rugbyunion
Latest News:
New Page 1

Whatever your views on Saracens, whether a Sarries fan or not, leave them here.

To leave a message on this board you must register. To register click HERE, it takes only a minute.
Non-rugby posts are welcome, but please prefix your subject header with "OT" or "Off Topic".

Thought for the Day:
PUTTING THE GLOSS ON

Latest: SARACENS 38 : 15 GLOUCESTER RUGBY
Next: Saracens v Bath Rugby Sat 29th Sep, 15.00 Allianz,
Audio: Click the link below. If it ain' there, it ain't on!
Upcoming TV: Saracens v Bath Rugby, Sat 29th Sept BT Sport 1 14.45

BBC Online Rugby Union Commentaries

The Fish | Rugby Union News | Fez Boys | Saracens Fixtures | The SSA

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Come on you Sarries!
OldMarovian (IP Logged)
04 March, 2018 14:53
I am ready for the game ... (Sm159)

Good luck boys and well-done travelling support. COYS!!

Re: Come on you Sarries!
Sarriebone (IP Logged)
04 March, 2018 14:56
Ref's first decision..is wrong and costs us three points. Great start

Harrow Sarrie (IP Logged)
04 March, 2018 14:59
Penalty against Sarries for throwing the ball at an Exeter player... Oh dear.

04 March, 2018 15:00
Another harsh penalty against us. Need to get on his good side quick or this will be a tough afternoon.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/03/2018 15:01 by Harrow Sarrie.

samgibbo (IP Logged)
04 March, 2018 15:02
Discipline!!!!

Sarriebone (IP Logged)
04 March, 2018 15:04
Not sure what that last one was for?

saracens4life (IP Logged)
04 March, 2018 15:09
Penalty count 4-0 after 15 minutes

Shall we do a sweepstake?

04 March, 2018 15:11
Scrum penatly to Exeter (after their early push results in a reset scrum...)

Highbury Saracen (IP Logged)
04 March, 2018 15:13
Early shove from Exeter but he doesnt penalise them tells them to be more patient!!!

European champions 2016 & 2017

04 March, 2018 15:13
Anotber (double) early push, another reset. Not our day by the looks of it so far.

04 March, 2018 15:20
Penalty for neck roll. 6 now in just over 20 mins.

04 March, 2018 15:22
Getting penalised for an illegal clearout against Exeter...lol

04 March, 2018 15:26
Penalty for deliberate knock down by Kruis. There's no need to make it easy for them!!!
Tad lucky not to get yellow to be honest.

Sarriebone (IP Logged)
04 March, 2018 15:37
Are we not penalising crooked throws at lineouts anymore?

Static (IP Logged)
04 March, 2018 15:42
Well better than I feared at half time. Will settle for 14-12 and the wind. Now just have to keep it going. Still fear their bench.

derbyshire fan (IP Logged)
04 March, 2018 15:43
Boys look to be lacking a little confidence in loose play - although the decision to go for the lineout at the end was a good one

04 March, 2018 15:43
Not sure how we're still in this game after the penalties given away.
2 good tries to be fair.

Come on you Sarries!!!

04 March, 2018 15:44
How on earth are we drawing?!

Fair play on the confidence to go catch and drive there

sarricen (IP Logged)
04 March, 2018 15:47
Is the ref that biased for us? Every call for us is apparently ‘contentious’ or dodgy on the BBC text commentary. Not watching so can’t tell

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/03/2018 15:59 by sarricen.

OldMarovian (IP Logged)
04 March, 2018 15:55
Proud of them so far. Where was this performance last week?

Spencer looks much more composed and his box kicking and the chase are both spot on. Competing at the breakdown and attacking well. We're also exposing them when we put width on the ball. Lovely all-in (almost) lineout and drive for the try. Shades of Wales v the All Blacks. Lovely line from Earl.

Some calls go against you in any game. I think Kruis staying on has probably cancelled out any complaints we could have to date. Let's make it about the performance, not the ref.

I think we have the wind in the second half and whilst they have a very strong bench we are masters of our own destiny!! COYS.

samgibbo (IP Logged)
04 March, 2018 16:06
Great endeavour but an LV feel to the team now and I fear Exeter’s bench will be too much for us

samgibbo (IP Logged)
04 March, 2018 16:13
Has Cowan dickie thrown a straight line out yet?!

04 March, 2018 16:19
Defence in the last 5-10 minutes has been phenomenal

Sarriebone (IP Logged)
04 March, 2018 16:35
Quote:
samgibbo
Has Cowan dickie thrown a straight line out yet?!

Nope, not a single one

samgibbo (IP Logged)
04 March, 2018 16:46
Disappointing result but could not fault the heart and passion. A lot of young players will learn from this.
Blair Cowan looks like a good addition.

