rugbyunion
Latest News:
New Page 1

Whatever your views on Saracens, whether a Sarries fan or not, leave them here.

To leave a message on this board you must register. To register click HERE, it takes only a minute.
Non-rugby posts are welcome, but please prefix your subject header with "OT" or "Off Topic".

Thought for the Day:
PROFESSEUR BARRITT'S FRENCH LESSON

Latest: SARACENS 29:10 LYON OU
Next: Saracens v Leicester Tigers Sat 27th Oct, 15.00 Allianz, PRC,
Audio: Click the link below. If it ain' there, it ain't on!
Upcoming TV: Saracens v Leicester Tigers, Sat 27th Oct 15.00 BT Sport 3

BBC Online Rugby Union Commentaries

The Fish | Rugby Union News | Fez Boys | Saracens Fixtures | The SSA

Is it just me?
The Bard (IP Logged)
10 February, 2018 20:32
Or is Warren Gatland looking more like Paul Hollywood by the week?

Re: Is it just me?
Hellequin (IP Logged)
10 February, 2018 20:42
Bread of Hollywood?

Roger G (IP Logged)
11 February, 2018 09:03
I wonder if Paul Hollywood understands the term "the referee's decision is final". Gats certainly doesn't, and IMHO he should get a slap on the wrist for publicly questioning the disallowed try decision even though many people (me included) will agree the TMO may have got it wrong.

Innings (IP Logged)
11 February, 2018 10:06
Right decision, wrong reason. Watch again, and you'll see that Anscombe's left hand brushes the ball forward onto his knee, before the ball goes forward off the knee.

Innings

Points win matches: tries win hearts and minds.

Innings (IP Logged)
11 February, 2018 10:09
And, Yes, Gatland should be warned about his criticism of the referee and TMO. At all levels of all sports people at the grass roots take their behaviour cues from the top. Criticism leads to abuse, leads to intimidation,leads to officials leaving the game.

As he didn't like the decision, he has the opportunity to make that plain in his comments on the referee's performance, sent in after every top level match.

Innings

Points win matches: tries win hearts and minds.

mfc (IP Logged)
11 February, 2018 12:02
I thought the winger touched the ball with his fingers rather than his knee, so knock on before the grounding debate

MickyWiz (IP Logged)
11 February, 2018 22:31
I thought that too but they were concentrated on who got there first for the grounding (and got it wrong IMHO) instead of the potential knock on.

RustySword (IP Logged)
12 February, 2018 20:34
Who's Paul Hollywood?

tpr's headmistress (IP Logged)
12 February, 2018 20:46
Not into food then RustySword.(Sm100)

RustySword (IP Logged)
12 February, 2018 22:23
Quote:
tpr's headmistress
Not into food then RustySword.(Sm100)

I love food and I love cooking. I hate most celebrity chefs (if that's what he is). Mrs. RS loves them, so I usually head for my study whenever she's watching one!

(I make exceptions for a few e.g. Ken Hom, the flavoursomeness of whose recipes is only matched by their simplicity; and Anjum Anand who is as gorgeous as her recipes - which are anything but simple!)

tpr's headmistress (IP Logged)
13 February, 2018 09:12
Unfortunately I class these 'cooking' programmes in the same mould as reality tv which makes me squirm. However I do like James Martin - yummy, and he makes good food too! The only reality tv we watch is the rugby.(Sm125)

JO'G (IP Logged)
13 February, 2018 09:13
TMO was totally useless

1. Grounding wrong
2. Knock on wrong
3. restart option wrong - he was suggesting Welsh scrum

kiwis might be good at rugby - but their grasp of the laws a bit flimsy

TonyTaff (IP Logged)
13 February, 2018 10:30
Loads of Taff's have been claiming that if the try had been awarded, and converted, the 7 points would have given Wales a win.

Leaving aside the flimsiness of ceteris paribus with an hour left to play, the ref went back for a penalty which Patchell kicked. Four points were the maximum foregone.

676.97 (*) donated to the Saracens Foundation due to visits to the Sarries frontpage [www.rugbynetwork.net]

Please read and submit articles for publication. (*) As at October 31, 2017.

TOKS (IP Logged)
13 February, 2018 10:43
And if the breakdown had been refereed equally for both teams by Garces then England would probably have won by a clear dozen. Ifs and buts eh.

Highbury Saracen (IP Logged)
13 February, 2018 11:00
Quote:
TOKS
And if the breakdown had been refereed equally for both teams by Garces then England would probably have won by a clear dozen. Ifs and buts eh.

Nice to have you back on forum Mike!

European champions 2016 & 2017

TonyTaff (IP Logged)
13 February, 2018 11:45
Quote:
TOKS

If only England had a proper open-sided...

winking smiley

676.97 (*) donated to the Saracens Foundation due to visits to the Sarries frontpage [www.rugbynetwork.net]

JO'G (IP Logged)
13 February, 2018 12:12
its interesting that internationals reffed by Garces have significantly lower scores than those reffed by others. Was discussed on a pod I listened to

his approach to let the breakdown sort itself out and only highlight the most obvious offences means that a reasonably sensible side can avoid giving away penalties altogether

F-F-F-FEZ (IP Logged)
13 February, 2018 13:04
No but Rhys Patchell & Prince Harry were separated at birth (does one get thrown in The Tower for such musings?)

HARRY PATCHELL

TonyTaff (IP Logged)
14 February, 2018 14:34
Quote:
JO'G
its interesting that internationals reffed by Garces have significantly lower scores than those reffed by others. Was discussed on a pod I listened to
his approach to let the breakdown sort itself out and only highlight the most obvious offences means that a reasonably sensible side can avoid giving away penalties altogether

Where can these scores be found?

JO'G (IP Logged)
14 February, 2018 16:44
there was an article in the grauniad saying that the 2 lowest scoring games in the 6 nations were both reffed by Garces.

Its just a general observation on Garces that:

1) he doesn't like giving penalties at the breakdown
20 if however he makes a bad decision (red card for example) he then gives the side with 14 the rub of the green on penalties

TonyTaff (IP Logged)
15 February, 2018 09:17
Ah, match scores!

I was imagining ref-competence scores winking smiley

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net