rugbyunion
Latest News:
New Page 1

Whatever your views on Saracens, whether a Sarries fan or not, leave them here.

To leave a message on this board you must register. To register click HERE, it takes only a minute.
Non-rugby posts are welcome, but please prefix your subject header with "OT" or "Off Topic".

Thought for the Day:
HONESTY, HUMILITY - REALLY?

Latest: SARACENS 41 : 6 BATH RUGBY
Next LONDON IRISH v SARACENS
Sun 29th april 15.00, MadStad
Audio: Click the link below. If it ain' there, it ain't on!
Upcoming TV: tbc

BBC Online Rugby Union Commentaries

The Fish | Rugby Union News | Fez Boys | Saracens Fixtures | The SSA

What would you pay more for?
OldMarovian (IP Logged)
12 April, 2018 21:12
So a follow-on to the current ST situation.

If we accept that Nigel Wray has just had to find an extra XM to buy back the shares and is also now assuming all the debt and so has to either find investors or make his current "assets" deliver more revenue are there things that we as supporters would pay more for?

Some people mentioned bond maybe even a share offer? Will debs be offered in the West stand as a way to front some of the money needed? are there other things that we would be prepared to pay extra for?

We obviously have the Summer bash but should (could) the club have a couple more events like that a season? I appreciate the SSA do a great job with giving us occasional access to players and coaches but could we have a monthly "coaches review" and evening with maybe a meal where they talk through how things are going?

I am sure you have better ideas but I feel like one of the real issues is that people feel like they are just being gouged rather than getting something extra and maybe the club needs to be better at generating and sustaining other club revenue streams?

Any thoughts?

(as a side note. I really like AP as a venue but it seems massively under-utilised commercially. Is that because of Council restrictions or just because the commercial team isn't up to much?)

Re: What would you pay more for?
Innings (IP Logged)
13 April, 2018 11:05
New corp0rate venues cab be slow to take off. Organisers need to be convinced that all will work as planned, and their customers also need convincing. You may recall that the Millennium Dome was a disaster for many years before becoming O2, one of the most successful arenas in the UK. Meanwhile, Earls Court was travelling in the opposite direction, going from being the UK's primary exhibition space to white elephant.

Innings

Points win matches: tries win hearts and minds.

Duncan96 (IP Logged)
13 April, 2018 12:41
I cycle past AP every day on my way to and from work. Nearly every day there seems to be a pretty full car park of cars, presumably attending some kind of corporate event.

When I've been to the shop outside of work days (not that often I'll admit) I've seen people arriving for dinners and parties.

I have no idea but doesn't that mean the corporate team are doing a good job and are working well to get as much out of AP as they can?

Planning restrictions on the number of events with more than 3,000 attendance mean we can't even play all our home matches at AP (hence the dreadful double header) so they can't use it to make big money from e.g. big concerts.

To raise enough money from a share or bond issue to cover a large part of the 30 million odd needed for a new stand and training ground without losing control of the club NW has to show that Saracens is a sustainable business. That means increasing turnover enough to offset the 2.5 million per season losses (and that's before the new player contracts). Hence the ticket price rises so that, hopefully, the extra money comes in every season, not as a one off with losses continuing.

I know it doesn't help anyone who is hurting from the price rises but that is the reality NW faces I believe.

OldMarovian (IP Logged)
13 April, 2018 13:02
Duncan96 don't forget that serviced offices run from the site during the week plus some of the Sarries infrastructure. On a fairly regular basis I see what I would regard as "sports day" type events presumably community-driven events but I was thinking more of the sort of thing that will sell out 3K plus the foods and drinks cost associated. Or events with a higher ticket cost where crowds of several hundred would add to the revenue stream.

As I said it may just be that the restrictions you mention make it trickier to host events.

I have tickets with friends for both the movies and the silent disco and will be interested to see how those events go.

As much as Exeter Chiefs success is driven by a very good team and coaching it's all underwritten by them fully exploiting Sandy Park as a commercial venue.

tpr's headmistress (IP Logged)
13 April, 2018 13:05
On a fairly regular basis I see what I would regard as "sports day" type events presumably community-driven events

When my husband was head of a local comprehensive they used Copthall for sporting events.

Graeme D (IP Logged)
13 April, 2018 13:24
I thought I saw an e mail saying the silent disco had been cancelled.

Big events at weekends are hard to organise at AZP as they would normally need a long term date to make it successful. The calender only comes out in July each year giving the weekends that are free . Whole weekends have to be booked out for home matches as we are behold to BT sport . So not easy to fit in big events.

There are a number of large weddings that take place but they are restricted to summer months.

The most successful event outside the normal rugby this year was the England v Canada women's match with a crowd if approx 3k .

Exeter have a very good model but believe the restrictions they have are far lower than a stadoum built on Green Belt land in London !

Quote:
OldMarovian
Duncan96 don't forget that serviced offices run from the site during the week plus some of the Sarries infrastructure. On a fairly regular basis I see what I would regard as "sports day" type events presumably community-driven events but I was thinking more of the sort of thing that will sell out 3K plus the foods and drinks cost associated. Or events with a higher ticket cost where crowds of several hundred would add to the revenue stream.
As I said it may just be that the restrictions you mention make it trickier to host events.

I have tickets with friends for both the movies and the silent disco and will be interested to see how those events go.

As much as Exeter Chiefs success is driven by a very good team and coaching it's all underwritten by them fully exploiting Sandy Park as a commercial venue.

OldMarovian (IP Logged)
13 April, 2018 14:05
Wow. I have totally missed that if it is canceled. Must check emails.

I guess that makes sense re restrictions. Damn it!

Brighty_Fez (IP Logged)
13 April, 2018 16:47
what about during school holidays offering tickets to watch the team train a couple of times a year. this would increase the interest in the team for young people who could get up and close with the players on a non match day and would give the club a chance to open up the facilities. coupled with offers in the shop it could be a profitable event as it wouldnt really cost a lot more to put on

the other options are obviously things around away televised games and making the fez or 100 clubs the place to watch with non playing players in attendance to offer insight for fans

GazzaFez (IP Logged)
13 April, 2018 17:01
At the very very least I expect our reclassified Silver to Gold seats to be reclassified from cold hard plastic to padded as I believe all the other existing Gold seats are.

(Sm22)(Sm22)(Sm22)

Actually, this is a serious pont. I really mean it.

13 April, 2018 17:13
Don't be silly Gazza - you'll get a blow-up cushion to match the rain poncho, of course.(Sm151)

Darraghgirl (IP Logged)
13 April, 2018 17:13
Quote:
GazzaFez
At the very very least I expect our reclassified Silver to Gold seats to be reclassified from cold hard plastic to padded as I believe all the other existing Gold seats are.
(Sm22)(Sm22)(Sm22)

Actually, this is a serious pont. I really mean it.

And a proper roof so we don't get soaked in the rain!

13 April, 2018 17:15
What about one of those little umbrella hats with a light on too, so you can see down the dark path in the Winter.(Sm159)

mrangry (IP Logged)
13 April, 2018 17:32
Padded seats? Covered seats? Lights in the dark? It's the U Arena again. Spoilt only by Heineken at 7Euro for less than a pint.

london pride (IP Logged)
13 April, 2018 18:25
We're Gold at the moment and there's no padded seats and we get soaked if it rains.
Perhaps if it does rain on Sunday a member of staff comes running out with a Brolley.They are all temporary seats and get taken down at the end of the season.1000 for that,I don't think so.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net