rugbyunion
Latest News:
New Page 1

Whatever your views on Saracens, whether a Sarries fan or not, leave them here.

To leave a message on this board you must register. To register click HERE, it takes only a minute.
Non-rugby posts are welcome, but please prefix your subject header with "OT" or "Off Topic".

Thought for the Day:
CONGRATULATIONS TO THE SEVENS SQUAD -
1st SILVERWARE OF THE SEASON!

Latest: EXETER CHIEFS 10:27 SARACENS (Aviva Premiership Final)
Next: Bedford Blues v Saracens Sat 18th Aug Goldington Rd,
Audio: Click the link below. If it ain' there, it ain't on!
Upcoming TV:

BBC Online Rugby Union Commentaries

The Fish | Rugby Union News | Fez Boys | Saracens Fixtures | The SSA

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Re: Season Tickets
OldMarovian (IP Logged)
17 April, 2018 15:46
Quote:
Eif Jones
Some English clubs challenging the traditionally poor results of the Italian clubs.

That would be the Italian clubs giving the Welsh "Pro"14 a beating on a regular basis? Which English clubs would you suggest are weaker than the Dragons? Scarlett's play some decent rugby for the first time in a couple of generations and you think you're the bee's knees? behave. You couldn't even beat an off-form Sarries at home.

Highbury Saracen (IP Logged)
17 April, 2018 15:53
Quote:
Lucysarrie
Thank you Highbury Julie rang me back we are now South standers
Thats excellent!

European champions 2016 & 2017

1876-Fez (IP Logged)
17 April, 2018 15:56
Quote:
daz_71
It must be more that 400-500 surely? Isn't it all of blocks E2 and E7 beyond row G being reclassificed from Silver to Gold and most of the middle 2 blockes being reclassified from Gold to Platinum? That would make it around 50% of the East stand.

Apologies if I have been misinformed.... again lack of information is leading us all to speculate..

SUPPORT Help for Heroes:
Help for Heroes

BigBri (IP Logged)
17 April, 2018 16:03
Quote:
Duncan96
Quote:
Waldo
The reasoning was probably - we'll go in @ 10K and the locals will see what a nice bunch we are and let us increase no problem .

That was definitely the logic. Hopefully this season we'll have a home semi at 15k capacity for the 2nd time. Local residents and the Council will see it's no problem and 15k becomes the norm

All of that assumes, of course, that we can sell 10k per game without Nigel Wray subsidising all of our season tickets to the tune of £250 to £500 per season. We might not be able to since some people say they are not renewing without the subsidy, even though they could afford to, because they see the removal of the subsidy as a betrayal of their long held support.

If there are a significant number of like minded supporters there won't be a new stand or training ground, the club can't go forward and the inevitable will happen. Nigel Wray will die, the star players will be tempted away to other clubs which are progressing and Saracens will slip back.

I wouldn't want to be the one being forced to drive through these difficult decisions and being accused of "gouging" supporters.

PS I think the subsidy we have all been receiving is easy to calculate. If the club loses £2.5 million in a season just divide that by the number of seats -10,000. In previous years the loss has been as high as £5 million so our subsidy was £500 per season ticket

PPS I know I'm being a little provocative and I totally understand that some can't afford the price rises. But seriously, we have been subsidises and it had to end at some point. With Nw's funding partner bailing out and the need to raise £30 million it's no wonder that time is now

The match day product is never going to be enough alone to pay for the running of the club. The extra revenue from use of the hospitality lounges/bars on non-match days is why our losses have come down considerably. I think they could have been less harsh in the pricing strategy this season to get people used to the idea and when they have raised the investment for the west stand either by debentures/bond issuance/non-vtg shares there would have been an extra revenue stream.

This has been a short sighted money grab at the expense of their loyal core support and that's why I am not renewing after following Sarries for 46 years man, boy and Fezboy!

Burning the Boards London Style

[images.google.co.uk]

primavesi (IP Logged)
17 April, 2018 16:25
I don´t really buy all this subsidy stuff. Amazon lost money last year, that does not mean Jeff Bezoz subsidised my toaster.

