rugbyunion
Latest News:
New Page 1

Whatever your views on Saracens, whether a Sarries fan or not, leave them here.

To leave a message on this board you must register. To register click HERE, it takes only a minute.
Non-rugby posts are welcome, but please prefix your subject header with "OT" or "Off Topic".

Thought for the Day:
CONGRATULATIONS TO THE SEVENS SQUAD -
1st SILVERWARE OF THE SEASON!

Latest: EXETER CHIEFS 10:27 SARACENS (Aviva Premiership Final)
Next: Bedford Blues v Saracens Sat 18th Aug Goldington Rd,
Audio: Click the link below. If it ain' there, it ain't on!
Upcoming TV:

BBC Online Rugby Union Commentaries

The Fish | Rugby Union News | Fez Boys | Saracens Fixtures | The SSA

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Come On Racing
TOKS (IP Logged)
20 April, 2018 13:26
Looking forward to the rare event of watching the semi-finals as a neutral this year.

Much as I applaud Scarlets for their rugby this season I think they will fall slightly short against a fine Leinster team playing at home. Leinster would be worthy finalists although with the advantages they enjoy in home venues, central contracting and resting of players the dice is very heavily weighted in their favour.

As regards the other semi very much want Racing to go through and get another chance in a final. There is very much to enjoy about that club, their ground and fans. And, of course, with impartial refereeing in the quarter finals, they would be up against Toulon. rather than the organisers' favourites. Hoping JP has a balanced game in this one but I do think an appointment of Wayne Barnes would have been eminently more sensible than someone born in Dublin. Do rugby organisers try to give themselves problems?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 20/04/2018 13:29 by TOKS.

Re: Come On Racing
NickL (IP Logged)
20 April, 2018 18:23
Generally I think JP is a decent ref these days, and really he's more neutral in this game than a Pro14 regular like Nigel Owens would be, but maybe this is payback for all the years that French sides benefited from the generosity of the scrupulously neutral and not-at-all French Monsieur Alain Pierre Rolland.

Seany_Boy0511 (IP Logged)
20 April, 2018 19:17
JP Doyle may be born in Dublin but he's an 'English' Referee.. I personally would like to see Matt Carley get a chance in a big European semi final or final as I believe he is a very good official

The Bard (IP Logged)
20 April, 2018 20:13
Quite agree. Very impressed with him at Tigers/Saints last Saturday

Adey (IP Logged)
20 April, 2018 20:30
Anyone but the Irish.

McSaracens (IP Logged)
20 April, 2018 21:34
Ill be in Bilbao for the final so Leinster vs Munster for me!

I believe it might have been said before, but there is something special happening at Saracens, and I want to be part of it. - Nils Mordt

F-F-F-FEZ (IP Logged)
20 April, 2018 22:25
Quote:
Adey
Anyone but the Irish.

Why?

Adey (IP Logged)
20 April, 2018 22:46
Quote:
F-F-F-FEZ
Quote:
Adey
Anyone but the Irish.

Why?

Insufferable when they win something. The plastics are even worse.

BigBri (IP Logged)
21 April, 2018 07:58
Quote:
Adey
Quote:
F-F-F-FEZ
Quote:
Adey
Anyone but the Irish.

Why?

There is not much that we win and we do love to celebrate a win! Trust me there will be no love lost between Munster and Leinster if they make the final. Ironically I think it would be bad for competition to be an all Irish Final so I am going for Munster vs Scarlets final

Burning the Boards London Style

[images.google.co.uk]

GazzaFez (IP Logged)
21 April, 2018 17:00
Racing were my early season pick to win the ECC this year. I think they're still in with a shout.

If they win their semi at least they know who'll be playing them in the final; Scarlets are being hammered 38-9 with 10 minutes to go. Leinster are looking pretty ominous.

OldMarovian (IP Logged)
21 April, 2018 17:40
Think that given who we were missing the Leinster performance has been put in a bit more context by todays result. I shall look forward to Eif posting about how poor Scarlets were (they weren't Leinster were just very good) as he had said Sarries were.

