rugbyunion
Latest News:
New Page 1

Whatever your views on Saracens, whether a Sarries fan or not, leave them here.

To leave a message on this board you must register. To register click HERE, it takes only a minute.
Non-rugby posts are welcome, but please prefix your subject header with "OT" or "Off Topic".

Thought for the Day:
TWICKERS HERE WE COME!

Latest: SARACENS 57:33 WASPS
Next SARACENS v EXETER CHIEFS
Sat 26th May 15.00, Twickenham (Aviva Premiership Final)
Audio: Click the link below. If it ain' there, it ain't on!
Upcoming TV: BT Sport Saracens v Exeter Chiefs Aviva Premiership Final 26 May

BBC Online Rugby Union Commentaries

The Fish | Rugby Union News | Fez Boys | Saracens Fixtures | The SSA

Saracens Accounts 2016/7 season
ninjafez (IP Logged)
04 February, 2018 22:14
Ok folks, so bit tardy on this, metesh filed few days ago for last season. The good is that we made yet again a less of a loss than 15/6, coming in at £2.6m compared to last filings £3.1.... Again steady Eddie but not a giant step.

Quick notes (figures are majorly rounded and indicative lol)

* Revenue is up £2m but costs also climbed hence only £500k improved

* West stand development noted as well as confirming that the high performance centre will be at Alban's based

* betsafe and ohs sponsorship will be in next year's accounts but I would say that we have to take the 300k hit on the botched home euro tie. To make another jump we really need to secure a home semi and expand to 15 to max it out for the prem.

* The total revenue split is approx 70% match day / 30% azp events and merch/sponsorship. It was around £17m in total

* Home attendance for the year was up to 94% of full capacity of 10k on average, I will let you guys calculate that lol

I will have to check this has I have only blitz read it so EO&E

Following post is the chairman's statement in full...

Ninjafez - supporting Sarries and cleaning their signs since 2006!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/02/2018 22:24 by ninjafez.

Re: Saracens Accounts 2016/7 season
ninjafez (IP Logged)
04 February, 2018 22:18
Our benevolent deity states:

Dear shareholder
Another year has passed during which your Saracens team became Double European Champidns, winning on a magical night in Edinburgh, against a very good Clermont Auvergne side, the Champions Cup for the second year running.
Now it's always nice to be the underdog, I like that, but the reality is if you want to win things you can't be the underdog! So, today justifiably we find and will continue to find that sides lift their game when playing us and the going therefore gets harder not easier. Sport in fact is a journey in which there is no arrival point!! You can always get better and the moment you forget that, you are gone.
As a club, we were also exceptionally proud to provide 6 members of the first British Lions side to come out of New Zealand with a result since 1971. It would of, course, have probably been 7 had Billy Vunipola not been injured. That's a fabulous honour for both the Club and the players, of course, but it does bring with it its own problems. The problems of significant success, such as we have enjoyed in recent years under our thoroughly admirable coaching team, mean that to retain our world-class players, (virtually all home produced, incidentally!) who quite logically attract the attention of other clubs, becomes an art form in its own right. Fortunately, we have a very good group of internally generated players who are not just fellow teammates but are good 'mates '. Their success has come as a group and as a group they can go on to achieve much in the years ahead as their closeness grows and grows. And it is also that culture, which they have created, which in due course is being handed down to the younger players coming through, who in turn will carry the future of the club. But in a Premier Rugby where there is very little financial reward for success — revenue essentially being divided by the 12 clubs — In fact you're rather penalised, so it's difficult! And needs to be changed!

Despite that, the financial results as you can see have improved a little but we have to continue to invest so I don't think from where we are at the moment that we will see much improvement in the year ahead. Against that, and at a value not recorded on the balance sheet, the Saracens brand continues to grow worldwide and is held in growing repute. The recognition of the name and the respect in which it is held has never been stronger. But that of course is no reason to let up on our efforts to get better and better.
We have ahead of us the difficult period when we lose up to 10 players to the international game, but that does offer the rest of the squad the opportunity to step up to the plate and prove their worth at the highest level. Nonetheless it's a massive reason as to why after over 20 years of professional rugby the season is still a mess. Our fans naturally want to see the best players playing for Saracens and by the way our win percentage is far higher outside the international period, not a surprise that!

It goes without saying that the welfare of our players is paramount. That's why we have a strict rotation policy so that no one is overplayed, and we also maintain a medical department and a strength and conditioning department that is probably the most numerous in the Premiership, in order that the players get the best possible attention. We also, as you know, have a very strong player development policy which concentrates not just on giving extra education, extra skills and a greater understanding for life after rugby but also, we think, creates better people who are better players.
We are also very keen to try and introduce into rugby some scheme whereby there is a transitional year at the end of the player's career where he for that final year receives a lower salary, of course, but bridges the huge gap from that top salary as a player, to the more normal industry average which is dramatically lower. This, of course, has to have a dispensation under the wage cap but to us seems essential.

Our community work continues to grow, largely under the banner of the outstanding Saracens Foundation. I never cease to admire the work done there for disadvantaged kids, for youngsters in prison, where their work there has achieved remarkable stats in reducing reoffending rates and reintroducing kids to society. Not to mention the wonderful people working every Monday at Allianz Park with autism and of course not forgetting the 35 or more dance classes for all ages that the Foundation organises. Remarkable stuff that, under the good people that run it, it will absolutely continue.