The investors invested in the club because they thought they could make money, not so we could all have a cheap day out. The "fair value" of a ticket is how much people are prepared to pay, not the break even point. As others have said there are plenty of other revenue streams which can be built on to break even and Nigel has said he things the club will be in the black in a years time.

Of course I appreciate everything Nigel has done for the club, and do not mean to play that down in any way, but pricing out supporters (which is clearly what has happened in many cases) at this time does not seem like a good long term decision for the business to me.

Waldo (IP Logged)
17 April, 2018 17:24
Who's going to buy all these seats folks are giving up - that's whats puzzling me.

Just as we have got a good vibe going I fear all this upheaval will make AzP a pretty souless place next season.

1876-Fez (IP Logged)
17 April, 2018 18:17
Quote:
Waldo
Who's going to buy all these seats folks are giving up - that's whats puzzling me.
Just as we have got a good vibe going I fear all this upheaval will make AzP a pretty souless place next season.

You may well be right Waldo... however a few of the Sarries on Tour are trying to make the moat of it by getting seats together in the South Stand (see Facebook).

They might even compete with the North for noise ;-)

SUPPORT Help for Heroes:
Help for Heroes

Waldo (IP Logged)
17 April, 2018 20:29
The South stand is usually where the kids teams get put- I don't think I would be tolerant enough to sit there :-)

GerryK (IP Logged)
17 April, 2018 20:39
Have just contacted supporter services by email requesting them to pass on my request to the management team for an apology in the way this debacle has been handled. I believe that the more STH's that take this or similar routes to express their upset to the management responsible the better, even though I do not hold out much hope of any modification

DoubleChampions (IP Logged)
17 April, 2018 21:08
This has been badly handled and will / has driven a wedge between the club and the fan base. I am not renewing my 2 tickets as I am in the gold section (now Platinum) in the East Stand who got wet on Saturday - Platinum product needs to be on and off the pitch to justify a 56% non consulted increase.

For such a professional approach around the team structure and successful business people in the background the administration / communication side of Saracens is a shambles.

They could have raised prices quite a bit but offered a discounted 2 year purchase to keep people involved or something along those lines rather than this debacle.

Flyboyjacko (IP Logged)
17 April, 2018 21:28
Instead if waving Saracens flags next home games we should be waving black flags with betrayed written across them, maybe that will bring it home especially if it's televised.

Adey (IP Logged)
17 April, 2018 21:29
I can’t see the club getting those made up for free and handing them out.

TonyTaff (IP Logged)
19 April, 2018 12:17
Quote:
BigBri

This has been a short sighted money grab at the expense of their loyal core support and that's why I am not renewing after following Sarries for 46 years man, boy and Fezboy!

Que? You're only 29!

£676.97 (*) donated to the Saracens Foundation due to visits to the Sarries frontpage [www.rugbynetwork.net]

Please read and submit articles for publication. (*) As at October 31, 2017.

Dave Berko (IP Logged)
19 April, 2018 14:54
I had to miss a year through other commitments and so have not been able to renew 'as normal'. However I'd like to say that Tom in Supporter Services and then Julie, Senior Sales Exec have been excellent. Very prompt replies to my emails and very clear explanations.

Like almost all others I feel that this whole issue could/should have been handled far better, but as some others have said 'it's not those who answer the 'phone/emails' who are at fault.

Suffice to say I will be renewing for next season.

TOKS (IP Logged)
19 April, 2018 16:11
About 51 hours since I left a message for Julie on her voicemail. Still waiting....

JO'G (IP Logged)
20 April, 2018 12:35
sent an e-mail to the club asking what to do about renewing if I want to keep paying by DD monthly - there isn't any option to do so on-line just pay it all at once

no reply as yet

Duncan96 (IP Logged)
20 April, 2018 15:38
Quote:
primavesi
I don´t really buy all this subsidy stuff. Amazon lost money last year, that does not mean Jeff Bezoz subsidised my toaster.
The investors invested in the club because they thought they could make money, not so we could all have a cheap day out. The "fair value" of a ticket is how much people are prepared to pay, not the break even point. As others have said there are plenty of other revenue streams which can be built on to break even and Nigel has said he things the club will be in the black in a years time.

