rugbyunion
Latest News:
New Page 1

Whatever your views on Saracens, whether a Sarries fan or not, leave them here.

To leave a message on this board you must register. To register click HERE, it takes only a minute.
Non-rugby posts are welcome, but please prefix your subject header with "OT" or "Off Topic".

Thought for the Day:
ANY WAY THE WIND BLOWS

Latest: SARACENS 51 : 25 CARDIFF BLUES
Next:Cardiff Blues v Saracens Sat 15th Dec, 13.00 Arms Park, EPCR,
Audio: Click the link below. If it ain' there, it ain't on!
Upcoming TV: Cardiff Blues v Saracens, Sat 15th Dec 12.30 BT Sport 2

BBC Online Rugby Union Commentaries

The Fish | Rugby Union News | Fez Boys | Saracens Fixtures | The SSA | Rugby on TV

Annual Hurrah!
GazzaFez (IP Logged)
19 February, 2018 12:56
Just had a quick look at the Premiership league table and realised that after this weekend we (along with Pests and Chiefs) are.........

Safe from relegation!

Bit silly I know but I check this every year, out of habit really and a salutary nod to the years gone by when it was often not so clear cut for us. How things have changed. smiling smiley

Re: Annual Hurrah!
PhillFez (IP Logged)
19 February, 2018 12:59
An important landmark for those of us that remember the 1990s onwards! Just as well you are not a not not supporter.

OldMarovian (IP Logged)
19 February, 2018 13:19
thumbs down

Rolls (IP Logged)
19 February, 2018 14:00
OMG do I remember those days? Every kick at goal I could only watch through my fingers? Unless we were 20 points clear with 5 minutes to play never feeling we were quite safe? Having to beat Sale away to avoid probable relegation? Being a Sarrie fan in those days was very, very hard work.

1876-Fez (IP Logged)
19 February, 2018 14:12
Sooooooooooooo less stressful these days...(Sm48)

SUPPORT Help for Heroes:
Help for Heroes

tpr's headmistress (IP Logged)
19 February, 2018 14:37
Those awful days of going into work on a Monday to be goaded by the 'superior' Wasps supporters. (Sm123)

Seany_Boy0511 (IP Logged)
19 February, 2018 14:48
Wasps still have bragging rights over us I'm afraid they are still more successful but we are only 3 premiership titles behind them now !

Sara'sman (IP Logged)
19 February, 2018 15:41
But don't those days make the current era all the sweeter? And unbelievable!

Oh, and Hurrah from here too!

TimH (IP Logged)
19 February, 2018 16:51
Ah, yes, I remember that day well. I think, if memory serves, six teams could have been relegated that day and we needed a point to stay up. We scored four tries before halftime.

Quote:
Rolls
OMG do I remember those days? Every kick at goal I could only watch through my fingers? Unless we were 20 points clear with 5 minutes to play never feeling we were quite safe? Having to beat Sale away to avoid probable relegation? Being a Sarrie fan in those days was very, very hard work.

Darraghgirl (IP Logged)
19 February, 2018 17:01
Looking up rather than down all the time is sooooo much nicer!

tigerburnie (IP Logged)
19 February, 2018 17:04
Ahh, but you have to beat us at the weekend(Sm100)(which might not be all that difficult, but with our new forwards coach you never know)

Darraghgirl (IP Logged)
19 February, 2018 17:14
Quote:
TimH
Ah, yes, I remember that day well. I think, if memory serves, six teams could have been relegated that day and we needed a point to stay up. We scored four tries before halftime.
Quote:
Rolls

Pretty sure it was home at VR. Never has a TBP been so welcome!

AP (IP Logged)
19 February, 2018 20:19
Indeed, safety being reached still makes me smile.

Successful hills are here to stay
Everything must be this way
Gentle streets where people play
Welcome to the Soft Parade

AlanE (IP Logged)
19 February, 2018 21:15
Funny that only this week there is a thread on the Quins board querying whether they could still be relegated.

While that is thought to be unlikely given LI's position, on current form they could finish 11th and then what happens next season if Briss perform?

But there is someone on there offering excellent odds against them going down this year or next.

I was 17 miles from Graybridge before I was caught by the school leopard

1876-Fez (IP Logged)
19 February, 2018 21:32
Quote:
tigerburnie
Ahh, but you have to beat us at the weekend(Sm100)(which might not be all that difficult, but with our new forwards coach you never know)

I well remember the days when you played us st home and I looked on in awe at some of your players and was happy if we lost by less thsn 20!!

SUPPORT Help for Heroes:
Help for Heroes

MyCupRunnethOver (IP Logged)
20 February, 2018 10:38
Blimey. The thought takes me back

GazzaFez (IP Logged)
20 February, 2018 11:08
There have been seasons gone by where the relegation bun fight has provided some real drama at the tail end of the season. Unlikely to be the case this year though. Right on topic it's the showdown between Irish and Wuss this weekend coming. Wuss are 16 ahead with 7 games to go. Should that translate to 20/21 ahead with 6 to go come Monday morning, I think we could reasonably assume the Fat Lady has finished her business.