F-F-F-FEZ (IP Logged)
21 April, 2018 17:54
Quote:
BigBri
Quote:
Adey
Quote:
F-F-F-FEZ
Quote:
Adey
Anyone but the Irish.

Why?

There is not much that we win and we do love to celebrate a win! Trust me there will be no love lost between Munster and Leinster if they make the final. Ironically I think it would be bad for competition to be an all Irish Final so I am going for Munster vs Scarlets final

Adey - I couldn't disagree more. Of all the fixtures I've attended, international & club, the Irish are great post match company, win or lose.

Leinster Lady (IP Logged)
21 April, 2018 22:09
Quote:
F-F-F-FEZ
Quote:
BigBri
Quote:
Adey
Quote:
F-F-F-FEZ
Quote:
Adey
Anyone but the Irish.

Why?

Adey - I couldn't disagree more. Of all the fixtures I've attended, international & club, the Irish are great post match company, win or lose.
Thanks for that compliment.

GazzaFez (IP Logged)
22 April, 2018 15:38
Barely a quarter of the game gone and Racing are hammering Munster 21-3!

F-F-F-FEZ (IP Logged)
22 April, 2018 16:01
Hey - it's line out comedy time. What's up? Racing defence almost as good as ours and Teddy (I don't want a hat trick) Thomas is on fire. Munster look overwhelmed, that semi-final feeling again.
A Racing Leinster final is going to be some match mind you - there, the curse is delivered with 40 to go.

Sarriebone (IP Logged)
22 April, 2018 16:01
24-3 at half time

london pride (IP Logged)
22 April, 2018 16:07
The way Munster were playing in the last 10 minutes before half time, I don't think this game is over yet.24-3 down at half time sit back for a great second half.

vunipolae (IP Logged)
22 April, 2018 16:44
This Racing defence so far is as good as anything I've seen. Two superb tackles from carter since coming on

london pride (IP Logged)
22 April, 2018 17:10
Racing deserved to win that,thought the score line flattered Munster a little.Great defence from Racing though.

london pride (IP Logged)
22 April, 2018 17:10
Racing deserved to win that,thought the score line flattered Munster a little.Great defence from Racing though.

Innings (IP Logged)
22 April, 2018 18:01
Racing not fit enough to close out Leinster. Once the giants forwards were made to get moving they lost their effectiveness.

Innings

Points win matches: tries win hearts and minds.

The Bard (IP Logged)
22 April, 2018 18:14
I can't imagine Bilbao in mid-May will be any cooler than it was in Bordeaux, so Racing will struggle to keep going. With a bit more precision Munster could have made a real game of that in the second half. But Leinster look a class above Munster and I really can't see Racing beating them.

Highbury Saracen (IP Logged)
22 April, 2018 18:29
I thought Racing totally eased off in 2nd half & knew they had game won already
Im sure they will maintain intensity against Leinster as they know it will end badly otherwise
Not sure warmer temperature in Bilbao will give Leinster an advantage though

European champions 2016 & 2017

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 22/04/2018 18:52 by Highbury Saracen.

Man from LA (IP Logged)
22 April, 2018 18:44
Quote:
Adey
Quote:
F-F-F-FEZ
Quote:
Adey
Anyone but the Irish.

Why?

Oh the double irony...

primavesi (IP Logged)
23 April, 2018 10:24
Really glad Racing won, and sets up a cracking final (and atmosphere in Bilbao). Plus would much rather be sitting next to racing fans than munster fans banging on about how brilliant fans they are..

Obviously a shame Sarries didnt make it but I think the best 2 teams in Europe this year have made it which is as it should be.

23 April, 2018 10:55
Shows importance of having fit squad & finishing top of pile
Makes your job a tad easier in knockout stages
Agree the two best teams in competition this year

#wolfpack (IP Logged)
23 April, 2018 11:17
I also would like Racing to win as I feel the competition is loaded in favour of the Irish teams.
Compare and contrast the side they put out the week before their quarter final against us, and the side we put out.

