd have had everything to play for. The only prize now is pride and preventing Chiefs from getting a win with a TBP to stop them going through.

The cynics will have already noted of course that allowing them to progress keeps them tied up on two fronts for a bit longer. smoking smiley

Seany_Boy0511 (IP Logged)
03 February, 2018 08:29
Quote:
GazzaFez
So a dead rubber for us tomorrow then. All the more frustrating as Wuss actually lost to Dragons, which I didn't see happening. Had Saints not won, then we'd have had everything to play for. The only prize now is pride and preventing Chiefs from getting a win with a TBP to stop them going through.
Exeter will probably win by about 11 or so points if not more, I'd rather is beat them at sandy Park next month, than worrybl to much about today, it will be good for the youngsters to gain some experience against a strong Exeter team, they should go out there and enjoy themselves throw the ball around and see what happens

The cynics will have already noted of course that allowing them to progress keeps them tied up on two fronts for a bit longer. smoking smiley

GazzaFez (IP Logged)
03 February, 2018 15:34
Well and truly a dead rubber now

Chiefs have a TBP after 26 minutes.

Sully08 (IP Logged)
03 February, 2018 15:46
Not quite dead yet. Exeter pressing for a fifth try but Sarries breakaway and after couple of line outs Malins breaks through to score. Unconverted due to tough wind but that is with Sarries in second half ...

Highbury Saracen (IP Logged)
03 February, 2018 15:51
26-15 HT

European champions 2016 & 2017

OldMarovian (IP Logged)
03 February, 2018 16:01
Mallins missing 3 from 3 kicks. Weather is tricky at SP and I don't know the position of the kicks but it was an issue for him last week too so something to work on?

fatheralice (IP Logged)
03 February, 2018 19:39
Quote:
OldMarovian
Mallins missing 3 from 3 kicks. Weather is tricky at SP and I don't know the position of the kicks but it was an issue for him last week too so something to work on?

All out wide with a strong wind blowing from the corner he was kicking from. Wouldn't worry too much about his kicking based on that - just get the team to score nearer the posts in future!

Matty Sarrie (IP Logged)
03 February, 2018 21:21
As has been noted above, Malin's three kicks were all very difficult. Kicking into a very strong wind first half - his first one hit the post though. Overall, I thought Malins was superb actually.

Notable mentions to Daniel Temm, who I thought was our best player. Tom Whiteley looked very good too, scored an excellent try. Three of our tries were fantastic - very high skill levels amongst this group, if not the size to cope with Exeter today. We started both halves very slowly, but the second 20 of the first half and 60-70 mins we looked good.

McElroy's throwing remains an issue - two botched line outs in the first half (both straight over Flanagan's head) led pretty much directly to Chiefs tries.

OldMarovian (IP Logged)
04 February, 2018 09:52
Thanks Fatheralice and Matty good to know.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net