Our venue at Allianz Park continues to grow in commercial terms and we now have a very good business in
conferences, weddings, exhibitions, all in beautiful parkland surroundings, with plenty of parking, remarkable communications with the M1 down the end of the lane, the M25 10 minutes away and the North Circular on our doorstep. And at this point it would be remiss not to mention the ongoing role of Allianz themselves who've continually supported us in making Allianz Park the wonderful home of Saracens, and indeed the local community, that it has become.
At Allianz Park, we now have planning permission to replace the old West stand with a beautiful new facility providing the necessary content that will hopefully keep us at the top of European rugby and the top of working for the community of Barnet around us. Similarly, we are striving hard to complete on premises where we will be able to create a high-class performance centre for our wonderful players who give so much for this, their club. Sadly, as has been said by many people many times, getting planning permission in the south-east is not easy and that's an understatement!

In today's world, every corporation in the land has to have a social responsibility policy, has to demonstrate what it's actually doing for its community. People want to know what their company stands for. Sport has a massive role to play in this regard, witness President Mandela's phrase "sport speaks to youth in a language they can understand". Rugby at Allianz Park, even judged by opposition supporters is set in a family friendly environment often remarked upon. As well as having a great team, crucial of course, that environment should appeal to more and more corporate sponsors as a vehicle to enhance their own brand and, of course, to broadcasters. Here I would venture to suggest that the landscape is going to change dramatically over the next 5 to 10 years. Sky and BT are excellent but Amazon, Apple, Google, Facebook etc. are massive and have yet to make their presence felt in sport. They will! Amidst that new environment I can see Saracens thriving hugely, both in brand terms and in financial terms from that new landscape to come. It's taken 20 years to get where we are today, the next 5 to 10 years is going to achieve far more than that, that's the way of the world.
We have, we believe, a unique Brand positioning in rugby, standing for (the very words written on the stands at Allianz Park, in fact) ... honesty, hard work, discipline and humility plus, if I may add, a strong desire to work well with our community. More and more this will fit exactly with the aims and values of our existing world class sponsors, of potential sponsors, broadcasters and of course the community itself. Stick to those values and the future is exciting!
We are nowhere near the finished article, we know that, but we do believe we are headed in the right direction.

All good wishes
Nigel Wray

VR1997 (IP Logged)
05 February, 2018 07:52
Many thanks Ninjafez.

Mobbs (IP Logged)
05 February, 2018 10:40
Bearing in mind Nigel Wray's comments about planning permission, could somebody confirm whether or not the perception that Sarries are not allowed to play at AP on a friday night, is correct or not. I understand that Exeter are under a similar restriction due to the proximity of the M5.... not that the same applies to Worcester !

GazzaFez (IP Logged)
05 February, 2018 11:24
Quote:
Mobbs
Bearing in mind Nigel Wray's comments about planning permission, could somebody confirm whether or not the perception that Sarries are not allowed to play at AP on a friday night, is correct or not. I understand that Exeter are under a similar restriction due to the proximity of the M5.... not that the same applies to Worcester !

Correct. It is tied up with but not limited to the traffic management plan, the shuttle bus facility and the enforcement of the local Saracens CPZ - which only operates on Saturday and Sunday between 1pm and 6pm.

ninjafez (IP Logged)
05 February, 2018 11:36
Quote:
GazzaFez
Quote:
Mobbs

Correct. It is tied up with but not limited to the traffic management plan, the shuttle bus facility and the enforcement of the local Saracens CPZ - which only operates on Saturday and Sunday between 1pm and 6pm.

Indeed it was one of hte first planning constraints outside the stadia thathe concil dindt wnat to make the M1/A41 juction crazier than it already is on friday night, although we are able to hold evens with less than a planned 3k attenenced on a friday, the CPZ would still not be in operation. for example, singa 7s, england u20 and england womens have taken place on a friday night.

JO'G (IP Logged)
05 February, 2018 14:26
Om another perhaps related topic - evidently Rupert is funding an academy in South Africa run by Ernst (give me 50) Joubert

whether the costs are from out accounts (and perhaps counts as our own academy as per Monpellier) or Ruperts own pocket were unclear

Park team from London
Just a park team from London
European Champions
Just European champions

Mobbs (IP Logged)
05 February, 2018 17:48
Gazza/Ninja

Thanks for the info !

saracen1971 (IP Logged)
05 February, 2018 20:21
Another 500k trimmed.. at this rate we shall be breaking even on season costs in 4 or 5 years.

I know there has been massive investment in the stadium etc but hey if that's how Nigel wants to spend his kids inheritance that's fine by me.

Now if everyone gets there early stays at AzP longer and uses the on site concessions we craved for years then the haters will have one less reason and we will be even more secure as a business

Graeme D (IP Logged)
05 February, 2018 20:31
Quote:
ninjafez
take the 300k hit on the botched home euro tie.

I understand we get a decent percentage of the gate money at Dublin so might not be a hit .

Innings (IP Logged)
06 February, 2018 13:12
As NW said some years ago: Some people spend their money on private islands, I spend mine on this project.

Innings

Points win matches: tries win hearts and minds.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net