rugbyunion
Latest News:
New Page 1

Whatever your views on Saracens, whether a Sarries fan or not, leave them here.

To leave a message on this board you must register. To register click HERE, it takes only a minute.
Non-rugby posts are welcome, but please prefix your subject header with "OT" or "Off Topic".

Thought for the Day:
HE WHO CONQUERS HIMSELF IS THE MIGHTIEST WARRIOR

Latest: GLASGOW WARRIORS 3:13 SARACENS
Next: Saracens v Lyon Sat 20th Oct, 17.30 Allianz,
Audio: Click the link below. If it ain' there, it ain't on!
Upcoming TV: Saracens v Lyon, Sat 20th Oct 17.15 BT Sport 2

BBC Online Rugby Union Commentaries

The Fish | Rugby Union News | Fez Boys | Saracens Fixtures | The SSA

Saracens v Bath
GazzaFez (IP Logged)
15 April, 2018 19:02
Just not acceptable. We didn't even get to 50 points. smiling smiley

After a bit of a slow start, similar to last week's Saints game, once we got into second gear I thought we were excellent. A good solid and controlled performance building nicely to the sharp end of the season.

The numbers now say a simple win at Irish is all that's required now for a home semi.

Just starting to watch the recording. A very interesting comment from Nigel Wray which I'll paraphrase "What we need now is a bigger stadium and better facilities. I think the community understand that and we will get behind it".

Loose words or a thinly veiled reveal of future plans?

Re: Saracens v Bath
The Bard (IP Logged)
15 April, 2018 19:35
Funny sort of game, just about all of our scores resulted from turnovers rather than our build-up play.
Very worried that Faz looked injured early on but he had an absolute stormer.
Isiekwe brilliant again, but Toby Falateau man of the match for me.

MyCupRunnethOver (IP Logged)
15 April, 2018 19:40
Great game this afternoon. However watching the re-play, we played well and deserved the win but Bath were worse than I thought watching the match live.

AB (IP Logged)
15 April, 2018 20:17
must be a record surely? 2 games on the trot whee we score over 30 points in second half and don't allow opps to score any thing at all.

Very confident indeed with return of Billy and Vincent and Michael Rhodes that we will win the final- ass Exeter surely cannot beat our top team?

1876-Fez (IP Logged)
15 April, 2018 20:31
Defence impressed me today... much improved.

Great result.

SUPPORT Help for Heroes:
Help for Heroes

Dave Berko (IP Logged)
15 April, 2018 20:47
TBF only 26 points 2nd half!!!!!

OldMarovian (IP Logged)
15 April, 2018 20:57
Good game. Only just got home so match report to follow tomorrow!

Jim 55 (IP Logged)
15 April, 2018 21:15
Quote:
AB
must be a record surely? 2 games on the trot whee we score over 30 points in second half and don't allow opps to score any thing at all.
Very confident indeed with return of Billy and Vincent and Michael Rhodes that we will win the final- ass Exeter surely cannot beat our top team?

They’re no mugs if we end up playing them again this season it will be tough!!

Highbury Saracen (IP Logged)
15 April, 2018 22:55
If you read Exeters forum they think they have a side to dominate europe soon l!!
Really looking forward to playing them with a full team....smiling smiley

European champions 2016 & 2017

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 16/04/2018 08:24 by Highbury Saracen.

Convex Hull (IP Logged)
16 April, 2018 04:53
Saracens points score has been very impressive in the last couple of matches, but does anyone else have the feeling that the team still hasn't quite developed the same resilience and confidence as in previous years?

Hardly surprising, given the number of injuries endured, there are still a few matches (and a few returning players) to get it right, though. Exeter will be no pushover, as commented above.

As for Exeter dominating Europe, it will take them two or three seasons in the playoff group to get the hang of things, as has been the case for all other clubs.

Regardez mon visage. Suis-je bovvered?

MickyWiz (IP Logged)
16 April, 2018 07:19
To me it looked exactly how we beat them in the prem final, didn't build much of our own but put so much defensive pressure on them that eventually the error was forced and we were ruthless in execution of that opportunity. Onwards...

flavman 35 (IP Logged)
16 April, 2018 07:48
Having Rhodes and Taylor back was brilliant, both looked hungry and really disrupted bath.
I agree with Bard, Faletau looked really good yesterday, worried me when he had the ball.
We are getting there, from the stands had a lot more confidence when camped near our own line that we would keep them out, haven't felt that for a while.
We seem to be forgetting that we could end up playing wasps in the semi's. They play a game that unsettles us.

