rugbyunion
Latest News:
New Page 1

Whatever your views on Saracens, whether a Sarries fan or not, leave them here.

To leave a message on this board you must register. To register click HERE, it takes only a minute.
Non-rugby posts are welcome, but please prefix your subject header with "OT" or "Off Topic".

Thought for the Day:
PUTTING THE GLOSS ON

Latest: SARACENS 38 : 15 GLOUCESTER RUGBY
Next: Saracens v Bath Rugby Sat 29th Sep, 15.00 Allianz,
Audio: Click the link below. If it ain' there, it ain't on!
Upcoming TV: Saracens v Bath Rugby, Sat 29th Sept BT Sport 1 14.45

BBC Online Rugby Union Commentaries

The Fish | Rugby Union News | Fez Boys | Saracens Fixtures | The SSA

A game too far
Stopsy (IP Logged)
25 February, 2018 17:26
For your squad, remember how your first win at Welford Road felt? This is the same for us. Our best game of the season albeit against a much depleted Saracens team. By the way, what a player Malin seems!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 25/02/2018 17:50 by Stopsy.

Re: A game too far
Huxley (IP Logged)
25 February, 2018 17:32
Congratulations Stopsy, both teams got exactly what they deserved from the game.

Dave Berko (IP Logged)
25 February, 2018 17:34
Have to agree. Far too many out plus too many 1st games back after very long spells out. Also agree re Malins.

But Tigers were excellent and worthy winners.

King Zak (IP Logged)
25 February, 2018 17:38
Quote:
Huxley
Congratulations Stopsy, both teams got exactly what they deserved from the game.

Spot on!

Nous sommes l'armée noir et rouge !

ninjafez (IP Logged)
25 February, 2018 18:02
We were forced into the worse performance I have seen at azp except that fateful game with wasps, congrats stropsy, you team deserved all 5 points

Ninjafez - supporting Sarries and cleaning their signs since 2006!

Rolls (IP Logged)
25 February, 2018 18:44
Can’t begrudge Tigers the points, they played pretty much the best team they could, we played what we’d got left. Our play at the breakdowns was the worst I’ve ever seen, just awful. Full marks to our subs, Malins, Spurling, Whitely etc they really looked like they wanted to redress the balance, our starting line up never fired, with a few exceptions.
Funny thing is, I felt more downhearted for 65 minutes in this game than I did for the St Valentine’s Day Massacre! Oh well, Chiefs away next week, see you there.

samgibbo (IP Logged)
25 February, 2018 18:50
much like the home fixture against Exeter, we failed to kick for field position and attacked from the wrong areas of the pitch which resulted in errors and is losing possession

OldMarovian (IP Logged)
25 February, 2018 18:56
Well done to Stopsy and Leicester but I am not sure I accept that it was a game too far for us.

Not for the first time this season the gameplan was absolutely brain-dead considering the opposition. Kick (into the wind) infield with an indifferent chase to an opposition who relish running it back. Yes injuries derailed us to an extent but Spencer, goal-kicking aside, played as badly as I have seen him and yet wasn't hooked till what? ten minutes left? Felt like a repetition of us leaving Mako on once he had picked up his fourth penalty and then got an inevitable card. Also what was the plan with one up runners all game? Really, really disappointed.

Earles also had a shocker. First try was a hard finish second one was butchered.

Last twenty was pretty positive and we were so close to getting a try in the last play. Who'd have thought that moving a big team like Leicester around and cutting angles was more successful than running straight at them?? (Sm54)

Hope that Clark and Vailanu are ok and also the Leicester 12.

Malins was class. Barritt tireless. Impressed with Spurlings work rate and willingness to get involved despite taking a huge hit soon after he came on.

Credit to Leicester but this was a self-inflicted loss.

The Bard (IP Logged)
25 February, 2018 19:24
Can’t disagree with much of that. Tigers pack played like a pack, we were all over the place . Defence was largely good, but lapses in concentration cost us dear. It was our ball handling, poor kick chase and breakdown work that really disappointed.
Vieanu is a true world class full back it must be said

RustySword (IP Logged)
25 February, 2018 21:04
Cheers Stopsy, generous and gentlemanly as always.

I presume that whoever broke Clark's wrist (such is the rumour I hear) whispered "this is for Rob" into his shell-like.

OldMarovian (IP Logged)
25 February, 2018 21:17
Snip

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 26/02/2018 11:33 by TonyTaff.

Jim 55 (IP Logged)
25 February, 2018 21:37
Quote:
OldMarovian
snip
Yup +1.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 26/02/2018 11:33 by TonyTaff.

RustySword (IP Logged)
25 February, 2018 23:56
[snip]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 26/02/2018 11:32 by TonyTaff.

Stopsy (IP Logged)
26 February, 2018 08:40
And this thread had been civilised up until now, shame.

tpr's headmistress (IP Logged)
26 February, 2018 08:42
Sometimes Stopsy, the emotion is too much.(Sm147)

Stopsy (IP Logged)
26 February, 2018 08:44
I'll have to rewatch it (not just for this) and see what happened to Calum but I suspect he damaged himself landing much as Owen did. Now I know the lad has talked about his inner chimp but whispering to himself? really?

Roger G (IP Logged)
26 February, 2018 09:02
IMHO this game shows the value of our normal rotation policy, which we haven't been able to operate for a while. Our guys out there seemed tired to me, which is not surprising since the same group have had to play game after game due to international call-ups and injuries. That's not a moan, just the way it is. Also, it is just one poor performance. I'm very confident that we can (note: "can" not always will or should) beat anybody, home or away, when we have anything close to our first choice team available, so as long as we stay in the top 4 the chance of AP silverware is still very much alive.

