rugbyunion
Latest News:
New Page 1

Whatever your views on Saracens, whether a Sarries fan or not, leave them here.

To leave a message on this board you must register. To register click HERE, it takes only a minute.
Non-rugby posts are welcome, but please prefix your subject header with "OT" or "Off Topic".

Thought for the Day:
PUTTING THE GLOSS ON

Latest: SARACENS 38 : 15 GLOUCESTER RUGBY
Next: Saracens v Bath Rugby Sat 29th Sep, 15.00 Allianz,
Audio: Click the link below. If it ain' there, it ain't on!
Upcoming TV: Saracens v Bath Rugby, Sat 29th Sept BT Sport 1 14.45

BBC Online Rugby Union Commentaries

The Fish | Rugby Union News | Fez Boys | Saracens Fixtures | The SSA

Farrell
lechef (IP Logged)
25 February, 2018 10:18
Does anyone know what happened in the tunnel?

Re: Farrell
Innings (IP Logged)
25 February, 2018 11:00
Forget the tunnel, does anybody know what happened on the pitch?

Innings

Points win matches: tries win hearts and minds.

F-F-F-FEZ (IP Logged)
25 February, 2018 11:30
Quote:
Innings
Forget the tunnel, does anybody know what happened on the pitch?

+1!

Seany_Boy0511 (IP Logged)
25 February, 2018 11:50
Farrell played well on the pitch but England as a team didn't

Highbury Saracen (IP Logged)
25 February, 2018 12:31
He had a scuffle with Scotland no.8 after warm up so will probably be cited,whereas neck roll on him & eye contact on Hughes will prob go unpunished smiling smiley

European champions 2016 & 2017

John Tee (IP Logged)
25 February, 2018 14:50
Whatever happened, he seemed to have trouble keeping a lid on it on the pitch.... I though petulance reared it's head again which went unnoticed by the ref..
But then playing in that game with England falling apart must have been hugely frustrating...
However, he has form. Needs to watch he doesn't set himself up as a target because he doesn't alway react well to niggle.

F-F-F-FEZ (IP Logged)
25 February, 2018 19:45
From a source close to the situation;

BBC rugby union reporter Sonja Mclaughlan

It was a bit shocking to find myself in the middle of a melee at Murrayfield as it's not something I've ever witnessed before.

I'd just finished doing interviews for BBC television and had moved to the mouth of the tunnel at the exact moment it kicked off to take photos of Scotland captain John Barclay and the team mascots.

I was aware of the atmosphere suddenly changing and turned round to see Owen Farrell animated and angry, being restrained by a number of his team-mates. Meanwhile, a number of Scotland players were trying to stop the scuffle escalating by pulling back one of their squad.

It was caught from a distance by BBC cameras and it's clear the fracas started as the players finished warming up and moved towards the mouth of the tunnel at the same time, which in itself is unusual.

There's not a lot of space there as Murrayfield has a dividing pillar at the entrance to the tunnel, so the players were suddenly in very close proximity to each other, creating a flashpoint.

AKA Handbags - apparently Scotland/England have been asked to explain the "pre match clash". I'd like an explanation of the post whistle non-clash....

SarrieGirl (IP Logged)
25 February, 2018 20:11
I've watched that BBC footage several times & although it is very distant & not all that clear - it seems to be a whole lot of fuss over nothing ! There's some pushing, shoving, grabbing & shouting but it's all over in 10 seconds !!

Media seem to be hyping it up into something major and some have even labelled it 'a fight' ! Do me a favour !! If it had happened on the field, I reckon it wouldn't even warrant a penalty !

Rugby Union disciplinary folk are a weird bunch at the best of times, but I would be extremely surprised if anything other than a verbal ticking-off for both camps were to come of this ! Total nonsense !

GazzaFez (IP Logged)
26 February, 2018 10:20
Faz seemed to lurch forward and down quite suddenly. I wonder was he tripped before the handbags?

sam0327 (IP Logged)
26 February, 2018 10:39
How much of this is down to the Australian Toads attitude. The management calmed Faz down a couple of years ago and he's been pretty good in that respect since then. It seems that the players come back to us in need of some work- injuries overwork etc.Has Small got to start all over again with Faz's temper?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 26/02/2018 11:53 by sam0327.

