rugbyunion
Latest News:
New Page 1

Whatever your views on Saracens, whether a Sarries fan or not, leave them here.

To leave a message on this board you must register. To register click HERE, it takes only a minute.
Non-rugby posts are welcome, but please prefix your subject header with "OT" or "Off Topic".

Thought for the Day:
PUTTING THE GLOSS ON

Latest: SARACENS 38 : 15 GLOUCESTER RUGBY
Next: Saracens v Bath Rugby Sat 29th Sep, 15.00 Allianz,
Audio: Click the link below. If it ain' there, it ain't on!
Upcoming TV: Saracens v Bath Rugby, Sat 29th Sept BT Sport 1 14.45

BBC Online Rugby Union Commentaries

The Fish | Rugby Union News | Fez Boys | Saracens Fixtures | The SSA

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Re: Today
#wolfpack (IP Logged)
28 February, 2018 09:34
Enormous shout on Bergamaschi!

Very nearly there.

Updated team sheet:

15. Castaignede
14. Haughton
13. Johnston
12. Bailey
11. McAvoy
10. Goode
9. Williams
1. ????
2. Ross
3. Bergamaschi
4. Raiwalui
5. Ches
6. Roques
7. ????
8. Randell

16. Kershaw
17. Croall
18. Broster
19. Skirving
20. Kirton
21. Sorrell
22. Winnan

Some clues:
The loosehead joined us for one season from West Hartlepool before leaving us for Worcester Warriors.
The openside played for us between the years 2001-2004. He made 27 appearances and scored 1 try. He is now coaching up in Yorkshire I think.

Adey (IP Logged)
28 February, 2018 09:54
If it’s not Don, Brussell or Skirving through the academy it should be Ryan Peacey. If it’s not him it can only be some random one cap wonder!

#wolfpack (IP Logged)
28 February, 2018 09:57
Quote:
Adey
If it’s not Don, Brussell or Skirving through the academy it should be Ryan Peacey. If it’s not him it can only be some random one cap wonder!

Correct.

1 gap left...

15. Castaignede
14. Haughton
13. Johnston
12. Bailey
11. McAvoy
10. Goode
9. Williams
1. ????
2. Ross
3. Bergamaschi
4. Raiwalui
5. Ches
6. Roques
7. Peacey
8. Randell

16. Kershaw
17. Croall
18. Broster
19. Skirving
20. Kirton
21. Sorrell
22. Winnan

The Bard (IP Logged)
28 February, 2018 10:06
Johnny Masters?

Seany_Boy0511 (IP Logged)
28 February, 2018 10:54
My friend had an old 2003 program from a different game and I believe there was a prop called Joe Ross? Or was it John Ross something like that anyway

28 February, 2018 11:01
Oh dear just seen he is already in the team DOH.

Eric Browett (IP Logged)
28 February, 2018 11:05
Stephen Sparks?

#wolfpack (IP Logged)
28 February, 2018 11:15
Quote:
Eric Browett
Stephen Sparks?

Correct!!

15. Castaignede
14. Haughton
13. Johnston
12. Bailey
11. McAvoy
10. Goode
9. Williams
1. Sparks
2. Ross
3. Bergamaschi
4. Raiwalui
5. Ches
6. Roques
7. Peacey
8. Randell

16. Kershaw
17. Croall
18. Broster
19. Skirving
20. Kirton
21. Sorrell
22. Winnan

Glory Days.

Rupes (IP Logged)
28 February, 2018 11:53
I suppose the question to come out of that is how long Ches would have lasted on the pitch, given the TMO all-seeing coverage we have nowadays!

That 13/14/15 combination isn't bad either.

Adey (IP Logged)
28 February, 2018 12:40
And that team Ladies and Gentlemen who joined us from when we moved to Allianz Park, is why we have a thread every season saying we are now safe from relegation

Rupes (IP Logged)
28 February, 2018 14:05
I know comparing eras is difficult, but who from that team would you have in our 1st XV now?

For example, Johnston vs Bosch? Castaingede vs Goode (Alex)? Haughton vs Maitland?
Sorrell vs Barritt?!

GazzaFez (IP Logged)
28 February, 2018 14:21
Quote:
Rupes
I know comparing eras is difficult, but who from that team would you have in our 1st XV now?

For me that's an easy one: Castaignede would be 50/50 with AG. None of the others, although at his best I did like Taine.

#wolfpack (IP Logged)
28 February, 2018 14:45
I agree - no one from that team other than TC would get in (and even TC may have to settle for a bench spot).

Although, now Bosch is beginning to look like he might be entering his twilight years, might there be a case for Super Kev to play at 13?

28 February, 2018 15:21
I think we should roll out a team from the past once a month to try and guess! Excellent fun

RobB (IP Logged)
28 February, 2018 15:42
Quote:
Seany_Boy0511
I think we should roll out a team from the past once a month to try and guess! Excellent fun

Agreed - How about one for the Quins game.just need to pick a year.

saracens4life (IP Logged)
28 February, 2018 15:54
Skirving as a replacement back row is decent - not dissimilar to Jackson Wray.

