Latest News:
New Page 1

Whatever your views on Saracens, whether a Sarries fan or not, leave them here.

To leave a message on this board you must register. To register click HERE, it takes only a minute.
Non-rugby posts are welcome, but please prefix your subject header with "OT" or "Off Topic".

Thought for the Day:

Sat 24th March 15.00, Olympic Stadium
Audio: Click the link below. If it ain't there, it ain't on!
Upcoming TV: SARACENS v HARLEQUINS Sun 24th Mar 14.30 BT Sport 2

BBC Online Rugby Union Commentaries

The Fish | Rugby Union News | Fez Boys | Saracens Fixtures | The SSA

George Ford defence
Innings (IP Logged)
14 March, 2018 12:38
I saw it described against France as getting more hand-offs than a charity shop. At least a small smile to take out of the train wreck.

Points win matches: tries win hearts and minds.

Re: George Ford defence
JO'G (IP Logged)
14 March, 2018 14:44
Based on what I would call the normality of inclusion in a team - George has got to be worth -7 to -12 points over Farrell

this is based on my observations in the easy yards and front-foot ball he gives to the other side. Balanced against this is the 'extra' points his distribution and ball handling skills gives him over a normal 10 such as Farrell

So given England are struggling to score that many points anyway, the inclusion of George does seem to be a luxury we cannot afford

Park team from London
Just a park team from London
European Champions
Just European champions

Adey (IP Logged)
14 March, 2018 19:20
But then you’ve just completely made up those figures. Again.

John Tee (IP Logged)
15 March, 2018 08:35
Ford plays because he offers something Farrell can't. Farrell plays because Jones wants to find a place in the team for him.
Ford is not worth his place because he is not delivering the points or getting the backs going. he hasn't done fir a while.
The Farrell Ford axis should be for specific game plans against certain sides.
I can see games where you may want both, but by the same token you'd drop Farrell to the bench and Ford altogether but that is something that Jones is loathe to try. That is why Jones has spent three seasons trying to make it work.

If we weren't taken apart by some teams,at the breakdown...and tbf, we haven't too often, that has meant that 10 -12 axis hasn't been the main focal point.
It is now because we are no nearer to sealing off the breakdown issue and people are saying where is plan B.

OldMarovian (IP Logged)
15 March, 2018 09:38
If you thought he was bad against France then a rewatch of the Scotland game will turn your hair white. Created problems for the defence throughout the game by not following the rush and creating dog-legs for the Scots to exploit. Backed out of tackles completely hoping someone else would make them (something he does a fair bit and isn't recorded as he hasn't failed to make a tackle)

Given he's currently a liability in both defence and attack it's hard to know why he's in the squad let alone XV. I suppose it gives Hartley company?

John Tee (IP Logged)
15 March, 2018 10:16
I've never thought Ford justified his billing. He hasn't torn it up for club either.
Whenever I watch him, he goes missing for quite a period of a game. not something you could level at Cipriani or Farrell. The former is no defensive dog but he'd cone slice in the attack and woukd figure and drive the team a lot more.
Farrell is always involved because he has a great appetite for the game and likes, relishes defence and getting stuck in.
I can't see why Ford has had so much game time over the years. I really can't.

1876-Fez (IP Logged)
15 March, 2018 13:13
Well we will see this Saturday!! But can't work out why he's even on the bench....

SUPPORT Help for Heroes:
Help for Heroes

OldMarovian (IP Logged)
15 March, 2018 15:18
Because no one else has been given any time 1876-Fez.

TonyTaff (IP Logged)
15 March, 2018 16:55
I can't remember when another potential 10 has been in the England squad! I don't count Slade as a potential 10.

£676.97 (*) donated to the Saracens Foundation due to visits to the Sarries frontpage []

Please read and submit articles for publication. (*) As at October 31, 2017.

Innings (IP Logged)
15 March, 2018 19:48
I think you'll see a new 10 looked at over the summer. And as for never having seen one in an England squad, doesn't Alex Lozowski count?

Points win matches: tries win hearts and minds.

John Tee (IP Logged)
15 March, 2018 21:20
Hmmm, wonder who that would be. Can't say lowzoski has been doing enough. Ditto Burns or Smith. So I think it will be Ford again. Ffs.

AlanE (IP Logged)
16 March, 2018 07:03
Joe Simmonds? He has only played a couple but has looked good; that should be enough for Eddie.

I was 17 miles from Graybridge before I was caught by the school leopard

Seany_Boy0511 (IP Logged)
16 March, 2018 13:13
Joe Simmonds looks like he could be potentially the real deal in the next few years I'd like to see him go on tour in the summer, but that is unlikely

OldMarovian (IP Logged)
16 March, 2018 16:36
Given the team he's been playing in I think young Smith has looked very good. Lozo is an option but he's not much younger than Ford so we wouldn't really be preparing the next generation.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing