rugbyunion
Latest News:
New Page 1

Whatever your views on Saracens, whether a Sarries fan or not, leave them here.

To leave a message on this board you must register. To register click HERE, it takes only a minute.
Non-rugby posts are welcome, but please prefix your subject header with "OT" or "Off Topic".

Thought for the Day:
TWICKERS HERE WE COME!

Latest: SARACENS 57:33 WASPS
Next SARACENS v EXETER CHIEFS
Sat 26th May 15.00, Twickenham (Aviva Premiership Final)
Audio: Click the link below. If it ain' there, it ain't on!
Upcoming TV: BT Sport Saracens v Exeter Chiefs Aviva Premiership Final 26 May

BBC Online Rugby Union Commentaries

The Fish | Rugby Union News | Fez Boys | Saracens Fixtures | The SSA

Team v Italy..
1876-Fez (IP Logged)
02 February, 2018 09:22
Starting 15
15 Mike Brown (Harlequins 64 caps)
14 Anthony Watson (Bath Rugby 28 caps)
13 Ben Teo (Worcester Warriors 8 caps)
12 Owen Farrell (Saracens 53 caps)
11 Jonny May (Leicester Tigers 29 caps)
10 George Ford (Leicester Tigers 40 caps)
9 Ben Youngs (Leicester Tigers 73 caps)

1 Mako Vunipola (Saracens 44 caps)
2 Dylan Hartley (Northampton Saints 89 caps)
3 Dan Cole (Leicester Tigers 77 caps)
4 Joe Launchbury (Wasps 47 caps)
5 Maro Itoje (Saracens 14 caps)
6 Courtney Lawes (Northampton Saints 61 caps)
7 Chris Robshaw (Harlequins 59 caps)
8 Sam Simmonds (Exeter Chiefs 3 caps)

Finishers
16 Jamie George (Saracens 20 caps)
17 Alec Hepburn (Exeter Chiefs uncapped)
18 Harry Williams (Exeter Chiefs 5 caps)
19 George Kruis (Saracens 21 caps)
20 Sam Underhill (Bath Rugby 3 caps)
21 Danny Care (Harlequins 76 caps)
22 Jonathan Joseph (Bath Rugby 35 caps)
23 Jack Nowell (Exeter Chiefs 23 caps)

SUPPORT Help for Heroes:
Help for Heroes

Re: Team v Italy..
1876-Fez (IP Logged)
02 February, 2018 09:24
Well done Faz, Mako, Maro, Jamie and George...

SUPPORT Help for Heroes:
Help for Heroes

Seany_Boy0511 (IP Logged)
02 February, 2018 13:30
Strong Team well done to all Sarries, but personally I'd would have put Watson at full back, Nowell on the wing and Earle on the bench... and would have started Jamie George (I know why he's started with Hartley though as you want your team captain on for the start) Otherwise strong enough to get a bonus point win in Italy

primavesi (IP Logged)
02 February, 2018 13:59
Considering all the talk of injuries that is a strong looking team.

As its Italy I would have liked them to try Teo and Joseph together at 12/13 but Jones likes his 2 playmakers and it has worked well for him so who am I to argue.

Nobody has won 3 in a row before - now would be a good time to make some history!

Dolph42 (IP Logged)
02 February, 2018 14:21
England are actually in good shape in terms of availability (no idea whether players are actually 100% or being held together with plasters!). From the injured/unavailable list I'd only bring in Billy to start, Marler on the bench and Daly probably starting, 3 Lions admittedly but not that bad.

JO'G (IP Logged)
02 February, 2018 15:29
didn't we discover under Lancaster that playing a 12 (Brad) at 13 doesn't work if the play is switched to the outside at pace -the 12 doesn't understand the need to focus on realignment to the outside pass as his natural defence is to stop someone coming through him

I'm surprised that EJ makes the same mistake - as i'm sure the other coaches won't miss the opportunity

Park team from London
Just a park team from London
European Champions
Just European champions

Seany_Boy0511 (IP Logged)
02 February, 2018 17:48
I think Ben Te'o would be able to cope with the pace at 13 to be honest, he's a quality player and if fit deserves to start although Joseph would be equally effective at 13

OldMarovian (IP Logged)
02 February, 2018 19:20
Well done the Sarries boys. Like the look of the backrow given the injury situation and good to see Te'o given a run at 13 although I still think he'd be better one further in.

The rest is the normal insipid, conservative Jones stuff. Some really exciting, forward-looking selections in the Celtic squads.

F-F-F-FEZ (IP Logged)
02 February, 2018 22:39
Apparently Italy are going for the "Hartley laws challenge" test again. Can't wait to see what they come up with this time and hope that our boys don't look quite so confused as last time.
England to win 6N but lose to Ireland on Super Saturday.

primavesi (IP Logged)
05 February, 2018 14:30
As there is never a thread about England games when they play well ill use this one..

I thought overall it was a really good performance. Scrum was strong which is a potential area of weakness. The Ford/Farrell combo produced some really good backs moves, although hopefully we have not shown all our cards and still have a few things up our sleeves for the games to come. Excellent finishing for a lot of the tries (both teams) and from Watson in particular, justifying Jones decision to play him at wing over full back. Sam Simmonds played well - he was perfect for a game like that but I worry how he will do against the bigger packs like the French. Either way, it is good that he is getting a chance now rather than at a world cup etc.

