rugbyunion
Latest News:
New Page 1

Whatever your views on Saracens, whether a Sarries fan or not, leave them here.

To leave a message on this board you must register. To register click HERE, it takes only a minute.
Non-rugby posts are welcome, but please prefix your subject header with "OT" or "Off Topic".

Thought for the Day:
ANY WAY THE WIND BLOWS

Latest: SARACENS 51 : 25 CARDIFF BLUES
Next:Cardiff Blues v Saracens Sat 15th Dec, 13.00 Arms Park, EPCR,
Audio: Click the link below. If it ain' there, it ain't on!
Upcoming TV: Cardiff Blues v Saracens, Sat 15th Dec 12.30 BT Sport 2

BBC Online Rugby Union Commentaries

The Fish | Rugby Union News | Fez Boys | Saracens Fixtures | The SSA | Rugby on TV

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Chris Ashton
GazzaFez (IP Logged)
17 February, 2018 20:30
Scored a hat trick against Stade Francais today. Now closing in on the record for number of tries scored in a season.

Rubbish player. Should never be anywhere near England blah blah.

(Sm161) (for the trolls).

Re: Chris Ashton
Darraghgirl (IP Logged)
17 February, 2018 21:37
but Eddie would rather have Yarde !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Good luck to Chris. Maybe he'll follow Strets and come back home one day!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 17/02/2018 21:38 by Darraghgirl.

AP (IP Logged)
17 February, 2018 21:51
I think Eddie has plenty of names ahead of Yarde though ...

Successful hills are here to stay
Everything must be this way
Gentle streets where people play
Welcome to the Soft Parade

Harrow Sarrie (IP Logged)
17 February, 2018 22:50
Quote:
AP
I think Eddie has plenty of names ahead of Yarde though ...

Now he does. But I suspect DG is referring to the fact that when Eddie was talking about Ashy getting back in the England squad a year or two back he back-tracked and picked Yarde instead.

samgibbo (IP Logged)
18 February, 2018 00:54
Class player, poorly treated by the system, delighted he’s doing so well as he deserves it. I feel like he has unfinished business and we’ll see him back in a year or two.

Coughie (IP Logged)
18 February, 2018 01:04
At his best for England when a Northampton player.

~ You never knowingly let the facts get in the way of the story. ~

GazzaFez (IP Logged)
18 February, 2018 10:07
On a more positive note I see Alex Lewington scored a brace for Irish during their loss to Saints this weekend..!

Darraghgirl (IP Logged)
13 March, 2018 18:59
Another hat trick this weekend. Scoring tries for fun! 13 for the season in the top 14 and level with Nadolo. He is also the all-time top try scorer in the European Cup with 38. I wonder if Eddie has any regrets for the way he treated him!
Ash Splash!

Sarriebone (IP Logged)
13 March, 2018 19:13
Quote:
Darraghgirl
Another hat trick this weekend. Scoring tries for fun! 20 for the season in the top 14 and level with Nadolo. He is also the all-time top try scorer in the European Cup with 38. I wonder if Eddie has any regrets for the way he treated him!
Ash Splash!

He's actually scored 20 this season in 17 Top 14 matches

Thanks - you are of course right!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 13/03/2018 19:51 by Darraghgirl.

John Tee (IP Logged)
15 March, 2018 08:38
Poorly treated by Jones who seems to be an @#$%& when confronted by a player who does not fit into his rigid template. At least for England, Imo.

1876-Fez (IP Logged)
20 March, 2018 15:10
He's on The Rugby Pod this week... not sure he is enjoying France BUT is definitely enjoying French Rugby... visiting other stadiums and not having to play a restrictive structured game... play play play sems to be the order of the day.. Hmmmm

Has conceeded FB is not his best position and needs help with his kicking game. ;-) .. but would like to get the record of trys scored in Top 14... 2 more needed I believe.

Said that after loss to Oyannax at the weekend Fabien Galthié cancelled the plane home and told them to make their own way, apparently!!

SUPPORT Help for Heroes:
Help for Heroes

Sarriebone (IP Logged)
25 March, 2018 16:06
Up to 21 in today's match and taken off with 30 to go. He's welcome back anytime!

#wolfpack (IP Logged)
26 March, 2018 07:38
Sign him up.

OldMarovian (IP Logged)
26 March, 2018 13:13
Quote:
Darraghgirl
I wonder if Eddie has any regrets for the way he treated him!

I don't think Jones does regrets and that's one of his weaknesses as it means he seldom acknowledges his mistakes.