It'll be an intriguing one. Racing are enormous and could blunt Leinster's power game. However, I fancy ill discipline, fitness and freshness to hand it to Leinster in the end.

GazzaFez (IP Logged)
23 April, 2018 12:20
Two contrasting styles. Leinster a well oiled machine, who play very well together as a team and with great intensity. Racing have gifted players, big players all of whom can turn a game on a sixpence and their defense is excellent, all in all very much in the mould of the Toulon team who won it three times. Leinster's game plan could unravel against such a big powerful team but it's a tough one to call. As mentioned before I'll be supporting racing.

JO'G (IP Logged)
23 April, 2018 13:15
Quote:
F-F-F-FEZ
Quote:
BigBri
Quote:
Adey
Quote:
F-F-F-FEZ
Quote:
Adey
Anyone but the Irish.

Why?

in general they are great company and like to make sure you are hammered by the end of the evening. They get a great sense of pleasure at a drunken Englishman

Munster supports from outside Ireland are different though - perhaps its the bigotry they suffer in the rest of the UK that colours them

#wolfpack (IP Logged)
23 April, 2018 14:12
The other reason I want Racing to win is because I increasingly dislike Jonny Sexton's whinging.

I don't have Sky so I couldn't watch the game on Saturday. Instead I listened to the very good commentary from BBC Radio Wales, and noted the constant refrain "Sexton has stayed down after that challenge... he doesn't look happy and we may need to go back and have a look at that... he looks to be in some difficulty... he has recovered enough to take the conversion and slots it right through the middle."

His fury - and the fury of the Leinster fans - when anyone has the temerity to tackle him is very tiresome.

23 April, 2018 16:28
Quote:
#wolfpack
His fury - and the fury of the Leinster fans - when anyone has the temerity to tackle him is very tiresome.

Carter the perfect opponent then, he's had plenty of similar accusations levelled at him!

I had an amazing time in Dublin last year for our semi-final, and every Munster fan we met was friendly and gracious.

But the online Irish fan base are a complete pain, with Leinster's far worse than Munster's, though Ulster take the prize. So I will be supporting Racing in the final.

TOKS (IP Logged)
24 April, 2018 14:41
It's amazing how one player can make such a difference. Munster had this Owens fellow playing for them in the quarter-final, then they inexplicably drop him for the Racing game and look what happens.

They say no one player makes a team but I would have to disagree - Owens has rescued them from near certain defeat on so many occasions in the past.

I'm sure they'll pick him again several times next season.

Rupes (IP Logged)
24 April, 2018 15:55
TOKS - what have you got against Munster?

I was lucky enough to be in Bordeaux. A wonderful occasion with VERY passionate fans from both sides. What's not to like?

But of course, they're a dreadful side and rely on Nigel Owens to rescue them all the time. Lest you forget, I think they got further in the competition than Saracens?

Rupes (IP Logged)
24 April, 2018 15:55

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 24/04/2018 15:57 by Rupes.

TOKS (IP Logged)
24 April, 2018 16:49
I have plenty against Munster but not against any of the other Irish teams.

In the era of the Heineken Cup Munster received no end of assistance from the Dublin-based ERC in terms of favourable outcomes to disciplinary hearings, venues, refereeing appointments.

The year they "beat" us in the semi final, they had Owens referee their final 5 games. He has rescued them (to use your word) on more occasions than I care to remember.

With any other referee they would not have been in this year's semi and thus would not have gone further than us. Not that that's important, you either win the thing or don't, it doesn't really matter at what stage you get knocked out.

I'm glad you had a good time in Bordeaux. And I'm glad Racing won.

Opinions, eh.

Editted to say....and I'm entirely consistent over sports, Rupes. Manchester United and Howard Webb evoke very similar emotions in me!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 24/04/2018 16:53 by TOKS.

