rugbyunion
Latest News:
New Page 1

Whatever your views on Saracens, whether a Sarries fan or not, leave them here.

To leave a message on this board you must register. To register click HERE, it takes only a minute.
Non-rugby posts are welcome, but please prefix your subject header with "OT" or "Off Topic".

Thought for the Day:
TWICKERS HERE WE COME!

Latest: SARACENS 57:33 WASPS
Next SARACENS v EXETER CHIEFS
Sat 26th May 15.00, Twickenham (Aviva Premiership Final)
Audio: Click the link below. If it ain' there, it ain't on!
Upcoming TV: BT Sport Saracens v Exeter Chiefs Aviva Premiership Final 26 May

BBC Online Rugby Union Commentaries

The Fish | Rugby Union News | Fez Boys | Saracens Fixtures | The SSA

England and Mike Brown
Jim 55 (IP Logged)
10 February, 2018 18:41
For all the stick we give him I thought he had a great game. Well done to him and the rest of the England team. Hard work but they got there in the end.

Re: England and Mike Brown
1876-Fez (IP Logged)
10 February, 2018 18:43
Hmmmm yes I must agree.
Got there eventually.... but need to improve a lot before the Ireland game..

SUPPORT Help for Heroes:
Help for Heroes

Huxley (IP Logged)
10 February, 2018 18:43
Agreed, but no way was he man of the match, Faz was everywhere.

Saracens23 (IP Logged)
10 February, 2018 18:54
Faz is excellent, but Mike Brown for me today was MOTM.

GazzaFez (IP Logged)
10 February, 2018 19:03
We all called Faz as MOTM as well although I thought Brown did have one of his better games.

Don't forget it was a very proud moment for the club to have all six Saracens players on the pitch at the same time at the end of the game, although I believe we have had 7 before now.

England certainly had the rub of the green though with some very tight calls going our way.

Squawker2 (IP Logged)
10 February, 2018 20:07
The bleeding of penalties was trrrible - uncle Eddie will not be happy

-----------------------------------------------------

Stuart Barnes is a Cock Womble

The Bard (IP Logged)
10 February, 2018 20:23
Brown was good at what he usually does, but a mile from MOM.

David@Sarries (IP Logged)
10 February, 2018 21:16
I think that Wales made Brown look good through their poor kicking game. I’ also believe that he was not MOTM.

riverlodge (IP Logged)
10 February, 2018 21:51
Saint in peace (any other way?) but IMHO Faz bossed today by a distance and was clear MVP.
Mike Brown caught the ball.... wow!

Jim 55 (IP Logged)
10 February, 2018 22:08
Quote:
Jim 55
For all the stick we give him I thought he had a great game. Well done to him and the rest of the England team. Hard work but they got there in the end.

I do think he played very well and to be fair we are always looking for his co*k ups which means we can be somewhat reluctant to see what is in front of us. He played very well but in reality he wasn't man of the maatch, there were many others who could and should have been chosen. Perhaps those that chose him were just as delighted and astonished to see him doing quite so well?

BarnetSarrie (IP Logged)
10 February, 2018 22:18
Man of the match? Do me a favour.
If you want to see a full back - a real one - controlling a game - making yards, communicating with his team and directing them, reading the play and the space - then watch the lesson in excellence that was Goodey today. I am sorry, but Brown may have had one of his better games, but he is certainly not the best full back in this country. Man of the match - ? No. Did he have a good game - yes he did, but then he bloody well should as England Full Back.

OldMarovian (IP Logged)
10 February, 2018 23:09
Quote:
The Bard
Brown was good at what he usually does, but a mile from MOM.

^ This. He was his usual self in attack. Running away from support towards contact and not bothering to pass. That he was rock solid in defence and under the high ball (bar one) was vital in this game but the rest of his game remains sub-International standard.

Jones got very lucky and I hope it makes him reflect on some poor selection and the continued backing he's giving to players who peaked a while ago.

King Zak (IP Logged)
11 February, 2018 00:12
Jones has one thing correct, England’s leader does have a 2 on his back - but it’s preceded by 1. Time for EJ to recognise this and then get the best English hooker on the pitch from the start!

Nous sommes l'armée noir et rouge !

Coughie (IP Logged)
11 February, 2018 06:16
Discussion reminds me of the Faltering Fullback from Finsbury Park. Must consider the Brown/Goode selection issue over a pint there some time....

~ You never knowingly let the facts get in the way of the story. ~

F-F-F-FEZ (IP Logged)
11 February, 2018 07:51
Quote:
Squawker2
The bleeding of penalties was trrrible - uncle Eddie will not be happy

Yoda - happy not is he....
IT MEKES ME SICK

JO'G (IP Logged)
12 February, 2018 06:35
I actually counted that he made 4 passes yesterday more than the entire 6 nations last season I'm sorry to keep belabouribg a point but when Brown passes in games both he and the team benefit. Mostly though he doesn't and in those games he looks the worse for it and the team suffers

2 good performances in 2 seasons doesn't make up for all the other mediocre performances

Park team from London
Just a park team from London
European Champions
Just European champions

Rupes (IP Logged)
12 February, 2018 11:55
Anyone know of a good eye-patch supplier? This thread needs to buy some...

tpr's headmistress (IP Logged)
12 February, 2018 12:07
Or a monocle to keep that closed eye open.(Sm151)

Rupes (IP Logged)
12 February, 2018 12:49
LOL very good.

primavesi (IP Logged)
12 February, 2018 14:16
This board´s obsession with criticising Brown, Ford and Hartly, or anyone else who is perceived to be keeping a sarries player out the England team, got tedious a long time ago.