Sarriebone (IP Logged)
04 March, 2018 16:50
But for a few decisions we could have been right there, that being said Kruis was lucky to stay on imo. Agree Blair Cowan looks useful, shouldn't really be surprised.

Huxley (IP Logged)
04 March, 2018 16:56
Good effort from the team, think the younger players are showing some real class. Have to say that I think we were reffed out of the game, Carley loves the sound of is own voice. Impossible to get a foothold in the game, especially with the power Exeter have. Really not sure why we didn’t take the 3 at the end, might cost us a home semi.

Has anyone else noticed an increase in the times the TMO is chipping against one side, but not the other? I’m thinking Skelton against Quins, and today (although this was a pen, as was the one against Witten that was ignored). Saying that, Kruis lucky not to get a card.

OldMarovian (IP Logged)
04 March, 2018 17:00
Agree with the general view that the team played well. Exeter are a very good side and their direct runners took their toll as we knew they would. Tbh closer at the end than I thought it would be and I think if we'd sneaked a score and an LBP there could have been few complaints from Chiefs.

Like the look of Segun and a number of younger players including Earl showed up well. Hopefully the next time these two sides meet both will have access to all their players and we can see a really competitive game.

ninjafez (IP Logged)
04 March, 2018 17:08
This was always going to be a tough ask, guess it's why I was so crestfallen last week

Ninjafez - supporting Sarries and cleaning their signs since 2006!

1876-Fez (IP Logged)
04 March, 2018 17:17
It was always going to be a tough ask... with so many players missing and then losing Brad and Chris early only made it more difficult...

Hey ho we are still in the top 4 and with some returning players should be in a good place come seasons end...

SUPPORT Help for Heroes:
Help for Heroes

flavman 35 (IP Logged)
04 March, 2018 17:18
I do avoid slating referees but today there were many decisions that were given against us but not for us. Very inconsistent. FRUSTRATING. !!!!!!!!!

Highbury Saracen (IP Logged)
04 March, 2018 17:30
Taking 3pts at end would’ve only made score 24-15!!

European champions 2016 & 2017

The Bard (IP Logged)
04 March, 2018 17:55
Could always see us losing that last lineout,we'd used that move all afternoon. Surprised too that we tried to power over with the forwards when it looked as though our backs were more capable of getting through.
Scrum concerns don't go away even though they got away with every early push. And even with the returning (hopefully!) players I don't see it getting ant better.
Ben S was much, much better as was Nathan Earle in the first half at least. Defensive intensity will have pleased the coaches one would think.
It just makes last week even more frustrating as there was definitely a win there for the taking.

villagesarrie (IP Logged)
04 March, 2018 17:57
Could have been worse! We're still in top 4 and now have a bit of a break which can't come quickly enough tbh. Some of our players will be back and as long as we stay in top 4, can't complain at that position considering the huge number of players out.

Huxley (IP Logged)
04 March, 2018 18:02
Quote:
Highbury Saracen
Taking 3pts at end would’ve only made score 24-15!!

Agreed, but there was still time for Exeter to take the kick off, handing us possession. I know if we get the try it’s a great decision, and obviously hindsight is always 20/20.

fatheralice (IP Logged)
04 March, 2018 18:04
Quote:
Huxley
Good effort from the team, think the younger players are showing some real class. Have to say that I think we were reffed out of the game, Carley loves the sound of is own voice. Impossible to get a foothold in the game, especially with the power Exeter have. Really not sure why we didn’t take the 3 at the end, might cost us a home semi.
Has anyone else noticed an increase in the times the TMO is chipping against one side, but not the other? I’m thinking Skelton against Quins, and today (although this was a pen, as was the one against Witten that was ignored). Saying that, Kruis lucky not to get a card.

you were trailing by 12 pts....how does closing that to 9 pts help??

fatheralice (IP Logged)
04 March, 2018 18:08
Spencer's miss from 40m out with the wind behind mid way through the second half was quite a big momentum swing. Was amazed when he didn't have the legs. Misjudged it I think, as he tried to stroke it over rather than actually kicking it.

The decision to kick for the corner in the first half was a non decision in truth.
Bosch didn't have the legs from 38m out in front in the warm up, so there was no way Sarries would have got the kick from the angle into the wind.

Edit apologies, forgot there was a second pen from that lineout.
Still think it was a tough kick into the wind, as evidenced by the missed conversion.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/03/2018 02:57 by fatheralice.

Huxley (IP Logged)
04 March, 2018 18:08
Quote:
fatheralice
Quote:
Huxley

you were trailing by 12 pts....how does closing that to 9 pts help??

Because, as I literally just said, we then get possession from the Exeter kick off! Exeter were always going to compete hard at that line out.

fatheralice (IP Logged)
04 March, 2018 18:10
Was impressed by Ben Earle. Looks quite a prospect with good pace and footwork too. Not quite as explosive as Sam Simmonds, but up there.
Jackson Wray was excellent as ever, and Alex Goode showed what a classy footballer he is.

