Latest News:
New Page 1

Whatever your views on Saracens, whether a Sarries fan or not, leave them here.

To leave a message on this board you must register. To register click HERE, it takes only a minute.
Non-rugby posts are welcome, but please prefix your subject header with "OT" or "Off Topic".

Thought for the Day:

Sat 24th March 15.00, Olympic Stadium
Audio: Click the link below. If it ain't there, it ain't on!
Upcoming TV: SARACENS v HARLEQUINS Sun 24th Mar 14.30 BT Sport 2

BBC Online Rugby Union Commentaries

The Fish | Rugby Union News | Fez Boys | Saracens Fixtures | The SSA

Our Academy
Sara'sman (IP Logged)
10 March, 2018 10:50
has rightly received a widespread praise for the long line of talent produced over the past decade. Slightly worrying then to see only captain Ben Earl (yellow carded again in the victory away in France) chosen for the u20 squad (though Nick Isiekwe still qualifies I think) and only Kapeli Pifeleti named on the bench for the u18 (again with just Manu Vunipola part of the wider 42 man squad). I know we've also supplied the Womens u20 captain (and 6 others v France) but not sure this compensates!

Nothing continues for ever and this may simply be a blip. Does anyone have any insight? For example I understood Joel Kpoku and his brother were both close to being called up.

On a related note there was a disgraceful BoDesque tackle v France which resulted in red for each French player. Hopefully followed by significant bans.

Re: Our Academy
The Bard (IP Logged)
10 March, 2018 11:05
Perhaps that is why Mike Hynard was bought back in? Guess it is a pretty long term issue and working with schools and local clubs is absolutely key in this.

BarnetSarrie (IP Logged)
10 March, 2018 15:11
No Mike was brought in because Don got the job at England Rugby as Academy Manager. Don had already agreed the signing of Adam Powell as assistant coach before he left. Mike was the only one who could really take over with a relatively seamless transition. After all, Don was himself one of 'Mike's boys' and suggested Don when HE left.
The last person Don was involved with signing to the Academy was Vailanu.
There is probably a break because Mike is now in his first season back - and Adam the same. But just look at how many of the boys have made the step up this season and last - Tom W, Henry, Hayden, Mark,Max, Ben, Rotimi, Matt and of course Nick Isiekwe,

Sara'sman (IP Logged)
12 March, 2018 14:25
Congratulations to the youngsters who beat Pests 21-19 to finish third in the U18 competition. Did anyone go?

Thanks for your response BS - you always seem to be a great source for behind the scene detail. I should probably have titled the thread Junior Academy since I'm interested in understanding the blip at current u20/u18 representative levels. I did wonder how much we would miss Don - he has an outstanding record of success.

BarnetSarrie (IP Logged)
12 March, 2018 14:51
In fairness to Mike - he didnt do badly either!
Don, Alex G, Jamie, George K, Owen, Jake S, Jackson, Shorty, Adam, Dave s, Will Fraser, Luke B, Saully - not to forget SuperDunc, Alex Brown and JT and Andy Edwards!
I cheered up quite a bit when I found out Mike was on his way back - though I was so gutted Don was off..... still, I wouldn't be at all surprised if the Barrell doesnt roll back to us one day!

Gryff (IP Logged)
13 March, 2018 10:02
Congratulations to the youngsters who beat Pests 21-19 to finish third in the U18 competition. Did anyone go?

We went it was a really enjoyable match and Sarries did well to hold out in the end. Some real talent n both sides particularly both hookers. The Sarries centre partnership looked good as did Dylan at number 7 and many others.

Was very interesting to see the slim Vunipola, Manu play at 10 and then move to 12. Good boot and learning control of game looked a prospect

Sara'sman (IP Logged)
13 March, 2018 10:47
Thanks Gryff. You clearly have a good eye, judging by Alex Shaw's analysis.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing