rugbyunion
Latest News:
New Page 1

Whatever your views on Saracens, whether a Sarries fan or not, leave them here.

To leave a message on this board you must register. To register click HERE, it takes only a minute.
Non-rugby posts are welcome, but please prefix your subject header with "OT" or "Off Topic".

Thought for the Day:
PROFESSEUR BARRITT'S FRENCH LESSON

Latest: SARACENS 29:10 LYON OU
Next: Saracens v Leicester Tigers Sat 27th Oct, 15.00 Allianz, PRC,
Audio: Click the link below. If it ain' there, it ain't on!
Upcoming TV: Saracens v Leicester Tigers, Sat 27th Oct 15.00 BT Sport 3

BBC Online Rugby Union Commentaries

The Fish | Rugby Union News | Fez Boys | Saracens Fixtures | The SSA

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Re: Chris Ashton
Darraghgirl (IP Logged)
27 May, 2018 16:12
Quote:
Adey
I imagine Barnetsarrie is starting one of those pointless online petitions with a video montage of Ashy’s first half right about now.

No online petition needed - class speaks for itself!
The best Englishman on the field isn't wearing white!

WiganSaler (IP Logged)
27 May, 2018 17:41
We all know Chris Ashton's face doesn't fit at HQ but it's just been announced he has been Baaaaaaad from Twickers forever (Sm100)

--------------------------------------------------
Wigan "Home for the Bewildered"

Fully paid up member of the LSSSSC.
"Long Suffering Sale Sharks Supporters Club"

Steve Robo (IP Logged)
27 May, 2018 20:15
Best two fingered salute to Eddie Jones ever

TonyTaff (IP Logged)
29 May, 2018 11:30
I have just watched the Toulon Top14 semifinal.

Ash had a nightmare first-half, butchering two excellent attacks. If Toulon had won, he wouldn't have been at HQ!

£676.97 (*) donated to the Saracens Foundation due to visits to the Sarries frontpage [www.rugbynetwork.net]

Please read and submit articles for publication. (*) As at October 31, 2017.

Sarriebone (IP Logged)
13 June, 2018 23:19
Rumours are he wants to head home

[www.rugbypass.com]

Seany_Boy0511 (IP Logged)
14 June, 2018 07:07
He wants to get back in favour with England, Ashton is always welcome here! I'd have him a back in a heartbeat, I know we have class wingers etc but he has proven he can also cover full back!

Waldo (IP Logged)
14 June, 2018 07:53
Quote:
Seany_Boy0511
He wants to get back in favour with England, Ashton is always welcome here! I'd have him a back in a heartbeat, I know we have class wingers etc but he has proven he can also cover full back!

The thing is I don't think we would have room for him with Sanjay,Dunc,Stretts,Lewington,Maitland,Obatoyinbo,Segun

Jim 55 (IP Logged)
14 June, 2018 09:50
Quote:
Waldo
Quote:
Seany_Boy0511

The thing is I don't think we would have room for him with Sanjay,Dunc,Stretts,Lewington,Maitland,Obatoyinbo,Segun

As a club you move on, reinvent yourselves and I think we did that last year.
With Lewington arriving next season we should have a richness of talent on the wings, so I'm with Waldo - no space available.

#wolfpack (IP Logged)
14 June, 2018 10:08
No space available for the top European Cup try scorer and a guy who has just scored 23 tries in a season in France?!

Ashy would be straight back into our gun XV for me. Get him back!

TimH (IP Logged)
14 June, 2018 10:21
Agree with Waldo. Pains me to say, but Lewington is a preferable investment at this stage.

Maitland is also one of our most underrated players IMHO and that's before you add Liam and Stretts to the mix.

And Segun is also an exciting prospect.

ninjafez (IP Logged)
14 June, 2018 13:26
Quote:
Jim 55
Quote:
Waldo
Quote:
Seany_Boy0511

As a club you move on, reinvent yourselves and I think we did that last year.
With Lewington arriving next season we should have a richness of talent on the wings, so I'm with Waldo - no space available.

dont forget acad's like Crossdale and Gallagher...

Ninjafez - supporting Sarries and cleaning their signs since 2006!

Sarriebone (IP Logged)
14 June, 2018 14:16
Jim Hamilton reckons Quins or Falcons, if it happens that is

Highbury Saracen (IP Logged)
14 June, 2018 15:38
Toulon denying any request from Ashy has been received

European champions 2016 & 2017

Darraghgirl (IP Logged)
17 June, 2018 18:44
Instagram quote from Mrs A "you always do what's best for the family". Wonder what that means?

1876-Fez (IP Logged)
27 June, 2018 09:48
Latest.... but it is Rugby Pass...

