rugbyunion
Latest News:
New Page 1

Whatever your views on Saracens, whether a Sarries fan or not, leave them here.

To leave a message on this board you must register. To register click HERE, it takes only a minute.
Non-rugby posts are welcome, but please prefix your subject header with "OT" or "Off Topic".

Thought for the Day:
TWICKERS HERE WE COME!

Latest: SARACENS 57:33 WASPS
Next SARACENS v EXETER CHIEFS
Sat 26th May 15.00, Twickenham (Aviva Premiership Final)
Audio: Click the link below. If it ain' there, it ain't on!
Upcoming TV: BT Sport Saracens v Exeter Chiefs Aviva Premiership Final 26 May

BBC Online Rugby Union Commentaries

The Fish | Rugby Union News | Fez Boys | Saracens Fixtures | The SSA

Saracens App
Vodka Graham (IP Logged)
11 February, 2018 12:20
The new app appears to be USA based, therefore not subject to the same privacy laws as here. Be careful of your personal information on this app as it states that they will sell your info. If they go bankrupt they will sell your info including bank info as an asset.

Read the privacy terms before you sign up.

"Darkness washed over the Dude - Darker than a black steer's tookus on a moonless prairie night. There was no bottom."

Re: Saracens App
nedrichards (IP Logged)
11 February, 2018 13:56
Vodka Graham: If they provide services in the EU then they're subject to the same privacy laws, the location of the company providing them doesn't matter. I haven't checked the privacy policy yet, but if it is as you say then that would clearly be in breach of the GDPR once enacted later this year. Max penalty for violation 17m or 4% of global turnover, probably better to just exceed the salary cap ;-)

Vodka Graham (IP Logged)
11 February, 2018 14:41
I cant profess to being knowledgeable on these things, so maybe I am over protective of my privacy, but I read it and declined to sign up as a result.

"Darkness washed over the Dude - Darker than a black steer's tookus on a moonless prairie night. There was no bottom."

RustySword (IP Logged)
11 February, 2018 22:03
Just wondering exactly what sensitive/private/classified information was demanded by the app?

I signed up with one of my spam-trap email addys, and gave a fake name. Job's a good 'un. They can sell the spam-trap email addy all they like, I'll never know about it (whole point of a spam-trap). And they can hire any gumshoe they like to track down the name I gave, they will not succeed.

So the problem is...?

RustySword (IP Logged)
11 February, 2018 22:12
Although (early days I know) there isn't a lot of point to it. It merely seems to replicate the Saracens Twatter feed.

JO'G (IP Logged)
12 February, 2018 06:29
MY wife had a real shock when the company behind her work software pulled out of Europe with their concerns over this regulation with the fines at 4% and Europe only being 1% of their global market a no brainer for them. It's not that they were intrusive but that the regulations are way above what's needed. Another instance of a few do gooders ruining it for the majority

Park team from London
Just a park team from London
European Champions
Just European champions

12 February, 2018 10:23
"Another instance of a few do gooders ruining it for the majority"

Totally wrong. The majority are getting shafted. The minority who abuse data privacy laws are the corporate fat cats who sell on my and your personal data without asking us, meaning it ends up with various other fraudsters and crooks. But generally it is aimed at businesses who have poor cyber security and controls on personal data to encourage them to beef it up.

Either way it's designed to prevent cyber fraud. Having had an alternative cyber identify set up somewhere in the Eastern bloc I welcome more controls. Frankly many businesses have ignored this area and have no idea of the prevalence of threats that will destroy their reputations and value of the intangible asset known as the customer database.

The general principal of GDPR is that my personal data belongs to me, the business holding it is just a custodian who have it with my permission, and I get to decide if it is transferred onto other companies. Which is right. Bring on the fines for the lazy, greedy, minority of businesses not respecting my security.
(BTW - businesses need to be compliant by end May this year.)

Wayoutwest (IP Logged)
12 February, 2018 10:38
Businesses will not be compliant with GDPR by May 2018. The main reason for this is that the law has not even gone through parliament yet as its not finished!

I tried to get the GDPR course sorted out only to be told yes I can have the course but it may not cover all the things in the legislation as that's not been agreed yet.

primavesi (IP Logged)
12 February, 2018 14:28
Was anyone else a bit underwhelmed by the new app?