Let's not get carried away one game at a time.

F-F-F-FEZ (IP Logged)
16 April, 2018 08:20
Why was Dunc carded in the last minute? It must be frustrating at Bath, so many stand out individuals but no cohesion. Priestland had a shocker but as above Faleteau & Brew also good for Bath. If we play Exe in the final it will be a belter esp if we are back to full force. Can't wait - best teams, best headgear, one loved, one hated (a bit).

derbyshire fan (IP Logged)
16 April, 2018 08:24
Dunc was carded after Bath took the tap penalty - he made no attempt at retreating

#wolfpack (IP Logged)
16 April, 2018 08:48
Dunc got carded for interfering before retreating ten.

I thought the game was very well reffed yesterday. Let it flow, no persistent whistling, didn't check any try.
The only decision I disagreed with was a penalty for that tackle from Dunc, which never makes sense to me - either its a good tackle and we get on with it, or its dangerous and its a card of some description. But as the TMO butted in and the ref stopped the game, he would have looked silly if he didn't give anything at all I suppose.

As for us, I didn't think we got out of second gear really, we just were ruthless when they coughed up the ball somewhere they shouldn't.

Rhodesey looked very hungry when he came on.

viewfromthe22 (IP Logged)
16 April, 2018 09:02
Why don't we use Baz more? I'm no scrummaging expert so that might be where he is less proficient but in the loose he's a tremendous. Always carries hard and seems very difficult to stop. Made 1 particularly notable break yesterday.

derbyshire fan (IP Logged)
16 April, 2018 09:33
It was wonderful to see Mike back - some great tackles in particular

TOKS (IP Logged)
16 April, 2018 10:16
Quote:
MickyWiz
To me it looked exactly how we beat them in the prem final, didn't build much of our own but put so much defensive pressure on them that eventually the error was forced and we were ruthless in execution of that opportunity. Onwards...

No no no Micky, we won because Faz high tackled Watson early on, Watson went off injured and Faz, instead of being sent off, stayed on.

Don't you know anything? (Sm151)

However, as a hundred replays showed, it wasn't high and the damage was done because Mako (I think) was tackling him low at the same time.

Echo the comments about Dickson. A very mature performance from a new referee.

As for Exeter they have the same limited but effective game plan that we had half a dozen years ago. They will beat most teams at Prem level but won't get anywhere near the top teams in Europe and their players won't get picked for England (one of the few things EJ gets right). They need to decide whether they are happy with the effective, but limited, pattern they currently have or whether they want to take it to the next level. A bit like changing your swing in golf.

Innings (IP Logged)
16 April, 2018 11:19
If the final were to be against Exeter, it may boil down to how much Sarries can exert the sort of squeeze that caused Bath to throw three interceptions yesterday. And then how much Exeter can get to deliver their most potent scoring machine, the driving maul from 10 metres out.

On the topic of Exeter dominating Europe, they may do, but IMHO it's as big a step from winning the Premiership to getting out of the European pool stages as it is to get from getting into the q-finals on to winning. It takes time and experience to work out the dynamics of European competition, and few England clubs have cracked the code in recent times. Apart from Sarries, the last England winners were Wasps over ten years ago. The days of England clubs winning six times in ten years are long gone.

Innings

Points win matches: tries win hearts and minds.

#wolfpack (IP Logged)
16 April, 2018 11:44
English refs are much more lenient than European refs with what looks to me like sealing off every time Exeter go into contact. That might partly explain why they've not cracked European rugby yet.

OldMarovian (IP Logged)
16 April, 2018 22:07
Quote:
MickyWiz

We're in for a shock and a painful exit if that's what we try again this season.

Exeter, like the best sides, are evolving. In their first final they tried to stop our game rather than play their own. When they kicked the corners and mauled they brought themselves right back into the game. Had they done so earlier the result could easily have been different.

Last season they were developing their attack. They beat us narrowly and I think it's fair to say our players could have done with the rest week they had too rather than having just played Clermont.