TonyTaff (IP Logged)
27 March, 2018 14:33
Quote:
OldMarovian
Quote:
Darraghgirl
I wonder if Eddie has any regrets for the way he treated him!

I don't think Jones does regrets and that's one of his weaknesses as it means he seldom acknowledges his mistakes.

+1

£721.05 (*) donated to the Saracens Foundation due to visits to the Sarries frontpage [www.rugbynetwork.net]

Please read and submit articles for publication. (*) As at October 31, 2018.

Sarriebone (IP Logged)
14 April, 2018 16:22
He's only gone and broken the record in his first season. Good lad!

GazzaFez (IP Logged)
14 April, 2018 16:30
Quote:
Sarriebone
He's only gone and broken the record in his first season. Good lad!

Not surprised at all. Would welcome him back with open arms at the drop off a hat. Well done Chris!

Innings (IP Logged)
14 April, 2018 21:58
Jones has made a number of errors driven by his ego, and his treatment of Ashy was his second largest. His largest, IMHO, a by a wide margin, was anointing as captain a player who was clearly past his best, not delivering for club or country as captain or player. However, he seems to have no concept of introspection, so perhaps he's got time to make other poor judgements with similar consequences.

Innings

Points win matches: tries win hearts and minds.

Saint.Kenneth (IP Logged)
14 April, 2018 22:29
Missed out on more England caps and a British Lions squad.... because of his attitude?

For me, one of the most natural finishers in rugby. My son plays wing and Chris was the example he always followed, watching the 20 or so support runs that eventually lead him to being on the shoulder when needed, his work rate, especially in attack, is phenomenal. Would have him back at the Saints in a heartbeat.

Harrow Sarrie (IP Logged)
15 April, 2018 07:49
Attitude? Or perception?

Innings (IP Logged)
15 April, 2018 11:06
Bad management of the player by the coach. Saints and Sarries both got a huge benefit from his playing, and rumours from France say he's doing OK there. Where did he not do well? England under Jones. Where did he do well? everywhere else, including England not under Jones.

Innings

timbo001 (IP Logged)
15 April, 2018 17:31
Complete misnomer this stuff about Eddie Jones ‘mistreating’ Ashton imo. Eddie picked him for his first 6 Nations and openly talked about what a good player he was. Then Ashton got banned, missed the 6N and for the Summer tour Eddie decided to stick with the wings who won him the GS. He did get picked for the Saxons, but turned it down.

Then come the Autumn Ashton was banned again. How many Tests was he actually even available for under Eddie?

Missing the World Cup and the ludicrous bans much more to blame for Ashton leaving than anything Eddie did imo.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 15/04/2018 17:32 by timbo001.

Sarriebone (IP Logged)
20 May, 2018 16:26
Ashy's now been picked to play for the Barbarians against England. Congrats to him on a stellar season

alas (IP Logged)
21 May, 2018 10:17
But not so stellar against Lyon on Friday.

BarnetSarrie (IP Logged)
21 May, 2018 15:15
Isnt the point that both the bans were ridiculous. Especially given some of the other cases brought up before the RFU around that time. Italian deliberate gouging - given much less of a sanction than Chris - in fact, thinking of it nearly all the punishments were less than those given to chris. Why? Because the contact with eyes charge was supposedly a second offence. Given the shenanigans around his pleading the FIRST time - when he was advised wrongly to plead guilty because he would incur a lesser penalty - then after the book was thrown at him with force, said he hadnt been guilty but wasnt then allowed to change his plea - the whole thing was a complete fiasco!

On top of that there was that whole ridiculous business about him refusing to go away with the Saxons - that was reported as him having a hissy fit with England because he hadnt been selected, whilst in reality it was because Melissa was due whilst he was away!

No I'm afraid Chris was very badly treated by the RFU and England - though not necessarily just by Eddie - it was much broader than that. The stuffed shirts just didn't like the 'cheeky chappie' persona he projected. It's very difficult to see the way he was repeatedly treated as anything other than that!

Innings (IP Logged)
21 May, 2018 21:09
+1

Innings

Quinten Poulsen (IP Logged)
21 May, 2018 22:58
If you grab a player by the face, in the 'eye area', and thrown him to the floor you can expect a ban. Did his 10 weeks come with a reduction or did he have a poor record that didn't warrant one?

RobB (IP Logged)
22 May, 2018 07:58
Ugo on his Pod last night right at the end seemed to suggest that though he is enjoying his rugby down there he and his family are not necessary enjoying the living aspect and 'would be open to a move back to England'

Wayoutwest (IP Logged)
22 May, 2018 08:09
Quinten, Yes he handed him off but when you watch the video footage can you really say it was done with intent. 10 weeks basically implied there was which in my opinion was wrong.