TonyTaff (IP Logged)
26 February, 2018 11:36
A moderator writes: Please try to play the ball, not the man (or woman).

£676.97 (*) donated to the Saracens Foundation due to visits to the Sarries frontpage [www.rugbynetwork.net]

Please read and submit articles for publication. (*) As at October 31, 2017.

Neville (IP Logged)
26 February, 2018 12:37
Well played Leicester and Stopsy. Class both

Seany_Boy0511 (IP Logged)
26 February, 2018 13:32
Stopsy very deserving win congratulations, don't worry about silly comments from some posters, nobody deliberately breaks people's wrists, obviously there is a little bit of bad blood between Clark and Leicester and therefore they will probably go in even harder on him... But not to intentionally injure him!

Well done and best of luck for the rest of the season

Maybe Malins should start down at Exeter? Mix it up a little

Stopsy (IP Logged)
26 February, 2018 13:57
Malins should be kept safe from harm until he joins us.... (Sm128)

1876-Fez (IP Logged)
26 February, 2018 16:37
Quote:
Stopsy
Malins should be kept safe from harm until he joins us.... (Sm128)
Please don't even joke about it. ;-) . Faz Loz and Max...can we keep them all happy in the future?

SUPPORT Help for Heroes:
Help for Heroes

Innings (IP Logged)
26 February, 2018 18:49
A game too far? It's pretty much known at the beginning of the season how many games are to be played. The only game too far would be getting into knockout stages and being knocked out through being knackered, as we have known from experience.

Innings

Points win matches: tries win hearts and minds.

Stopsy (IP Logged)
26 February, 2018 21:26
But Innings, the pre-season can take into account the fixture list and international absentees. What it cannot do, within the cap, is plan for multiple additional absences particularly in the same position

#wolfpack (IP Logged)
27 February, 2018 10:59
I don't think there is any coincidence that England and Sarries have been stuttering a bit this season, with - with the exception of the always excellent Owen Farrell - our big players being really quiet (or injured).

Maro has been very quiet this 6N (and season in general I think), Mako has tried manfully but hasn't got the purchase he used to and his scrummaging has gone backwards, George Kruis had such a poor couple of months he went from Lions starter to out of the Sarries team, Jamie George hasn't been quite as busy as he was last year, Billy Vunipola has played very little in the last 12 months.

On the Sarries boys - Wiggy has had fits and starts, Marcello looks a yard off, Rhodesy has been injured most of the year, Jackson is having his quietest season for a few years etc.

I just think some of these boys are very tired both mentally and physically. So many big games, so many physical games - no wonder every so often they look like they've lost a tiny bit of desire.

I know he was v poor at the weekend, but for me our best player this season has been our replacement scrum half - closely followed by a 19 year old lock in his first year of first team rugby. This is in a team with some of the best players in the world. There has to be a reason for that.

We're a very good team (and very very good when we play Northampton) and we may well end up winning some silverware at the end of the season, but I just think that the more we and England flog our players the more we should expect results and performances like some of those we've seen this season.

At the end of the year I'd like Eddie Jones to leave anyone who went on the Lions tour at home to give them some proper recovery time. He'll be sniffing a southern hempisphere whitewash, however, so no chance - and then the cycle will start again in September.

Highbury Saracen (IP Logged)
27 February, 2018 11:47
Agree totally
I dont think when our 6 Lions come back it will have quite as much of an effect as we are hoping!

European champions 2016 & 2017

Innings (IP Logged)
27 February, 2018 13:55
Nor the Scot, nor the Welsh chap, (who BTW is also a Lion), nor Rhodes, nor Billy, nor the other Scot, nor the Frenchman, nor the big Aussie. AS everyone knows, Sarries have forty players in their squad who would be marquee signings in any other set-up, so losing the best players on the nominal roll is not a problem.

Innings

Points win matches: tries win hearts and minds.

OldMarovian (IP Logged)
27 February, 2018 18:04
Quote:
#wolfpack
He'll be sniffing a southern hempisphere whitewash, however, so no chance - and then the cycle will start again in September.

More like trying to avoid a bloodbath. Erasmus is working on having his SA "foreigners" available and over-turning the current rules. He'll still be constrained by the 50/50 rule but potentially he could have the Montpellier boys back, Koch? Vermuellan, Faf de Klerk, Pienaar, Hougarrd, etc

I don't see Jones increasing the risk of a humping by leaving first XV players at home.

Mobbs (IP Logged)
27 February, 2018 21:13
Please feel free to make a similar performance at the Gardens in a few weeks time !

The Bard (IP Logged)
27 February, 2018 21:56
If we do you might just make up the 150 points difference in one go!

Seany_Boy0511 (IP Logged)
28 February, 2018 15:24
We will have our full strength team by then, so fortunate for you mobbs, that is unlikely to happen again

And after all we want 200 (Sm100)

tpr's headmistress (IP Logged)
28 February, 2018 19:38
With regard to Saints - where is SaintEd these days - I hope he is well and just fed up with rugby.

Highbury Saracen (IP Logged)
04 March, 2018 17:48
Now that game at Sandy Park may have been a game too far!!
The lads tried really hard but looked dead on their feet at end!
Time for 3 weeks much needed recouperation!
Just seems we arrive at this period every year trying to get a top two spot with minimal numbers!
Some light at end of tunnel could be Pests failure to get 5 against Irish....could prove costly for home semi

European champions 2016 & 2017

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net