The last couple of weeks has made me really optimistic about the future especially seeing Lozo at 13, signs of progress from Spencer at 9 and a different sort of FB at 15. None of that means the current things don't work but it's good to expand your repertoire.

IF we kick to Exeter and allow then 60%+ possession I will be amazed if we don't lose (assuming we play them) I know that we were missing players but you saw us fail against Leicester at Allianz Park by trying to play like that and they lack Exeters carrying game, maul and lineout. They also have the discipline and skills to take it to 20 phases if needed rather than cough it up after 5.

This isn't a downer on Sarries as I think we're looking good for the end of the season and am delighted with what I have seen in recent weeks but I am surprised both by people continuously under-playing the threat Exeter pose and thinking that kicking to them and pressurising their attack is going to get us a win.

Seany_Boy0511 (IP Logged)
17 April, 2018 09:17
I think personally, the last two performances have been brilliant, and it may be because we are on a backlash of coming out of European Champions Cup or it may simply be the fact our top players are back and firing on all cylinders, either way I like what I see!

Let's just focus on getting a home Semi final before we even talk about finals,

Any team on their day can beat any other team as much as I really want to see a Saracens Exeter Final with both teams full squad I would like us just to get there first and foremost!

Our midfield Sunday was excellent, Loz at 13 brings a new lease of life to Saracens and Nick Isiekwe, his try saving tackle was insane, the pace that lad has got is incredible for a forward! All we seemed to miss yesterday was Maros disruptions at line out time, and if Billy returns then who drops to bench?! Honestly feel we've got form at the crucial time and now have our squad back, anything is possible

Really interesting to see what happens at London Irish in 2 weeks!

17 April, 2018 10:00
I get what you are saying OM,Exeter offer a real threat!
However we can play any type of game & I dont believe they possess that capability
I also think with a fit and better refreshed squad we will rise to challenge.....should we get to final & meet them,of course!

Wayoutwest (IP Logged)
17 April, 2018 11:31
I am just looking forward to having another crack at Exeter with a full strength team.

Bring it on!

GazzaFez (IP Logged)
17 April, 2018 12:04
Good post Seany Boy, agree with that 100%. Exeter are very definitely an excellent team. I can't help but feel though that their success in the Prem has been boosted by a series of circumstances, already much discussed, which have colluded to favour them. When those factors are not in the frame their true level has been more exposed. Results in the ECC seem to concur with that assessment.

As you say our world is all about the semis at this stage.

JO'G (IP Logged)
17 April, 2018 13:06
was discussing the Exeter game plan with a couple of Leinster supporters after the game in Dublin. The concensus is that as long as you don't give away penalties in your own half to limit the 5 yard lineout and defend well on the 22 not giving them the ability to do the grind to the line you can win

Poking With Sticks (IP Logged)
17 April, 2018 13:11
For me, the key to Exeter getting success in Europe is: - don't get drawn in the same pool as Leinster.

Roger G (IP Logged)
17 April, 2018 13:32
Quote:
JO'G
was discussing the Exeter game plan with a couple of Leinster supporters after the game in Dublin. The concensus is that as long as you don't give away penalties in your own half to limit the 5 yard lineout and defend well on the 22 not giving them the ability to do the grind to the line you can win

I'm not sure it's just your own half - just don't give away any penalties. I'm thinking of course of Henry Slade's miracle kick from well inside his own half that led to Chiefs' winning trundle in last year's semi-final.

17 April, 2018 13:44
Quote:
Poking With Sticks
For me, the key to Exeter getting success in Europe is: - don't get drawn in the same pool as Leinster.

Ha ha good post...but cant use that every year! smiling smiley

OldMarovian (IP Logged)
17 April, 2018 15:53
It's not just the maul game though. If you keep discipline they are perfectly happy to pick and drive all the way from their 22 into yours and have been doing so all season. I do think some of the refereeing currently (specifically re sealing off) suits them but regardless of legality if it's not being called the onus is on the opposition to react.

I 100% agree that the last couple of seasons had worked out well for them and if Jones pulls his head out they may be more affected by International call-ups in the coming seasons but a bit like Sarries at our best their Academy is providing the next generation of players that slot fairly seamlessly in to the game plan.

Ofc Seany is right on just focusing on a semi-final but personally, I hope to see a full a team selection (as possible) Sarries v Exeter this season still.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net