Remember, like him or not, and a lot of people clearly seem not to, Eddie Jones knows a lot more about rugby than you or I. With Ford, Brown and Hartley he has achieved the best winning record in world rugby. Maybe it is time to open both eyes and just enjoy the most successful English team we have had for 15 years.

tpr's headmistress (IP Logged)
12 February, 2018 18:45
The thread is mainly positive about MB. However the MoM award is subjective, in fact I read somewhere (probably the Wasps' board) that it should have been Launchbury. Your perception is that this board is obsessed, but it's probably on a par with most other boards who hoot for their favourites. It's called 'human nature'. My eyes

https://3.bp.blogspot.com/-oJLZySXWzkw/VtthlnG535I/AAAAAAAASSk/wvNENWkNS7o/s1600/big-green-eyes.jpg

AP (IP Logged)
12 February, 2018 19:55
Brown, Ford and Hartley aren't keeping any Sarries players out of the England team.

If Brown went, Goode wouldn't come in.

If Ford went, Farrell would move across (or Marcus Smith might come in). Loz might get on the bench.

If Brown and Ford went, Goode still wouldn't come in.

George is in the 23 and gets the starting gig when Hartley doesn't.

Successful hills are here to stay
Everything must be this way
Gentle streets where people play
Welcome to the Soft Parade

JO'G (IP Logged)
13 February, 2018 09:20
Totally agree - Eddie doesn't rate Goode; he didn't when he was our DOR - and he isn't one to change his mind. Alex will never play for England whilst Eddie is there

I was trying to say that on the days when Brown passes the ball he is more influential, more worthwhile to the team and an all round better player. The best example was in Argentina, when he was a good link player. On Saturday he was actually looking to pass some of the time and played better than normal as a result

More often than not, he keeps the ball to himself and becomes a worse player. In my opinion almost any other English full-back would be a better option. I don't think he is the best 15 at Quins

Park team from London
European Champions
Just European champions

Seany_Boy0511 (IP Logged)
13 February, 2018 18:20
Whether Hartley is better than George or not, you cannot fault his international record... Also Brown is probably the best full back in world Rugby under the high ball, he had a pretty decent game but for me (and not looking through rose tinted glasses) Farrell deserved Motm on Saturday for England, George Ford is also a top quality player and when he plays well he deserves to be England's no 10

AP (IP Logged)
13 February, 2018 21:38
George Ford is also a top quality player and when he plays well he deserves to be England's no 10 -

Provided that Farrell is at 12!

Successful hills are here to stay
Everything must be this way
Gentle streets where people play
Welcome to the Soft Parade

MGB (IP Logged)
14 February, 2018 09:51
Quote:
JO'G
Totally agree - Eddie doesn't rate Goode; he didn't when he was our DOR - and he isn't one to change his mind.
That's not how I remember Eddie's view of Alex when he was DOR. He said he couldn't decide as to whether Alex was a fly half or full back, but gave him plenty of game time.

JO'G (IP Logged)
14 February, 2018 13:24
Quote:
MGB
Quote:
JO'G
Totally agree - Eddie doesn't rate Goode; he didn't when he was our DOR - and he isn't one to change his mind.
That's not how I remember Eddie's view of Alex when he was DOR. He said he couldn't decide as to whether Alex was a fly half or full back, but gave him plenty of game time.

I seem to remember a 'You are not good enough for Fly half - playing Full back will teach you the lines to run' or similar

Park team from London
European Champions
Just European champions

MGB (IP Logged)
14 February, 2018 15:52
Quote:
JO'G
Quote:
MGB
Quote:
JO'G

I seem to remember a 'You are not good enough for Fly half - playing Full back will teach you the lines to run' or similar

A difference of nuance I suppose. I remember it as Eddie saying that by playing at full back he could observe how the first choice fly halves operated and so work into the role.

Seany_Boy0511 (IP Logged)
15 February, 2018 14:08
Quote:
AP
George Ford is also a top quality player and when he plays well he deserves to be England's no 10 -
Provided that Farrell is at 12!

Well naturally I wouldn't Pick Ford over Farrell, and when they play together they do link up well and have a tremendous understanding of each others game

JO'G (IP Logged)
15 February, 2018 16:03
well they should do - I remember them playing against my son in the U8s

Park team from London
European Champions
Just European champions

OldMarovian (IP Logged)
15 February, 2018 17:08
Quote:
JO'G
I'm sorry to keep belabouribg a point but when Brown passes in games both he and the team benefit.

Standing almost still one of his passes to May (all of about 5M away) was both behind him and above his head ... probably says all you need to know about why he doesn't pass normally.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net