We have all seen far worse go unpunished since in the AP.

Can you imagine how motivated he will be against England....

BarnetSarrie (IP Logged)
22 May, 2018 13:57
QP - Even the pundits said it was ridiculous when compared with lesser punishments for far worse - and more deliberate obvious gouging. No - I stick to what I said. Chris was very very badly treated by the rugby authorities here. And by some of the rugby press who just didnt like his showboating and felt it wasn't 'how things are done'.

I was very sad to see him leave us, but really felt that it was the right decision for his future, and for looking after his family, since England and those associated had cut their own bloody stuck up noses off to spite their faces.

Quinten Poulsen (IP Logged)
22 May, 2018 20:00
WoW, I'm not sure what you mean when you say hand-off. I'm thinking of the incident where he grabbed Luke Fitzgerald by the face and threw him to the floor. I'd say he intended to grab him by the face as that's what he did. I doubt very much he consciously thought 'I'm going to make contact with his eyes'.

I'm interested to know which far worse incidents in the AP have gone unpunished.

He'd probably have ended up with 5 weeks (50% reduction) if it wasn't for his track record, although I'm guessing a bit here. All I know is that he got a lot of cards for a back, and he was up before the beak a few times.

Rupes (IP Logged)
22 May, 2018 20:38
BarnetSarrie - you seem very sure of all of this, just as you were that Gustard wouldn't go to Harlequins. I understand your loyalty to the club but I'd be cautious about quoting "facts" when that isn't necessarily the case?

tpr's headmistress (IP Logged)
22 May, 2018 21:31
Everyone has their own version of 'the facts' and QP's are only his interpretation of them (with his own bias - much as one of us might make about Marler or Sinckler). Only Chris knows the truth and everything else is speculation.

BarnetSarrie has had a close connection with the club and just because Gustard has chosen to go to Quins doesn't mean the other 'quotes' are not correct.

Rupes (IP Logged)
23 May, 2018 08:50
TPRH (is that a shortening?!) - I understand that, but if you read the original Gustard to Quins thread...

Everyone is absolutely entitled to an opinion, so let's move on. I'm just probably overly keen on that old "both eyes open" thing ;-)

The other thing I'm trying to work out is whether this is a step up or not. Club DOR vs International Defence Coach who is well respected and could walk into pretty much any International set-up they chose to. I wish, as I'm sure everyone else does, Paul Gustard well in his new role but it's an interesting one.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 23/05/2018 08:52 by Rupes.

vap (IP Logged)
23 May, 2018 09:03
The fun and camaraderie maybe be at club level, but the big games, money and wide acclaim are all in the international game. Isn't that why Andy Farrell went international as soon as he could.
Why did O'Shea leave Gustard's new job for the basket case that is Italy? Presumably because he wants Ireland one day.

BarnetSarrie (IP Logged)
23 May, 2018 17:49
Quote:
Rupes
BarnetSarrie - you seem very sure of all of this, just as you were that Gustard wouldn't go to Harlequins. I understand your loyalty to the club but I'd be cautious about quoting "facts" when that isn't necessarily the case?

I was pretty sure you would appear as you so often do when I post, to pick me up on this Rupes. I saw Gussy at the weekend at the game, though of course I did not ask about Quins. I didnt feel it appropriate to ask - but thought he would have said something if it was all done and dusted. Clearly he felt it wasnt the time or place. Anyway even if he had said something then, it was not in the public domain and I would not have come onto the message board to say so just to prove I was right! Everything he ever said to me before has led me to believe he wouldnt leave England before the world cup and I am genuinely astonished. Similarly from various discussions I had at the time Chris left I am sure about what happened to Ashy - and it was no secret, indeed it was discussed at length in the media at the time.

Frankly you and I are never going to agree. I would quite reasonably ask how you know that what I say is not the case? It isnt loyalty to the club that makes me say this, it is a genuine belief that Chris was very badly treated by those in authority outside it and that various decisions made by those responsible for sanctions and punishments were particularly harshly applied in his case, especially in comparison to other players around that time. As for the fact that his baby was due when the Saxons tour happened - it is indeed a fact.

I'm starting to remember why I stopped posting for over a year on this board. I think that was probably wise. My apologies for being as surprised as most that Gussy left England at this stage bearing in mind everything I have been told - but I am not the only one. There are plenty of journalists who felt they had the wool deliberately pulled over their eyes.