Roger G (IP Logged)
26 February, 2018 11:02
Faz has always been as abrasive on the pitch as he is humble off it. IMHO he's never quite achieved the necessary degree of control over his emotions (or his tackling technique) in the heat of a tough contest, either with us or for England. As long as he can be wound up, opponents will continue to try to do just that, especially if they can do it in reaction to his frequent debatable tackles.

Neville (IP Logged)
26 February, 2018 12:31
I also thought he was a bit near the mark with a couple of his hits

But I also thought that he was imperious in the midst of a debacle going on around him

Ford is good when things are going well, but as has been proved by us ( Bath in the final at HQ a couple of years ago) and others and again on saturday, he is far from international class when its all going pear shaped.

When he cant play off front foot ball, or if they opposition are all over him he has no answer.

I dont say that if Owen had started at 10 on saturday wed have won. Scotland were superb and we were knocked aside.

But I would install Owen as 10 in all future games. Because when the team is going backwards he is a fighter and has the all round game to cope as well as anybody else around

And is in a different league from Ford

daz_71 (IP Logged)
26 February, 2018 13:16
I'm genuinely concerned for Mako in this current England setup. At Sarries he has Jamie or Koch or Figallo to share the ball carrying duties in the front row. For England Dan Cole and Hartley are simply passengers when it comes to ball carrying. That means Mako ends up getting through even more work.

Mako already looks knackered and my big worry is he'll enmd up picking up an injury that rules him out for a while.

Re: George Ford - the media go on about his partnership with Farrell. I'm probably blinkered but isn't it Owen that makes Ford look good. It's not often the other way round. I do not understand why Eddie hasn't started Owen at 10 before just to ensure we have a plan B.

This isn't a new moan from me but I think Eddie hides behind his win record. Although you cannot knock that, have England progressed in the last year-18 months? I'm not convinced they have.

Anyway enough of a moan - just like to say well done to Scotland. Thoroughly deserved the win and in Huw Jones I think they have a genuinely world class player.

kakshaks (IP Logged)
26 February, 2018 16:59
Scotland deserved the win...... and I, yet again, can say.....Hartley, Brown, Ford, Robshaw.....why?

OldMarovian (IP Logged)
26 February, 2018 17:16
"Robshaw why?"

Because he's one of the few players to actually put in a proper shift over 80?

TonyTaff (IP Logged)
26 February, 2018 17:17
Apparently, the RFU's 'observations' are that Farrell was rushing to Ford's aid. Whether there's any footage to shed light on this is unclear - I would expect that the BBC would accede to any request to make all footage available; they had cameras in the tunnel later on, not clear whether they were present and rolling when the warm-ups came to an end.

£676.97 (*) donated to the Saracens Foundation due to visits to the Sarries frontpage [www.rugbynetwork.net]

Please read and submit articles for publication. (*) As at October 31, 2017.

The Bard (IP Logged)
26 February, 2018 18:49
Quote:
TonyTaff
Apparently, the RFU's 'observations' are that Farrell was rushing to Ford's aid..

Was this before or during the game?

Huxley (IP Logged)
26 February, 2018 18:49
There’s footage on the telegraph from a supporter’s phone, it doesn’t look like Ford is having any issue. It looks more like Faz trying to push his way through, and the Scotland player takes exception to it. It honestly seems a lot of fuss over very little.

#wolfpack (IP Logged)
27 February, 2018 10:00
Quote:
Neville
I also thought he was a bit near the mark with a couple of his hits

Me as well. It's the one aspect of his game which I find frustrating - he is a good tackler, he doesn't need to go as high as he does with the swinging arm. He does get it just right more often than not, but one day he'll get it wrong.

Re the scuffle- if it was anyone else it wouldn't be a thing.

OldMarovian (IP Logged)
27 February, 2018 11:30
Wolfpack. I basically agree and I seem to remember he got a card relatively recently for such a tackle in a club game?

That said in the Wales games England got two turnovers precisely because of that sort of momentum hit at the level the ball was being carried and even when he misses he frequently bounces players back either for him to have a second bit or others to complete the tackle.

Despite the high number of missed tackles his performance against Wales was a defensive masterclass. Shutting down space, forcing turnovers, etc

The game against Scotland didn't go so well and he'll be disappointed with that but overall I think looking at stats alone with his tackling is very misleading.

Innings (IP Logged)
27 February, 2018 13:49
It's not just about making the tackle. He flies forward and disrupts the opposition player's options, and if he also completes the tackle that's good. However, he's shut down the player, who can be mopped up by the following players. Seems perfectly good to me that if you have a player who can do that he'll always be a nuisance, so long as he's got the follow-up behind him.