Im not sure what I was expecting but it just seems to be a mix of the website and social media feeds in app form, and not even particularly well designed. The fixtures for example still has the same annoying format as the website, rather than a simple list. I am not sure what this app offers that I do not have already.

Duncan96 (IP Logged)
12 February, 2018 14:42
Quote:
primavesi
Was anyone else a bit underwhelmed by the new app?
Im not sure what I was expecting but it just seems to be a mix of the website and social media feeds in app form, and not even particularly well designed. The fixtures for example still has the same annoying format as the website, rather than a simple list. I am not sure what this app offers that I do not have already.

That was my reaction

Bboonie (IP Logged)
12 February, 2018 14:47
Me too

MyCupRunnethOver (IP Logged)
12 February, 2018 15:41
Oh my giddy aunt! only on a rugby thread would a discussion descend to the depths of the relative merits of GDPR and European privacy regulation. What's next a thread on MIFID 2?

Huxley (IP Logged)
12 February, 2018 15:47
I would go so far as to say that the app is poor. I used to work in digital, and can guess that the app must have cost a pretty penny too. It's a shame because it could have been so good.

In general I think that the club's digital offering is poor, across the board. What amazes me is that they're not scrimping on digital spend, it's just lacking in strategy and execution.

David@Sarries (IP Logged)
12 February, 2018 16:53
The App is rubbish. I thought I'd use it to follow the game on Saturday, ahh no.

So I thought I'd look at the match report, ahh no and it's still not there.

I've just uninstalled it as it added no value and simply seemed to be advertising festivals and camps.

RustySword (IP Logged)
12 February, 2018 17:17
Quote:
JO'G
Another instance of a few do gooders ruining it for the majority

Possibly a touch complacent in a world where hundreds of thousands of customers at companies as big as Equifax have already had their personal details stolen.

I have had nearly 1,000 stolen from a credit card after my eBay account (with a strong password) was hacked, and although the card issuer was legally liable I had to start legal proceedings against them before they credited the money back to my account.

I am no hacking expert but (like millions of people worldwide) I do know my way around SQL and I can show you websites right now where personal details are open to a Noddy-and-Big-Ears injection attack.

Companies are complacent, and draconian legal sanctions are justified.

AP (IP Logged)
12 February, 2018 20:00
GDPR is EU legislation and the Directive was made about 18 onths ago. There's no reason not to be prepared.

Successful hills are here to stay
Everything must be this way
Gentle streets where people play
Welcome to the Soft Parade

F-F-F-FEZ (IP Logged)
13 February, 2018 13:26
Quote:
MyCupRunnethOver
Oh my giddy aunt! only on a rugby thread would a discussion descend to the depths of the relative merits of GDPR and European privacy regulation. What's next a thread on MIFID 2?

Ha ha - we're clearly all bl00dy financial services bods! Isn't MiFID 2 a nightmare though - discuss (or maybe not!) (Sm89)

primavesi (IP Logged)
14 February, 2018 14:19
Quote:
F-F-F-FEZ
Quote:
MyCupRunnethOver

Ha ha - we're clearly all bl00dy financial services bods! Isn't MiFID 2 a nightmare though - discuss (or maybe not!) (Sm89)

Massive ball ache..

But for something slightly less off topic but still financial services related, any other bloomberg users here who have noticed that Saracens do not have a flag for the IB but most other prem teams do? Clearly our profile is not as high as we thought! Even Benetton have one for gods sake. (The england one is {QJ} in case you have any welsh friends on there.)

OldMarovian (IP Logged)
15 February, 2018 08:02
Can I order Nandos delivered direct to my seat? I can not ... rubbish.

JO'G (IP Logged)
15 February, 2018 12:21
The Saracens flag might be a little contentious to be available on the internet

I do remember whilst in Lyon several locals (who probably were not born in Lyon) taking a special interest in the flags we were carrying

Park team from London
Just a park team from London
European Champions
Just European champions

TonyTaff (IP Logged)
15 February, 2018 12:44
About 20 years ago, we had to reverse the colours on our logo - complaint from Turkey, I believe.

God knows what's wrong with the current one - Allah's not telling!

676.97 (*) donated to the Saracens Foundation due to visits to the Sarries frontpage [www.rugbynetwork.net]

Please read and submit articles for publication. (*) As at October 31, 2017.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net