rugbyunion
Latest News:
New Page 1

Whatever your views on Saracens, whether a Sarries fan or not, leave them here.

To leave a message on this board you must register. To register click HERE, it takes only a minute.
Non-rugby posts are welcome, but please prefix your subject header with "OT" or "Off Topic".

Thought for the Day:
FORGIVING US OUR SINS!

Latest: NORTHAMPTON SAINTS 27 : 38 SARACENS
Next: Saracens v Gloucester Rugby Sun 23rd Sep, 15.00 Allianz,
Audio: Click the link below. If it ain' there, it ain't on!
Upcoming TV: Saracens v Gloucester Rugby, Sun 23rd Sept BT Sport

BBC Online Rugby Union Commentaries

The Fish | Rugby Union News | Fez Boys | Saracens Fixtures | The SSA

Wasps Exeter
AB (IP Logged)
18 February, 2018 17:13
good result for us?
'
so much for all the flair nonsense written on the Wasps board - wasn't the most exciting of games

Re: Wasps Exeter
OldMarovian (IP Logged)
18 February, 2018 17:17
Two sides playing below their best and the result determined by a Wasps try that came after Thompson knocked on at the scrum. I wouldn't be getting over-excited if I was a Wasp or over concerned if I was a Chief.

Wasps backrow were very impressive.

bargepole (IP Logged)
18 February, 2018 17:24
There wasn't much flair on display today, sometimes you get involved in an 80-minute arm wrestle, and we came out on the right side of it.

The result keeps you guys in pole position, and also opens a bit of daylight between the top 3 and the chasing pack. I wouldn't moan too much if I were you.

Wasps supporter and ex-player since 1964

OldMarovian (IP Logged)
18 February, 2018 17:28
Not much flair in a Wasps performance? (Sm135) I won't have it!

The Bard (IP Logged)
18 February, 2018 17:29
Guy Thompson looked very useful, good signing for Tigers. Wasps picked a few significant looking injuries which won’t help over the next coulple of weeks.

TonyTaff (IP Logged)
18 February, 2018 17:30
Sarries' objective should be to finish in the top two while concentrating on Europe.

There was never going to be an ideal result from this one.

£676.97 (*) donated to the Saracens Foundation due to visits to the Sarries frontpage [www.rugbynetwork.net]

Please read and submit articles for publication. (*) As at October 31, 2017.

Wightwasp (IP Logged)
18 February, 2018 18:16
Quote:
AB
good result for us?
'
so much for all the flair nonsense written on the Wasps board - wasn't the most exciting of games
Sorry if wasps weren't up to their usual X factor standard but as one of your more sensible posters has already said sometimes you get involved in an arm wrestle
Playing expansive rugby against Exeter is not an easy thing to do especially when you pick up 4 injuries in 10 minutes
I'm sure we will be back to our entertaining best next week

F-F-F-FEZ (IP Logged)
18 February, 2018 18:31
How I wish that "top of the table" actually meant something, as opposed to a top 2 position to decide who gets a home tie to decide who wins Prem in a money spinning exercise with no other purpose in an already too busy season.

Rant over - apologies but there it is (Sm110)

Highbury Saracen (IP Logged)
18 February, 2018 19:12
I would’ve prefered a chiefs win as it preserves a gap to third......
It wasn’t fantastic,similar to what wasps poster said on his post about our game V Sale smiling smiley
Re injuries we have had massive problems in last 2 seasons & still won champions cup twice.....just got to get on with it

European champions 2016 & 2017

Buzzboy (IP Logged)
18 February, 2018 19:23
I’ll still have paid to see our game today 100 times over yours at Sale, Highbury, but maybe it’s just my Wasps bias. The closeness of the score did help keep the excitement levels up and the fact that we usually end up losing to Exeter (and you guys) at the moment. Hope to see you in the final, where we can play some exciting rugby.

Innings (IP Logged)
18 February, 2018 19:25
So trhat's £40 at Sale is worse value than £4,000 at Wasps. Clearly a rich supporter!

Innings

Points win matches: tries win hearts and minds.

Squawker2 (IP Logged)
18 February, 2018 19:34
First does serve a decent benefit as missing out on (presumably) Exeter or wasps does help the playoff chances

-----------------------------------------------------

Stuart Barnes is a Cock Womble

Sara'sman (IP Logged)
18 February, 2018 20:10
Well I enjoyed it! Contrasting styles, commitment from both teams, some excellent (perhaps ultimately flawed) skills despite few tries and another chance to see future stars such as Willis and Cowan-Dickie were all part of a close, interesting game. One of the positives of our sport is the variety of successful approaches teams have employed over the years. One of the negatives is the ridiculous need a minority seem to have to persistently champion only their team's style and denigrate others'. Enjoy the diversity!

F-F-F-FEZ - do you see no benefit in the play-offs? If every side had all their players available throughout the year I'd agree 100% that the table toppers should be champions. But they don't. Out of interest, whilst we, Quins, Leicester and others are so severely handicapped during the international periods, why do you feel that the pay-offs aren't a good compromise? Is your grouse with the availability issue?

RustySword (IP Logged)
18 February, 2018 20:21
Quote:
Buzzboy
I’ll still have paid to see our game today 100 times over yours at Sale

As the away side our job was simply to win. Entertainment is the home side's job.

RustySword (IP Logged)
18 February, 2018 20:33
P.S. An Exeter win would've suited us better. Top of the table counts for nowt.

Harrow Sarrie (IP Logged)
18 February, 2018 20:42
Agreed, top 2 for a home semi is the target. A low scoring Exeter win by 8 points would have been ideal from a Sarries perspective.