As for the fracas in the tunnel, it seems now that Wilson said something to Ford that started it all. What was said, I guess only about four or five people actually know, the remainder will know what they were told afterwards. Whether any of them will volunteer to tell the beak, who knows?

Innings

Points win matches: tries win hearts and minds.

GazzaFez (IP Logged)
27 February, 2018 18:02
Quote:
Highbury Saracen
He had a scuffle with Scotland no.8 after warm up so will probably be cited,whereas neck roll on him & eye contact on Hughes will prob go unpunished smiling smiley

Ryan Wilson was the other guy involved in the scuffle. He's the same guy who had his fingers all over the place and he's now the same guy who has been cited for the alleged offence on Nathan H!

27 February, 2018 18:11
So Ryan Wilson was the naughty boy the whole time looking for a reaction, which he achieved

The Bard (IP Logged)
27 February, 2018 18:46
The alleged gouging was clear for all to see on TV. Was there not a case for the TMO to raise it with Nigel as soon as he was aware?

Which Tyler (IP Logged)
27 February, 2018 22:34
Fracas - [www.youtube.com]

OldMarovian (IP Logged)
27 February, 2018 23:18
Got to say that the footage cuts off as it gets to the good bit but it looks to me like Wilson is having "a word" with young Ford. Probably saying what a splendid chap he is and how his Mother is smashing and his Father a jolly good fellow when the cove Farrell rushes up and pushes him away. The bounder.

On the basis that it is what it looks like I like Farrell even more for sticking up for his mates and not letting the Scottish sledging go unanswered. (Sm110)

GazzaFez (IP Logged)
28 February, 2018 01:51
Hadn't seen this particular clip before. For all the world it does look like Wilson is shooting his mouth off at Ford, who's ignoring it, and Faz isn't. Certainly nothing in that scene to warrant any further action in itself. However, if the citing panel have seen this it may not help Wilson's case. I know they are only supposed to adjudicate on the specific offence he has been cited for, but they are only human after all and may take this as an indication that he was looking for trouble. As we have seen all too often the outcome is anyone's guess.

Bboonie (IP Logged)
28 February, 2018 10:46
Alternative footage

Sorry should have read complete thread before posting.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 28/02/2018 10:48 by Bboonie.

Which Tyler (IP Logged)
28 February, 2018 10:53
I gotta say - to me it just looked like he needed a crap; and was rushing to get in to the changing rooms.

If Ford isn't taking any offence at whatever words are being thrown at him, then it's not for anyone else to do so on his behalf; especially if no-one else around Ford is taking offence either.

I see a man rushing forwards in a hurry, pushes past a couple of people, and finds someone who takes offence at being pushed past

GazzaFez (IP Logged)
28 February, 2018 11:30
A bit more on Wilson. He's got previous and evidently a short fuse......

<< Wilson guilty of assault >>

tpr's headmistress (IP Logged)
28 February, 2018 11:46
The court heard that a minion, a red crayon and others in fancy dress were nearby as the incident unfolded.

A bit of levity in there methinks. Was it really worth reporting on.

OldMarovian (IP Logged)
28 February, 2018 11:54
Quote:
tpr's headmistress
The court heard that a minion, a red crayon and others in fancy dress were nearby as the incident unfolded.

Now I am genuinely concerned. The citing panel were there already? (Sm115)

tpr's headmistress (IP Logged)
28 February, 2018 12:39
Despicable!(Sm125)

Huxley (IP Logged)
28 February, 2018 15:44
No further action going to be taken by the Six Nations over the incident. So that was a storm in a teacup then...

28 February, 2018 17:31
A complete waste of time and a pointless story just to paint Farrell in a bad light yet again... I guess a journalist has to go to any lengths to get a story

saracens4life (IP Logged)
28 February, 2018 18:00
Wilson cleared for contact with the eye area as well #consistency

Highbury Saracen (IP Logged)
28 February, 2018 19:08
Quote:
saracens4life

It was his bent fingers that got him off!!
Absolutely unbelievable smiling smiley

European champions 2016 & 2017

Harrow Sarrie (IP Logged)
28 February, 2018 19:15
Quote:
saracens4life

Wasn't it a European citing panel that did for Ashton? I'm not sure he'd agree with consistency.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net