rugbyunion
Latest News:
New Page 1

Whatever your views on Saracens, whether a Sarries fan or not, leave them here.

To leave a message on this board you must register. To register click HERE, it takes only a minute.
Non-rugby posts are welcome, but please prefix your subject header with "OT" or "Off Topic".

Thought for the Day:
HE WHO CONQUERS HIMSELF IS THE MIGHTIEST WARRIOR

Latest: GLASGOW WARRIORS 3:13 SARACENS
Next: Saracens v Lyon Sat 20th Oct, 17.30 Allianz,
Audio: Click the link below. If it ain' there, it ain't on!
Upcoming TV: Saracens v Lyon, Sat 20th Oct 17.15 BT Sport 2

BBC Online Rugby Union Commentaries

The Fish | Rugby Union News | Fez Boys | Saracens Fixtures | The SSA

I like Cipriani
boomer! (IP Logged)
10 May, 2018 11:47
I have always liked Danny Cipriani no matter whose shirt he wore; and after his return from AUS he came to AzP with Sale (IIRC) and had a storming game and although they lost he was my m-o-m.

Ok, so enough of the love fest.

My question is, if Cips is going to France next season and thus makes him ineligible for England selection, why is he going to South Africa this summer?

Re: I like Cipriani
Harbinger (IP Logged)
10 May, 2018 11:55
I'm sure I read somewhere that he was waiting to see what happens on the tour before signing a contract.
But it cant be much of a contract if the club are willing to wait like that?

Waldo (IP Logged)
10 May, 2018 11:59
Or could it be it hasn't been announced because he may be going to a club he is potentially going to be playing against in the next couple of weeks ? So it will be officially announced after that ?

I would say he probably won't come to us ( we don't need him) or Exeter ( i don't think he would fit in there well enough) - but it isn't beyond the realms of possibility Newcastle is on the cards !

Seany_Boy0511 (IP Logged)
10 May, 2018 12:02
Gloucester are also being rumoured to be interested bin Cips

Huxley (IP Logged)
10 May, 2018 12:06
Theres a rumour that Bath want him, and that theyd ship out Burns to get him. Id feel for Burns if that happened, he was treated poorly by Leicester to get Ford.

Seany_Boy0511 (IP Logged)
10 May, 2018 12:10
We could get a sweepstake going here, where will cipriani end up?! (Sm100)

AlanE (IP Logged)
10 May, 2018 12:18
Glos and Bath - so both Burns brothers under some sort of threat then.

I was 17 miles from Graybridge before I was caught by the school leopard

Huxley (IP Logged)
10 May, 2018 12:24
I steer clear of sweepstakes, I got London Irish to win the prem in my last sweepstake!

Wayoutwest (IP Logged)
10 May, 2018 12:56
He is too intermittent for me. Great game / Poor game.

Waldo (IP Logged)
10 May, 2018 12:57
Lets hope his next game is a poor game !

John Tee (IP Logged)
10 May, 2018 13:39
He is class and he offers something no one else can.
He has had his issues apparently and I can see him making a major difference for England if allowed.
I think Jones thought that was always the issue in accommodating him but his recent form made him hard to ignore, especially after the 6n's when our attack looked pretty clueless.
Say what else you like about Cipriani.. but he is a very deep thinker about the game and he knows how to drive an attack. Imo. Wasps and Sale have been proof of that and if you watch any of his playing time in Aus he had his moments in what was supposed to be a bad period.

Innings (IP Logged)
10 May, 2018 13:48
If the two playmaker style is to work at the highest level, I believe that Cipriani has become a far more rounded option than Ford. One is playing the best rugby of his career, but the other is struggling far too often to impose himself.

Innings

Points win matches: tries win hearts and minds.

Huxley (IP Logged)
10 May, 2018 14:14
Ive never understood the Cipriani cant defend argument, when they pick Ford. He gets brushed off far too many times a game.

AP (IP Logged)
10 May, 2018 19:55
Not defending well is not (too much) of an issue as you train for it. It was his general flakiness and ability to fall out with team mates that made him a dangerous pick. Plus his horrendous leg break knocked his form back.

But he is now a more interesting possibility again. If he plays 10 and Farrell is at 12, who would you have at scrum half out of Youngs, Robson and Spencer?

This tour may settle the Cipriani question - unless he's already signed for a French club!

Successful hills are here to stay
Everything must be this way
Gentle streets where people play
Welcome to the Soft Parade

nicsue (IP Logged)
10 May, 2018 22:49
I know Cipriani can blow hot and cold, but he does have that star quality (or whatever you like to call it) whereby you know he has the ability to change a game out of nothing. Granted it doesn't always work, but he is the type of player that I always sit up and watch when he is on the field as you never know when something special is going to happen. IMHO England didn't have anyone with that ability during the Six Nations. (Sincerely hoping he blows cold in the Semi Final!)

Sully08 (IP Logged)
11 May, 2018 09:03
Don't worry about the semi as apparently (according to the BBC website anyway) he is just focusing on the semi final v Exeter.

I know Newcastle are short of 10s and on the list of potential clubs for DC for next season but BBC rugby coverage is getting a little ahead of itself.

