rugbyunion
Latest News:
New Page 1

Whatever your views on Saracens, whether a Sarries fan or not, leave them here.

To leave a message on this board you must register. To register click HERE, it takes only a minute.
Non-rugby posts are welcome, but please prefix your subject header with "OT" or "Off Topic".

Thought for the Day:
SARRIES ARE REMAINERS!

Latest: CARDIFF BLUES 14:26 SARACENS
Next: Exeter Chiefs v Saracens Sat 22nd Dec, 15.00 Sandy Park, EPCR,
Audio: Click the link below. If it ain' there, it ain't on!
Upcoming TV: Exeter Chiefs v Saracens, Sat 22nd Dec 14.30 BT Sport 2

BBC Online Rugby Union Commentaries

The Fish | Rugby Union News | Fez Boys | Saracens Fixtures | The SSA | Rugby on TV

Freedom of the Borough of Barnet for Saracens RFC
BarnetSarrie (IP Logged)
21 February, 2018 20:05
Last night I was honoured to be one of the people invited to witness Barnet awarding the Freedom of the Borough to Sarries. I was struck by how far we have come in such a short time. I remember so well trying to galvanise everyone on this board to write, email, join R4R and counter the claims that we were simply taking advantage of the Council. That the plans for Copthall were a 'Trojan Horse'. It completely took over my life for nearly two years. But it was worth it.

I know it may seem a 'frippery', but it was really moving yesterday. All political parties united in thanks to those in and associated with OUR club who have made such a difference locally. The feeling was right up there with the very first time the hoardings were moved aside - and everyone was invited to 'KEEP ON THE GRASS' in that very first game at AzP.

So I wanted to say here - thank you to everyone who has helped. Thank you to everyone who supported that initial effort - and thank you and welcome to absolutely everyone who has joined our journey since we came back to London.
And you know - even though the winning is wonderful - it ISN'T really about the winning - its about going on that journey - together. (Sm152)

Re: Freedom of the Borough of Barnet for Saracens RFC
1876-Fez (IP Logged)
21 February, 2018 20:15
A fantastic honour and a tribite to all of those who work/worked to make AzP our home....

I did find Brian Coleman's reply to a tweet stating he was to busy washing his hair to attend ...pretty pathetic

SUPPORT Help for Heroes:
Help for Heroes

BarnetSarrie (IP Logged)
21 February, 2018 20:21
What did you expect????(Sm14) But Andrew Dismore was there - remember how he opposed the whole thing!? Almost scuppered everything! Point is - everyone agreed that it was a great success - even those who've been proven wrong. And that is such a tribute to everyone who has worked so hard to make a real difference!
I know we can't drive cattle through Brent Cross - but it is pretty rare for the Freedom of the Borough to be awarded. It is a real honour. Maybe I will go buy a Cow and do it anyway ...

Rolls (IP Logged)
21 February, 2018 22:21
Barnet Sarrie, you are a star and your input will, I hope, be appreciated by all of us fans. It is a fantastic honour for our club to be recognised in such a manner, it has been an interesting journey so far, long may it continue. While we are at it letís show our appreciation for Nigel Wray and friends without whose help, loyalty and enthusiasm for all things Saracens this journey might be going down a very different path.

tpr's headmistress (IP Logged)
22 February, 2018 09:10
Well said Rolls, BarnetSarrie worked tirelessly for the cause.(Sm152)

OldMarovian (IP Logged)
22 February, 2018 09:21
Quote:
Rolls
Barnet Sarrie, you are a star and your input will, I hope, be appreciated by all of us fans.

+1

I think it's lost on some of us (certainly me I am ashamed to admit) how hard some have worked largely unacknowledged for the "cause"

I am delighted you enjoyed the day and many thanks for all you and others have done.

Whilst you may not be able to able to drive cattle through Brent Cross I think we could honour the sentiment be adopting cow-bells as our instrument of choice at away games! Having recently "enjoyed" them at the Hanenkahm downhill I think they would be appreciated by the droning Wasps and chopping Exeter supporters smiling smiley

Waldo (IP Logged)
22 February, 2018 09:29
Quote:
OldMarovian

Whilst you may not be able to able to drive cattle through Brent Cross I think we could honour the sentiment be adopting cow-bells as our instrument of choice

That's not a bad idea (Sm13)

It is indeed excellent to be recognised as an asset to the local community. Nigel Wray often says Saracens are much more than just a Rugby Club.

I found this picture marking the occasion - I think this is the 1st time I've ever seen Nigel Wray in a tie !

http://dementiaclubuk.org.uk/images/photos/Freedom_Saracens.JPG

BarnetSarrie (IP Logged)
22 February, 2018 11:33
I love it!

They arent expensive to buy either!!!!
[www.amazon.co.uk]
I'm buying one!

Gryff (IP Logged)
22 February, 2018 12:19
Wasps used to use cowbells I don't think it has moved with them to Coventry I always liked them

BarnetSarrie (IP Logged)
22 February, 2018 15:04
I would like to see a Wasp try to pick up a Cowbell and ring it. I really would ..... wouldnt they be better off with Kazoos?
Sorry. My mind is trying to process the Wasp with a cowbell round its neck, trying to get off the ground.(Sm30)

tpr's headmistress (IP Logged)
22 February, 2018 17:55
Some Wasps used them - called by NZ name of Mooloos and were in support of their Gatland coach. Amazing what Google finds for you. Something to do with Waikato Rugby as below

The Waikato supporters are known for their use of cowbells at home matches. This tradition has been carried over to home matches of the Chiefs during Super Rugby home games. The Waikato mascot is a cow called Mooloo, and the supporters are known as Mooloo Men. By extension, the term now applies to anyone from the Waikato area.

The Mooloo Men also have one very special supporter who attends every home game, this man is widely known as Possum. He is situated up the top of a cherry picker which looks over the entire stadium and can be seen from any angle around the ground. Every few seconds he revs his chainsaw to show his passion and love for the Waikato rugby team. This is also a ploy in which to distract opposition players.

The chain saw sounds fun, although I doubt H&S would permit it at AzP. Living where we do the background noise is generally someone with a chainsaw. I'm not allowed to play with ours since I put an axe through my hand.(Sm124)

BarnetSarrie (IP Logged)
22 February, 2018 20:26
I've bought three - I'm going to give them out to brave people in the crowd!
(Sm100)

ninjafez (IP Logged)
22 February, 2018 20:45
I wonder what red Renault is doing these days...

Ninjafez - supporting Sarries and cleaning their signs since 2006!

BarnetSarrie (IP Logged)
22 February, 2018 21:50
Sometimes I wish this website had a 'like' button!
That name still makes my hackles rise!

TonyTaff (IP Logged)
23 February, 2018 13:48
Quote:
BarnetSarrie
I've bought three - I'm going to give them out to brave people in the crowd!
(Sm100)

Chainsaws?

£721.05 (*) donated to the Saracens Foundation due to visits to the Sarries frontpage [www.rugbynetwork.net]

Please read and submit articles for publication. (*) As at October 31, 2018.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net