F-F-F-FEZ (IP Logged)
18 February, 2018 21:24
Sara'sman - fair question but first I'm loving your typo - which of course could be extremely subtle humour?;

why do you feel that the pay-offs aren't a good compromise?[color=#FF0033][/color]

Pay-offs indeed!

Call me a dyed in the wool cynic but the play-offs are, first and foremost, a money spinner. Availability of players affects the strongest teams most acutely but even so strength & depth tend to win out over a full term. I was delighted at Rob Baxter's rise to glory with a squad that momentarily seemed to suffer less in terms of availability but the forces at play eventually come to bear.

Less is sometimes more I suppose?

The Bard (IP Logged)
18 February, 2018 21:29
The play offs are absolutely right with over a quarter of the season without international players. At present there is a gulf between the top 3 and the rest. Coming top will really count

nedrichards (IP Logged)
18 February, 2018 22:17
I mean, playing any professional game of rugby is first and foremost a money spinner, isn't it? That always strikes me as the weakest argument against the format.

Buzzboy (IP Logged)
18 February, 2018 22:23
Quote:
Innings
So trhat's £40 at Sale is worse value than £4,000 at Wasps. Clearly a rich supporter!

You’ve lost me Innings! But maths never was my strong point. Just meant I enjoyed the Wasps game more. Think it was a better contest. Sale were awful.

Buzzboy (IP Logged)
18 February, 2018 22:26
Quote:
AB
good result for us?
'

We did suffer from losing our 12 just before the game, then there were a few other injuries during the game, which might have affected our ability to play our best rugby! But we’ve been criticised in the past for not being able to play a controlled game so perhaps this was the time to give it a go, just like your excellent team have done in the past years.

I’m glad some Sarries enjoyed the game..

Svenster (IP Logged)
19 February, 2018 07:17
Yup.. have to say that I enjoyed the game! an entertaining tactical battle (Sm137)

Seany_Boy0511 (IP Logged)
19 February, 2018 08:28
At the end of the day wasps found a way to win against Exeter... So you have to give them credit for that wasps are a dangerous team ok ot wasn't flashy or tries coming from every phase but it was one of those attritional battles which are equally exciting because the game could still swing either way until the final whistle. Some people say it's not about finishing top, maybe not but finishing top is still an achievement especially with the level of skill and ability on offer, the standard of rugby this season is top quality and long may it continue!!! I like the fact it's still two from three going for a home Semi this year means Sarries can turn my hair grey quicker!

Huxley (IP Logged)
19 February, 2018 08:31
I thought it was a great game, old school arm wrestle. Thought Young and Thompson were excellent. Think Wasps might struggle to put out a team next week for an already difficult game at Kingsholm.

For me, the low point was Doyle’s performance, no consistency in his decision and missed multiple knock ons right in front of him.

JO'G (IP Logged)
19 February, 2018 08:56
the results this weekend mean that coming top of the pile is an even bigger reward than it normally is

The gulf between any of Sarries, Wasps, Exeter at home with any of the 6 teams below them is significant. Whoever comes top is almost certain to be at Twickenham. coming second or third means that getting to the final will be a battle in itself.

london pride (IP Logged)
19 February, 2018 15:03
At Christmas Ex were top of the league and ten points in front of us, Middle of Feb and Sarries have not only closed the gap but we are now top (who knows how long for)with a one point lead.That surely is an achievement in itself.
All this talk of finish second, you get nothing for finishing top is fine , but as a Sarries supporter, I want us to win every game,(and I know thats not going to happen) and see us finish on top.
In the play offs it's surely better to play the team, that finishes fourth, three places below the top team,, than it is to finish second and play the team that is immediately below in third place.

Seany_Boy0511 (IP Logged)
19 February, 2018 15:33
I enjoy the playoff system personally, and I always think If you get top 4 you always have a right to be chance to win the league yes it's tougher away from home but Saracens are capable of beating any team anywhere so as much as I'd like us to secure a home Semi I'm not too scared of traveling down to Exeter or up to wasps... Obviously it depends how Europe goes because it could be a little like last season where. Sarries unfortunately burn out towards the very end after a string of stupidly tough games, we shall see

OldMarovian (IP Logged)
20 February, 2018 04:53
Quote:
london pride
In the play offs it's surely better to play the team, that finishes fourth, three places below the top team,, than it is to finish second and play the team that is immediately below in third place.

Didn't work out too well for Saints in 2015 smiling smiley

london pride (IP Logged)
20 February, 2018 19:32
Quote:
OldMarovian
Quote:
london pride

Didn't work out too well for Saints in 2015 smiling smiley

Remind me, who finished 4th and won the competition that year...Oh yes, silly me, (Sm63)

OldMarovian (IP Logged)
20 February, 2018 22:51
I think that was rather my point winking smiley

JO'G (IP Logged)
21 February, 2018 12:18
I do find it odd that for all the Sarries / Saints semi finals - its always been the away side getting to Twickenham

TonyTaff (IP Logged)
21 February, 2018 14:43
Quote:
JO'G
I do find it odd that for all the Sarries / Saints semi finals - its always been the away side getting to Twickenham

I love the sound of emptying Franklin Garden stands in the afternoon winking smiley

£676.97 (*) donated to the Saracens Foundation due to visits to the Sarries frontpage [www.rugbynetwork.net]

Please read and submit articles for publication. (*) As at October 31, 2017.

JO'G (IP Logged)
21 February, 2018 16:56
Quote:
TonyTaff
Quote:
JO'G

I love the sound of emptying Franklin Garden stands in the afternoon winking smiley

you have to sing the second part pretty fast to parse into the Nick Lowe song

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net