Of course I appreciate everything Nigel has done for the club, and do not mean to play that down in any way, but pricing out supporters (which is clearly what has happened in many cases) at this time does not seem like a good long term decision for the business to me.

But Amazon made billions last year and doesn’t have limited capacity in the number of people it can sell to.

Yes, the fair value of a ticket is what people will pay. If people won’t pay the new prices, the club will continue to lose money, there is no new stand and training ground and the club slowly falls to pieces because new money can’t be raised.

If there are other revenue streams that could be turned on at the click of his fingers would one of the country’s most successful businessmen, I.e. NW not be doing that already? After all, he’s better at making money than the rest of us.

If supporters are priced out then, as above, the club slides backward. Doesn’t affect the fact that they have no choice but to try.

mrhatch (IP Logged)
20 April, 2018 18:21
Coming to this late on the Message Board, but have been posting on the Facebook Forum.

My father and myself have decided not to renew our STs after 20 years, with a lot of sadness and to be honest anger in the way it has been done.

I went back and for in my head what to do, but I did make myself make the decision, otherwise it would have just dragged out.

I'm in the fortunate position where I could have afforded the increase (£450 to £705), but, I fear rugby is going the way of football, and this will not end well. I used to go to Highbury until they built the North Bank Stand, and the view I had, when standing, tripled for a seat, and this feels very much the same.

If clubs, or rugby as a whole, can't sustain the professional game within it's current financial constraints, then putting up season ticket prices is just a sticking plaster over a bigger wound. It will work short term, if they sell the tickets, but longer term, with wages that will increase beyond means, could lead to clubs over stretching themselves, and gambling on qualifying for the European competitions, to raise more funding they can't afford.

I appreciate we have been lucky to see some great rugby, but it shouldn't be at the expense of the wider game.

Does rugby really want to replicate a Football Premier League? I really hope not

Adey (IP Logged)
20 April, 2018 20:38
I doubt it. There will be a salary cap for a long time to come. If it goes up then it won’t be by tens of millions. There wouldn’t be the money to pay for it anywhere. Remember some top footballers earn more in a month than top rugby players earn in a year. And that’s the ‘basic’ before add ons and internationals.

It’s a shame that if you have the means to renew you wouldn’t. If you’ve enjoyed 20 years of going to rugby with your Dad like I have with my brother, do you honestly think you’d look back later and say ‘I’m glad we stopped going because they put the prices up.’

mrhatch (IP Logged)
20 April, 2018 23:55
I think that's what the club was counting on, for ST holders just to suck it up and pay it.

If the 16 games were top quality, full squad available games then things may be different. But 2 LV Cup and 4 games where we don't have the International, means we're effectively paying a premium price for a sub premium product - if they want to use Business terminology, then they can't say they are a sport and a family club, then say due to commercial reasons the prices are going up by over 50%.

If I'm paying for a product, then I want to see the product I'm paying for, and 5-6 games where the product isn't the best the club can offer is unacceptable.

It reached a tipping point for me, £450 a year I could accept it, but £705, too much.

Yes I could have moved, but didn't want to, as it would just grate me every time I went, so decided not to renew.

It is a shame, but I'll still follow them, maybe go to a couple of games, likely to be away where I can make a weekend away of it.

But everyone makes their own decisions, and I respect that. It's just not for me next season

Verulamfisher (IP Logged)
21 April, 2018 09:49
I agree fully. Out of the 16 matches just 10 involve the best players in the club, so with the new recategorised gold ticket at £705 that's a little over £70 per match! Too much, and close to face value prices of International matches. Capacity is the other big issue at AP. One decent stand, and everybody wants a seat in it.. No idea why it was built with just 10000 capacity. It's needs 20000, and to fill out for each home game for the club to be profitable.

OldMarovian (IP Logged)
21 April, 2018 10:35
I cancelled my ST yesterday.

Lots of interesting views on this over the past week here and I think if I was more certain of being able to attend more than 50% of the games next season I would have followed others further out to the wings of the East stand.