GerryK (IP Logged)
24 May, 2018 09:17
Back to Chris, interesting article in the Times today, where he re-iterates his desire to play for England again particularly Ciprianis recall after several years. He does however acknowledge that Cips has been more persevering about his attempts to get back in to the fold. He looks forward to showing has skill to EJ when playing for the barbarians

Sarriebone (IP Logged)
24 May, 2018 10:31
Toulon wing Chris Ashton has spoken to RugbyPass about how he is “out of the loop completely” when it comes to any consideration of a next England cap under Eddie Jones.

[www.rugbypass.com]

Convex Hull (IP Logged)
24 May, 2018 22:16
I would miss your contribution, BarnetSarrie. I surmise that quite a few others would, too.

Regardez mon visage. Suis-je bovvered?

1876-Fez (IP Logged)
25 May, 2018 06:06
Quote:
Convex Hull
I would miss your contribution, BarnetSarrie. I surmise that quite a few others would, too.

+1

SUPPORT Help for Heroes:
Help for Heroes

Dave Berko (IP Logged)
25 May, 2018 06:09
Quote:
1876-Fez
Quote:
Convex Hull

+1

+2

tpr's headmistress (IP Logged)
25 May, 2018 06:49
Me too!

LutonS (IP Logged)
25 May, 2018 06:54
Quote:
Dave Berko
Quote:
1876-Fez
Quote:
Convex Hull

+1

+2

+3

Rupes (IP Logged)
25 May, 2018 08:02
and +4.

BarnetSarrie, sorry if my message has caused issues but the old moderator (ex) in me comes out every so often in being careful about the use of the word allegedly ;-) I'm not going to reply to each and every one of your points, serves no purpose for anyone.

As I said, it's all about opinions on these boards and no doubt (as you can from the support above) people enjoy reading yours. Hopefully we're all allowed to disagree, question and have free debate though!

Have a good day tomorrow, no doubt you'll be there and it will be a wonderful trip to Twickenham - take the sun cream though, the weather looks a bit warm...

BarnetSarrie (IP Logged)
25 May, 2018 13:07
Ok - I'm not one to sit and sulk! I remember your more active moderator days! Always very fair and reasoned! Thank you everyone - I would miss you all, and actually quite of few of our fellow supporters on other boards who are kind enough to message me sometimes!

Just one thing to say - I am very careful about what I post. I will always explain as fully as I can, but I will never betray a confidence or write things that might cause someone else a problem. If I can explain the reasoning behind something or put something straight by putting people on here in touch with someone who can help, I will always try my best to do so. It just isn't always possible (as some of you will know from recent events despite my best efforts!). That might sometimes sound like me making prounouncements and it isn't meant to. And yes - disagreements are not only allowed but welcome - you cant learn anything if you don't listen and mull over to other people's opinions after all!

So yes Rupes - let's all enjoy watching Schalla and Wylesy in Sarries kit on the field to delight us all for the last time (Sm10)and give them a 'throat bleeding cheer' - and let's wish Nathan only good things with Gussy at Quins - just because they are somewhere else, doesn't mean we suddenly don't like them! - and brave Matt a healthy and happy retirement, even though it is far too soon.

One thing that won't surprise anyone that knows me 'beyond the messageboard' - I will, definitely be crying by the end of the game. Either from happiness, disappointment, or simply because I am absolutely terrible about saying goodbye to anyone! So if you see me blubbing - you have my absolute permission to laugh!

Plus ca change and all that ..... (not)
BS

TonyTaff (IP Logged)
25 May, 2018 13:25
Ashy's declining the Saxons place was a PR disaster for him. No-one stated, real time, that he wanted to be with Meliisa during the birth.

The gutter press jumped to the conclusion that it was a snub.

24 tries in One season, without even getting to the final! That's some achievement.

It must be hell living on the Cote D'Azur. No pies and the weather is appalling winking smiley

£721.05 (*) donated to the Saracens Foundation due to visits to the Sarries frontpage [www.rugbynetwork.net]

Please read and submit articles for publication. (*) As at October 31, 2018.

Sarriesvet (IP Logged)
27 May, 2018 14:10
20 minutes played and it's two tries for Ashy!

Sarriesvet (IP Logged)
27 May, 2018 14:18
Third try inside 30 minutes!

Adey (IP Logged)
27 May, 2018 14:31
I imagine Barnetsarrie is starting one of those pointless online petitions with a video montage of Ashy’s first half right about now.

1876-Fez (IP Logged)
27 May, 2018 14:32
Quote:
Adey
I imagine Barnetsarrie is starting one of those pointless online petitions with a video montage of Ashy’s first half right about now.

Why even type that.....

SUPPORT Help for Heroes:
Help for Heroes

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net