With Wales getting a good result as well at the weekend it sets things up beautifully for Saturday. England will rightly go in as favorites but will need to tighten up defensively.

Great 1st weekend of the tournament.

Harbinger (IP Logged)
05 February, 2018 15:09
I guess with Ben Youngs going out, we will probably lose Wiggy as well

Huxley (IP Logged)
05 February, 2018 15:11
Agreed. In the past I've questioned Ford's inclusion, but thought he was excellent, both he and Faz work so well together. The only negative for me was how easily England were pulled apart when Italy went "wide wide". interestingly, big Jim pointed this out as a chink in sarries system too, hopefully all other teams won't notice....

Not sure who the Scrum Halves are in the EPS, but with Youngs possibly out, will Wiggy or Ben get a call up? Personally think Robson should be in the England mix, but I'm not sure that Yoda is convinced by him, and possibly too similar to Care. Can't see Yoda throwing an uncapped player into a big games against Wales, so Wiggy seems a strong possibility.

primavesi (IP Logged)
05 February, 2018 15:27
Id say most likely thing is that Care will be asked to play 80 minutes which I dont think he will have too many problems doing.

I agree, Ben or Robson would probably make more sense that Wiggy for the backup spot, but yes it would be a huge game to be thrown into.

Sarriebone (IP Logged)
05 February, 2018 15:33
Depends what Jones wants from a replacement, he already has a fast paced scrum half in Care. Would he rather a replacement that offers a bit more control as Youngs does, i.e a Wiggy rather than a Spencer?

Eric Browett (IP Logged)
05 February, 2018 15:34
Wiggy would not bring impact off the bench if the match was tight or we were losing, although obviously he can close out a game. In my opinion if you pick him you start him, or you go for Robson from the bench.

JO'G (IP Logged)
05 February, 2018 15:37
my only issue was teo at 13 being unused to defending with a winger out wide. As expec5ted his natural instinct is to defend the player running at him, rather than pushing him out and shuffling across.

Felt all Italy's good moves came from this and we would be in trouble playing the same way against Wales

Park team from London
European Champions
Just European champions

GazzaFez (IP Logged)
05 February, 2018 15:39
Jones says he has already contacted a possible replacement who will be a "kicking half-back".

(Sm111)

Jim 55 (IP Logged)
05 February, 2018 15:41
Quote:
GazzaFez
Jones says he has already contacted a possible replacement who will be a "kicking half-back".
(Sm111)

Ouch......

Harbinger (IP Logged)
05 February, 2018 15:48
couple of weeks ago Eddie listed the spare 9's as Wiggy, Robson and Vellacot. Not sure if he meant in that order.
Big game though - you would have to go with experience just in case anything happened to Care.

GazzaFez (IP Logged)
05 February, 2018 15:55
With less than 5 days to go before the kick-off you would have to say it all points to Wiggy getting called up. All else being equal his familiarity with so many of the England team from Sarries, not least of all Faz, makes him the safest choice. If there was longer to prepare the decision might be different. We should expect to hear very shortly I reckon.

GazzaFez (IP Logged)
05 February, 2018 15:57
Right on time.......from the RFU......

"England head coach Eddie Jones has named a 32-man squad to begin preparations for their second NatWest 6 Nations match against Wales on Saturday 10 February.

The England squad arrived back in London on Monday afternoon from Rome following their 46-15 win against Italy in the opening round of the tournament.

Saracens scrum half Richard Wigglesworth has been added to the squad following an injury to Ben Youngs, with Exeter Chiefs hooker Luke Cowan-Dickie also coming in.

Wasps No 8 Nathan Hughes will come into camp this week to be assessed on when he is likely to be available to play during the championship."

Huxley (IP Logged)
05 February, 2018 16:01
Well, that didn't take long to solve then!

It's a real shame Taylor is out because I think him and Ben are a great combination of 9s.

GazzaFez (IP Logged)
05 February, 2018 16:07
Just noticed that we have 8 in the squad again only this time Loz is not included and obviously Wiggy is in.

So as far as Saturday is concerned that probably suits us better - although sad for Loz, at least he'll get a game now.

OldMarovian (IP Logged)
05 February, 2018 16:56
Is LCD just for a look-see or can we expect George back?

GazzaFez (IP Logged)
05 February, 2018 17:09
Quote:
OldMarovian
Is LCD just for a look-see or can we expect George back?

I can't see EJ dropping his captain or Jamie for that matter so you must be right.

AP (IP Logged)
05 February, 2018 19:13
May be one of them is carrying a slight injury?

Successful hills are here to stay
Everything must be this way
Gentle streets where people play
Welcome to the Soft Parade

JO'G (IP Logged)
06 February, 2018 10:38
I thought Hartley played his best game for England (or in fact anyone) since the RWCup

I'll qualify that by limiting this to the ones I've seen him play - although I've seen a fair few Saints games on BT Sport

Park team from London
European Champions
Just European champions

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net