I guess I'll reconsider next season depending on the development of the West stand. If it doesn't happen then who knows we may see lots of red/black going to silver in other stands. If it does then some movement from the East might mean places open up there again although I doubt it will be at lower prices.

I'll still look forward to going to the odd games next season.

darktagnan (IP Logged)
23 April, 2018 23:05
I'm a very long standing supporter - used to stand on the duck boards at Bramley Road & felt moving to Enfield & then Watford (from which I have no positive recollections) were impositions .I really am wondering how much more I can take now. I went from Lower Rous to East Stand at AZP - and then the price doubled & we got a soft soap "we won't do that again for the foreseeable future" from Ed G. That has now clearly been ripped up & I've seen various descriptions used such as "ethnic cleansing" plus a couple of my own "betrayal" & "extortion". The values that the club expects from the players do not extend to the financial management team or the treatment of its supporters.
I'm still not sure what I'm going to do. One thing I think I will have to consider is cancel my 20 year subscription to the Sports Foundation. If the club cannot treat its long standing supporters properly I don't see why I should put money into its charitable works - which now look to be something of a smokescreen.
Just a thought on a silent protest for the last game of the season - just turn up in civvies - don't wear any Sarries branded kit or gear & boycott the shop. Shout as loud as you like.

Dave Berko (IP Logged)
23 April, 2018 23:36
Quote:
Adey
I doubt it. There will be a salary cap for a long time to come. If it goes up then it won’t be by tens of millions. There wouldn’t be the money to pay for it anywhere. Remember some top footballers earn more in a month than top rugby players earn in a year. And that’s the ‘basic’ before add ons and internationals.
It’s a shame that if you have the means to renew you wouldn’t. If you’ve enjoyed 20 years of going to rugby with your Dad like I have with my brother, do you honestly think you’d look back later and say ‘I’m glad we stopped going because they put the prices up.’

Sorry Adey. You make many relevant comments. But to say "l'm glad we stopped etc etc.... l think many, totally justifiably are saying........ l'm SAD we stopped etc etc

mrhatch (IP Logged)
24 April, 2018 08:43
Absolutely Dave, I'm sad about the situation, not glad at all

Convex Hull (IP Logged)
24 April, 2018 09:36
Quote:
Waldo

There will be casual supporters, like me, who will pay for a limited number of games.

Regardez mon visage. Suis-je bovvered?

Waldo (IP Logged)
24 April, 2018 10:23
Quote:
Convex Hull
Quote:
Waldo

There will be casual supporters, like me, who will pay for a limited number of games.

Yes there is that but will there be enough of them that are willing to pay north of £65 for my old gold seat in the rain ?

I hope they have got their model right otherwise we might see some sparse population of the east stand for some games !

That wouldn't look good on the Tele !

Roger G (IP Logged)
24 April, 2018 11:05
Quote:
Waldo
...I hope they have got their model right otherwise we might see some sparse population of the east stand for some games !
That wouldn't look good on the Tele !

I think the evidence suggests they don't really care about who's sitting there or, indeed, whether they are occupied at all, just as long as somebody's paying the ridiculous price for the seats. A seat paid for counts towards the attendance figures (and income) whether the occupant turns up or not.

nicsue (IP Logged)
26 April, 2018 11:31
After much consideration our group of seven are renewing for 'one more year'. We are silver in the East, being reclassified to gold. Three have discounts, hence 'one more year' before we think again.
One of our main considerations was keeping us all together.

26 April, 2018 12:24
Good to hear!
I fear there would be great
difficulty in relocating & finding 7 seats together but may be easier when West stand gets built!

Garp285 (IP Logged)
26 April, 2018 15:38
Quote:
nicsue
After much consideration our group of seven are renewing for 'one more year'. We are silver in the East, being reclassified to gold. Three have discounts, hence 'one more year' before we think again.
One of our main considerations was keeping us all together.