Seany_Boy0511 (IP Logged)
04 March, 2018 18:12
I'm interested to hear what Matt Carley's explanation for the penalty try was...

Jim 55 (IP Logged)
04 March, 2018 18:17
The guys did well, sitting there it was difficult to understand why the ref gave some decisions, I thought a couple of the team were frustrated with him to say the least.
A reality check shows we pushed them hard at times but Exeter deserved the win. When you look at who we have to come back it's at least 10 of what could be considered the starting 15 plus 3-4-5 of the guys who make up our first choice 23.
We're in a good place, IMHO....

King Zak (IP Logged)
04 March, 2018 18:25
Quote:
Seany_Boy0511
I'm interested to hear what Matt Carley's explanation for the penalty try was...

Quite. We may well have conceded a penalty at that scrum, although it was hard to identify as both packs weee ‘chrating’; but to say that I’m all probability a try would have been scored seems a bit tenuous. Yellow card for anyone he identifies, fair enough. Would Exeter have then scored a try? Possibly; but I’m not sure gifting it to them was appropriate

Anyway, the positives; Ben Earl, Rotimi Segun - and ‘Proper Job’ at the Blue Ball!!

Nous sommes l'armée noir et rouge !

King Zak (IP Logged)
04 March, 2018 18:27
Quote:
Jim 55
The guys did well, sitting there it was difficult to understand why the ref gave some decisions, I thought a couple of the team were frustrated with him to say the least.
A reality check shows we pushed them hard at times but Exeter deserved the win. When you look at who we have to come back it's at least 10 of what could be considered the starting 15 plus 3-4-5 of the guys who make up our first choice 23.
We're in a good place, IMHO....

Agreed!

Nous sommes l'armée noir et rouge !

Seany_Boy0511 (IP Logged)
04 March, 2018 18:32
Quote:
King Zak
Quote:
Seany_Boy0511

Quite. We may well have conceded a penalty at that scrum, although it was hard to identify as both packs weee ‘chrating’; but to say that I’m all probability a try would have been scored seems a bit tenuous. Yellow card for anyone he identifies, fair enough. Would Exeter have then scored a try? Possibly; but I’m not sure gifting it to them was appropriate

Anyway, the positives; Ben Earl, Rotimi Segun - and ‘Proper Job’ at the Blue Ball!!

Fair enough, yes also a mention to Nathan Earle who looked more up for it today, we had proper job at our hotel so was on tribute in the Blue Ball, loved the atmosphere from us Sarries fans as well, just one of thoae things, onwards and upwards

maynas (IP Logged)
04 March, 2018 19:03
Scrum is worrying though, especially that stat they put up that shows us as worst in the league on I think scrum on our own ball. Jamie and Mary will help but its been a bit of a concern even with them.

The Bard (IP Logged)
04 March, 2018 20:13
Quote:
maynas
Scrum is worrying though, especially that stat they put up that shows us as worst in the league on I think scrum on our own ball. Jamie and Mary will help but its been a bit of a concern even with them.

You've got to be able to scrum well with a name like that!

Waldo (IP Logged)
05 March, 2018 06:06
Quote:
The Bard
Quote:
maynas

You've got to be able to scrum well with a name like that!

Hail Mary !

SBFez (IP Logged)
05 March, 2018 09:59
Have to agree that although a few decisions seemed to go against us the Chiefs did deserve the win.

But I will question one thing- a minute or 2 before their penalty try they threw a lineout which seemed to bounce off one of their players forwards and then (I think, memory is failing) we then knocked it on- they had a scrum- which then ultimately led to Goodey being held up behind the line before the scrum try.

Anyone else know why it wasn't a knock-on? Think a commentator said it hit someone on the back but a) is this then not a knock-on (genuine question) or b) did anyone see any replays because I didn't

Sara'sman (IP Logged)
05 March, 2018 11:27
SB - 60:50 - Ex lineout went through Skinner's (4) hands as they tried a short/front lineout, then hit a prop's head before we knocked on 10s later. Not at all clear that Skinner touched/knocked on the ball and since the header was not deliberate, no Knock on. Before the penalty try we managed to reach the ex 22 (Loz "in front" following a knock on). Goode tackled 67:30. No clear disadvantage to us in my opinion, just an example of how a referee is making difficult calls every few seconds of play.

I thought Kruis was immense, Isiekwe and Wray excellent again. Earl and Segun now know they can live at this level and it was pleasing to see Spencer return to form and Earle put his 'mare behind him. Great credit to the team for this performance, a LBP would not have flattered their commitment.

p248 (IP Logged)
05 March, 2018 11:27
SBFez, I believe the knock on law states that a knock on happens when the ball goes forward after hitting the chest or arms of a player. So it is not a knock on from the thighs, head, or indeed the back of a player.
Happy to be corrected if that's wrong.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net