[www.rugbypass.com]

SUPPORT Help for Heroes:
Help for Heroes

tpr's headmistress (IP Logged)
27 June, 2018 13:00
I read something yesterday which suggested Pat Lam would like him to sign for the Bristol Bears. However Boudgellal intimated Chris was undecided and the 'ball was in his court'. (I think it was the Telegraph).

Seany_Boy0511 (IP Logged)
27 June, 2018 14:57
Possibly going To Sale... Damn shame if he does but a very good move by Sale, their backline could be lethal next year if Ashy does join them

27 June, 2018 16:16
The ‘family’ reasons being quoted for Ash wanting to leave Toulon may explain a move back to Sale near his roots?

Sarriebone (IP Logged)
27 June, 2018 21:01
Quote:
Highbury Saracen
The ‘family’ reasons being quoted for Ash wanting to leave Toulon may explain a move back to Sale near his roots?

Possibly, though recent-ish interviews he seemed to hint that while he was enjoying the rugby over there living over there wasn't quite as pleasing to him/his family

mrangry (IP Logged)
03 July, 2018 18:29
Official, Sale sign Ashton. Rugbyrama say "personal reasons, been expected at Toulon.

OhMaroItoje (IP Logged)
03 July, 2018 18:46
I’m sure if he was in aiming for England before we signed Strets & Lewington we would have happily taken him back as a team and as a fan base!

Darraghgirl (IP Logged)
04 July, 2018 09:50
Quote:
OhMaroItoje
I’m sure if he was in aiming for England before we signed Strets & Lewington we would have happily taken him back as a team and as a fan base!
Apparently not. It seems he burnt his bridges with Smally when he left!
Shame

Adey (IP Logged)
04 July, 2018 09:54
Contracts don’t seem to mean a lot to him do they?!

That’s a choice of Ashton, Yarde and Solomona on the wing for Sale next year. Their fullback is going to be busy making covering tackles.

Duncan Keene (IP Logged)
04 July, 2018 12:19
I reckon Ashton might play a fair bit of full back for them to get all those 3 on the pitch.

GazzaFez (IP Logged)
04 July, 2018 12:27
Mike Hailey has left Sale for Ireland (Munster?) So in all likelihood Chris will be their fullback. Lucky sods. I wish there was some way we could have had him back.......if the timing had been a bit different who knows.

flavman 35 (IP Logged)
04 July, 2018 13:23
I would love to of had a ashy back he suited us so well.

wolfgangvonb77 (IP Logged)
04 July, 2018 20:15
Good luck to Ashy and I hope he drops the ball against us and doesn't score but that's probably wishful thinking lol. it's a shame he went on a whim but we are well stocked on the wings and full back. Still a massive a fan of his and always be a ledge to me!!!

TonyTaff (IP Logged)
04 July, 2018 21:42
I smell a rat.

Toulon don't usually allow a player to terminate a contract without demanding a transfer fee.

Of course, 'family reasons' discourages speculation, let alone investigation.

£676.97 (*) donated to the Saracens Foundation due to visits to the Sarries frontpage [www.rugbynetwork.net]

shendy (IP Logged)
05 July, 2018 07:57
Quote:
TonyTaff
Toulon don't usually allow a player to terminate a contract without demanding a transfer fee.

I thought I saw elsewhere that a fee of £100k had been mentioned.

Chris1850 (IP Logged)
05 July, 2018 08:42
Quote:
shendy
Quote:
TonyTaff

Compensation of €100,000 was confirmed

GerryK (IP Logged)
05 July, 2018 09:57
If Ashy gets back into the England squad then with a bit of luck, it is unlikely he will be available for Sale when they play us and therefore be in a position to cause us problems

05 July, 2018 14:57
Or,with a bit of luck, he does play,at fb for Sale,& we cam cause him a few problems! smiling smiley

Sarriebone (IP Logged)
07 July, 2018 13:49

JO'G (IP Logged)
07 July, 2018 17:50
I'm hoping Ashdon won't get to play at AzP this season with that game being in the Autumn international period

TonyTaff (IP Logged)
08 July, 2018 13:13
Quote:
Chris1850
Quote:
shendy
Quote:
TonyTaff

Compensation of €100,000 was confirmed

Thanks. Poor business for Toulon IMHO.

Did anyone mention the salary cap (Sm22)

CT (IP Logged)
08 July, 2018 15:24
Ashton also gave up image rights money that was owed to him by Toulon.

Waldo (IP Logged)
10 July, 2018 11:37
Was hinted on the Eggchasers podcast that he was on around £450k at sale and they have probably got him in as a "name" to draw in the crowds more than anything else.

They quoted Alex Sanderson as saying they obviously considered him as they would for any decent player coming to market but decided that the price was too high for Saracens. They concluded that was probably the right call.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net