As HS says above, you may have difficulty relocating 7 people, at least before the West Stand is redeveloped, but at least this will give you 12 months to try and sort it. One of the things I thought problematic with the re-classification was the short timescales to get any moves sorted, especially for groups who may only see each other on match days! I look forward to it all when we have to relocate from the West Lower in a year or two ......

Adey (IP Logged)
26 April, 2018 20:56
Quote:
Dave Berko
Quote:
Adey

Sorry Adey. You make many relevant comments. But to say "l'm glad we stopped etc etc.... l think many, totally justifiably are saying........ l'm SAD we stopped etc etc

Missed the question mark at the end there! But regardless, I doubt anyone will look back and be happy they decided not to renew If they have the ways and means to.

nicsue (IP Logged)
26 April, 2018 23:12
Quote:
Highbury Saracen
Good to hear!
I fear there would be great
difficulty in relocating & finding 7 seats together but may be easier when West stand gets built!

I have a friend who is trying to relocate a group of 12 - he has already been offered three different positions within the East stand (not sure what grade of seat.) Make of that what you will.

mrhatch (IP Logged)
27 April, 2018 00:46
Sorry Adey, I really think you're missing the point.

I don't believe anyone who is not renewing will feel "glad" or "happy". Will there be regret, maybe.

But I for one, am of the view the club business is not interested in loyal/long term supporters. They are interested in selling tickets at the highest price they can for th product they are selling. And that's fine. But to do that, they have to have a product worth the money, and when you compare a football Prem ST of £700, where you get 26ish games with full squads available, to the 9 or 10 games for the same £700 ST at Sarries, it is poor value.

But I'm happy for those who have decided to renew, and hope you enjoy the season. I'll just support from afar.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 27/04/2018 00:47 by mrhatch.

Eric Browett (IP Logged)
27 April, 2018 07:15
We bought our first season ticket in 1999. In the mid 2000s we knocked it on the head, not because of the money, but because at the time Saracens were dire and the thought of going along to watch us lose to West Hartlepool or London Scottish was too much for us. We ended up buying individual tickets for nearly every home match, it was in our blood, and next season we were season ticket holders again, and have been ever since.

If you can't afford the new prices the decision has been made for you.

If you can afford them it's simply a question of whether you can do without your fix. Will you be kicking around the house on a Saturday or Sunday wishing you were there? Principles are a fine thing, but life is short. To rehash dear Kyran - nose, face, cut off, spite - or something like that.

AP (IP Logged)
27 April, 2018 07:37
My problem is that I can't renew online - the system wants me to input my address (which they have and is correct) from the address book with no indication how to do that. They really don't make life easy for us or themselves.

Successful hills are here to stay
Everything must be this way
Gentle streets where people play
Welcome to the Soft Parade

mrhatch (IP Logged)
27 April, 2018 10:08
Eric, I could have done the same at Arsenal, when the price for the same view when standing in the North Bank tripled, when the new stand was erected.

I knocked football on the head then, as could see the way it was going, and can see the same thing, unfortunately, happening in rugby. It was just a matter of time, but this has been coming, just wish it hadn't arrived so quickly.

Do I miss football? Not in the least, barely watch it now. Will I miss rugby, probably to start with, but it will pass, I'll fill my weekends in other ways, which won't be a problem, and just support from home, with maybe the odd game here and there. But that is likely to stop too at some point, as it did with football.

It's just my view, but accepting these price rises now is going to set the precedent for pricing in the future. But everyone must do what is right for them, and what they are comfortable with. I'm not comfortable with the price rise, or the way the supporters, sorry I mean customers, are being treated.

Darraghgirl (IP Logged)
27 April, 2018 10:40
Little DG and I have renewed. Rather like Innings, our other halves couldn't face having to put up with us for 16 home games when we would be moping at home!

nicsue (IP Logged)
28 April, 2018 21:39
Quote:
mrhatch

It's just my view, but accepting these price rises now is going to set the precedent for pricing in the future. But everyone must do what is right for them, and what they are comfortable with. I'm not comfortable with the price rise, or the way the supporters, sorry I mean customers, are being treated.