WOTAFLANKER (IP Logged)
11 May, 2018 11:27
On his day he is world class. I remember him ripping us apart at Vicarage Road way back. He reminds me of Ireland's Tony Ward back in the 70/80's who was also considered a maverick and was hugely 'under capped'.

Cips and Faz is an exciting combo.

Squawker2 (IP Logged)
11 May, 2018 17:02
Quote:
Seany_Boy0511
Gloucester are also being rumoured to be interested bin Cips

Good to see we are preemptively punishing him (Sm14)

-----------------------------------------------------

Stuart Barnes is a Cock Womble

thomh (IP Logged)
12 May, 2018 10:27
Quote:
Huxley
I�ve never understood the Cipriani can�t defend argument, when they pick Ford. He gets brushed off far too many times a game.

Very rarely see Ford get brushed off. He puts himself in the way of traffic and almost always makes the tackle or at least holds the carrier up until a heavier teammate arrives to complete it.

Cipriani in his early years was a genuinely dreadful defender because he was terrified of tackling. He was open about the fact that this was a psychological issue for him. I’ve not focussed on how much he’s improved it recently though.

SarrieSaint (IP Logged)
13 May, 2018 17:38
The three are certainly different defensively:

Farrell is the most aggressive of the three. For England he's leading the defensive line and is often the player to blitz where his role is often as much to put off the attacker, rush them into a mistake as to complete the tackle. The majority of his tackles are still rugby league type ones targetting the ball. On a relatively regular basis that leads to the opposition losing the ball in contact for a turnover however it also on quite a regular basis results in him getting bumped off the attacker. I'd guess he has comfortably the lowest tackle completion stat and yet he's an effective part of a defensive system and even his missed tackles rarely result in line breaks or significant MRs made behind the gainline.

Ford is an incredibly brave and tenacious defender with excellent technique but he can't beat the physics of being the smaller man in the vast majority of tackles he makes. He very rarely fails to complete his tackle but mostly at the expense of a significant loss of gainline until a secondary tackler brings the attacker to ground. Occasionally he will back off rather than push with the line and in those instances he has been guilty of creating dog-legs that the attackers have been able to exploit.

Cipriani has overcome his reputation as a revolving door and is now a decent defender even quite a good one if it's a covering tackle rather than head-on. I would guess his tackle completion rate is high and he doesn't give up significant ground. The main issue with his defence is that every once in a while he basically doesn't fancy it and simply doesn't put the effort in.

1876-Fez (IP Logged)
13 May, 2018 18:47
T'graph saying he's off to Glos
[www.google.co.uk]

SUPPORT Help for Heroes:
Help for Heroes

King Zak (IP Logged)
15 May, 2018 15:11
Im really surprised by this love. Why dont Wasps want him?? I assumed he was taking a pay ride in France - surely Glocs cant be offering much (if any) more than Wasps. With Gopperth not getting any younger, a very strange move - unless I missed an outstanding signing!!

Nous sommes l'arme noir et rouge !

Huxley (IP Logged)
15 May, 2018 15:27
Quote:
King Zak
Im really surprised by this love. Why dont Wasps want him?? I assumed he was taking a pay ride in France - surely Glocs cant be offering much (if any) more than Wasps. With Gopperth not getting any younger, a very strange move - unless I missed an outstanding signing!!

You may have missed that they signed Lima Sopoaga for next season. As I mentioned elsewhere, Cipriani was delaying deciding about a new Wasps contract, and Sopoaga showed interest so they signed him up. Think Wasps did the right thing in the situation.

King Zak (IP Logged)
15 May, 2018 21:47
Thanks Huxley, I do remember that now. A very good signing for Wasps - not DC got a good deal if hes seriously looking at RWC2019 though

Nous sommes l'arme noir et rouge !

TonyTaff (IP Logged)
16 May, 2018 16:19
Cups looked frightened of tackling Billy V, earlier this season.

In my youth, in South Wales, it was great to see mercurial (read 'inconsistent') fly-halves. The modern game is very different - I don't believe that he can be an international 10 these days.

676.97 (*) donated to the Saracens Foundation due to visits to the Sarries frontpage [www.rugbynetwork.net]

Please read and submit articles for publication. (*) As at October 31, 2017.

tpr's headmistress (IP Logged)
16 May, 2018 17:31
Cups! Did you go back to the bar after being the Merge Wizard?smileys with beer

TonyTaff (IP Logged)
17 May, 2018 14:08
Quote:
tpr's headmistress
Cups! Did you go back to the bar after being the Merge Wizard?smileys with beer

Yes, Kelham Island Wild Rider, an IPA at 5.5%, hic!

676.97 (*) donated to the Saracens Foundation due to visits to the Sarries frontpage [www.rugbynetwork.net]

Please read and submit articles for publication. (*) As at October 31, 2017.

JO'G (IP Logged)
18 May, 2018 14:14
Kelham Island ... wonderful

i'm a bit proud that when I had my free house I was a big supporter of the brewery when they were just starting. He came down south in his van about 6 times a year and I took about 6 x 9's off him each time. Lovely stuff

nicsue (IP Logged)
19 May, 2018 17:36
I hope Cipriani now goes to South Africa, gets picked, and plays a blinder.

The Bard (IP Logged)
19 May, 2018 17:38
In fairness he was superb today. Anyone watching the game today would be wondering how George Ford gets the England 10 shirt ahead of these two.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net