Del Boy one on his day (rare I know) might make it.

I'd be keen for more of those! Sporcle only takes you back to 2011 (apart from a random one on Clermont from 2004 which was very hard Sporcle

JO'G (IP Logged)
28 February, 2018 16:48
Had the team been playing on Saturday been compared to 2003, then Thomas and Haughton the only ones in the backs. I'm assuming that Thomas would play 10 to avoid the conflict with Alex

In the forwards Ches and Randell probably

On the bench pretty well the whole 2003 group would on the face of it be superior

Rupes (IP Logged)
28 February, 2018 17:29
If we want to go for the Quins match, can I suggest we try the Quins away game when we conceded a bonus point in the first 18 (?) minutes of the game? We weren't great then.

Not a clue what year that was!

AlanE (IP Logged)
28 February, 2018 22:32
Quote:
Rupes
If we want to go for the Quins match, can I suggest we try the Quins away game when we conceded a bonus point in the first 18 (?) minutes of the game? We weren't great then.
Not a clue what year that was!

2004 (2004/5 season) And Quins, in their relegation season, I think, were standing at 9 defeats, and a draw in Europe. Must have been the fault of the new Southern Hemisphere half back pairing. (Think that one must be quite an easy pint.)

I was 17 miles from Graybridge before I was caught by the school leopard

RobB (IP Logged)
01 March, 2018 07:43
i was thinking of the 2001 home game at xmas at VR. Big crowd IIRC and a Sarries win.

AP (IP Logged)
02 March, 2018 09:52
Those were the days! Another soul destroying defeat each week and the PA blares out "And your Saracens man of the match is ..."

I've only walked out early once and that was the game when the stands started emptying soon after half time. It was when the ball was being kicked barely into the other half and no-one was moving to chase it that did it.

I've more sympathy this time with the early leavers - in addition to the quality (not) of the play, there had been so many stoppages that the game lacked any fluency and it was absolutely freezing in the stands! Plus a later than usual 3.30 pm KO, and the attraction of beating the queues out of the stadium and the car parks or for coaches and trains to get home for food and warmth is understandable!

Let's hope Exeter is better on all counts this Sunday.

Successful hills are here to stay
Everything must be this way
Gentle streets where people play
Welcome to the Soft Parade

#wolfpack (IP Logged)
02 March, 2018 10:24
I think Saracens lost part of their soul when the little car carrying the kicking tee disappeared and there was no more Dominoes 2 minutes mayhem or whatever it was called.

The safest advertising hedge from any company ever - of course we weren't going to score any points in those 2 minutes.

villagesarrie (IP Logged)
02 March, 2018 13:20
Two minute mayhem - didn't they play the Hawaii 50 theme? Sometimes that was the best bit of the match...and when they played Rock the Casbah, one of my all time favourite tracks. Think that was why we stuck with Sarries - certainly wasn't for the results on the pitch at that time! Think, for us, a particular low point was a match at Wasps (High Wycombe days) when we got absolutely hammered and all the Waspies around us just couldn't stop crowing & not in a nice way. Made worse when I got home (in deepest Kent) to have a lady in a local shop, bursting out laughing when she heard we were Sarries - needless to say, she was a Waspie. Can't exactly remember when that was.

RobB (IP Logged)
02 March, 2018 14:01
And wasn't Vicarage Road the COLDEST place in the south east when the wind was blowing in from the east. All that wet concrete that seemed to suck any warmth from you. (Likening this to the Dementors from the Harry Potter books)

My worst time was one boxing day where we were staying with Family in Sheringham. Delayed 6hr journey down arriving 10 mins after kick off, getting our pants pulled down on the pitch by London Irish, left 10 mins before the end and had a 4hr journey back. The will to live was being tested that day.

The Bard (IP Logged)
02 March, 2018 18:06
Quote:
villagesarrie
Two minute mayhem - didn't they play the Hawaii 50 theme? Sometimes that was the best bit of the match...and when they played Rock the Casbah, one of my all time favourite tracks. Think that was why we stuck with Sarries - certainly wasn't for the results on the pitch at that time! Think, for us, a particular low point was a match at Wasps (High Wycombe days) when we got absolutely hammered and all the Waspies around us just couldn't stop crowing & not in a nice way. Made worse when I got home (in deepest Kent) to have a lady in a local shop, bursting out laughing when she heard we were Sarries - needless to say, she was a Waspie. Can't exactly remember when that was.

Probably dec 2003 when we lost 43 nil. And we were lucky to get nil!
The mayhem was actually 5 minutes, but we only managed it once and I do remember cashing it in!
It was originally Wendy’s, and I remember Gloucester fans chanting ‘you’re not getting any chips ‘ after the customary barren 5 minutes!

villagesarrie (IP Logged)
02 March, 2018 18:55
Yup, that was the match. I remember just praying we'd get 3 points so we weren't nilled. No such luck. We hadn't been supporters for that long at that time, just a couple of seasons...but it was OK> We've improved since then!

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net