Rupes (IP Logged)
25 April, 2018 10:26
Nothing like a good bit of irrationality, we all do it! LOL The Howard Webb / Man Utd one is interesting; oddly enough, a lot of Arsenal fans I know talk about Mike Dean like that, but in reverse terms. ie he is out to give as many decisions as possible against Arsenal.

As you said - opinions, eh, who'd have them? (Sm14)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 25/04/2018 10:26 by Rupes.

TonyTaff (IP Logged)
25 April, 2018 10:31
Racing's B Team didn't look unfit at Toulouse a week and a half ago. They were crap, but they scored three tries at the death!

676.97 (*) donated to the Saracens Foundation due to visits to the Sarries frontpage [www.rugbynetwork.net]

Please read and submit articles for publication. (*) As at October 31, 2017.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 25/04/2018 10:33 by TonyTaff.

TOKS (IP Logged)
25 April, 2018 16:14
Quote:
Rupes
Nothing like a good bit of irrationality, we all do it! LOL The Howard Webb / Man Utd one is interesting; oddly enough, a lot of Arsenal fans I know talk about Mike Dean like that, but in reverse terms. ie he is out to give as many decisions as possible against Arsenal.
As you said - opinions, eh, who'd have them? (Sm14)

The Howard Webb one is a massive conspiracy theory which has been running for years. It has slowed down a bit since Webb retired from playing for Man Utd but starts up again whenever anyone posts a picture of his house which is about half the size of South Yorkshire!

I hadn't heard the Mike Dean / Arsenal one but I suppose you only have those feelings if you support the club concerned. As a Liverpool fan I always dread seeing Martin Atkinson trot onto the pitch but I guess he has zero effect on, say, a Stoke or Watford fan.

Vive la irrationality!

25 April, 2018 22:15
[quote #wolfpack]I also would like Racing to win as I feel the competition is loaded in favour of the Irish teams.

But the competition was restructured a few years ago to eliminate any perceived loading in favour of the Irish teams.

Sarriebone (IP Logged)
25 April, 2018 22:25
So long as neither the Pro14/Top14 don't have relegation they will always have an advantage. They can afford to rest their top players and not worry about their domestic leagues. The Prem doesn't allow english teams that luxury.

26 April, 2018 09:12
[quote Leinster Lady][quote #wolfpack]I also would like Racing to win as I feel the competition is loaded in favour of the Irish teams.

But the competition was restructured a few years ago to eliminate any perceived loading in favour of the Irish teams.[/quote]

Hi LL.....whilst competition was restructured so was pro 14 & while you have central contracts & we dont, it will always favour you slightly!
Im not sure if you have read any of threads on here about ST prices but we cant pay top
prices & see even less of our top players,which would happen with a change in contractual situation of players
Sexton has played approx 60% less games than Farrell for example,this season
Looking forward to a great game in Bilbao be strange to be neutral smiling smiley

Dolph42 (IP Logged)
26 April, 2018 09:35
I think one of the things that works against the likability of some Irish fans is their wrongly held belief that changing the European Cup was a way to undermine their performance (and that it was all Nigel Wray's fault). The changes were introduced to provide equality by making the competition fairer - three leagues, three equal streams of revenue and equal qualification. The new competition, like the last, isn't perfect but the pools are all far harder to call now because the bottom 5 Pro 12 (as it was known) teams are no longer included - raising the minimum bar.

It is also never pointed out that the changes to the European Cup benefited the Pro 12 by making it competitive e.g. teams with no chance of a top 4 finish still have something to play for, and secondly by leading them to expansion and new revenue streams.

Central contracts do offer benefits, but they didn't stop us winning two on the bounce and the double, which incidentally involved 33 consecutive AP/EPRC weekends as there was no AW Cup (albeit no AIs, but played through each weekend of the 6Ns), just think about how big of an achievement that was!

26 April, 2018 10:31
Yes agree with that totally...cant see any other English club doing double unless its us again!

26 April, 2018 12:07
[quote Highbury Saracen][quote Leinster Lady][quote #wolfpack]I also would like Racing to win as I feel the competition is loaded in favour of the Irish teams.