I actually agree with what you say, I am not comfortable with the price rise or the way we have been treated. However, it is watching as part of our small group that is irreplaceable, and as we have a mix of ages, and health issues and between us have had a bit to deal with outside rugby, I am not prepared to give up this particular pleasure just yet. This time next year we will consider again with whatever the situation is then. (I have given up other things in my life 'as a matter of principle' and taken the rap, but don't feel moved to do it with my season ticket just now.)

Convex Hull (IP Logged)
29 April, 2018 06:40
The social element of regular attendance seems to be the discriminator. I never imagined that the shareholders took on the financial burden of Saracens for any reason other than they enjoy all that it entails. That is not to belittle their charitable efforts, they are good people who want to have a positive input in their community.

However, all good things come to an end; it is up to the shareholders to determine how they spend their money, they don't have a duty to subsidise, indefinitely, the social lives of those that attend matches.

It is quite possible to argue that making the club financially self-sustaining is in the best interests of the employees, which is a primary duty of the board of directors.

The club has strived to achieve the point where a match ticket has a rarity value beyond the price printed on the front, that was always Edward Griffith's strategic ambition in order to make Saracens commercially viable.

Regardez mon visage. Suis-je bovvered?

TimH (IP Logged)
30 April, 2018 12:30
Just a quick footnote on this... if anyone is thinking of shifting to Red and Black and wants to be undercover (for example, in north or south), you may want to do it pretty sharpish. In the North there was little option for my wife, dad and I to sit together that wasn't in front three rows (and the rain!).

It seems the South, which is where I have plumped to move my seats, will be pretty much full with season ticket holders and rugby festival teams will be moved elsewhere as the stand fills up with bumped East stand fans.

Wayoutwest (IP Logged)
01 May, 2018 15:52
So the awards are at the end of the game next week.

What will happen when the CEO stands on the stage given the ticket fiasco?

Will he make an appearance?

Waldo (IP Logged)
01 May, 2018 16:59
I think he is up for an award himself "Business decision of the year" - presented by Gerald Ratner !

Dave Berko (IP Logged)
01 May, 2018 17:31
CEO?

Completely Expendable Oaf

Mac L (IP Logged)
04 May, 2018 11:14
I have empathy for those whose tickets have been re-classified. It is not the first time this has happened. Saracens did the same thing a few years ago, my silver was changed to gold, and still is luckily.

My bewilderment is the charge for direct debit payment. The price goes up as a proportion of the ticket price. It isn't to pay for the admin in affecting the process but another 'surcharge'. As a consequence, you have an increase in ST price (all do) and if you haven't he cash to pay as a one off you have to pay a lot more additionally to pay over 10 months.

I think the 'integrity ball' has been dropped by Saracens

GerryK (IP Logged)
04 May, 2018 11:27
What is the alleged early bird discount on renewal?, must have missed the club's reference to it

Jim 55 (IP Logged)
04 May, 2018 11:43
Quote:
GerryK
What is the alleged early bird discount on renewal?, must have missed the club's reference to it

I think it's the bit of bunce you get to spend in the club shop!!!!

GerryK (IP Logged)
04 May, 2018 11:46
Quote:
Jim 55
Quote:
GerryK

I think it's the bit of bunce you get to spend in the club shop!!!!

Thanks

Duncan96 (IP Logged)
04 May, 2018 15:23
Quote:
Waldo
I think he is up for an award himself "Business decision of the year" - presented by Gerald Ratner !

Hey Fellas, the price increases almost certainly haven't been driven by the CEO. NW will have been completely integral to this decision since it is he who has to raise £30 million for the new stand and training ground and knows he can't do that without giving up control of the club, unless he eliminates about £3 million of annual losses now so that those coming in with new money don't have to continue doing so on an annual basis.

So, if there's talk of booing people behind the decision would we boo Nigel Wray after all he's done to make Saracens what it is, and at a time when he has no choice but to eliminate those losses to raise the money to take the club forward?

Personally, I hope not as it would be a huge shame to put it mildly.

04 May, 2018 15:33
Whilst I am affected by new seat classification & am not particularly happy at club’s PR...I shall not be booing anyone on saturday smiling smiley

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net