Must be fixture of the weekend; is it on TV?

RobB (IP Logged)
20 February, 2018 11:45
Reading this article from The Guardian shows how things are exactly the same but totally different (if you get my meaning) - October 2001 in case you were wondering.

After being put to the sword here for the 25th time, there was some debate among the Saracens about whether or not they had been facing a Leicester second XV.

This might smack of a hedgehog wondering whether it has been squashed by a lorry or a car, but it was more than an academic question given that the champions' management seems to feel that the four weekends when they will be deprived of their internationals might be crucial for their title defence.

"This is one of the four matches which will be critical, they will probably decide the Premiership," said Leicester's director of rugby Dean Richards, but the matter-of-fact way in which Leicester swept aside their visitors will have left their rivals with few illusions. Even with six England internationals missing, it was business as usual.

The pattern was heartbreakingly familiar to the victims of the Tigers' lair: Saracens resisted stubbornly early on until overcome by their errors and lack of confidence while Leicester absorbed the pressure and took their chances.

"Leicester do the simple things well," said the Saracens chief executive François Pienaar. "They don't play the ball in their half, they keep the ball close to their forwards, they ruck very well, they defend solidly and they don't mind slowing the ball down in their half."

To make up for the fact that, including the internationals, Richards had a dozen front-line players unavailable, he did have the luxury of Josh Kronfeld making his first Premiership start, and he was purring afterwards at the All Black's ball-carrying and capacity to turn over Saracens.

And when the match went out of Saracens' reach in the 47th minute, it was largely thanks to Kronfeld's turn of speed when he found himself racing the Saracens' wing Brett Sparg for the ball after Andy Goode kicked for the corner. He pressurised Sparg into a short clearance, Saracens were penalised from the line-out, Tim Stimpson kicked for the corner and the rolling maul rewarded the prop Derek Jelley, extending the Tigers' lead from 11 to 16 points.

Pienaar felt his side's failure to stick to the basics in the second half was their downfall, rather than the club's injury crisis. But he must envy Leicester's strength in depth.

Richards must have relished, in particular, the effervescent finishing form of his former rugby leaguer Steve Booth. On the half-hour, he ran on to Glenn Gelderbloom's delicate chip for his third try of the season, and three minutes from the whistle he rounded off Leicester's afternoon by out-pacing Saracens' young full-back Adrian Winnan.

Leicester: Stimpson (Holtby, 79min); Booth , Gelderbloom, Kafer, Smith; Goode, Hamilton (Ellis, 74); Jelley, Chuter, Garforth (Freshwater, 68), Deacon (Manson-Bishop, 79), Kay (capt), W Johnson (Balding, 57), Kronfeld (Gustard, 79), Short.

Tries: Booth 2, Kafer, Jelley. Cons: Stimpson 2. Pens : Stimpson 3. Drop-goal: Goode.

Sin-bin: Balding 62min.

Saracens : Winnan; Sparg, Horan, Sorrell, O'Mahony; De Beer, Walshe; Harbut (Cairns, 53min), Russell, Phillips, A Benazzi (capt; K Benazzi, 68), Roche, Cheeseborough (Peacey, 57), Roques, Cole.

Try: De Beer: Con: De Beer: Pen: De Beer.

Attendance: 13,762.

Referee: S Leyshon (Bristol)

1876-Fez (IP Logged)
20 February, 2018 12:56
Quote:
GazzaFez
There have been seasons gone by where the relegation bun fight has provided some real drama at the tail end of the season. Unlikely to be the case this year though. Right on topic it's the showdown between Irish and Wuss this weekend coming. Wuss are 16 ahead with 7 games to go. Should that translate to 20/21 ahead with 6 to go come Monday morning, I think we could reasonably assume the Fat Lady has finished her business.
Must be fixture of the weekend; is it on TV?

BT Sport 1...1215... the warm up to our game on same channel ..

SUPPORT Help for Heroes:
Help for Heroes

Rolls (IP Logged)
20 February, 2018 14:18
Wasn’t it Eddie Jones first game in charge for us and we basically had to win away against Sale to avoid the drop? Might be wrong of course, but if someone could put me straight that would be great. Mind you in those days we always seemed to be playing someone to avoid the drop!

AlanE (IP Logged)
23 February, 2018 04:28
Quote:
Rolls
Wasn’t it Eddie Jones first game in charge for us and we basically had to win away against Sale to avoid the drop? Might be wrong of course, but if someone could put me straight that would be great. Mind you in those days we always seemed to be playing someone to avoid the drop!

Did he come in as a consultant for a period (towards the end of a relegation-threatened season - the one Rolls is citing?) before getting the main gig?

I was 17 miles from Graybridge before I was caught by the school leopard

chris87 (IP Logged)
23 February, 2018 07:54
Quote:
AlanE
Quote:
Rolls

Did he come in as a consultant for a period (towards the end of a relegation-threatened season - the one Rolls is citing?) before getting the main gig?

I think so.
If I remember Gaffney brought him in as a consultant

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net