But the competition was restructured a few years ago to eliminate any perceived loading in favour of the Irish teams.[/quote]

Hi LL.....whilst competition was restructured so was pro 14 & while you have central contracts & we dont, it will always favour you slightly!
Im not sure if you have read any of threads on here about ST prices but we cant pay top
prices & see even less of our top players,which would happen with a change in contractual situation of players
Sexton has played approx 60% less games than Farrell for example,this season
Looking forward to a great game in Bilbao be strange to be neutral smiling smiley[/quote]

Hi HS. The central contracts are in place to benefit the National side because they ensure that the national players are not overplayed. They don't tend to favour the provincial sides because the provincial coaches are not allowed select their best players as often as they would like. Howevr, if you think that central contracts are such a good idea why don't the RFU and PRL agree such contracts? The WRU and Welsh regions have agreed similar arrangements last year.

26 April, 2018 12:13
Dont think chairman of premiership clubs will ever agree to that LL as they want to charge top dollar to watch best players & we are already without our internationals 11/12 weeks if season
This season we have already seen clubs like Sale & Newcastle becoming much more competitive & its much harder to play them during internationals
Just to add we had a great time in Dublin over easter & enjoyed some great banter & the mutual respect between two sets of supporters smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 26/04/2018 12:18 by Highbury Saracen.

26 April, 2018 12:26
Quote:
Sarriebone
So long as neither the Pro14/Top14 don't have relegation they will always have an advantage. They can afford to rest their top players and not worry about their domestic leagues. The Prem doesn't allow english teams that luxury.

I understand that the PRL is contemplating the elimination of relegation. I don't think that this is a significant advantage for the Pro 14 teams. The reason the Irish teams rest players is due to the central contracts with the IRFU whereby the provincial coaches are only allowed play the national players a limited number of games.

TOKS (IP Logged)
26 April, 2018 13:02
So you don't think the fact that, out of 14 teams, two aren't allowed to qualify and 3/4 are pretty hopeless doesn't give the others an advantage? It's 7 out of 8/9 basically.

In the AP all teams are competitive (especially when you take the top players out for half of the season) and the relegation issue isn't that relevant - one good team goes down to be replaced by another good team.

Of course none of that is the Irish provinces' fault, it's just the reality. The only thing that changes each year is which competition Connacht qualify for.

26 April, 2018 13:47
Quote:
Highbury Saracen
Dont think chairman of premiership clubs will ever agree to that LL as they want to charge top dollar to watch best players & we are already without our internationals 11/12 weeks if season
This season we have already seen clubs like Sale & Newcastle becoming much more competitive & its much harder to play them during internationals
Just to add we had a great time in Dublin over easter & enjoyed some great banter & the mutual respect between two sets of supporters smiling smiley

On the one hand supporters of the National English Rugby Team complain that Ireland has an advantage due to Central Contracts and therefore were able to win the 6N grand slam. On the other hand supporters of the PRL teams complain that the Irish Provinces have an advantage due to Central Contacts but that Central Contracts are not suitable for the PRL. Is the reality not simply that the IRFU makes very good use of the very limited resources available to Rugby in Ireland? If the same resource management is not undertaken in England why complain about the Irish system?

#wolfpack (IP Logged)
26 April, 2018 13:50
There is no doubt the competition structure and the central contracts load the European cup towards a Pro14 side.

How many Leinster players involved in the Irish 6N squad played the week before the Saracens game?

#wolfpack (IP Logged)
26 April, 2018 13:53
Quote:
#wolfpack
There is no doubt the competition structure and the central contracts load the European cup towards a Pro14 side.
How many Leinster players involved in the Irish 6N squad played the week before the Saracens game?

This isn't sour grapes or anything. We were well beaten and to be honest we never looked like winning the competition this season. But I think the competition is skewed, which is why I would like Racing to win. I think it is a harder competition to win for teams from England or France.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net